Lockdown (2010) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by the Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) promotion, which took place on April 18, 2010 at the Family Arena in Saint Charles, Missouri. It was the sixth event under the Lockdown chronology and the fourth event of the 2010 TNA PPV schedule. In the tradition of Lockdown events, every match took place inside a steel cage. It was the first Lockdown event with a four-sided steel cage.
Promotional poster featuring various TNA wrestlers
|Promotion||Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Date||April 18, 2010|
|City||Saint Charles, Missouri|
|Tagline(s)||Every Match Inside the Steel Cage|
The sixth installment to the Lockdown PPV chronology was first announced in a press release on January 16, 2010 regarding the February Against All Odds PPV event. The date and area of the event was not announced until February 4, 2010, when another press release proclaimed that it would take place on April 18, 2010 at the Family Arena in Saint Charles, Missouri. A tradition of the series is that all encounters take place inside a steel cage which will be continued. On January 17, 2010 at their Genesis PPV event, TNA discontinued the usage of their normal six sided ring, with a four sided ring being chosen instead. It was the first Lockdown to feature the traditional four-sided cage.
Lockdown featured nine professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
The headline match for the Lockdown event featured the TNA World Heavyweight Champion A.J. Styles defending his title against D'Angelo Dinero, who, at Against All Odds, won the opportunity to challenge for the title.
At the beginning of the show it was announced that X Division Champion Douglas Williams was unable to get to St Louis due to the massive flight cancellations worldwide and was therefore stripped of the title. The Motor City Machine Guns' match with Brian Kendrick and Homicide was changed to a four-man Xscape match, in which the winner would replace Williams in the X Division Title Match. Homicide was victorious, but was unable to capture the gold.
It was also announced that Syxx-Pac had no-showed the event and would not compete in his scheduled match teaming with Scott Hall to take on Team 3D. Later in the night it was announced that Hall needed to find a partner, or go into a handicap match against Team 3D. At the conclusion of Kevin Nash's match he announced he would replace Syxx-Pac as Hall's tag partner.
The night after Lockdown, Rob Van Dam defeated AJ Styles to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. A rematch would take place at Sacrifice, with Van Dam defeating Styles to retain the title.
After turning heel at Lockdown, Tara teamed up with the babyface duo of Sarita and Taylor Wilde in a losing effort against The Beautiful People in a match for all of the Knockouts championships. Tara later challenged Madison Rayne to a Title vs Career match at Sacrifice, which Rayne won to retain the title and end Tara's career. However, Tara would return at Victory Road and continue her status as a villainess by aligning with Rayne.
- Gerweck, Steve (2010-02-04). "Information for TNA's Lockdown PPV". WrestleView. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Lockdown PPV In April Returns To St. Louis". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Archived from the original on 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "TNA Lockdown 2010". Family Arena. Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Lockdown 2010". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- "Anthem, Impact announce Global Wrestling Network launch". Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- Martin, Adam (2010-01-16). "Details on TNA Against All Odds PPV". WrestleView. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
Who will overcome the odds to earn a shot at the TNA Heavyweight Championship at Lockdown?
- Martin, Adam (2010-01-17). "Genesis PPV Results - 1/17/10". WrestleView. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks, Inc. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Caldwell, James (2010-04-18). "Caldwell's TNA Lockdown Results 4/18: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of PPV - Styles vs. The Pope, Team Hogan vs. Team Flair, Angle vs. Anderson". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-04-18.