Llangadog (Welsh pronunciation) is a village and community located in Carmarthenshire, Wales, which also includes the villages of Bethlehem and Capel Gwynfe. A notable local landscape feature is Y Garn Goch with two Iron Age hill forts.
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
Llangadog was the administrative centre of the commote of Perfedd and had a castle, destroyed in 1204. Although the borough declined in the Middle Ages, Llangadog retained its market, which was frequented by drovers into the 19th century.
The railway station on the Heart of Wales Line provides regular train services via Transport for Wales Rail. The station had a siding for accessing the Co-op Wholesale Society creamery, allowing milk trains to access the site. After railway access was ceased in the late 1970s, the creamery continued to operate until 2005, when it closed with the loss of 200 jobs. The site has since been redeveloped as a pet food factory.
St Cadog's ChurchEdit
According to the 2011 Census, 58.1% of the community's residents aged three and above can speak Welsh, with 86.3% of 3-15 year olds being able to speak the language.
- "Community population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- The Welsh Academy Encyclopedia of Wales. Cardiff: University of Wales Press 2008.
- "200 jobs lost as creamery closes". BBC News. 6 April 2005. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- "Pet food manufacturer to open new production facility". Venture Wales. 13 September 2006. Archived from the original on 29 June 2007. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- "St Cadog's Church, Llangadog". Coflein. Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Llangadog C.P. School". Estyn. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Llangadog, Capel Gwynfe and Bethlehem community website
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llangadog and surrounding area
|This Carmarthenshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|