Liu He (politician)
Liu He (Chinese: 刘鹤; pinyin: Liú Hè; born 25 January 1952) is a Chinese economist and politician, a current member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of China, the Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China, and the director of the General Office serving the Central Financial and Economic Affairs Commission of the Communist Party of China; the latter headed by Party General Secretary Xi Jinping. He was named vice-premier on 19 March 2018 and is heading the Financial Stability and Development Committee.
Liu He in 2018
|Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China|
|Assumed office |
19 March 2018
|Director of the Central Financial and Economic Affairs Commission Office|
|Assumed office |
20 March 2013
|General secretary||Xi Jinping|
|Preceded by||Zhu Zhixin|
|Born||25 January 1952|
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Education||Renmin University of China|
Liu graduated from Renmin University-Beijing Union University with a degree in industrial economics. He later studied at Seton Hall University and received his Masters of Public Administration at Harvard University.
He has published widely on macroeconomics, Chinese industrial and economic development policy, new economic theory and the information industry. He worked successively for the National Planning Commission, the State Information Center, and the Development Research Center of the State Council.
Beginning in 2013, Liu began advising General Secretary Xi Jinping on a series of economic initiatives, and was believed to be one of the primary architects of Chinese economic policy at the time. He was also a member of the Party 18th Central Committee. Liu gave a keynote address to the 2018 World Economic Forum in Davos.
At the 19th Party Congress in October 2017, Liu was promoted to the Politburo. In March 2018, Liu He was appointed as a Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China. In May 2018, Liu He, was also appointed top trade negotiator for the China–United States trade war. In early October 2019, Liu He negotiated with his US counterparts on a preliminary trade deal.
He has been described as "one of the technocrats that Xi Jinping trusts a great deal".
- "Liu He". China Vitae. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "China's Liu He to take broad economic role as vice-premier". Financia Times. 19 March 2018.
- "Liu He: China's new one-man debt bomb disposal unit". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Vitae, China. "China Vitae : Biography of Liu He". www.chinavitae.com. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Bradsher, Keith (January 28, 2018). "At Davos, the Real Star May Have Been China, Not Trump". The New York Times.
- "国务院副总理、国务委员、各部部长完整名单". Xinhua. 2018-03-19. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "'You're very tough negotiators': Trump's truce in China-US trade war". ABC News. 2019-10-12. Retrieved 2019-10-27.