Lists of mammals by population
This is a collection of lists of mammal species by the estimated global population, divided by orders. (Lists only exist for some orders; e.g. the most diverse order - rodents - is missing.) Much of the data in these lists were created by the IUCN's Global Mammal Assessment Team, which consists of 1700 mammalogists from over 130 countries. They recognize 5488 species in the class.
These lists are not comprehensive, as not all mammals have had their numbers estimated. For example, a live specimen of the spade-toothed whale was first observed in December 2010, and the event only recognized as such in November 2012; no estimate yet exists for the global population. The accuracy of the quote numbers may only be an order of magnitude.
Lists by taxonomic orderEdit
- List of even-toed ungulates by population – bos species, bovidae artiodactyls, suiformes, camelidae species, cervidae artiodactyls, giraffa species, hippopotami.
- List of odd-toed ungulates by population – equines, rhinoceros, tapirs.
- List of carnivorans by population – domestic and wild feliformians & caniformians, pinnipeds, ursid species, musteloidea species, herpestidae species, etc.
- List of bats by population – Chiropterans.
- List of cetacean species with population estimates – dolphins, porpoises, whales.
- List of primates by population – Hominoideans (including humans and chimpanzees), lemurs, old world and new world primates.
- List of elephant species by population – Elephants.
- List of marsupials by population – Wombats, koalas and kangaroos.
- IUCN (n.d.). "Initiatives:Mammals". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. IUCN. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- IUCN (n.d.). "Initiatives:Mammals:Acknowledgements". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. IUCN. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Thompson, Kirsten; C. Scott Baker; Anton van Helden; Selina Patel; Craig Miller; Rochelle Constantine (6 November 2012). "The world's rarest whale". Current Biology. 22 (21): R905–R906. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2012.08.055. PMID 23137682.
|This article includes a species-related list of lists.|