Live! (Bob Marley & the Wailers album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Live! is a 1975 album by Bob Marley and the Wailers which was recorded live in concert during July 1975 at the Lyceum Theatre, London. The performance remains one of Marley's most famous. "No Woman, No Cry" was released as a single.
|Live album by|
|Released||5 December 1975|
|Recorded||17-18 July 1975|
|Venue||Lyceum Theatre, London|
|Producer||Bob Marley and the Wailers, Steve Smith, Chris Blackwell|
|Bob Marley and The Wailers chronology|
The album was recorded 17-18 July 1975 at the Lyceum Theatre, London. Danny Holloway, an Island Records employee, recorded the performances using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. The majority of the songs were recorded during the 17 July performance; "Lively up Yourself" was recorded during the 18 July performance.
The album was released on 5 December 1975 by Island Records as a vinyl LP. In 2001 it was released on CD. In 2016 a three disc release called the "Live! Deluxe Edition", became available in vinyl and CD formats, with recordings of both the 17 July and 18 July performances.
|Christgau's Record Guide||A–|
Reviewing Live! in Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies, Robert Christgau wrote, "The rushed tempos take their toll in aura: 'Trenchtown Rock' can be far more precise, painful, and ecstatic; like most live albums this relies on obvious material. But the material is also choice, unlike most live albums it's graced by distinct sound and economical arrangements, and the tempos force both singer and the band into moments of wild, unexpected intensity. I used to think Natty Dread's 'No Woman, No Cry' was definitive."
|1.||"Trenchtown Rock"||Bob Marley||4:23|
|2.||"Burnin' and Lootin'"||Bob Marley||5:11|
|3.||"Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)"||Leon Cogill, Carlton Barrett||4:36|
|4.||"Lively Up Yourself"||Bob Marley||4:33|
|5.||"No Woman, No Cry"||Vincent Ford||7:07|
|6.||"I Shot the Sheriff"||Bob Marley||5:18|
|7.||"Get Up, Stand Up"||Bob Marley, Peter Tosh||6:28|
|The Definitive Remastered edition (2001)|
|8.||"Kinky Reggae" (bonus track; originally the B-side of "No Woman, No Cry")||Bob Marley||7:35|
- Bob Marley and the Wailers
- Bob Marley – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Carlton Barrett – drums
- Aston "Family Man" Barrett – bass
- Tyrone Downie – keyboards
- Al Anderson – lead guitar
- Alvin "Seeco" Patterson – percussion
- Recorded at the Lyceum, London, 18 July 1975
- Live sound mixing: Dave Harper
- Live Monitor Engineer: CHIP CHASE (Eric Chipchase)
- Live recording by Rolling Stones Mobile
- Recording engineer: Steve Smith
- Mixed at: Basing Street Studios
- Mixing engineer: Phill Brown
- Many thanks to Don Taylor and Dave Harper for making everything happen.
- Bob Marley and the Wailers - produced the music
- Steve Smith & Chris Blackwell - produced the record
- Reissue supervised by Bill Levenson and Maxine Stowe with special thanks to the Marley Family and Chris Blackwell.
- Mastered from the original two track analog master tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, 2001.
- Tape research by Jane Hitchin, David Lascelles, and Zoe Roberts at Universal Tape Library, London.
- LIVE! (Island ILPS 9376) was originally released 5 December 1975.
|France (SNEP)||Gold||440,400 *|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: M". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved 4 March 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- "French album certifications – Bob Marley and the Wailers – Live" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Dutch album certifications – Bob Marley and the Wailers – Live" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Enter Live in the "Artiest of titel" box.