Live at the Orpheum
Live at the Orpheum is a live album by the band King Crimson, released by Discipline Global Mobile records in 2015. The album was recorded on 30 September and 1 October at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California on the band's The Elements of King Crimson US tour of 2014.
|Live at the Orpheum|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||30 September–1 October 2014|
|Label||Discipline Global Mobile|
|King Crimson chronology|
|All About Jazz|||
King Crimson's 2014 tour marked guitarist, founder and leader Robert Fripp's return to active service after a long legal battle with Universal Music Group. This line-up of King Crimson is notable for featuring three drummers, Pat Mastelloto, Gavin Harrison and Bill Rieflin. The other members of the band are long standing bass player Tony Levin, Mel Collins who was previously in the band from 1970 to 1972, also playing on Red in 1974, Jakko Jakszyk on guitar and vocals, and Robert Fripp.
All the shows on the tour were recorded on multitrack with Jakko Jakszyk sorting through the recordings. The two shows at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles were chosen for release. The album features 41 minutes of selections from the set and was released on 13 January 2015 on CD/DVD-A and heavy-weight vinyl.
|1.||"Walk On: Monk Morph Chamber Music"||Mel Collins, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin||2:34|
|2.||"One More Red Nightmare"||Fripp, John Wetton||6:07|
|3.||"Banshee Legs Bell Hassle"||Gavin Harrison||1:40|
|4.||"the construKction of light"||Adrian Belew, Fripp, Trey Gunn, Pat Mastelotto||6:32|
|5.||"The Letters"||Fripp, Peter Sinfield||4:57|
|7.||"Starless"||Bill Bruford, David Cross, Fripp, Richard Palmer-James, Wetton||12:15|
Other songs performed through the two shows but not included in either release: "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Parts One and Two" (Fripp, Bruford, Wetton, Cross, Jamie Muir; Fripp), "VROOOM/Coda: Marine 475" (Fripp, Bruford, Levin, Belew, Mastelotto, Gunn), "A Scarcity of Miracles" (Fripp, Collins, Levin, Harrison, Jakko Jakszyk), "Pictures of a City" (Fripp, Sinfield), "Level Five" (Fripp, Belew, Gunn, Mastelotto), "Red" (Fripp), "The Talking Drum" (Fripp, Bruford, Wetton, Cross, Muir), "Hell Hounds of Krim" (Mastelotto, Harrison, Bill Rieflin), "21st Century Schizoid Man" (Michael Giles, Fripp, Ian McDonald, Sinfield, Greg Lake), and "The Light of Day" (Fripp, Collins, Levin, Harrison, Jakszyk).
- King Crimson
- Front Line
- Pat Mastelotto – drums, electronic drums, percussion
- Bill Rieflin – drums, electronic drum, percussion, synthesizer, backing vocals
- Gavin Harrison – drums, percussion, mixing
- Back Line
- Mel Collins – saxophones, flutes
- Tony Levin – bass, extended-range bass, electric upright bass, Chapman Stick, funk fingers, backing vocals, photography (cover and road photos)
- Jakko Jakszyk – guitar, vocals, mixing, production engineering
- Robert Fripp – guitar, guitar synth, keyboards, Soundscapes, mixing
|US Top Tastemaker Albums (Billboard)||25|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||28|
|US Top Rock Albums (Billboard)||39|
- "Metacritic entry". metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Allmusic review". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "All About Jazz review". All About Jazz. Archived from the original on 1 April 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Popmatters review". Popmatters. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Discogs entry". Discogs. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "King Crimson Chart History (Top Tastemaker Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "King Crimson Chart History (Independent Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "King Crimson Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 14 November 2017.