Liubech (Ukrainian: Любеч, Russian: Любеч, Polish: Lubecz) is an urban-type settlement, previously a small ancient town (first mentioned in 882) connected with many important events in the Principality of Chernigov since the times of Kievan Rus'. It is located in Chernihiv Raion, now in Chernihiv Oblast of northern Ukraine. Liubech is 200 kilometers (120 mi) north of the capital of Ukraine, Kyiv, and located near the Belarusian border. It hosts the administration of Liubech settlement hromada, one of the hromadas of Ukraine. Population: 1,939 (2021 est.)
|• Total||6 km2 (2 sq mi)|
In 1018 there was a great battle between the army of the Grand Prince of Kiev Sviatopolk the Accursed and the Prince of Novgorod Yaroslav the Wise who was rushing to seize power in the whole Rus'. In 1097 the Council of Liubech, also known as the Congress of Rus' Princes, was held here. It was initiated by Vladimir II Monomakh and divided the land of the Kievan Rus' between the princes.
In the 14th century, Liubech became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During the negotiations on the Union of Lublin (1569) King Sigismund II Augustus transferred it to Poland. In 1632, Polish King Sigismund III Vasa granted Lubecz city rights. It was a royal city of Poland. From 1635 to 1667 it was part of the Chernihiv Voivodeship of the Lesser Poland Province of the Polish Crown.
St. Anthony of the Caves (Anthony of Kiev) also known as Antony Pechersky, was born in Liubech in 983. He established the first Ukrainian monastery known now as Kyiv Pechersk Lavra, and is considered to be the father of East Slavic monasticism.
Until 18 July 2020, Liubech belonged to Ripky Raion. The raion was abolished in July 2020 as part of the administrative reform of Ukraine, which reduced the number of raions of Chernihiv Oblast to five. The area of Ripky Raion was merged into Chernihiv Raion.
- "Любецкая громада" (in Russian). Портал об'єднаних громад України.
- Чисельність наявного населення України на 1 січня 2021 / Number of Present Population of Ukraine, as of January 1, 2021 (PDF) (in Ukrainian and English). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.
- Delaney, John (2005). Dictionary of saints. Random House, Inc. p. 702. ISBN 9780385515207.
- "Про утворення та ліквідацію районів. Постанова Верховної Ради України № 807-ІХ". Голос України (in Ukrainian). 2020-07-18. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- "Нові райони: карти + склад" (in Ukrainian). Міністерство розвитку громад та територій України.