This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The local-express lane system is an arrangement of carriageways within a major highway where long distance traffic can use lanes with fewer interchanges compared to local traffic which use 'local' or 'collector' lanes that have access to all interchanges. This can also be called collector–distributor lanes within a single interchange. Where highway ramps between express and local/collector lanes cross over one another this is commonly known as braided ramps. One of the longest examples is Ontario Highway 401 between Etobiocoke and Pickering in Canada.
Given the considerable overall width of this design, new suburban freeways are often designed with interchanges spaced far enough apart to avoid the need for parallel roadways.
This concept is different from Express Toll Lanes.
The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with North America and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following examples include both local-express lanes and collector-distributor lanes.
- Ontario: Highway 401 in Peel Region, Toronto and Durham Region.
- Ontario: Gardiner Expressway (formerly QEW) from Wickman Road (west of Kipling Avenue) to Royal York Road, in Toronto. (2.7 km long)
- Ontario: Highway 400 in York Region, from the Highway 7 interchange to south of Langstaff Road (signed as exit 29 to Highway 7 rather than collector-express). (3.0 km long)
- Ontario: Highway 404 traffic from westbound 401 and eastbound 401 has a brief collector-express separation and ends just north of Sheppard Avenue East. (1.8 km long)
- Ontario: Highway 403 from the Highway 401/410 interchange to Cawthra Road. (3.4 km)
- Ontario: Highway 427 from Queen Elizabeth Way/Gardiner Expressway to Highway 401 in Toronto. (6.8 km)
- Ontario: Conestoga Parkway from Lancaster Street to Krug Street in Kitchener, Ontario. (2.3 km)
- Quebec: Autoroute 40 in Repentigny, Quebec.
- Nova Scotia: Nova Scotia Highway 118, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (southbound only). (2.2 km)
- Gebze: D.100 in Gebze, Kocaeli
- Istanbul: D.100 in Istanbul
- Istanbul: Kennedy Avenue in Yenikapı, Istanbul. (Express-lanes for the Eurasia Tunnel)
- Izmir: D.300 from Halkapınar to Kemalpaşa in Izmir.
- Malatya: D.300 through the city center of Malatya.
Signed Local-Express Lane SystemsEdit
- California: Interstate 5 from Interstate 805 to California State Route 56 in Sorrento Valley, San Diego, California. (2.5 miles)
- Illinois: The Dan Ryan Expressway (Interstates 90 and 94 in Chicago), between 71st Street and Interstate 55 (5.5 miles)
- Maryland: Interstate 270 in Montgomery County (between Montrose Road and Interstate 370 southbound and between Montrose Road and Montgomery Village Avenue northbound). (5.6 miles southbound; 8.3 miles northbound)
- Maryland: Interstate 95 in Baltimore County (Express Toll Lanes between White Marsh and Baltimore). (7.6 miles)
- New Jersey: The Garden State Parkway in New Jersey from the Raritan tolls to the Asbury Park tolls. (21.8 miles)
- New Jersey: Interstate 78 in northern New Jersey (between the New Jersey Turnpike/Interstate 95 and Route 24). (10.2 miles)
- New Jersey: Interstate 80 in northern New Jersey (Interstate 95-Garden State Parkway and Interstate 280-Interstate 287). (6.2 miles)
- New Jersey: New Jersey Turnpike/Interstate 95 from just north of U.S. Route 46 in Ridgeland Park to George Washington Bridge. (4.4 miles)
- New Jersey: Interstate 287 in central/north Jersey from Interstate 78 to U.S. Route 202/206. (3.0 miles)
- Ohio: Interstate 271 in Greater Cleveland between Interstate 480 in North Randall and Interstate 90 in Willoughby Hills. (13.9 miles)
- Virginia: Dulles Toll Road in Fairfax County, from Virginia State Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) to Washington Dulles International Airport (13.0 miles)
- Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland: Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway) in the Washington, D.C. metro area, between Telegraph Road in Alexandria, Virginia, and State Route 210 in Oxon Hill, Maryland, as the freeway crosses the Potomac River via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. (6.6 miles)
Other Qualifying Systems (including Collector-Distributer systems)Edit
- California: State Route 180 at the State Route 41 and the State Route 168 interchanges. in Fresno. This interchange is unusual because it also allows traffic to flow between State Route 41 and State Route 168, bypassing the State Route 180 main line, making it almost a double braided ramp.  Google Maps (1.1 miles)
- California: Interstate 5 at the El Toro Y from Lake Forest Drive to Irvine Center Drive in Irvine (2.2 miles)
- California: Interstate 10 west of downtown Los Angeles from the Harbor Freeway (Interstate and State Route 110) to Arlington Avenue. (2.4 miles)
- California: Interstate 805 (northbound only) in Chula Vista, between the H Street and E Street/Bonita Road exits. (0.9 miles)
- California: California State Route 87 (Guadalupe Parkway). Northbound only: from Interstate 280 to Julian Street along Downtown San Jose. (1.2 miles)
- California: California State Route 87 (Guadalupe Parkway). Southbound only: from Interstate 280 to Alma Avenue. (0.7 miles)
- California: U.S. Route 101 near San Francisco International Airport (1.7 miles)
- Georgia: Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta in Gwinnett County, between Exit 104 and Exit 109 collector distributor system (5.4 miles)
- Illinois: The Kennedy Expressway (Interstates 90 and 94 in Chicago), reversible express lane between Ohio Street (Chicago) and the Edens. (7.0 miles)
- Illinois: Illinois Route 53 between Interstate 290 at its south end and Kirchhoff Road follows a local-express format. (2.1 miles)
- Nebraska: West Dodge Road (U.S. Route 6) in Omaha, becomes a controlled-access freeway (the West Dodge Freeway) at westbound 93rd Street with elevated local-express lanes that allow drivers to bypass the 114th and 120th Street intersections. The express lanes are known locally as the West Dodge Expressway. West Dodge Road is technically more like a frontage road, due to multiple at-grade intersections. (1.5 miles)
- Nevada: Interstate 15 in Las Vegas, between Russell Road and Sahara Avenue (opened to traffic October 2009) and between Blue Diamond Road and Russell Road (northbound opened to traffic November 2011 and southbound currently under construction).
- New Jersey: U.S. Route 1/9 in northern New Jersey from Route 81 to US 1/9 Truck near Passaic River). (5.9 miles)
- New Jersey: Route 3 in northern New Jersey (between the New Jersey Turnpike western spur and New Jersey Route 495). (1.2 miles)
- New York: Westchester Avenue in Harrison at exits 9S and 9N from Interstate 287. (2.8 miles)
- New York: Interstate 495 in Elmhurst at exit 19. (1.4 miles)
- Ohio: Interstate 270 in Columbus between State Route 161 and McCutcheon Road (which is just north of Interstate 670). (3.3 miles)
- Pennsylvania: Roosevelt Boulevard (US 1) in Northeast Philadelphia is not an expressway, but instead simply a surface road with express and local roadways. (11.9 miles)
- Texas: US Route 54 (Patriot Freeway), in North East El Paso, from Interstate 10 interchange northward to Pershing Drive (entrance to Fort Bliss).(1.8 miles)
- Texas: Interstate 35, on the northwest corner of central San Antonio, from near Exit 156 interchange with Interstate 10 to Exit 158 interchange with Interstate 37. (1.8 miles)
- Texas: Interstate 35/Interstate 10 on the southwest corner of central San Antonio from near the Exit 155A interchange with TX Spur 536 to the Exit 154A interchange with TX Loop 353. (0.7 miles)
- Texas:Interstate 10 just northwest of Downtown San Antonio from Exit 567 to just north of Exit 570. (2.0 miles)
- Texas: Interstate 635 in northern Dallas the Express Toll Lanes from exit 19 to exit 27C near Interstate 35E (Note: the segment from Exit 9 to Exit 19 is a single lane in both directions, so it doesn't qualify as its own express-local system.) (9.9 miles)
- Washington: Interstate 5 through downtown Seattle, reversible express lanes from Yesler Way in Downtown to NE Northgate Way. (7.3 miles)
- Washington: Interstate 5 in Seattle marked as Exit 164A northbound and "to Interstate 90"/Exit 164 southbound. Goes from roughly Holgate Street to the 8th Avenue tunnel (1.7 miles)
- Wisconsin: Interstate 41/94 in Milwaukee between College Avenue and Interstate 43. (2.5 miles)
- A6 motorway (France), south of Paris
- A2 (/ N2), sections around Maastricht, Eindhoven, 's-Hertogenbosch, and Utrecht (all Netherlands)
- A4 The Hague and near Schiphol Netherlands have a basketweave braid in between two adjacent interchanges. Section around Leiden as well.
- A12, Utrecht, Netherlands
- A15, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- A16, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- M5 motorway, Bristol, England
- M60 motorway, Manchester, England
- M20 motorway, Maidstone, England
- M55 motorway, Preston, Lancashire, England
- M8 motorway, Glasgow, Scotland
- A38 road, Plymouth, England
- M30 motorway, Madrid, Spain
- AP-7, near Barcelona, Spain
- Marginal Tiete, São Paulo, Brazil
- Marginal Pinheiros, São Paulo, Brazil
- Avenida das Américas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Avenida Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Av. Constitución - Morones Prieto, Monterrey, Mexico
- Via Rápida Poniente y Oriente, Tijuana, Mexico
- Between Yenikapı - Bakırköy, Istanbul, Turkey
- M1 West Gate Freeway, between the M2 and Burnley Tunnel in Melbourne, Australia.
- M1 Warringah Freeway, between Miller Street and the Bradfield Highway in Sydney, Australia.
- Gloucester Road (west-bound from Canal Road West to Fenwick Street), East PointPoint and Wan Chai, Victoria City Hong Kong
- Prince Edward Road West (elevated and lower roadway from Pentland Street to Choi Hung Road), Kowloon, Hong Kong
- N1 outbound between Koeberg Road and the N7, in Cape Town, South Africa
- Lahore Ring Road, an 85 km long, 6 lane wide Ring Road around Lahore, Pakistan
- North–South Expressway Northern Route, between Jelapang and Ipoh South, Malaysia.
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Soedijatmo Toll Road, between Pluit and Penjaringan, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- D1/Einsteinova in Bratislava-Petržalka, Slovakia
- S2 in Warsaw, Poland → see map
- Connaught Road West, Victoria City, Hong Kong
- West Kowloon Highway and Lin Cheung Road, Kowloon and New Kowloon, Hong Kong
A view of North Access's Freeway at Buenos Aires, Argentina from the bridge on Pres H.Yrigoyen street at Florida, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Example of cloverleaf interchangesEdit
A cloverleaf interchange may have collector–distributor lanes on a freeway or expressway to handle entering and exiting traffic. Usually, this lane will begin as an entrance-only ramp initially, but it will sometimes become a main lane or possibly an exit-only lane. The purpose of this lane is to facilitate traffic to the freeway exits and from the freeway entrances.
- VDOT: Braided Ramp Demo. YouTube (2009-02-26). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- I-5 196th Braided Ramp animation. YouTube (2010-12-02). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- WSDOT - Project - I-405 – NE 8th St to SR 520 Braided Ramps – Interchange Improvements - Complete May 2012 Archived 2010-07-10 at the Wayback Machine. Wsdot.wa.gov. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- TxDOT IH-10 Section 3. PGAL. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- State Route 180 Braided Ramps Project. Dot.ca.gov. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to King's Hwy 401/MacDonald-Cartier Fwy". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google Maps. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to King's Hwy 401/MacDonald-Cartier Fwy/Hwy of Heroes". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google Maps. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Tele Atlas. "Driving directions to Unknown road". Google Maps. Mountain View, U.S.A.: Google Maps. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Media related to Local-express lanes at Wikimedia Commons