This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu (born 1 August 1976) is a Romanian (until 2014) and German (since 2014) chess grandmaster. His peak FIDE rating was 2707 in October 2005, when he was ranked fifteenth in the world, and the highest ranked Romanian player ever. His highly aggressive style of play has earned him a reputation of a modern-day Mikhail Tal.
|Full name||Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu|
|Country||Romania (until 2014)|
Germany (since 2014)
|Born||1 August 1976|
|FIDE rating||2680 (January 2019) |
(No. 118 on the September 2011 FIDE ratings list)
|Peak rating||2707 (October 2005)|
In 1999, Nisipeanu as a clear outsider made it to the semifinals of the FIDE World Chess Championship by beating Vasily Ivanchuk in round 4 and Alexei Shirov in the quarterfinals only to succumb to the eventual champion Alexander Khalifman.
Notable chess gamesEdit
- Liviu Dieter Nisipeanu vs Vlastimil Babula, 6th EU Ind. Ch. 2005, Sicilian Defense: Scheveningen Variation (B82), 1-0
- Liviu Dieter Nisipeanu vs Viktor Bologan, TCh-FRA Top 16 2006, Sicilian Defense: Najdorf Variation (B90), 1-0
- Veselin Topalov vs Liviu Dieter Nisipeanu, Mtel Masters 2007, Scandinavian Defense: Gubinsky-Melts Defense (B01), 0-1
- Vassily Ivanchuk vs Liviu Dieter Nisipeanu, World Chess Cup 2007, Bogo-Indian Defense: Grunfeld Variation (E11), 0-1
- "ChessBase News | Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu – a modern-day Tal?". Chessbase.com. 2003-12-18. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "ChessBase News | Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu new European Champion". Chessbase.com. 2005-02-07. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "ChessBase News | Topalov beats Nisipeanu 3:1". Chessbase.com. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- Nisipeanu switches to Germany