List of years in film
This page indexes the individual year in film pages. Each year is annotated with its significant events.
19th century in filmEdit
- 1886 – Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince is granted an American dual patent on a 16-lens device combining a motion picture camera and projector.
- 1888 – The Roundhay Garden Scene, the earliest surviving film, is shot in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England by Le Prince at a groundbreaking 20 frames per second. Thomas Edison describes the concept of the Kinetoscope, an early motion picture exhibition device.
- 1889 – Eastman Kodak is the first company to produce film on a flexible transparent base of celluloid. The first moving pictures on celluloid film are made in Hyde Park, London by William Friese Greene.
- 1890 – William Kennedy Dickson completes his work for Thomas Edison on the Kinetograph cylinder in either this year or 1889. Monkeyshines No. 1 is the first film shot on the system.
- 1891 – Thomas Edison applies for a patent on the motion picture camera, and gives the first public presentation of his Kinetoscope for the National Federation of Women's Clubs.
- 1892 – The Kinetoscope is completed by William Kennedy Dickson, who is employed by Thomas Edison. In France, Charles-Émile Reynaud begins public screenings in Paris at the Théâtre Optique, creating 15-minute moving images by winding reels of hundreds of drawings through his Projecting Praxinoscope, similar to the Zoetrope. The Eastman Company becomes the Eastman Kodak Company. Max Skladanowsky develops a camera and shoots his first footage, but its unusual interleaved image format ultimately leaves him unable to exhibit it until the Bioskop projector is completed in late 1895.
- 1893 – Thomas Edison is granted Patent #493,426 for "An Apparatus for Exhibiting Photographs of Moving Objects", the Kinetoscope. He builds "America's First Movie Studio", the Black Maria, in West Orange, New Jersey. The premiere of the completed Kinetoscope is held May 9 at the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences. The first film publicly shown on the system is Blacksmith Scene (aka Blacksmiths).
- 1894 – William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for motion picture film. Thomas Edison records Fred Ott's sneeze. Auguste and Louis Lumière patent the Cinématographe, a combination movie camera and projector.
- 1895 – The cinématographe is patented, and the first footage shot on it March 19. The Lumière brothers hold their first private motion-picture screening on March 22 at L'Eden, the world's first and oldest cinéma (movie theater), in La Ciotat, France. Gaumont Pictures is founded by engineer-turned-inventor Léon Gaumont. In the US, the Dickson Experimental Sound Film presents two men dancing to the music of a violinist, in what the documentary The Celluloid Closet calls "the first gay cinema reference". The first screening of movies where admission is charged takes place on December 28 at the Salon Indien du Grand Café in Paris. The historical screening contains ten short films:
- La Sortie de l'usine Lumière à Lyon (Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory), 46 seconds
- La Voltige ("Horse Trick Riders"), 46 seconds
- La Pêche aux Poissons Rouges ("Fishing for Goldfish"), 42 seconds
- Le Débarquement du Congrès de Photographie à Lyon ("The Disembarkment of the Congress of Photographers in Lyon"), 48 seconds
- Les Forgerons ("Blacksmiths"), 49 seconds
- Le Jardinier (l'Arroseur Arrosé) ("The Gardener, [The Sprinkler Sprinkled]"), 49 seconds
- Le Repas de bébé ("Baby's Meal"), 41 seconds
- Le Saut à la Couverture ("Jumping Onto the Blanket"), 41 seconds
- La Place des Cordeliers à Lyon ("Cordeliers Square in Lyon – a Street Scene"), 44 seconds
- La Mer (Baignade en Mer) ("The Sea [Bathing in the Sea]"), 38 seconds
In Germany, Emil and Max Skladanowsky develop their own film projector and successfully test it on November 1 in Berlin. The American Mutoscope and Biograph Company is founded in New Jersey by the KMCD Syndicate of William Kennedy Dickson, Henry Marvin, Herman Casler and Elias Koopman. Woodville Latham and his sons develop the Latham Loop, which utilizes loose loops of film on either side of the intermittent movement to prevent stress on the film. IT is debuted in the Eidoloscope, which is also the first widescreen format (1.85:1). Herman Casler of the American Mutoscope Company (aka American Mutoscope and Biograph Company) manufactures the Biograph 68 mm camera, which will become the first successful large format 68 mm (70 mm) film.
- 1896 – Pathé Frères is founded. In Britain, Birt Acres and Robert W. Paul develop their own film projector, the Theatrograph (later known as the Animatograph). Georges Méliès buys an English projector from Robert William Paul and shoots his first films. A projector called the Vitascope is designed by Charles Francis Jenkins. The first theater in the US dedicated exclusively to motion pictures is Vitascope Hall on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The first screen kiss occurs between May Irwin and John Rice in The Kiss. The first female film director, Alice Guy-Blaché, presents The Cabbage Fairy. Cinema reaches India when the Lumière Brothers's Cinematography is shown at the Watson Hotel in Bombay; it consists of the six short silent films Entry of Cinematographe, La Mer (Baignade en mer), L'Arrivée d'un Train en Gare de la Ciotat, A Demolition, Ladies & Soldiers on Wheels and Sortie de l'usine Lumière à Lyon. The Lumière Brothers also tour London and New York.
- 1897 – Vitagraph is founded in New York. The Prestwich Camera is patented in England. Harischandra Sakharam Bhatvadekar, alias Save Dada, imports a cine-camera from London at a price of 21 guineas and films the first Indian documentary film, a wrestling match in Hanging Gardens, Bombay. Daily screenings of films commence in Bombay by Clifton and Co.'s Meadows Street Photography Studio. 125 people die during a film screening at the Charity Bazaar in Paris when a curtain catches fire from the ether used to fuel the projector lamp.
- 1898 – Méliès starts producing films under his Star Film brand, and directs brief commercials. Hiralal Sen starts filming scenes of theatre productions at the Classic Theatre in Calcutta.
- 1899 – The Dreyfus Affair and Cinderella (the story's first film version) are released by Méliès. They are the first long-footage (over 100 meters) films with montage, and the latter contains the first photographic dissolve (or fade). Méliès also writes and directs Jeanne d'Arc, which removes the viewer from spatial relations and institutionalizes the use of the close-up.
- 1900 – Earliest known colour motion picture film footage by Edward Raymond Turner, Sherlock Holmes Baffled, The Enchanted Drawing, Joan of Arc
- 1901 – Star Theatre, Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost, Fire!, The Man with the Rubber Head, Stop Thief!
- 1902 – A Trip to the Moon
- 1903 – The Great Train Robbery, Life of an American Fireman
- 1904 – The Impossible Voyage; Titanus is founded
- 1905 – Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; or, Held for Ransom
- 1906 – The Story of the Kelly Gang, Humorous Phases of Funny Faces, Dream of a Rarebit Fiend; Nordisk Film is founded
- 1907 – Ben Hur, L'Enfant prodigue
- 1908 – Fantasmagorie, The Taming of the Shrew, The Thieving Hand, The Assassination of the Duke of Guise, A Visit to the Seaside; first use of Kinemacolor; Pathé News invents the newsreel
- 1909 – The Country Doctor, A Corner in Wheat, Les Misérables, Princess Nicotine; or, The Smoke Fairy; 35 mm film becomes an international standard.
- 1910 – In Old California, In the Border States, White Fawn's Devotion
- 1911 – L'Inferno, Defence of Sevastopol, Baron Munchausen's Dream, Little Nemo, The Lonedale Operator
- 1912 – Independenţa României, The Musketeers of Pig Alley; Universal Pictures and Paramount Pictures, Hollywood's first studios, are founded
- 1913 – The Bangville Police, Barney Oldfield's Race for a Life, Fantômas, Raja Harishchandra
- 1914 – The Perils of Pauline, Judith of Bethulia, Tillie's Punctured Romance, Cabiria
- 1915 – The Birth of a Nation, Les Vampires, The Tramp, A Fool There Was
- 1916 – Intolerance, The Queen of Spades, Gertie the Dinosaur, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, One A.M.; invention of Technicolor
- 1917 – Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, A Man There Was, The Little Princess
- 1918 – Stella Maris, Mickey, Shifting Sands, A Dog's Life, Shoulder Arms
- 1919 – Blind Husbands, Broken Blossoms, True Heart Susie, Male and Female, Dalagang Bukid, A Day's Pleasure; United Artists is founded.
- 1920 – Way Down East, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem: How He Came into the World, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Mark of Zorro, The Flapper
- 1921 – The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Phantom Carriage, The Kid, Laurel and Hardy, Destiny, The Sheik, Camille, Fool's Paradise, The Mechanical Man, The Phantom Carriage, Tol'able David
- 1922 – Nosferatu, Nanook of the North, Blood and Sand, Foolish Wives, Dr. Mabuse the Gambler, The Little Rascals
- 1923 – Safety Last!, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Ten Commandments; Warner Bros. Pictures and Walt Disney Pictures are founded; 16 mm film introduced
- 1924 – Greed, Sherlock Jr., He Who Gets Slapped, The Last Laugh; Columbia Pictures and Metro Goldwyn Mayer are founded
- 1925 – The Battleship Potemkin, The Big Parade, The Gold Rush, The Phantom of the Opera, Ben-Hur
- 1926 – The General, Don Juan, Son of the Sheik, The Adventures of Prince Achmed
- 1927 – Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Napoléon, The Jazz Singer, Metropolis, The King of Kings, Wings
- 1928 – The Passion of Joan of Arc, Lights of New York, The Circus, Steamboat Willie (first Mickey Mouse cartoon), The Crowd; RKO Pictures is founded
- 1929 – Blackmail, The Virginian, Pandora's Box, The Broadway Melody, Disraeli; 1st Academy Awards
- 1930 – Looney Tunes, All Quiet on the Western Front, Journey's End, Hell's Angels, The Blue Angel, Abraham Lincoln, Animal Crackers, Anna Christie, The Divorcee, Tom Sawyer, The Big House
- 1931 – Frankenstein, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, City Lights, M, The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Cimarron, East Lynne, The Front Page, Skippy, Trader Horn, The Champ
- 1932 – The Mummy, The Sign of the Cross, Shanghai Express, Scarface, Freaks, Grand Hotel; 8 mm film released
- 1933 – King Kong, The Invisible Man, Duck Soup, 42nd Street, Queen Christina, She Done Him Wrong
- 1934 – It Happened One Night, Cleopatra, The Thin Man, Judge Priest, The Black Cat, The Three Stooges, Manhattan Melodrama, The Goddess
- 1935 – A Night at the Opera, Bride of Frankenstein, Captain Blood, The 39 Steps, The Littlest Rebel, Mutiny on the Bounty; 20th Century Fox and The Rank Organisation are founded
- 1936 – Modern Times, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, My Man Godfrey, The Great Ziegfeld, Flash Gordon, Secret Agent, Come and Get It
- 1937 – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, La Grand Illusion, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Life of Emile Zola, Way Out West, Lost Horizon, Pépé le Moko
- 1938 – Bringing Up Baby, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Alexander Nevsky, Angels with Dirty Faces, Jezebel, Boys Town
- 1939 – Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Stagecoach, Gunga Din
- 1940 – His Girl Friday, The Grapes of Wrath, The Philadelphia Story, The Great Dictator, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Rebecca, Tom and Jerry, The Mark of Zorro, The Shop Around the Corner, Kitty Foyle, The Long Voyage Home, All This, and Heaven Too, Foreign Correspondent, The Letter, Our Town, Road to... series
- 1941 – Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, The Lady Eve, How Green Was My Valley, Sergeant York, Dumbo, The Wolf Man, Blossoms in the Dust, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Hold Back the Dawn, The Little Foxes, One Foot in Heaven, Suspicion, Superman (original animated theatrical series)
- 1942 – Casablanca, The Magnificent Ambersons, To Be or Not to Be, Cat People, Bambi, Mrs. Miniver, Yankee Doodle Dandy
- 1943 – Heaven Can Wait, Phantom of the Opera, The Song of Bernadette, Shadow of a Doubt, The Ox-Bow Incident
- 1944 – Double Indemnity, Ivan the Terrible, Meet Me in St. Louis, To Have and Have Not, Laura, Murder, My Sweet, Gaslight
- 1945 – Leave Her to Heaven, The Lost Weekend, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Rome, Open City, Brief Encounter, Anchors Aweigh, Spellbound
- 1946 – It's a Wonderful Life, Notorious, My Darling Clementine, Song of the South, Great Expectations, The Big Sleep, The Best Years of Our Lives; First Cannes Film Festival
- 1947 – Miracle on 34th Street, The Lady from Shanghai, Odd Man Out, Monsieur Verdoux, Out of the Past
- 1948 – Bicycle Thieves, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Red River, The Red Shoes, The Paleface; 1st British Academy Film Awards
- 1949 – The Third Man, All the King's Men, White Heat, The Heiress, Whisky Galore!, On the Town
- 1950 – Sunset Boulevard, All About Eve, Los Olvidados, Annie Get Your Gun, In a Lonely Place, Harvey, Cinderella, Father of the Bride, Rashomon, Orphée, Born Yesterday, King Solomon's Mines
- 1951 – A Streetcar Named Desire, Alice in Wonderland, The African Queen, Strangers on a Train, An American in Paris, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Ace in the Hole, Scrooge, The Red Badge of Courage, Quo Vadis, A Place in the Sun, Decision Before Dawn
- 1952 – Singin' in the Rain, The Bad and the Beautiful, High Noon, This Is Cinerama, Ikiru, The Quiet Man, Moulin Rouge, Limelight; first 3D films
- 1953 – Peter Pan, From Here to Eternity, Tokyo Story, Ugetsu, The Earrings of Madame de..., Calamity Jane, The Band Wagon, Trouble in Store, Shane, The Robe, Salome; Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, first use of CinemaScope; British cinema advertising group Pearl & Dean is founded.
- 1954 – The Seven Samurai, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, La Strada, White Christmas, Sansho the Bailiff, On the Waterfront, Godzilla, A Star Is Born, Animal Farm, Voyage in Italy
- 1955 – Rebel Without a Cause, To Catch a Thief, The Night of the Hunter, Ordet, Pather Panchali, Mister Roberts, Lady and the Tramp, Marty, The Court Jester, Oklahoma!
- 1956 – The Ten Commandments, Carousel, The King and I, Giant, High Society, The Searchers, Written on the Wind, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Forbidden Planet, Around the World in 80 Days
- 1957 – 12 Angry Men, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Sweet Smell of Success, Paths of Glory, Throne of Blood, Old Yeller
- 1958 – Vertigo, Gigi, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, South Pacific, Touch of Evil, Ashes and Diamonds, Jalsaghar, Mon Oncle, The Cranes Are Flying, The Blob, The Defiant Ones, Carry On series
- 1959 – Some Like It Hot, Ben-Hur, Shake Hands with the Devil, North by Northwest, Anatomy of a Murder, Sleeping Beauty, Rio Bravo, Pickpocket, Pillow Talk, The Mouse That Roared
- 1960 – Psycho, Breathless, Exodus, Spartacus, The Apartment, The Alamo, La Dolce Vita, L'Avventura, Ocean's 11, The Magnificent Seven, The Time Machine, Pollyanna, Eyes Without a Face, Swiss Family Robinson, Elmer Gantry, Sons and Lovers, The Sundowners
- 1961 – West Side Story, Judgment at Nuremberg, Divorce, Italian Style, Yojimbo, Breakfast at Tiffany's, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Havoc in Heaven, The Guns of Navarone, A Majority of One, Pocketful of Miracles
- 1962 – Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill a Mockingbird, James Bond film series, The Manchurian Candidate, Ivan's Childhood, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Lolita, Sundays and Cybele
- 1963 – The Birds, Hud, Not on Your Life, The Haunting, The Great Escape, Lilies of the Field, 8½, Cleopatra, How the West Was Won, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Pink Panther, The Nutty Professor, Jason and the Argonauts
- 1964 – Mary Poppins, A Hard Day's Night, A Fistful of Dollars, My Fair Lady, Dr. Strangelove, The Pink Panther cartoon series, Woman in the Dunes, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Up series
- 1965 – The Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago, For a Few Dollars More, The Great Race, Cat Ballou, Repulsion
- 1966 – Persona, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Sand Pebbles, A Man for All Seasons, The Battle of Algiers, Fantastic Voyage, Born Free, Alfie, The Wild Angels
- 1967 – Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Cool Hand Luke, In the Heat of the Night, Dont Look Back, The Jungle Book, The Dirty Dozen, The Producers, Doctor Dolittle, Thoroughly Modern Millie
- 1968 – 2001: A Space Odyssey, Once Upon a Time in the West, Rosemary's Baby, Night of the Living Dead, Planet of the Apes, Oliver!, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Love Bug, Yellow Submarine, Bullitt, Yours, Mine and Ours, Funny Girl
- 1969 – Midnight Cowboy, True Grit, Easy Rider, Z, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch, Sweet Charity, Hello, Dolly!, The Italian Job
- 1970 – Love Story, Performance, The Aristocats, Five Easy Pieces, Patton, M*A*S*H, The Conformist, Woodstock, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Airport, Let It Be, Two Mules for Sister Sara; first IMAX films
- 1971 – The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Dirty Harry, The Last Picture Show, Fiddler on the Roof, Billy Jack, Shaft, Duel, Get Carter, Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- 1972 – The Godfather, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Solaris, Cries and Whispers, Deep Throat, Last Tango in Paris, What's Up, Doc?, Cabaret, The Poseidon Adventure
- 1973 – The Exorcist, Don't Look Now, Badlands, Amarcord, The Sting, Enter the Dragon, Mean Streets, American Graffiti, Paper Moon, The Wicker Man, Papillon
- 1974 – A Woman Under the Influence, The Godfather Part II, Chinatown, The Conversation, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Towering Inferno, That's Entertainment!
- 1975 – Jaws, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, Nashville, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail; videocassette recorders appear on mass market
- 1976 – Taxi Driver, Rocky, Network, Carrie, All the President's Men, In the Realm of the Senses, 1900, A Star is Born, Logan's Run, The Omen, Bugsy Malone, The Outlaw Josey Wales
- 1977 – Star Wars, Annie Hall, A Bridge Too Far, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever, Providence, Pete's Dragon, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Hills Have Eyes, Suspiria, Eraserhead
- 1978 – Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Grease, Midnight Express, Days of Heaven, The Deer Hunter, Superman, Up In Smoke, National Lampoon's Animal House, Watership Down
- 1979 – Apocalypse Now, Mad Max, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Alien, Kramer vs. Kramer, Manhattan, Stalker, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Muppet Movie
- 1980 – The Shining, Raging Bull, Ordinary People, Kagemusha, Airplane!, Caddyshack, The Blues Brothers, Flash Gordon, Friday the 13th, Fame, 9 to 5, Coal Miner's Daughter, The Elephant Man, Gloria, Private Benjamin
- 1981 – Raiders of the Lost Ark, On Golden Pond, Chariots of Fire, Pennies from Heaven, Das Boot, Reds, Blow Out, The Evil Dead, Arthur, Cannonball Run, Scanners, Time Bandits, Clash of the Titans, An American Werewolf in London
- 1982 – E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Blade Runner, Sophie's Choice, Poltergeist, Fitzcarraldo, Fanny and Alexander, Tootsie, Gandhi, Tron, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 48 Hrs., Annie, First Blood, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Thing, The Dark Crystal, An Officer and a Gentleman
- 1983 – Michael Jackson's Thriller, Sans Soleil, L'Argent, Terms of Endearment, The King of Comedy, The Right Stuff, Risky Business, Nostalghia, Flashdance, Trading Places, A Christmas Story, Sudden Impact, Sleepaway Camp, Scarface, National Lampoon's Vacation; THX sound system is developed
- 1984 – This Is Spinal Tap, Amadeus, The Karate Kid, The Terminator, Once Upon a Time in America, Ghostbusters, Paris, Texas, Gremlins, Footloose, Police Academy, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Red Dawn, Beverly Hills Cop, The NeverEnding Story
- 1985 – Back to the Future, Come and See, Ran, Brazil, Shoah, Out of Africa, The Breakfast Club, The Color Purple, Cocoon, The Goonies, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, A Room with a View
- 1986 – Blue Velvet, Aliens, The Sacrifice, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Stand by Me, Hannah and Her Sisters, Platoon, Top Gun, Crocodile Dundee, Luxo Jr., An American Tail, Three Amigos, Labyrinth, The Fly, Short Circuit, Little Shop of Horrors
- 1987 – Fatal Attraction, Wings of Desire, The Dead, Dirty Dancing, The Princess Bride, Evil Dead II, Full Metal Jacket, The Last Emperor, Wall Street, Moonstruck, Hope and Glory, Raising Arizona, Sid & Nancy, Mannequin, Spaceballs, Predator, Good Morning, Vietnam, RoboCop, Innerspace, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, The Lost Boys
- 1988 – Rain Man, The Last Temptation of Christ, My Neighbor Totoro, Midnight Run, Dead Ringers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Die Hard, Beetlejuice, Akira, The Accused, Child's Play, Heathers, Big, The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
- 1989 – Do the Right Thing, Driving Miss Daisy, The Little Mermaid (starting off the Disney Renaissance), Crimes and Misdemeanors, Wallace and Gromit, The Abyss, Close-Up, Batman, A Fish Called Wanda, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, When Harry Met Sally...; first publication of Empire
- 1990 – Home Alone, Goodfellas, Ghost, Wild at Heart, Edward Scissorhands, Miller's Crossing, Dances with Wolves, House Party, Total Recall, Kindergarten Cop, Pretty Woman, Troll 2, Misery, Journey of Hope, Tremors, The Hunt for Red October, Cry-Baby, Joe Versus the Volcano, Mermaids, Postcards from the Edge, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Awakenings
- 1991 – The Silence of the Lambs, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, A Brighter Summer Day, Thelma & Louise, The Addams Family, My Girl, Hot Shots!, Boyz n the Hood, Point Break
- 1992 – Unforgiven, Aladdin, Reservoir Dogs, The Player, Basic Instinct, The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Indochine, The Bodyguard, League of Their Own, Sister Act, Pure Country, Wayne's World
- 1993 – Schindler's List, The Piano, In the Name of the Father, Groundhog Day, Jurassic Park, Philadelphia, Three Colors trilogy, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hocus Pocus, Cliffhanger, The Firm, Sleepless in Seattle, Army of Darkness, Dazed and Confused, True Romance, Free Willy
- 1994 – Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, The Lion King, Legends of the Fall, Clerks, Interview with the Vampire, True Lies, Speed, Maverick, The Mask, Léon: The Professional, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Dumb and Dumber, Four Weddings and a Funeral
- 1995 – Braveheart, Se7en, Toy Story, Heat, A Moment of Innocence, 12 Monkeys, The Usual Suspects, Apollo 13, Babe, Jumanji, Leaving Las Vegas, Sense and Sensibility, Rumble in the Bronx, Bad Boys, Clueless, Before trilogy; first DVDs released
- 1996 – Fargo, Breaking the Waves, Trainspotting, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Independence Day, Jerry Maguire, The English Patient, Flirting with Disaster, That Thing You Do!, Happy Gilmore, Scream, Space Jam, Fly Away Home, Mars Attacks!, Dragonheart, Mission: Impossible
- 1997 – Titanic, Men in Black, Boogie Nights, Taste of Cherry, Hana-bi, L.A. Confidential, Good Will Hunting, Life is Beautiful, Jackie Brown, The Fifth Element, Chasing Amy, Princess Mononoke, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Kundun, The Full Monty, Anastasia, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- 1998 – Saving Private Ryan, American History X, The Thin Red Line, Shakespeare in Love, The Big Lebowski, Rush Hour, The Truman Show, Mulan, Buffalo 66, Rushmore, The Mask of Zorro, Bulworth, Blade, You've Got Mail, The Wedding Singer, Gods and Monsters, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, There's Something About Mary, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- 1999 – American Beauty, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, Magnolia, The Blair Witch Project, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Eyes Wide Shut, The Iron Giant, All About My Mother, Stuart Little, Girl, Interrupted, American Pie, 10 Things I Hate About You, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Notting Hill, The Mummy, Shiri, Topsy-Turvy, Office Space, Galaxy Quest, The Green Mile, Being John Malkovich
- 2000 – In the Mood for Love, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Platform, Memento, Erin Brockovich, Cast Away, Gladiator, Remember the Titans, Chicken Run, Billy Elliot, Bring It On, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, American Psycho, Meet the Parents, Dinosaur, Traffic, X-Men, High Fidelity, Eastrail 177 trilogy, Final Destination, Before Night Falls, Almost Famous, Requiem for a Dream, Best in Show, Quills, Love and Basketball, The Virgin Suicides, Chocolat, Miss Congeniality, Scary Movie, The Patriot; first digital cinema projection in Europe by Philippe Binant
- 2001 – Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, Harry Potter film series, A Beautiful Mind, Spirited Away, Shrek, Donnie Darko, The Fast and the Furious, Moulin Rouge!, Monster's Ball, Monsters, Inc., Legally Blonde, Zoolander, Training Day, Black Hawk Down, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Spy Kids, Super Troopers, Amélie, Bridget Jones's Diary, Ocean's Eleven
- 2002 – City of God, Talk to Her, Minority Report, Spider-Man, The Pianist, Chicago, Russian Ark, The Hours, The Quiet American, Lilo & Stitch, Gangs of New York, Bowling for Columbine, About a Boy, Frieda, In America, Panic Room, 28 Days Later, Punch-Drunk Love, The Ring, Signs, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Better Luck Tomorrow, Catch Me If You Can, The Bourne Identity, Adaptation, Bend It Like Beckham, 8 Mile
- 2003 – Oldboy, Kill Bill, Elephant, Monster, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, Love Actually, Lost in Translation, Johnny English, Big Fish, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Last Samurai, The Room, Cold Mountain, Elf, School of Rock
- 2004 – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Passion of the Christ, Million Dollar Baby, The Incredibles, Sideways, Hotel Rwanda, Downfall, Friday Night Lights, The Aviator, Spider-Man 2, Closer, Saw, Ray, Mean Girls, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State, The Notebook, Finding Neverland, Team America: World Police, Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, Hellboy, The Polar Express, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
- 2005 – Caché, The New World, Brokeback Mountain, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, A History of Violence, Pride & Prejudice, Walk the Line, Batman Begins, March of the Penguins, Munich, Serenity, Sin City, Good Night, and Good Luck, Crash, The 40 Year Old Virgin, King Kong (2005), Capote
- 2006 – Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed, Dreamgirls, The Lives of Others, The Prestige, The Queen, Happy Feet, Borat, Little Miss Sunshine, Night at the Museum, The Pursuit of Happyness, Inside Man, The History Boys, An Incovenient Truth, The Holiday, The Last King of Scotland, Snakes on a Plane, Babel, United 93; First Blu-rays released
- 2007 – 300, I Am Legend, Ratatouille, There Will Be Blood, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men, Atonement, Juno, The Simpsons Movie, Michael Clayton, Superbad, Enchanted, Alvin and the Chipmunks, American Gangster, Grindhouse, Once, Transformers, La Vie En Rose, Zodiac, Knocked Up, The Darjeeling Limited, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
- 2008 – The Dark Knight, Marvel Cinematic Universe, Mamma Mia!, WALL-E, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, Milk, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Frost/Nixon, Cloverfield, Son of Rambow, Changeling, Taken, Twilight, Marley & Me, Step Brothers, In Bruges, Bronson, Man on Wire, Revoultionary Road, The Reader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- 2009 – Inglourious Basterds, Avatar, Up, The Secret in Their Eyes, Mary and Max, District 9, The Princess and the Frog, Star Trek, The Hangover, Up in the Air, Coraline, In the Loop, Zombieland, Sherlock Holmes, Crazy Heart, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Michael Jackson's This Is It
- 2010 – Black Swan, Inception, The King's Speech, Tangled, The Social Network, Winter's Bone, How to Train Your Dragon, 127 Hours, Alice in Wonderland, The Town, True Grit, Despicable Me, The Fighter, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Kick-Ass, The Kids Are All Right, Shutter Island, The Runaways, Machete, Easy A, Red, I Love You Phillip Morris, Blue Valentine
- 2011 – The Artist, Drive, The Intouchables, Hugo, A Separation, The Tree of Life, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Midnight in Paris, Bridesmaids, The Descendants, War Horse, Moneyball, Crazy, Stupid, Love, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Muppets, The Help, The Cabin in the Woods, Super 8, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Adventures of Tintin
- 2012 – Life of Pi, The Hobbit film trilogy, Argo, Lincoln, Django Unchained, Les Misérables, Prometheus, Ted, Silver Linings Playbook, Pitch Perfect, 21 Jump Street (film), Magic Mike, Moonrise Kingdom, Wreck-It Ralph, Looper, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Master, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Brave, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, The Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises
- 2013 – The Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, Frozen, Gravity, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Rush, American Hustle, Filth, Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips, Her, Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Colour, Prisoners, The Conjuring, Inside Llewyn Davis, Frances Ha, Nebraska, Pacific Rim, World War Z, Philomena, This is the End, Blue Jasmine
- 2014 – Interstellar, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Lego Movie, Birdman, Whiplash, Paddington, American Sniper, Into the Woods, Big Hero 6, Selma, Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla, Gone Girl, Frank, Foxcatcher, Nightcrawler, John Wick, Wild, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything
- 2015 – Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, The Hateful Eight, Inside Out, Spotlight, The Martian, Ex Machina, Shaun the Sheep Movie, Bridge of Spies, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Big Short, Room, The Peanuts Movie, Cinderella, Carol, Creed, Furious 7, Amy, The DUFF, Sicario, Straight Outta Compton
- 2016 – Zootopia, La La Land, Deadpool, Moana, Sing Street, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Fences, Your Name, Lion, The Jungle Book, The Handmaiden, Don't Breathe, I, Daniel Blake, Silence, Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water
- 2017 – The Shape of Water, Wonder Woman, Get Out, Coco, Dunkirk, Logan, It, The Disaster Artist, Paddington 2, Baby Driver, The Post, I, Tonya, Blade Runner 2049, The Silent Child, The Big Sick, Wonder, Call Me by Your Name, A Silent Voice, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Ayla: The Daughter of War, The Florida Project, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Darkest Hour, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, The Greatest Showman; The Harvey Weinstein scandal begins
- 2018 – Bohemian Rhapsody, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, A Star Is Born, The Favourite, Capernaum, Roma, Ready Player One, Eighth Grade, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, A Simple Favor, A Quiet Place, Suspiria (2018), Hereditary, Crazy Rich Asians, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Stan & Ollie, BlacKkKlansman, Annihilation, First Man, Green Book, Free Solo, Shoplifters
- 2019 – Joker, Rocketman, El Camino, Pokémon Detective Pikachu, Ford v. Ferrari, The Irishman, The Farewell, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Peanut Butter Falcon, Us, Ready or Not, The Lighthouse, Alita: Battle Angel, Shazam!, Marriage Story, Knives Out, Honey Boy, Booksmart, The Lion King (2019), Pavarotti, Uncut Gems, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- 2020 – Godzilla vs. Kong, Onward, Soul, Mulan, Tenet, The Many Saints of Newark, Artemis Fowl, Jungle Cruise, The One and Only Ivan, The Conjuring 3
- 2021 – Avatar 2, Indiana Jones 5, Cruella, Wicked
- "FAQ – Movies". Catalogue Lumière (in French). 2017-11-21. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- McKernan, Luke (2018). "Harishchandra Sakharam Bhatvadekar ('Save Dada')". Who's Who of Victorian Cinema. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "World's first colour film footage viewed for first time". BBC News England. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- The Silent Cinema Reader edited by Lee Grieveson and Peter Kramer
- Movies of the 30s, edited by Jürgen Müller, Taschen
- The Magic of Méliès, documentary by Jacques Mény, special collector's edition DVD, Spain