List of solved missing persons cases
This is a list of solved missing persons cases of people whose mysterious disappearances remained unexplained for a long time, but were eventually explained by their reappearance or the recovery of their bodies, or the conviction of the perpetrator(s) responsible for their disappearances.
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|1553||Sir Hugh Willoughby||Sir Hugh Willoughby, an English explorer, set sail from London on 10 May 1553 to search for a sea route right around the north of Europe and Asia to China. His second-in-command was Richard Chancellor of Bristol. Off the coast of Norway the two men were separated by a storm. Willoughby's ship ended up stuck in ice off Lapland and he and all of his crew died. Their frozen bodies were found several years later.||No|
|1660||William Harrison||70||William Harrison disappeared on 16 August 1660 from the town of Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire and was thought to have been murdered. He resurfaced two years later and said that he had been kidnapped.||Yes|
|1892||Gottlieb Fluhmann||c. 55||The Colorado rancher was last seen in 1892 before he disappeared under strange and largely unknown circumstances. His dead body was found in 1944, but the cause of death could not be determined.||No / Unknown|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|1910||José María Grimaldos López||28||José María Grimaldos López, a shepherd from Tresjuncos, Spain, went missing on 20 August 1910. Two men were convicted of his killing after confessing under torture. Grimaldos Lopez resurfaced in 1926.||Yes|
|1911||Elsie Paroubek||5||Elsie Paroubek was a Czech American girl who disappeared in Chicago, Illinois, on 8 April 1911. On 9 May 1911, employees of the Lockport power plant near Joliet, thirty-five miles outside of Chicago, saw a body floating in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, which was identified as hers.||No / Murdered|
|1913||Captain Robert Falcon Scott & his group||Captain Scott and his party of explorers were found 13 months after their disappearance on their South Pole expedition.||No / Hypothermia & starvation|
|1926||Agatha Christie||36||Agatha Christie, a famous British crime writer, famously disappeared in December 1926, after her husband asked for a divorce. She was located alive 10 days later in a Yorkshire health spa, and always refused to give an explanation.||Yes|
|1928||Walter Collins||9||Collins disappeared from his home in Los Angeles, California, in 1928. He was later determined to have been murdered by Gordon Stewart Northcott in what was known as the Wineville Chicken Coop Murders. His disappearance and the attempt by the Los Angeles police department to convince his mother that a different boy was her son formed the basis of the 2008 film Changeling.||No / Murdered|
|1934||Linda Agostini||28||Linda Agostini was a woman who emigrated from South East London to Australia, and disappeared from Melbourne on 27 August 1934. A body, not identified as hers until 1944, was found in a culvert beside a rural road in Albury, New South Wales, Australia, in September 1934.||No / Manslaughter|
|1938||Margaret Martin||19||Margaret Martin was a woman from Kingston, Pennsylvania, who went missing on 17 December 1938, and was found dead in Wyoming County, Pennsylvania, several days later.||No / Murdered|
|1944||Shoichi Yokoi||29||Shoichi Yokoi was a Japanese sergeant in the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) during the Second World War, who disappeared in July 1944, and on the evening of 24 January 1972, Yokoi was discovered alive in the jungle.||Yes|
|1944||Hiroo Onoda||51 or 52||Hiroo Onoda was an Imperial Japanese Army intelligence officer who fought in World War II, disappeared in December 1944, and resurfaced in March 1974.||Yes|
|1945||Martin Bormann||45||Martin Bormann, head of the Nazi Party Chancellery, and Ludwig Stumpfegger, Adolf Hitler's personal surgeon, thought to be at large from 1945 until 1972 when their remains were discovered.||No / Suicide|
|1948||Placido Rizzotto||34||Rizzotto was a partisan, socialist peasant and trade union leader from Corleone, who was assassinated by Sicilian Mafia boss Luciano Leggio on 10 March 1948. Over 60 years after his death, remains were found on 7 July 2009, on a cliff in Rocca Busambra near Corleone, and on 9 March 2012, a DNA test, compared with one extracted from his father Carmelo Rizzotto, long dead and exhumed for this purpose, confirmed the identity of remains as being that of Placido Rizzotto following a long and difficult investigation conducted by the State Police at the service of the PS Commissariat of Corleone.||No / Murdered|
|1949||Josef Mengele||38||Josef Mengele was a German SS officer and physician in Auschwitz concentration camp, fled to Argentina in 1949 to escape prosecution and took several false identities. His whereabouts became known in 1985 after the West German prosecutor's office received a tip. He drowned while swimming in 1979 and was buried under a false name in Brazil.||No / Drowning|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|1951||Bill Barilko||24||Bill Barilko, a player for the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team, disappeared in August 1951 while returning from a fishing trip at Seal River, Ontario. He was with his dentist, Henry Hudson, flying aboard Hudson's Fairchild 24 floatplane at the time of their disappearance. Barilko and Hudson remained missing for 11 years until the plane's wreckage was found 56 miles (90 km) off course north of Cochrane, Ontario. The plane was partially burned and submerged in a swamp with the men found still strapped in their seats.||No / Plane crash|
|1951||Philip Mangano||53||A mafia underboss of the future Gambino crime family, his brother Vincent Mangano disappeared on the same day that Philip's body was found in Jamaica Bay (his brother's body was never found). He is believed to have been killed on the orders of Albert Anastasia as part of a coup. He was murdered along with his brother on the orders of family underboss Albert Anastasia in Brooklyn in 1951.||No / Murdered|
|1953||Kyllikki Saari||17||Kyllikki Saari, a girl from Finland, was last seen alive on 17 May 1953 cycling home from a prayer meeting. Kyllikki's bicycle was recovered in a marsh that summer and her remains were found on 11 October 1953 in a bog.||No / Murdered|
|1955||Curtis Chillingworth||58||Curtis Chillingworth was a Florida attorney and state judge who disappeared from his Manalapan, Florida home in 1955. He was later discovered to have been murdered though his body was never recovered.||No / Murdered|
|1956||Barbara Grimes||15||Barbara and Patricia Grimes were teenage sisters who disappeared from the Brighton Park, Chicago, Illinois area on 28 December 1956 while returning home from a movie. Their bodies were found on 22 January 1957 down an embankment off a roadway.||No / Murdered|
|1957||Mary Jane Barker||4||Mary Jane Barker, a girl from Bellmawr, New Jersey, went missing on 25 February 1957 along with her playmate's dog. Barker was found dead in the closet of a vacant house near her home on 3 March 1957 after becoming trapped with the dog who survived.||No / Starvation|
|1957||Lawrence Joseph Bader||30||Lawrence Joseph Bader was a cookware salesman from Akron, Ohio who disappeared on a fishing trip on 15 March 1957 in Lake Erie. Eight years later he was found alive in Omaha, Nebraska working as a local TV personality named "Fritz" Johnson. He died from a brain tumor a year later leaving six children from two wives. It's been debated (but never confirmed) as to whether he was an amnesiac, had multiple personalities, or was just an outright hoaxer.||Yes|
|1957||Maria Ridulph||7||Maria Ridulph was an American girl who disappeared on 3 December 1957 from a street corner in her neighborhood in Sycamore, Illinois. Her body was found in Woodbine, 100 miles from her home, on 26 April 1958.||No / Murdered|
|1958||Ishinosuke Uwano||35 to 36||Ishinosuke Uwano is a former soldier in the Japanese Imperial Army who disappeared in 1958 and was found living in Ukraine in April 2006.||Yes|
|1961||Lucy Ann Johnson||25||Lucy Ann Johnson disappeared in 1961 from British Columbia, Canada but was not reported missing by her family until 1965. In 2013 she was found alive in Yukon, Canada, having started a new family after her disappearance.||Yes|
|1965||Ajjamada B. Devaiah||32 or 33||Ajjamada B. Devaiah, an Indian Air Force pilot, was shot down in 1965 over Pakistan. The Indian Air Force was unaware of what happened and declared him missing. It was revealed much later by Pakistan sources that Devayya's body was found almost intact by villagers not very far from Sargodha and buried.||No / Killed in action|
|1967||Alvar Larsson||13||Alvar Larsson was a Swedish boy who disappeared on 16 April 1967 while going for a walk. In November 1982 a human skull was found on a small island 6 km away that was identified as belonging to Larsson.||No|
|1967||Barbara Ann Hackmann Taylor||24||Barbara Ann Hackmann Taylor disappeared on 6 December 1967 and was found dead near Georgetown, Kentucky on 17 May 1968. Her unidentified body found wrapped in canvas, similar to that used for a tent, and she was dubbed "Tent Girl". The son-in-law of the man who discovered her body had an interest in the case and contacted her relatives after seeing a missing persons report. Barbara Taylor's remains were positively identified in 1998 following DNA testing.||No / Murdered|
|1969||Reet Jurvetson||19||Reet Jurvetson, a Canadian-American woman disappeared on 14 November 1969 and was found murdered on 16 November 1969 in a dense bushland off Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles, California. She had been stabbed over 150 times and her body was rolled down an embankment. Jurvetson remained unidentified for 46 years until an online mortuary photograph was recognised by her family and friends.||No / Murdered|
|1969||Reyna Marroquin||27||Reyna Marroquin, a pregnant Salvadoran woman, disappeared in 1969 from Nassau County, New York. Her remains were found on 2 September 1999 in the former Jericho, New York home of Howard B. Elkins, her former boss, sealed in a drum that was stored in a crawl space. Marroquin was having an affair with Elkins and DNA test showed that Elkins was the father of the fetus.||No / Murdered|
|1970||Jacques Vergès||Jacques Vergès, a French-Vietnamese lawyer, left his wife Djamila Bouhired and cut off all ties with friends and family. He was last seen on 24 February 1970 until he reappeared in 1978 and refused to explain his disappearance or whereabouts during that period.||Yes|
|1970||Harvey Crewe||28||Harvey and Jeannette Crewe, a New Zealand farming couple, were reported missing from their bloodstained farmhouse at Pukekawa, Lower Waikato on 22 June 1970 where their unharmed 18-month-old daughter was found in her cot. Jeannette's body was found, wrapped in a duvet and bound with copper wire, in the Waikato River on 16 August 1970 and her husband's body was retrieved upriver on 16 September 1970. The initial indications from the crime scene pointed to foul play, occurring between 17 and 22 June, but it was not until the bodies were recovered that it was established that both had been shot to death.||No / Murdered|
|1970||Ronald Hughes||35||Ronald Hughes was an American attorney who represented Manson family member Leslie Van Houten and disappeared in November 1970 during a camping trip. On 29 March 1971 his body was found by two fishermen in Ventura County wedged between two boulders in a gorge.||No|
|1971||Shelagh McDonald||24||Shelagh McDonald, a Scottish folk singer and songwriter, vanished in 1971. Following the reissue of two of her albums on CD in the mid-2000s, articles were written about her work and disappearance. In 2005, McDonald read one of these articles and she contacted the press to explain that following an LSD trip, which had left her with long-term severe flashbacks and disorientation, she had returned to her family who kept her isolated while she recovered.||Yes|
|1971||Rhonda Johnson and Sharon Shaw||13 and 14||Rhonda Renee Johnson and Sharon Lynn Shaw were two teenage girls who disappeared in Harris County, Texas, on the afternoon of 4 August 1971. In early 1972, skeletal remains of both girls were discovered in and around Clear Lake near Galveston Bay. A local man, Michael Lloyd Self, was charged with their murders in 1972 and convicted of Shaw's murder in 1975. Controversy arose in 1998 when serial killer Edward Harold Bell confessed to the murders. Bell's confession--and corroborating statements from both law enforcement and prosecutors that Self had been coerced into a false confession--led many to believe that Self had been wrongfully convicted. Self died in prison of cancer in 2000.||No / Murdered|
|1972||Dolores Della Penna||17||Dolores Della Penna was a school girl from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who went missing on 11 July 1972 after allegedly being abducted by a gang of drug dealers who accused her of stealing from them. Her limbs and torso were later found in different parts of New Jersey a week later but her head was never found.||No / Murdered|
|1972||Jeannette DePalma||16||Jeannette DePalma was a girl who disappeared after telling her mother she was going to visit a friend on 7 August 1972. Her body was discovered on 19 September 1972 and it is believed she was killed some time around 7 August in Springfield Township, New Jersey.||No / Murdered|
|1972||Steven Stayner||7||Steven Stayner was abducted from the Central California city and county of Merced, California on 4 December 1972 by a man named Kenneth Parnell. He escaped on 1 March 1980 with Timothy White who was also abducted by Parnell.||Yes|
|1973||Dawn Magyar||20||Dawn Magyar was abducted while she was grocery shopping in Owosso, Michigan in Shiawassee County on 27 January 1973 and her body was discovered in a wooded area in Saginaw County, Michigan on 4 March 1973. The case was resolved 28 years after her body was found when a DNA match was made of her killer.||No / Murdered|
|1973||Peter Wilson||21||Peter Wilson was an Irish man who was abducted on 1 August 1973 and killed by the Provisional Irish Republican Army. After receiving reliable information his remains were found on 2 November 2010 buried at a beach in Waterfoot, County Antrim.||No / Murdered|
|1974||Martha Morrison||17||Martha Morrison disappeared some time in September 1974. On 12 October 1974 the remains of two women were found in Dole Valley near Vancouver, Washington. One victim was quickly identified as Carol Platt Valenzuela, who had been reported missing, but the other set remained unidentified. In 2015 Martha Morrison's remains were identified by means of DNA profiling after they were found to have been mislabeled by the police as Carol Platt Valenzuela.||No / Murdered|
|1975||Katherine Lyon||10||Katherine and Sheila Lyon disappeared on 25 March 1975 while walking home from a nearby mall in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. In 2014 Lloyd Lee Welch, a criminal serving time in a Delaware prison for molesting a child in that state, became a person of interest after cold-case investigators in Montgomery County, Maryland followed up on an interview he gave to a detective at the time of the girls disappearance. In that interview he falsely claimed to have witnessed the girls' abduction. He also strongly resembled a police sketch of a man who had been staring at them in the mall. The sketch was based on a description by a friend of the girls who had confronted the man about his behavior. In 2015 Welch was formally indicted in Bedford County, Virginia where police said he had taken the girls and burned their bodies. Ultimately, in September 2017, Welch pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder "for the abduction and killing of Katherine and Shelia Lyon in 1975."||No / Murdered|
|1975||Pat Lowther||40||Pat Lowther was a Canadian poet from Vancouver, British Columbia who disappeared on 24 September 1975. Her body was found three weeks later in a creek near Squamish, British Columbia and her husband was convicted of killing her in 1977.||No / Murdered|
|1975||Anna Mae Aquash||30||The body of Native American civil rights activist Anna Mae Aquash was found at Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota on February 24, 1976. She had been missing for two months.||No / Murdered|
|1976||John Roselli||71||A mobster in the Chicago Outfit, on April 23, 1976, Roselli was called before the committee to testify about a conspiracy to kill President Kennedy. Three months after his first round of testimony on the Kennedy assassination, the Committee wanted to recall Roselli. However, at this point, he had been missing since July 28. On August 3, Senator Howard Baker, a member of the new SSCIA, requested that the FBI investigate Roselli's disappearance. On August 9, 1976, Roselli's decomposing body was found by fisherman in a 55-gallon steel fuel drum floating in Dumfoundling Bay near Miami, Florida. He died of asphyxiation. Federal investigators suggested he may have been killed by Chicago mobsters for keeping an unfair share of the mob's gambling interests in Las Vegas. At the behest of some members of the United States Senate, United States Attorney General Edward H. Levi instructed the FBI to find out if Roselli's earlier testimony regarding the CIA plot to assassinate Castro may have led to his murder.||No / Murdered|
|1978||Nicholas Scibetta||22||Scibetta was a New York mobster who was killed by his brother-in-law, Sammy Gravano. Part of the motive for the murder was that Scibetta was suspected of being gay. Scibetta was dismembered and his body was never found other than an arm.||No / Murdered|
|1978||John Dawson Dewhirst||26||John Dawson Dewhirst was a British teacher and amateur yachtsman and disappeared after being captured and detained as a suspected spy by the Khmer Rouge 13 August 1978. It is known that he was killed some time after 13 October 1978. No remains were found, and it was speculated that the body may have been burned.||No / Executed|
|1978||Marilee Bruszer||33||Marilee Bruszer went missing on 22 August 1978 from Long Beach, California. In August 2015, a body that had been discovered in Utah in September 1978 was identified as hers.||No / Murdered|
|1978||Theresa Allore||19||Canadian college student who disappeared on, 3 November from Champlain College Lennoxville in the Eastern Townships of Quebec and was found dead five months later.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Etan Patz||6||Etan Patz disappeared while on his way to school in lower Manhattan on 25 May 1979 and by 2001 he was considered legally dead. He was the first missing child featured on a milk carton. In May 2012, authorities re-opened the case. Pedro Hernandez, a former bodega stock clerk, was convicted in February 2017 of kidnapping and murdering the boy, based solely on his own confession. Neither Patz's body, which Hernandez said he put in the trash, nor any other relevant physical evidence was ever identified.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Tammy Alexander||15||Tammy Alexander, from Hernando County, Florida, disappeared some time in early 1979 after it is believed she ran away. Tammy was found dead, shot to death in a field, in the town of Caledonia, New York on 10 November 1979. She was not identified until 2015, over 35 years later, by a DNA match after an old school friend tried to locate her and a missing persons report was filed.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Jean Seberg||40||Jean Seberg was an American actress who lived in France, and disappeared on 30 August 1979. Her body was found on 8 September 1979 wrapped in a blanket in the back seat of her Renault which was parked near her Paris apartment.||No|
|1978||Kerry Graham||15||Kerry Graham and Francine Trimble disappeared on 16 December 1978 after leaving their homes in Forestville, California to visit a shopping mall in Santa Rosa. Their remains were discovered on 8 July 1979 approximately 80 miles north of Forestville, concealed within duct-taped garbage bags in a woodland area, beside a remote section of Highway 20, 12 miles from the city of Willits. The bodies of Kerry Graham and Francine Trimble would remain unidentified until November 2015 when their identities were confirmed via the use of DNA profiling.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Marcia Moore||50||Marcia Moore was an American writer, astrologer and yoga teacher who disappeared in the winter of 1979. Her remains were found two years later in the woods near her Washington home.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Gerard Evans||24||Gerard Evans disappeared in County Monaghan, Republic of Ireland in 1979 and his remains were found in October 2010 in the townland of Carrickrobin, near Hackballscross, County Louth.||No / Murdered|
|1979||Michelle Busha||18||Michelle Busha left home in December 1979 after an argument with her father in Bacy City, Texas. She was murdered in May 1980 while hitchhiking in Blue Earth, Minnesota and remained unidentified until 2015.||No / Murdered|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|1980||Marcia King||18||Marcia King left home in Little Rock, Arkansas at an unknown date in 1980. She traveled across the United States and was murdered in Troy, Ohio in April 1981 at the age of 21. King's body remained unidentified until 2018.||No / Murdered|
|1980||Timothy White||5||Timothy White disappeared on 13 February 1980 and it was later revealed that he was abducted by a man named Kenneth Parnell. He escaped on 1 March 1980 with the help of Steven Stayner who had been abducted by Parnell almost eight years earlier.||Yes|
|1980||Cynthia Gastelle||18||Cynthia Gastelle disappeared on 3 April 1980 while going on a job interview in Takoma Park, Maryland. Her skeletal remains were found on 12 February 1982 in a secluded wooded area on Bull Run Mountain in Haymarket, Virginia but remained unidentified for 30 years.||No / Murdered|
|1980||Dorothy Jane Scott||32||Dorothy Jane Scott disappeared while getting her car on 28 May 1980 in Anaheim, California after she had taken two co-workers to the hospital. On 6 August 1984 a construction worker discovered dog and human bones, side by side, about 30 feet (10 m) from Santa Ana Canyon Road. The human bones were later identified as being Scott's although the identity and motive of her killer or killers remains unknown.||No / Murdered|
|1980||Brenda Gerow||20||Brenda Gerow was an American woman who disappeared on 20 July 1980 after leaving home with her boyfriend at the time. She was found dead in the desert at Pima County, Arizona on 8 April 1981 but remained unidentified for thirty-four years.||No / Murdered|
|1980||Azaria Chamberlain||nine-weeks-old||An Australian baby girl who disappeared on the night of 17 August 1980 during a family camping trip in Uluru. Although her remains have never been found her mother insisted that a dingo had taken her from her camping tent. In a trial sensationalized by the media her mother was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison. Her sentence was overturned six years later when Azaria's jacket was found in a dingo lair. Azaria's disappearance was the subject of four inquests, the last of which in 2012, concluded that a dingo had taken and killed her. Her disappearance and investigation were the basis for the 1988 motion picture Evil Angels (released as A Cry in the Dark outside of Australia and New Zealand).||No / Animal attack|
|1980||Marlene Oakes||25||Marlene Oakes disappeared from her residence in Verona, Kentucky after an argument with her husband. She had planned to divorce him after discovering he was sexually abusing the couple's son. Her skull was discovered in 1981 but remained unidentified until 2001. Her husband was sentenced to life in prison for her murder.||No / Murdered|
|1980||Carol Cole||17||Carol Cole disappeared from the San Antonio, Texas area in late December 1980. Her body was discovered on 28 January 1981 in Bossier Parish, Louisiana but she remained unidentified until 2015 when DNA tests confirmed her identity.||No / Murdered|
|1981||Al Indelicato||50||On May 5, 1981, Massino loyalists shot and killed Trinchera, Giaccone, and Indelicato in a Brooklyn night club. On the pretext of working out a peace agreement, Massino had invited them to meet with him at the 20/20 Night Club in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. However, Massino's real plan was to assassinate the capos. The ambush was set in the club store room, with Salvatore Vitale and three other gunmen wearing ski masks hiding in a closet. One of the gunmen was mobster Vito Rizzuto, who came from Montreal, Quebec, Canada with another Canadian mobster to help Massino. A few weeks later, on May 28, authorities discovered Indelicato's body and removed it from the lot. In October 2004, after some children reported finding a body in the Lindenwood lot, FBI agents excavated the property and discovered the bodies of Trinchera and Giaccone. Among the personal items they unearthed was a Piaget watch that had belonged to Giaccone's wife. In December 2004, the bodies were positively identified as Giaccone and Trinchera.||No / Murdered|
|1981||Karen Price||15||Karen Price was a girl from Wales who was last seen on 2 July 1981. Police later concluded that Price had run away from home, then turned to prostitution. Her remains were found on 7 December 1989 when workmen unearthed a rolled carpet while installing a garden behind a house. She was identified by her DNA in what is cited as one of the first instances in which DNA technology was used in this way.||No / Murdered|
|1981||Adam Walsh||6||Adam Walsh was an American boy who was abducted from a Sears department store at the Hollywood Mall in Hollywood, Florida, on 27 July 1981. His severed head was found two weeks later in a drainage canal alongside Florida's Turnpike in rural St. Lucie County, Florida.||No / Murdered|
|1981||Dominick Napolitano||51||Napolitano was ordered to be killed in retribution for Joseph Pistone's infiltration. On August 17, 1981, he was summoned to a meeting in the basement of Bonanno associate Ron Filocomo's home in Flatlands, Brooklyn. Knowing that he would be killed, Napolitano gave his jewelry to his favorite bartender, who worked below his apartment at the Motion Lounge, along with the keys to his apartment so that his pet pigeons could be cared for. Bonanno capo Frank Lino and Steven Cannone drove Napolitano to the house of Filocomo and Frank Coppa, who was also present. Napolitano was pushed down the staircase in Filocomo's basement and shot to death by Filocomo and Lino with .38 caliber revolvers. When the first shot misfired, Napolitano told them, "Hit me one more time and make it good".
In August, FBI surveillance noticed workmen dismantling Napolitano's pigeon coops atop the Motion Lounge. On August 12, 1982, a body was found at South Avenue and Bridge Street in Arlington, Staten Island; the corpse's hands were severed and the face was so badly decomposed that dental records were required to verify the identity.
|No / Murdered|
|1981||Tina Harmon||12||Tina Harmon was a girl who was abducted, raped, and murdered on 29 October 1981 after being dropped off at a convenience store in Lodi, Ohio by her father's girlfriend. Her body was found next to an oil well site in a nearby town five days after her abduction.||No / Murdered|
|1982||Michelle Garvey||14||Michelle Garvey was an American girl who ran away in Texas on 3 June 1982, was found murdered in Connecticut almost one month later on 1 July.||No / Murdered|
|1982||Krista Harrison||11||Krista Harrison was murdered on 17 July 1982, in Marshallville, Ohio. The case remained unsolved for two years, until Robert Anthony Buell was convicted of her murder in 1984.||No / Murdered|
|1982||Carole Pappas||42||Carole Pappas, the wife of former Major League Baseball pitcher Milt Pappas disappeared after leaving the couple's home in Wheaton, Illinois. A theory emerged that she had been killed by the Ripper Crew, as a member made a confession and led authorities to a field where no remains were found. In 1987, workers drained a pond 4 blocks from the Pappas' house and found the car with Carole's body inside. It's theorized that she mistook a driveway near the pond for one leading to her subdivision, and that she may have been drinking as she was a recovering alcoholic.||No / Drowned|
|1983||William Howard Hughes||33||Hughes, a United States Air Force officer with security clearance and expertise in rocket self-destruct technology, vanished after departing on a trip to Europe. Authorities feared he had defected to the Soviet Union or had been abducted by its agents. In June 2018, he was found living in California using the name Barry O'Beirne.||Yes|
|1984||Mark Tildesley||7||Mark Tildesley disappeared while visiting a funfair in Wokingham, Berkshire, England on the evening of 1 June 1984. He was lured away from the fair and his bicycle was found chained to railings nearby. In 1990 it emerged that Mark had been abducted, drugged, tortured, raped and murdered by a London-based paedophile gang on the night he disappeared.||No / Murdered|
|1984||Vicki Lynne Hoskinson||8||Vicki Lynne Hoskinson was a girl from Flowing Wells, Arizona, who disappeared on 17 September 1984, while riding her bike to mail a birthday card to her aunt. On 12 April 1985 her remains were found.||No / Murdered|
|1984||Elizabeth Lamotte||17||Elizabeth Lamotte disappeared from Manchester, New Hampshire on 6 April 1984. Her body was discovered in Tennessee a year later but was not identified until 2018. Lamotte was possibly a victim of an unidentified serial killer.||No / Murdered|
|ca. 1985||Espy Pilgrim||33||Espy Regina Black Pilgrim of North Carolina lost contact with her family sometime in the early to mid 1980s. Her body was discovered on April 1, 1985 in Kentucky but her body was unidentified until 2018.||No / Murdered|
|1985||Shari Faye Smith||17||Larry Gene Bell kidnapped 17-year-old Sharon "Shari" Faye Smith at gunpoint from the end of her driveway on Platt Springs Road in Lexington County, South Carolina on May 31, 1985. Her car was found abandoned at the curb near the mailbox. Over the next few days, Bell called the Smith family regularly from a payphone to tell them Shari was fine and to taunt them. In fact, Shari was likely killed within 12 hours of her abduction.||No / Murdered|
|1985||Debra May Helmick||9||Bell then kidnapped 9-year-old Debra May Helmick near Old Percival Road in Richland County, South Carolina, killed her, and again called the Smith family to tell them where he had left her body. Bell was also a suspect in two other disappearances: the 1984 disappearance of Sandee Elaine Cornett, who was the girlfriend of one of Bell's coworkers; and that of Denise Newsom Porch, who was last seen in July 1975 and lived in an apartment complex close to where Bell had lived. Both young women vanished in Charlotte, North Carolina and remain classified as missing.||No / Murdered|
|1986||Wanda Jean Mays||26||Wanda Jean Mays disappeared after midnight on 12 May 1986, while staying with her aunt and uncle's home near Guntersville Lake, Alabama. The following morning, her aunt and uncle discovered her room empty and the window broken from the inside. In 2008, the FBI confirmed that remains found at the foot of a cliff 2 miles (3.2 km) from her relatives' home were Mays', and her death was ruled an accident.||No / Accident fall|
|1987||Deanna Criswell||16||Deanna Criswell disappeared on 23 November 1987 from Spokane, Washington. A body was found on 25 November two days later in Pima County, Arizona, but it was not identified as hers until 11 February 2015.||No / Murdered|
|1987||Isabelle Laville||17||Isabelle Laville did not return home from college on 11 December 1987. In 2004, Michel Fourniret and Monique Olivier confessed that they had kidnapped Laville as she walked in the direction of her Saint-Georges-sur-Baulche home and brought her to their house in Saint-Cyr-les-Colons where she was raped and killed before her body was dumped in a well in Bussy-en-Othe. Her remains were recovered from the well in July 2006.||No / Murdered|
|1988||Farida Hammiche||30||The wife of a bank robber, Hammiche went missing from her home in Vitry-sur-Seine in April 1988. Michel Fourniret and Monique Olivier confessed to having kidnapped and killed Hammiche in order to steal loot that Fourniret had previously hidden in Hammiche's home. Hammiche's body has not been found. In 2018, Fourniret was convicted of the murder of Hammiche, while Olivier was convicted of complicity.||No / Murdered|
|1988||Jaclyn Dowaliby||7||Jaclyn Dowaliby was taken from her home in Midlothian, Illinois on 10 September 1988, and found dead five days later.||No / Murdered|
|1988||Venus Xtravaganza||23||The body of transgender performer Venus Xtravaganza was found under a bed in a bedroom in a New York hotel on 25 December 1988 after gone missing four days earlier. Xtravaganza had been strangled.||No / Homicide|
|1989||Jeanne-Marie Desramault||21||Jeanne-Marie Desramault was dropped off at the gare de Charleville-Mézières on the morning of 18 March 1989 by a nun whose convent she was staying at. Desramault was due to travel to Béthune to visit her parents, but never boarded the train and was not seen alive again. In 2004, Michel Fourniret and Monique Olivier confessed to kidnapping and killing Desramault, whose remains were found on 3 July that year, buried in the garden of a Donchery chateau formerly owned by the Fourniret couple.||No / Murdered|
|1989||Urban Höglin||23||Urban Höglin and Heidi Paakkonen disappeared while tramping on the Coromandel Peninsula of New Zealand in April 1989. Fugitive offender David Wayne Tamihere was convicted of their murders in December 1990. Höglin's body was discovered in October 1991, while Paakkonen's body has not been found.||No / Murdered|
|1989||Jacob Wetterling||11||Jacob Wetterling was abducted on 22 October 1989 by a masked gunman while cycling home in the dark with his brother Trevor (10) and friend Aaron (11), after going to rent a video from a convenience store a 10-minute ride away from his home in St. Joseph, Minnesota. His remains were finally found on 1 September 2016, when Danny Heinrich, already serving time on child pornography charges, led police to them.||No / Murdered|
|1989||Amy Mihaljevic||10||Amy Mihaljevic, an American elementary school student, was kidnapped and murdered in Bay Village, Ohio on 27 October 1989. Her body was found on 8 February 1990 in a field off a rural road in Ashland County.||No / Murdered|
|1989||Melissa Brannen||5||Melissa Brannen disappeared on 3 December 1989 from the Woodside Apartments in Lorton, Virginia while attending a Christmas party held at the complex for its residents. Caleb Hughes was charged and convicted of kidnapping her.||No / Presumed murdered|
|1989||Elisabeth Brichet||12||Elisabeth Brichet left her friend's house in Namur, Belgium, on the evening of 20 December 1989 and did not arrive home. In 1996, her mother helped organise the White March in honour of Belgium's missing and murdered children following the arrest of Marc Dutroux. On 3 July 2004, the girl's remains were found buried in the garden of a Donchery chateau which formerly belonged to Michel Fourniret and Monique Olivier.||No / Murdered|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|1990||Susan Poupart||29||Susan Poupart, a Native-American woman from Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin, disappeared on 20 May 1990. Her body was found six months later in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.||No / Murdered|
|1991||Karmein Chan||13||Karmein Chan, an Australian girl who was abducted from her home at night on 13 April 1991 in the Melbourne suburb of Templestowe, and her body was found 9 April 1992 in Edgars Creek, Thomastown.||No / Murdered|
|1991||Jaycee Dugard||11||Jaycee Dugard was abducted on 10 June 1991, and was found alive on 26 August 2009 when she turned up at a Concord, California parole office.||Yes|
|1991||Timothy Wiltsey||5||Timothy Wiltsey, who went missing from South Amboy, New Jersey, whose mother told the police that he went missing from a local carnival on 25 May 1991, and almost a year later, his remains were discovered miles away, On 18 May 2016 his mother was convicted of killing him.||No / Murdered|
|1991||Anjelica Castillo||4||Anjelica Castillo, an American from New York City who disappeared on 18 July 1991, and was found dead on 23 July 1991. Her body was not identified until 2013. After her identification, Castillo's paternal cousin, Conrado Juarez confessed to murdering the girl.||No / Murdered|
|1991||Margaret Perry||26||Perry was a from Portadown, County Armagh, Northern Ireland who was disappeared on 21 June 1991. After a tip from the IRA, her body was found buried across the border in a field in Mullaghmore, County Sligo, County Sligo, Ireland, on 30 June 1992. She had been beaten to death. Her murder has never been solved.||No / Murdered|
|1991||Sheree Beasley||6||Sheree Beasley, an Australian schoolgirl from Rosebud was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a man named Robert Lowe on 29 June 1991, and her body was found weeks later on 24 September in a stormwater drain.||No / Murdered|
|1992||John D'Amato||Unknown||D'Amato was a New Jersey mobster suspected of homosexual activity disappeared after Anthony Capo and the other two hitmen entered D'Amato's car to drive to lunch. Sitting in the back seat, Capo shot D'Amato four times, killing him. Capo and Rotundo left the body at a safe house, where other mobsters disposed of it. D'Amato's body was never recovered. In 2006, Abramo, Schifilliti and Vitabile were sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder.||No / Murdered|
|1992||Kristen French||15||Kristen French, a Canadian school girl from Ontario who disappeared on 16 April 1992, was held captive for three days and then was killed and was found dead on 30 April 1992. She was murdered by Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.||No / Murdered|
|1992||Miriam Iborra||14||The Alcasser Girls, were three teenage girls from Alcasser, Spain, who disappeared on 13 November 1992, and were found dead on 27 January 1993, and it was revealed that they had been kidnapped, raped, beaten, and tortured after they were abducted.||No / Murdered|
|1992||Katie Beers||10||Katie Beers disappeared on 28 December 1992, during a shopping trip with neighbor John Esposito and was found in a secret room underneath Esposito's home on 13 January 1993. Esposito had been considered a family friend. Prior to the kidnapping she had been the subject of a lengthy custody battle between her mother and godmother and had suffered material deprivation, sexual abuse and hardship.||Yes|
|1992||Eugenio Berríos||45||Eugenio Berríos, a Chilean biochemist, who worked for the DINA intelligence agency was captured in 1991 escaped to Uruguay in 1991, at the beginning of the Chilean transition to democracy, who presented himself on 15 November 1992 to a local police office in order to claim he had been kidnapped later disappeared, and what has been identified as his corpse was found in 1995 near Montevideo.||No / Murdered|
|1993||Jayne Furlong||17||Jayne Furlong, a sex worker, was a New Zealander, who disappeared from a street in Auckland on 26 May 1993. Her remains were found at a beach in 2012 after being exposed by erosion of a sandbank. She had been abducted and murdered.||No / Murdered|
|1993||Holly Piirainen||10||Holly Piirainen, an American girl from Grafton, Massachusetts, who disappeared on 5 August 1993. She and her brother had been visiting their grandparents in Sturbridge, Massachusetts when Holly was murdered. Piirainen's remains were found by hunters in Brimfield on 23 October 1993.||No / Murdered|
|1993||Kori Lamaster||17||Kori Lamaster, an American murder victim who went missing in 1993, was found on 29 January 1994, and was not identified until 2017.||No / Murdered|
|1994||Michael Anthony Hughes||6||Michael Anthony Hughes was abducted at gunpoint from school on 12 September 1994 by his step father, Franklin Delano Floyd. No trace of the boy has been found. Floyd is considered a suspect in the hit-and-run death of his wife, whom he had abducted as a child and raised as his daughter. In a 2015 interview with the FBI, Floyd admitted to killing Hughes the same day of the kidnapping, and is currently on death row for the murder of another woman and the abduction of Michael Hughes.||No / Murdered|
|1994||Randi Boothe-Wilson||33||Randi Boothe-Wilson disappeared from New York when planning to meet family members. Her remains were discovered in December 1995 in North Carolina and were not identified until January 2019.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Henning Wehn||21||Henning Wehn was listed by Interpol as a missing person after disappearing while on holiday in Spain in 1995, while sending mysterious postcards to a friend in Germany. He reappeared in Spain after having traveled to Morocco for three weeks with a man he met on a train.||Yes|
|1995||Philip Taylor Kramer||42||Philip Taylor Kramer, a computer engineer and former bass guitarist for the rock band Iron Butterfly, disappeared on 12 February 1995 before he was to meet a business partner at the Los Angeles International Airport; He changed his plans while driving to the airport and asked his guest to meet him at a nearby hotel instead, but failed to appear. During his travel to and from the airport, Kramer made a flurry of cell phone calls, including to his wife, his Iron Butterfly bandmate Ron Bushy and finally to the police. In the latter call, Kramer said, "I'm going to kill myself." After his phone call to the police, he was never heard from again, which led to an extensive search of the California desert for his vehicle. On 29 May 1999, Kramer's body was discovered by hikers inside his wrecked minivan at the bottom of a canyon in Malibu, California.||No / Suicide|
|1995||Kiplyn Davis||15||Kiplyn Davis, high school student who was reported missing on 2 May 1995 in Spanish Fork, Utah. She is a featured child of the Polly Klaas Foundation. Several people have been arrested in connection with her murder, although her death has not been confirmed by the discovery of a body. On 11 February 2011, Timmy Brent Olson pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. He claimed he saw another individual hit Davis in the head with a rock and helped him move her body, but declined to name the other individual.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Julie Lejeune and Mélissa Russo||8||Eight-year-old friends Julie Lejeune and Mélissa Russo were reported missing by their families on 24 June 1995 after they left the Russo family home in Grâce-Hollogne, Belgium, and did not return. Their bodies were found buried in the garden of a house in Sars-la-Buissière on 17 August 1996. After being kidnapped, they had been held in Marc Dutroux's house in Marcinelle for between five and nine months. Locked in the basement, the girls starved to death, Dutroux's wife having neglected them while her husband was in police custody between December 1995 and March 1996.||No / Homicide caused by neglect|
|1995||Jason Callahan||19||Jason Callahan made no contact with friends or family after June 1995. The body of a passenger that was found in the wreck of a car on 26 June 1995 was identified as his on 9 December 2015 after his mother formally reported him missing.||No / Accident|
|1995||Eefje Lambrecks and An Marchal||19 (Lambrecks)
|Eefje Lambrecks and An Marchal, from Hasselt, Belgium, were on holiday on the Flemish coast with a group of friends when they disappeared on the night of 22–23 August 1995. The pair took a tram to Blankenberge where they attended a hypnosis show, and did not return to their holiday home in Westende. On 3 September 1996, their bodies were found buried in the garden of a house in Jumet. Marc Dutroux and his accomplice Michel Lelièvre had kidnapped the teenagers and brought them to Dutroux's house in Marcinelle. After being kidnapped, Lambrecks and Marchal had been buried alive.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Madalyn Murray O'Hair||76||Madalyn Murray O'Hair, an American activist, founder of American Atheists, and the organization's president from 1963 to 1986, disappeared on 27 August 1995, and was found dead in 2001.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Jimmy Ryce||9||Jimmy Ryce, a child who was abducted on 11 September 1995, and was raped and killed by Juan Carlos Chavez in Redland, Florida, and his body was found three months later near Chavez's trailer.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Nicole van den Hurk||15||Nicole van den Hurk disappeared on her way to work in Eindhoven, in the Dutch province of North Brabant on 6 October 1995, and was found dead on 22 November 1995, in the woods between the towns of Mierlo and Lierop.||No / Manslaughter|
|1995||Bernard Weinstein||43||Bernard Weinstein, a Frenchman living in Belgium, was last seen alive in mid-November 1995. His body was found buried in the garden of a house in Sars-la-Buissière on 17 August 1996. Weinstein had been sought by police since he and Marc Dutroux kidnapped three people, one of whom had escaped and alerted the police. To stop Weinstein from informing on him, Dutroux kidnapped Weinstein and killed him by burying him alive.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Barbara Barnes||13||Barbara Barnes, an American schoolgirl who was kidnapped on 7 December 1995, while walking to school, and her body was found on 22 February 1996 in Pennsylvania. People have speculated that her uncle may have been responsible for her death, but others believe that the crime was committed by someone local.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Céline Figard||19||Céline Figard, a French woman who while visiting the United Kingdom disappeared on 19 December 1995, and was found dead on 29 December 1995.||No / Murdered|
|1995||Justina Morales||8||Justina Morales, an American girl from the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, New York, who was killed by her mother's boyfriend, Luis Santiago, on 31 December 1995. Her disappearance went unnoticed for 15 months. In 1997, Santiago was convicted for the murder. Morales' body has not been found.||No / Murdered|
|1996||Sabine Dardenne||12||Dardenne was kidnapped in Tournai, Belgium, by Marc Dutroux and Michel Lelièvre as she cycled to school on 28 May 1996. When Dutroux and Lelièvre were arrested in August after kidnapping 14-year-old Laetitia Delhez, police raided Dutroux's home on 15 August and found both girls in the basement.||Yes|
|1996||Tanya Nicole Kach||14||Tanya Nicole Kach, a student at the Cornell Middle School in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, was kidnapped by school security guard Thomas Hose on 10 February 1996. In the time leading up to this event, Hose befriended Kach to earn her trust. Kach escaped on 21 March 2006, with the help of Joe Sparico, the owner of a grocery store in the neighborhood where Kach had been held captive.||Yes|
|1996||Melanie Hall||25||Melanie Hall, a British hospital clerical officer from Bradford on Avon, who disappeared on 9 June 1996. On 5 October 2009 her partial remains were discovered, after a plastic bin bag containing human bones was located by a workman on the M5 motorway near Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. The bones, which included a pelvis, thigh bone, and human skull, were analyzed and identified as belonging to Hall.||No / Murdered|
|1996||Ulrike Everts||13||German Ulrike Everts was last seen in a pony-drawn carriage on 11 June 1996. In July 1998, Ronny Rieken, arrested for the murder of 11-year-old Christina Nytsch, confessed to killing Everts and directed police to the location where he had hidden her body.||No / Murdered|
|1996||Laetitia Delhez||14||Delhez was kidnapped by Marc Dutroux and Michel Lelièvre as she walked home from a swimming pool in Bertrix, Belgium, on 9 August 1996. An eyewitness who was present at the scene of the kidnapping was able to tell the police part of Dutroux's van's numberplate. After Dutroux and Lelièvre confessed to kidnapping Delhez, police raided Dutroux's home on 15 August and found Delhez and Sabine Dardenne in the basement.||Yes|
|1996||Karyn Hearn Slover||23||Karyn Hearn Slover disappeared on 27 September 1996 in Decatur, Illinois, shortly after leaving her job at the Decatur Herald & Review, and her dismembered body was discovered wrapped in plastic bags sealed with duct tape in Lake Shelbyville on 1 October 1996.||No / Murdered|
|1996||Jakub Fiszman||39||Jakub Fiszman, a millionaire German businessman from Frankfurt am Main, who disappeared in Eschborn, Germany, on 1 October 1996, and his body was found on 19 October 1996 in the Taunus mountains, after a massive search operation involving some 500 police officers.||No / Murdered|
|1996||April Lacy||14||April Lacy, a girl from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who disappeared on 3 October 1996, and was found dead on 8 October 1996 in Decatur, Texas.||No / Murdered|
|1997||Amber Creek||14||Amber Creek, a girl from Palatine, Illinois ran away from a youth shelter in January 1997, and was found dead on 9 February 1997, and was not identified until a year later.||No / Murdered|
|1997||Gary DeVore||55||Gary DeVore, a Hollywood screenwriter best known for the movie Raw Deal, who disappeared on 28 June 1997, and a year later he and his car was discovered submerged in the California Aqueduct in Palmdale, California.||No|
|1997||Reena Virk||14||Reena Virk went missing on 14 November 1997 and was found dead on 22 November 1997, Warren Glowatski and Kelly Ellard were charged with murdering Virk and were found guilty.||No / Murdered|
|1998||Natascha Kampusch||10||Natascha Kampusch, an Austrian girl, who was kidnapped on her way to school in March 1998, was locked in a cellar, and escaped on 23 August 2006.||Yes|
|1998||Lois Roberts||39||Lois Roberts, from Australia disappeared outside the Nimbin Police Station on 31 July 1998, and her dismembered remains were found in the Whian Whian Forest on the mid-NSW north coast in January 1999.||No / Murdered|
|1998||Natasha Ryan||14||Natasha Ryan, an Australian girl who went missing in 1998, was found hiding in a wardrobe at her boyfriend's home in 2003.||Yes|
|1998||Ben Smart||21||Ben Smart and Olivia Hope, New Zealand party goers last seen in the early hours of 1 January 1998, who disappeared in mysterious circumstances in the Marlborough Sounds. Scott Watson was arrested for and convicted of their murder, but the verdict remains controversial and no trace of Smart or Hope has ever been discovered.||No / Murdered|
|1998||Dimitris Liantinis||55||Dimitris Liantinis, a Greek philosopher and professor at the University of Athens who disappeared on 1 June 1998. In July 2005 human bones were found in the area of the mountain Taygetos; forensic examinations verified that it was the body of Liantinis. No lethal substances were found to determine the cause of death.||No|
|1998||Kamiyah Mobley||< 1||Kamiyah Mobley, was abducted on 10 July 1998 shortly after her birth and was recovered 18 years later after having been raised by her alleged abductor.||Yes|
|1998||Kirsty Bentley||15||Bentley, a teenage girl in Ashburton, New Zealand, disappeared on 31 December 1998 while walking her family dog in the afternoon. After an extensive search lasting two weeks, her body was found in dense scrub approximately 40 km away. Police consider the case to be a homicide, and it remains one of the highest-profile cold cases in New Zealand. Her killer has never been identified.||No / Murdered|
|1999||Girly Chew Hossencofft||36||Girly Chew Hossencofft, a Malaysian-born woman who disappeared on 9 September 1999 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The investigation into the murder of Girly Chew revealed a conspiracy theory involving reptilian queens, UFOs and reports of cannibalism. Girly Chew's husband Diazien Hossencofft and his girlfriend Linda Henning were convicted of her murder. Girly's body has never been found.||No / Murdered|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|2000||Céline Saison||18||18-year-old student Céline Saison failed to return home from school in Charleville-Mézières on 16 May 2000. On 22 July that year, her remains were found in a forest in Vresse-sur-Semois. In 2004, Michel Fourniret admitted to kidnapping and killing her.||No / Murdered|
|2000||Keith Allan||53 or 54||Allan, an Australian solicitor, was murdered on 28 May 2000 in a contract killing. The whereabouts of his body is unknown. Three men were charged with killing him and three trials took place. The second trial in 2006 resulted in a hung jury. In 2007, all three were again found guilty and were sentenced to terms ranging from twenty three and a half years to nineteen years.||No / Murdered|
|2000||Molly Bish||16||A girl who disappeared while working as a lifeguard in her hometown of Warren, Massachusetts on 27 June 2000. Her remains were found three years later in neighboring Hampden County.||No / Murdered|
|2000||Georgiy Gongadze||31||A Georgian politician and Ukrainian journalist and film director who disappeared on 16 September 2000, and was found dead on 3 November 2000 in a forest in the Taraschanskyi Raion.||No / Murdered|
|2000||Jerry Michael Williams||31||Williams, a successful property appraiser from Tallahassee, Florida, was last seen leaving his house to go duck hunting early in the morning of 16 December 2000. It was assumed he had drowned accidentally after his car and abandoned boat were found at nearby Lake Seminole later in the weekend; however, a lengthy search failed to find his body, the only time a drowning victim's body has never been found in the lake. Investigators initially concluded his remains had been eaten by alligators in the lake; Williams was declared legally dead six months later. In 2004, a reopening of the case prompted by pressure from Williams' mother discredited the alligator theory and found other suspicious aspects of the case suggesting the accident at the lake might have been staged and evidence planted; it was later investigated as a possible insurance fraud. In 2017 police announced his remains had been found, and that he was the victim of a homicide, but gave no details. On 8 May 2018, police arrested Williams' former wife, who had remarried. After a four-day trial in December 2018, she was convicted of murder, conspiracy, and accessory after the fact.||No / Murdered|
|2001||Erica Green||3||Murder victim whose decapitated body was discovered on 28 April 2001, in Kansas City, Missouri, 12 to 48 hours after death. Her head was found in a trash bag nearby on 1 May 2001. The victim remained unidentified until 5 May 2005.||No / Murdered|
|2001||Chandra Levy||24||An American intern at the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C. who disappeared in May 2001. Her skeletal remains were found in Rock Creek Park on 22 May 2002.||No / Murdered|
|2001||Mananya Thumpong||13||Mananya Thumpong failed to return home from her local library in Sedan on 5 May 2001. On 1 March 2002, her skeletal remains were found in a forest in Paliseul. Michel Fourniret confessed to kidnapping and killing her in 2004.||No / Murdered|
|2001||Peter Falconio||28||A British tourist from Hepworth, West Yorkshire, who disappeared in the Australian outback in July 2001, while traveling with girlfriend Joanne Lees. Bradley Murdoch was charged with his disappearance, pleaded not guilty, but was convicted of the crime. He has appealed his conviction numerous times.||No / Murdered|
|2001||Don Craig Wiley||57||An American structural biologist, who disappeared on 15 November 2001. His body was found in the Mississippi River a month later and his death was ruled to be an accident.||No / Accident|
|2001||Stuart Adamson||43||Scottish musician best known as the frontman for the rock group Big Country, disappeared on 26 November 2001, and was found dead on 16 December 2001 in a hotel room through an act of suicide.||No / Suicide|
|2002||Alicia Kozakiewicz||13||Abducted from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on 1 January 2002 by 38-year-old Scott Tyree, with whom she had chatted online, believing he was a boy of her own age. Kozakiewicz was rescued four days later. She went on to become a television personality and internet safety and missing persons advocate, and the founder of the Alicia Project.||Yes|
|2002||Amanda Dowler||13||Amanda Dowler, known as Milly, disappeared in Walton-on-Thames while on her way home from school on 21 March 2002. On 18 September that year, mushroom pickers found her remains in a Hampshire forest.||No / Murdered|
|2002||Elizabeth Smart||14||Smart was kidnapped from her bedroom on 5 June 2002, and was found to be alive when police officers rescued her nine months later on 12 March 2003 in Sandy, Utah, about 18 miles from her home.||Yes|
|2003||Logan Tucker||6||Tucker was a 6 year old American boy who disappeared on 23 June 2002 became the victim of a murder where no body was found. His mother Katherine Rutan was convicted of first-degree murder in September 2007, and the jury recommended a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rutan was formally sentenced to life without parole in October 2007.||No / Murdered|
|2002||Jon-Niece Jones||9||An American girl who disappeared on 15 August 2002 and whose unidentified skeletal remains were found on 18 March 2005 near the gated forest of New Jersey's Six Flags Great Adventure theme park, by a deer hunter.||No / Murdered|
|2002||Amanda Zhao||21||An international student in Vancouver, British Columbia, who disappeared on 9 October 2002, and her body was found in a suitcase by hikers near Stave Lake on 20 October 2002.||No / Murdered|
|2002||Laci Peterson||27||Laci Peterson disappeared while 8 months pregnant with her first child on 24 December 2002. On 13 April 2003, a couple walking their dog discovered her body. Peterson's husband was found guilty of murdering her.||No / Murdered|
|2003||Amanda Berry||16||Berry disappeared on 21 April 2003, the day before her 17th birthday. She was walking home from her job at Burger King. During captivity, Berry gave birth to a daughter. Just over 10 years later, on 6 May 2013, Berry escaped along with Michelle Knight, Gina DeJesus and Berry's daughter. They were in reasonable health and within 3 miles of the site of their disappearances. They were kidnapped, and held in captivity by Ariel Castro, who was convicted to life imprisonment, and committed suicide in prison.||Yes|
|2003||Dru Sjodin||22||American woman who was abducted from the Columbia Mall on 22 November 2003 in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Her body was recovered on 17 April 2004 near Crookston, Minnesota.||No / Murdered|
|2003||Daniel Morcombe||13||Morcombe disappeared from the roadside near his Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia, home on 7 December 2003. His remains were found in 2011 as forensic testing confirmed that the bones were Morcombe's. Brett Peter Cowan was convicted of murder in the case.||No / Murdered|
|2004||Spalding Gray||62||Gray, an actor, writer and monologist, was declared missing on 11 January 2004. On 7 March 2004, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York reported that Gray's body had been discovered by two men and pulled from the East River. He is said to have committed suicide by drowning himself.||No / Suicide|
|2004||Perry Saturn||37||American professional wrestler who was involved in an April 2004 altercation with two men when he came to the aid of a woman that they were in the process of raping. He fought the men and was shot with a .25 caliber handgun in the back of the neck and in the right shoulder, to which he originally thought he had received a punch, as a result of the scuffle. After being shot, Saturn became addicted to methamphetamine and was homeless for two and a half years. Saturn disappeared from public view and was not seen for several years, with his family and friends unaware of his whereabouts. He reemerged in 2010, having resolved his addiction.||Yes|
|2004||Brooke Wilberger||19||Wilberger was abducted from Corvallis, Oregon, on the morning of 24 May 2004. Her remains were found on 21 September 2009.||No / Murdered|
|2004||Zhang Hongjie||25||Chinese University of Canberra communications student said to have disappeared in June 2004, she was found murdered in her flat in Belconnen in January 2005.||No / Murdered|
|2004||William Burgess Powell||56||Discovered naked and beaten and with severe amnesia on 31 August 2004, at a Burger King in Richmond Hill, Georgia; after efforts from genetic genealogists, his true identity was finally discovered on 16 September 2015. Powell had forgotten his identity and had been living under the name "Benjaman Kyle".||Yes|
|2005||Margie Profet||46||An evolutionary biologist who had ceased contact with her family in 2002 and had last been seen in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2005. In May 2012 she was told by a friend about her "disappearance" and contacted her family. She had been living in an isolated location, suffering from a physical ailment that caused her severe pain, and had not realized she was considered "missing".||Yes|
|2005||Jessica Lunsford||9||An American girl who was abducted from her home in Homosassa, Florida in the early morning of 24 February 2005 by John Couey; her body was found three weeks later, buried at the home of Couey's half-sister, who lived within sight of the Lunsford home.||No / Murdered|
|2005||Patrick McDermott||48||American cameraman and former boyfriend of singer Olivia Newton-John; disappeared from a fishing charter boat off San Pedro, Los Angeles, on 30 June 2005, and was suspected of faking his own death in order to cash in on a $100,000 life insurance policy for his son. However, a United States Coast Guard investigation released in November 2008 concluded that McDermott most likely drowned. In April 2010, investigators claimed that he had been found and was living in Mexico.||Yes|
|2005||Jenny Nicholl||19||Nicholl disappeared from North Yorkshire at the end of June 2005. David Hodgson, a 45-year-old married father of two, who had been having an affair with her for five years, was convicted of her murder. She was also seeing Hodgson's older brother, which police say, was the reason for her murder as David Hodgson became obsessively jealous about her relationship with his brother. He was convicted in February 2008 and sentenced to life with a minimum of 18 years, yet Nicholl's body has never been found.||No / Murdered|
|2005||Scout Taylor-Compton||16||American actress who went missing on 12 August 2005 in southern California and was found two weeks later. She had run away from home.||Yes|
|2005||Barry Cowsill||50||Musician and member of the 1960s pop group The Cowsills, disappeared on 29 August 2005, while trying to contact his sister during a storm. After an extensive search, Cowsill's body was found under a wharf on the Mississippi River on 28 December 2005. Cowsill's death was attributed to drowning as a result of the flooding following Hurricane Katrina.||No / Drowning|
|2005||Naomi Miller||34||A woman from Texas, who was reported missing in December 2005, and was found buried underneath the old San Angelo speedway on 8 March 2017. Her ex-husband Robert had faced charges in her death, and both he and his current wife pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 38 years in prison.||No / Murdered|
|2006||Dana Lowrey||23||Dana Nicole Lowrey last contacted her estranged husband in Minden, Louisiana in May 2006. She had traveled the United States selling magazines and at the time she last spoke to him, she was in Ohio. Lowrey is believed to be the first victim of serial killer Shawn Grate, who confessed to murdering the victim in 2016. Lowrey was identified by the DNA Doe Project in June 2019.||No / Murdered|
|2006||Nathalie Mahy and Stacy Lemmens||11 and 7||Nathalie Mahy and Stacy Lemmens were two Belgian stepsisters, who disappeared in the city of Liège on 10 June 2006 and were found murdered on 28 June 2006. On 10 June 2008, Abdallah Ait Oud was found guilty by a jury of kidnapping, rape and murder of the children, and sentenced to life imprisonment (which, under the Belgian law, is most of the time not fully served in prison but later on changed into a suspended sentence).||No / Murdered|
|2006||Chanel Petro-Nixon||16 or 17||An American teenager from Brooklyn, New York, who went missing on 18 June 2006. Her body was discovered on 22 June 2006 in a trash bag in front of 212 Kingston Avenue. It was determined that Petro-Nixon had been strangled.||No / Murdered|
|2006||Frauke Liebs||21||A student nurse who disappeared on 20 June 2006 after last being seen at a pub in Paderborn's city center. Her skeletonized body was found by a hunter on 4 October 2006 in a forested area next to a Landesstraße ("state road") near Lichtenau.||No / Murdered|
|2006||Destiny Norton||5||Disappeared on 16 July 2006 from Salt Lake City, Utah. Her body was found on 24 July 2006, less than 100 feet from her home in the basement of her neighbor, Craig Roger Gregerson.||No / Murdered|
|2006||Michelle Gardner-Quinn||21||An undergraduate at the University of Vermont, who was kidnapped on 7 October 2006. Her body was found along a road in the neighboring town of Richmond on 13 October 2006.||No / Murdered|
|2007||Erika Hill||15||Murdered on 21 February 2007 in her home in Fitchburg, Wisconsin, her body was first taken to Chicago and burned, then five days later it was moved to Gary, Indiana. Her identity was not revealed until 2015.||No / Murdered|
|2007||Riley Ann Sawyers||2||Disappeared from Spring, Texas on 24 July 2007. Her body was found in Galveston Bay, Texas on 29 October 2007.||No / Murdered|
|2007||Cédrika Provencher||9||A girl from Trois-Rivières, Quebec, who disappeared on 31 July 2007. The Quebec media believed that she was kidnapped. On 12 December 2015, Quebec police announced that her remains had been found in Mauricie, Quebec.||No|
|2007||Corryn Rayney||43 or 44||Rayney disappeared from Australia about 7 August 2007; her body was found a week later in a clandestine grave in Kings Park, Perth, with no clear cause of death.||No|
|2007||Nurin Jazlin||8||Malaysian girl who disappeared in Wangsa Maju, Kuala Lumpur on the night of 20 August 2007. She was found brutally tortured in front of a shop on 17 September 2007, her body stuffed inside a gym bag.||No / Murdered|
|2007||Steve Fossett||63||The famous businessman and record breaking aviator went missing on 3 September 2007 while flying over the Great Basin Desert. Exactly one year later, in September 2008, a hiker found Fossett's identification cards in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, leading shortly after to the discovery of the plane's wreckage. The remains of Fossett were two large bones, that were found half a mile from the crash site, probably scattered by wild animals.||No / Plane crash|
|2008||Brianna Denison||19||A college student from Santa Barbara, California, who was abducted on 20 January 2008 from a friend's house in Reno, Nevada. Her body was discovered on 15 February 2008 in a field near a Reno business park after being raped and murdered.||No / Murdered|
|2008||Shannon Matthews||9||English girl who was kidnapped in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire on 19 February 2008. She was found alive and well on 14 March 2008, and it turned out that the "kidnapping" had been a scam by her mother and an uncle of the mother's boyfriend to fraudulently claim a reward for her return.||Yes|
|2008||Leonid Rozhetskin||41||Russian financier and lawyer, who went missing from his village in Jūrmala, Latvia on 16 March 2008 under suspicious circumstances, and his body was found in 2013.||No|
|2008||Caylee Anthony||2||Caylee was reported missing on 15 July 2008 in Orlando, Florida. On 11 December 2008, her skeletal remains were found with a blanket inside a trash bag in a wooded area near the family home.||No|
|2009||Gerry Rafferty||61||Scottish singer-songwriter, who was reported as having been missing for seven months in February 2009, having disappeared from St Thomas' Hospital in London, where he was being treated for liver failure. Later that month, The Guardian reported that Rafferty had been found, and was described as living "in hiding" in the south of England.||Yes|
|2009||Sandra Cantu||8||American girl from Tracy, California who attracted national attention after she went missing on 27 March 2009. Her body was discovered two weeks later inside a suitcase in a nearby irrigation pond.||No / Murdered|
|2009||Mark Sanford||49||Republican South Carolina Governor disappeared on 18 June 2009, and reappeared on 24 June six days later.||Yes|
|2009||Annie Le||24||American doctoral student at the Yale School of Medicine's Department of Pharmacology, who disappeared on 8 September 2009, and was found dead on 13 September 2009 in the building where she worked.||No / Murdered|
|2009||Mitrice Richardson||24||American woman from Calabasas, California, who disappeared on 17 September 2009 after being released from police custody; her body was found on 9 August 2010.||No|
|2009||Morgan Dana Harrington||20||American Virginia Tech student, who disappeared from the John Paul Jones Arena on 17 October 2009, while attending a Metallica concert at the University of Virginia (UVA) in Charlottesville. Her body was discovered on 26 January 2010.||No / Murdered|
|Date||Person(s)||Age||Circumstances||Found alive / cause of death|
|2010||McStay family||various||Joseph McStay (40), his wife Summer (43), and their sons Gianni (4), and Joseph Jr. (3), abruptly disappeared from their Fallbrook, California, home under suspicious circumstances on 4 February 2010. Their bodies were found by a biker in the desert near Victorville, California, on 13 November 2013. One year later, on 7 November 2014, police arrested Charles "Chase" Merritt, Joseph McStay's business partner, and charged him with the murders.||No / Murdered|
|2010||Mackenzie Cowell||17||High school student who went missing after last being seen leaving the beauty school she attended in Wenatchee, Washington on 9 February 2010. She had told classmates she would be back in 15 minutes. Her body was found four days later on a river bank. A beauty school classmate was charged in her death and pleaded guilty to manslaughter.||No / Murdered|
|2010||Andrew Koenig||41||American actor who went missing after last being seen in Vancouver, British Columbia on 14 February 2010 and using his cellphone on 16 February. On 25 February 2010, a group of 11 of his friends and family members found his body hanging from a tree in Stanley Park in downtown Vancouver through an act of suicide.||No / Suicide|
|2010||Suzanne Pilley||38||A woman who disappeared on 4 May 2010 in Scotland. On 23 June 2010, David Gilroy, her former boyfriend, was detained by Lothian and Borders Police under section 14 of the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995 in connection with her disappearance. Later that day he was arrested and charged with her murder, and on 15 March 2012 he was found guilty, revealing that she had been murdered.||No / Murdered|
|2010||Lyle and Marie McCann||78 (Lyle)
|The McCann couple, from St. Albert, Alberta, Canada, went missing after going on a road trip on 3 July 2010. Their bodies were never found. In January 2017, Travis Vader was sentenced to life imprisonment for their manslaughter.||No / Manslaughter|
|2010||Lorenzen Wright||34||An American professional basketball player, who disappeared on 19 July 2010, and was found dead on 28 July in Memphis, Tennessee, in a wooded area. The case was ruled a homicide.||No / Murdered|
|2010||Joanna Yeates||25||A landscape architect from Hampshire, England, who disappeared on 17 December 2010 in Bristol. Her body was discovered on 25 December 2010 in Failand, North Somerset.||No / Murdered|
|2011||Muzafar Bhutto||41||A Sindhi nationalist politician, who went missing on 24 February 2011 and was found dead on 22 May 2012 at a roadside near Hatri bypass.||No / Murdered|
|2011||Holly Lynn Bobo||20||Disappeared from her home in Darden, Tennessee on 13 April 2011. Her remains were found in September 2014 in northern Decatur County, Tennessee, and her death was ruled a homicide.||No / Murdered|
|2011||Moussa Ibrahim||36||A Libyan political figure, who disappeared in August 2011. In October 2014, he was discovered in, and later deported from, Egypt.||Yes|
|2011||Erica Parsons||13||Last seen in North Carolina by persons outside her family in November 2011. In 2016, her remains were found in a shallow grave near her adoptive grandmother's house in an adjacent portion of South Carolina. It is strongly believed that she was murdered by her own adoptive parents, who allegedly abused her.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Gemma McCluskie||29||A British television actress who disappeared from her home in East London on 1 March 2012. Her dismembered body was discovered on 6 March 2012 in the Regent's Canal. Her brother, Tony McCluskie was charged and found guilty of her murder.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Allison Baden-Clay||43||An Australian woman who disappeared on 20 April 2012, and whose body was discovered on 30 April 2012 after she was reported missing by her husband, who was found guilty of murdering her.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Gavin Smith||57||An executive with 20th Century Fox who was last seen leaving a friend's house in Oak Park, California, on 1 May 2012. In 2014 he was declared legally dead from the night of his disappearance. His body was found in a shallow grave later that year by hikers in a rural area near Angeles National Forest. In early 2015 police arrested John Lenzie Creech, the husband of one of Smith's extramarital acquaintances, and charged him with Smith's murder. Creech, who is currently serving an eight-year sentence on an unrelated drug dealing conviction, admitted killing Smith, but claimed he did so in self-defense.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Skylar Neese||16||An American girl who disappeared from her home in Star City, West Virginia around midnight on 6 July 2012. Neese's remains were found on 16 January 2013, in Greene County, Pennsylvania.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Tia Sharp||12||A girl from the United Kingdom who went missing on 3 August 2012. Her body was found 7 days later in her grandmother's loft.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Austin Tice||31||A former U.S. Marine Corps officer and freelance journalist, who was kidnapped while reporting in Syria on 14 August 2012. A 47-second video of Tice blindfolded and bound was released in September 2012.||Yes|
|2012||Elaine O'Hara||36||An Irish childcare worker who was last seen on 22 August 2012 in Shanganagh, Dublin by a jogger. Her body was found on 21 August 2013. On 27 March 2015, Graham Dwyer, with whom she had participated in BDSM sessions, was convicted and sentenced to a term of life imprisonment.||No / Murdered|
|2012||April Jones||5||A girl from Machynlleth, Powys, who disappeared after she was sighted willingly getting into a vehicle near her home on 1 October 2012. On 30 May 2013, a man named Mark Bridger was arrested and charged with Jones' abduction and murder, even though her body has never been found.||No / Murdered|
|2012||Tokbergen Abiyev||unknown||A Kazakh journalist who went missing on 20 December 2012, just hours after he announced to the Kazakh media that he had a sensational news report about to be published. Abiyev reappeared on 4 January 2013.||Yes|
|2013||Glory Chau Wing-ki and Moon Siu Yuet-yee||63 and 65||Glory Chau Wing-ki and Moon Siu Yuet-yee were an elderly couple murdered in Hong Kong, presumably on 1 March 2013. Their youngest son Henry Chau Hoi-leung and his friend Angus Tse Chun-kei were indicted for the murder, which they initially denied being involved in. During Chau and Tse's interviews with the police, they admitted that after the murder, they chopped up the parents' dead bodies and cooked the remains with salt to make them look "like barbecue pork." They kept part of the remains in lunch boxes, which they stored in the refrigerator. The gruesome details of the murder sparked a huge amount of media coverage in Hong Kong. On 20 March 2015, High Court deputy judge Michael Stuart-Moore found Chau guilty of double murder while finding his accomplice Tse not guilty on both counts of murder.||No / Murdered|
|2013||Jessica Heeringa||25||Heeringa disappeared from her job at a gas station in Norton Shores, Michigan on 26 April 2013. Although her remains have not been found, in 2016, Jeffrey Willis, a frequent customer of hers, was charged with her kidnapping and murder due to forensic evidence and eyewitness testimony, while his cousin Kevin Bluhm was charged with accessory after the fact after he confessed to helping him bury her body. Willis was found guilty of Heeringa's kidnapping and murder on 16 May 2018. He received a life sentence without parole a month later. On 27 November 2017, Bluhm pleaded no contest to being an accessory after the fact for helping Willis dispose of Heeringa's body and was sentenced on 9 January 2018 to time served, plus five years probation and to wear a GPS tether for at least a year.||No / Murdered|
|2013||Ingrid Visser and Lodewijk Severein||35 and 35||Visser and her boyfriend Lodewijk Severein disappeared on 13 May 2013 shortly after checking into a hotel in the city of Murcia, Spain. Visser was a member of the Netherlands women's national volleyball team. Their bodies were found in a shallow grave in a lemon grove on 27 May. The pair had been abducted, tortured and killed. In November 2016 three men known to the couple were sentenced to 35 years in prison for the murders.||No / Murdered|
|2013||Cullen Finnerty||30||An American football quarterback, who disappeared on 26 May 2013 after he went fishing on the Baldwin River in Michigan, and was found dead on 28 May two days later in the woods.||No / Pneumonia|
|2014||David Bird||55||Bird, a reporter for the Wall Street Journal, left his Millington, New Jersey, home for a short walk on 11 January 2014, and never returned. His body was found in a nearby river 14 months later. A subsequent investigation determined that the cause of death was accidental drowning.||No / Drowning|
|2014||Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon||21 and 22||Two Dutch students who disappeared on 1 April 2014, while hiking in Panama. Their remains were found on 22 June 2014. There are unanswered questions about their deaths and it has not been possible to rule out accident or murder.||No / Death by misadventure|
|2014||Lynn Messer||52||Messer was not in bed next to her husband when he awoke on the morning of 8 July 2014, at their farm in Bloomsdale, Missouri. All her personal effects, including a walking boot she had been wearing to protect her broken toe, were in the house. In November 2016, remains found near the farm were identified as hers.||No|
|2014||Alice Gross||14||Gross went missing after leaving her home in Hanwell on 28 August 2014. The search for her was the largest deployment of Metropolitan Police officers in a search operation since the 7 July 2005 London bombings. It involved 600 officers from eight forces. Gross's body was found in the River Brent five weeks later, on 30 September.||No / Murdered|
|2014||Hannah Graham||18||Graham was reported missing after last being seen at the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville, Virginia on 13 September 2014, and her remains were found on 18 October 2014.||No / Murdered|
|2014||Atsumi Yoshikubo||45||Yoshikubo, a Japanese psychiatrist, was last seen on the morning of 22 October 2014, walking along the Ingraham Trail (NT 4) in a wooded area on the northern outskirts of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Her disappearance was not noted until three days later, when she had failed to check out of her hotel and the staff found her luggage, all packed, in her room. An intense search both by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and concerned local residents over the next few days was called off after a week when the RCMP announced that their investigation had led them to conclude that she came to Yellowknife with the intent to disappear into the wilderness (although she had bought a return ticket to Japan and souvenirs). Ten months later a hunter discovered some of her personal effects along with human remains in the bush off the highway; in April 2016, those remains were positively identified as Yoshikubo's.||No|
|2014||Charles Bothuell V||12||An American boy from Detroit, Michigan, reported missing by his father in June 2014. When a search was conducted to find him, he was found alive eleven days later locked in his parents' basement.||Yes|
|2015||Becky Watts||16||Watts, from Crown Hill in the St George area of Bristol, England, went missing on 19 February 2015. Her dismembered body was found on 3 March 2015 in Barton Court, Bristol.||No / Murdered|
|2015||Bella Bond||2||A child who was found dead in a plastic bag on the shore of Deer Island in Winthrop, Massachusetts, on 25 June 2015. Authorities pursued investigation into discovering who the child was until her identification in September 2015.||No / Murdered|
|2015||Amanda Peterson||43||On 3 July 2015, American actress Amanda Peterson was reported missing. Two days later Peterson was found dead at her home in Greeley, Colorado five days before her birthday. Her body was discovered by police when her family became concerned after Peterson missed a scheduled family dinner. An autopsy to determine the cause of Peterson's death was scheduled by the Weld County coroner for 6 July and the results of the autopsy and toxicology tests were released on 2 September 2015. The medical examiner determined that Peterson died of an accidental drug overdose.||No / Drug overdose|
|2015||DJ Derek||74||Pioneering British disc jockey, last seen leaving a pub in the St Pauls neighbourhood of his native Bristol on 11 July 2015; his body was found in March 2016 near The Mall, Cribbs Causeway. Avon and Somerset Police spokesmen said that investigators were satisfied that there was nothing to suggest that the death was suspicious.||No|
|2015||Tiahleigh Palmer||12||An Australian girl from Logan City, Queensland, who disappeared on 30 October 2015. Her remains were found on 5 November 2015 on the banks of the Pimpama River. In 2016 her foster father was charged with murdering her; several other members of the family pleaded guilty to charges related to their attempts to cover up in the case.||No / Murdered|
|2015||Yim Fung||52||A Chinese joint chairman and chief executive of Guotai Junan International Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of Guotai Junan Securities, who disappeared on 18 November 2015, but returned to work on 22 December 2015.||Yes|
|2015||Sian Blake||43||Blake, a British actress and her two children were reported missing on 16 December 2015. Three weeks later their bodies were found at Blake's home in Erith, London. Her partner, Arthur Simpson-Kent, pleaded guilty to the murders and was given a whole life sentence in October 2016.||No / Murdered|
|2015||Gui Minhai||51||The Chinese-born Swedish scholar and book publisher went missing in Thailand on 17 October 2015. He was the second of five book publishers to go missing around the same time. It was thought that he had been abducted by Chinese authorities and taken to China in relation to a fatal hit and run car accident in 2003 when he had been driving while intoxicated, as he appeared on Chinese television and made an apparent confession a few months after disappearing. Complaints about alleged Chinese abduction reached high political levels in Britain and the United States. Later, Gui was charged in China with "illegal business operations".||Yes|
|2016||Helen Bailey||51||The British writer of children's and teenage fiction was reported missing after allegedly taking her dog for a walk in Royston, Hertfordshire, England, in April 2016. No trace of her was found initially, but in July 2016 her remains were found and her partner was charged with her murder.||No / Murdered|
|2016||Sierah Joughin||20||An American woman who was abducted in Delta, Ohio on July 19, 2016. Her remains were found three days later in a shallow grave, and a nearby resident was charged with her abduction and murder.||No / Murdered|
|2016||Christer Ericsson||74||The Swedish businessman and billionaire disappeared after a fishing trip at Marstrand in June 2016. At first, only his boat was found. His body was also discovered at sea in late August 2016.||No / Drowning|
|2017||Randy Potter||53||Potter was last seen leaving his Lenexa, Kansas, home on the morning of 17 January 2017. On 12 September, his decomposed body was found in his truck, parked at Kansas City International Airport, where he had apparently gone to take his own life the morning of his disappearance.||No / Suicide|
|2017||Akbar Salubiro||25||A man who went missing on 25 March 2017 in Mamuju, Indonesia. His remains were found two days later inside the body of a Reticulated python.||No / Killed and eaten by a Reticulated python|
|2017||Santiago Maldonado||27||An Argentine craftsman and tattoo artist from the town of Veinticinco de Mayo, province of Buenos Aires, who was reported missing after a demonstration in Chubut on 1 August 2017. His body was found three months after, drowned at Chubut River. On 21 October 2017, after a 12-hour autopsy involving 55 experts, Judge Gustavo Lleral confirmed that Maldonado's body did not have any signs of violence and the cause of death was established as death by drowning.||No / Drowning|
|2017||Kim Wall||30||Swedish freelance journalist Kim Wall was reported missing after failing to return from a voyage on Peter Madsen's submarine UC3 Nautilus on 10 August 2017. Over the next three months, her severed body parts were found in Køge Bay. In April 2018, Madsen was convicted of her murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.||No / Murdered|
|2017||Maëlys de Araujo||8||Maëlys de Araujo disappeared during a wedding party in Le Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère, on the night of 26–27 August 2017. In February 2018, Nordahl Lelandais, who had been arrested on suspicion of kidnapping her, told police he had accidentally killed her and led them where he had hidden her body.||No / Homicide|
|2018||Scott Hutchison||36||Hutchison, the lead singer for Scottish indie rock band Frightened Rabbit, disappeared on 9 May 2018 from a hotel in South Queensferry, Scotland. Two days later, his body was found at the nearby Port Edgar marina.||No|
|2018||Mollie Tibbetts||20||Mollie Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student, was last seen during an evening jog on 18 July 2018. She was later found and pronounced dead on 21 August 2018.||No / Murdered|
|2018||Meng Hongwei||64||The president of Interpol visited his home country China in September 2018 and was reported missing by his wife on 4 October, after he had no contact with her or anyone else since 29 September. On 8 October, Chinese authorities confirmed that he was arrested for alleged corruption and bribery.||Yes|
|2018||Jamal Khashoggi||59||The Saudi Arabian journalist was not seen since he had an appointment at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October 2018. Saudi state television confirmed his death on 20 October. According to Turkish authorities, he was murdered by Saudi intelligence agents.||No / Murdered|
|2018||Jayme Closs||13||Closs disappeared on 15 October 2018 from her home in Barron, Wisconsin. Both of her parents were shot to death and she was abducted. Closs was recovered alive in Douglas County, Wisconsin, on 9 January 2019, and a suspect was arrested.||Yes|
|2019||Emiliano Sala||28||Emiliano Sala, a footballer, disappeared two days after signing with Cardiff City from FC Nantes in a suspected plane crash en route from Nantes to Cardiff, on 21 January 2019. On 24 January, after a "very thorough and extensive search" including 80 hours of combined searching undertaken by three planes, five helicopters and two lifeboats, Guernsey Police announced that they had called off the search for the plane or survivors. On 3 February, it was announced that another underwater search for the aircraft had begun, using the AAIB's Geo Ocean III vessel which, together with a privately-funded vessel, was conducting sonar surveys. On 4 February, investigators stated that there was one body visible inside the wreckage. On 7 February, the body was formally identified as that of Sala by Dorset Police.||No / Plane crash|
|2019||Desmond Amofah||29||Desmond Amofah, better known by his online alias Etika, posted a YouTube video titled "I'm sorry" to his personal YouTube channel TR1Iceman, alluding to his suicidal thoughts as he was walking down New York City streets; in the video he admitted to having mental health issues, struggled with the attention he had been getting from streaming, and apologized for pushing people away from him. He was last heard from at 8 PM that night and was reported missing to the New York Police Department (NYPD) by June 20. On the evening of June 24, NYPD and emergency medical services had recovered his body near Pier 16, approximately half a mile (0.8 km) down the East River and confirmed that he was deceased by the point of recovery. Two days later, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner determined that the cause of death was drowning, and the manner was suicide.||No / Suicide by drowning|
|2019||Florijana Ismaili||24||On 29 June 2019, Ismaili had dived into the water from a boat diving platform while on holiday at Lake Como in Lombardy, but never resurfaced. The next day, she was declared missing. Local authorities conducted an investigation, including using remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROV). On 2 July, Ismaili's body was found at the bottom of the Como Lake at a depth of 204 metres (669 feet). An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was from "an acute episode of asphyxia."||No / Drowning|
- Forced disappearance
- List of fugitives from justice who disappeared
- List of kidnappings
- List of murder convictions without a body
- List of people who disappeared mysteriously: post-1970
- List of people who disappeared mysteriously: pre-1970
- List of unidentified murder victims in the United States
- List of unsolved deaths
- Fowke, Bob (2001). What They Don't Tell You About The Tudors. London: Hodder Children's Books. p. 88. ISBN 978-0-340-78808-0.
- Watson, Greig (2017). "Lost girl who helped change the law". BBC News. Archived from the original on 10 December 2017. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Villaverde, Ángel Luis López (2010). "El crimen de Cuenca en treinta artículos: antología periodística del error judicial" [The crime of Cuenca in thirty articles: journalistic anthology of judicial error]. Universidad de Castilla–La Mancha. Archived from the original on 22 December 2017. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "The "gypsies" had left Round Lake when we reached there and we traced them to Volo, Illinois, and then to McHenry, where we found the band," said Det. Sheehan. "They had a girl about 5-years old with them, but she was not the missing child. Instead of having blond hair as reported by a number of persons, she had deep black hair and the dark complexion of the gypsies. She was the daughter of one of the gypsies and there was no other girl in the band." "Return: Quest for Girl in Vain". Chicago Daily News, 15 April 1911, p. 2.
- "MRS. CHRISTIE FOUND IN A YORKSHIRE SPA; Missing Novelist, Under an Assumed Name, Was Staying at a Hotel There. CLUE A NEWSPAPER PICTURE Mystery Writer Is Victim of Loss of Memory, Her Husband Declares. MRS. CHRISTIE FOUND IN A YORKSHIRE SPA". New York Times. 15 December 1926. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- New Kidnaping Clew Furnished in Hunt for Missing Collins Boy Los Angeles Times 4 April 1928.
- Foundas, Scott (19 December 2007). "Clint Eastwood: The Set Whisperer – Shooting quietly on the Changeling set". LA Weekly. Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 29 December 2007.
- King, Susan (7 September 2008). "Changeling actor reveres his boss: Clint Eastwood". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 5 September 2008.
- Pennay, Bruce. "Agostini, Linda (1905–1934)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Archived from the original on 6 August 2017.
- Nissley, Erin (19 January 2014). "Kingston resident's 1938 slaying remains unsolved". Archived from the original on 23 September 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Lanchin, Mike (24 January 2012). "Shoichi Yokoi, the Japanese soldier who held out in Guam". BBC News. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- Patrick M. Mendoza (1999). Extraordinary People in Extraordinary Times: Heroes, Sheroes, and Villains. Libraries Unlimited. p. 71. ISBN 978-1-56308-611-3.
- "WWII soldier who hid in jungle for 29 years dies at 91". 17 January 2014. Archived from the original on 13 September 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "DNA test closes book on mystery of Martin Bormann". The Independent. 4 May 1998. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "ANPI Voghera | Placido Rizzotto – Il Partigiano che morì di mafia". lombardia.anpi.it.
- "Ritrovati i resti di Placido Rizzotto sindacalista ucciso dalla mafia nel '48 – Palermo – Repubblica.it". Palermo – La Repubblica.
- Online, Redazione. "Identificati dopo 64 anni i resti di Rizzotto il sindacalista che combatteva la mafia di Liggio". Corriere della Sera.
- Blumenthal, Ralph; Times, Special to the New York (22 June 1985). "Scientists Decide Brazil Skelton Is Josef Mengele". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 2 April 2018. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Vyhnak, Carola (1 June 2017). "The 11-year mystery of Leafs' 'Bashin' Bill Barilko' | Toronto Star". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Victims of Aviation Accidents or Incidents in Canada: Cal Jones, Billy Joe Booth, Jonathan Mann, Brice Herbert Goldsborough, Bill Barilko, ISBN 978-1-155-40830-9
- "Aide of Joe Adonis is Found Shot Dead" (PDF). New York Times. 20 April 1951. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "La Cosa Nostra". www.lacndb.com.
- "Vincent Mangano". About.com News & Issues. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "All in the Family: Inside the Gambinos – slide 5". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Unsolved murders: The Bog Grave". Imgur. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Biography of Curtis Chillingworth". www.biographies.net. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "Elvis Presley-loving Grimes sisters found dead 60 years ago". NY Daily News. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Clipped From The News-Herald". The News-Herald. 5 March 1957. p. 12. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Missing Girl 4, Found Dead (March 4, 1957)". Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Inc, Time (5 March 1965). LIFE. Time Inc.
- Nash, Jay Robert (1 January 1978). Among the Missing: An Anecdotal History of Missing Persons from 1800 to the Present. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9780671240059.
- Goode, Erica (10 December 2012). "Maria Ridulph's Killer Gets Life 55 Years After Her Death". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "True Republican 29 April 1958 – Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections". idnc.library.illinois.edu. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Japanese WWII soldier found alive". 18 April 2006. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Missing mom found alive in Canada after more than 50 years". Fox News. 20 July 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Squadron Leader Ajammada Boppaya Devayya". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Google Translate". translate.google.ca. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Alvar Larsson 1967 by daCosta_arkivet". Photobucket. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Doaily News". news.google.com. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Siemaszko, Corky (28 April 2016). "Reet Jurvetson, Killed in 1969, Could Be a Manson Family Murder Victim". NBC. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Missing For 30 Years". Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Reyna Marroquin – True Crime Truant". truecrimetruant.com. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Dna Links Suicide To Killing". tribunedigital-sunsentinel. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Jacques Vergès". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "Forensic History: Crimes, Frauds, and Scandals" by Professor Elizabeth A Murray
- Report of the Royal Commission to Inquire into the Circumstances of the Convictions of Arthur Allan Thomas for the Murders of David Harvey Crewe and Jeanette Lenore Crewe, 1980 (PDF), archived from the original (PDF) on 9 June 2011, retrieved 12 August 2017
- macewen2013 (2 July 2014). "A Hell of a Hoax! Part 4: The Missing Attorney and More Murders". Bone Speak. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- Becerra, Hector; Winton, Richard (1 June 2012). "Manson follower's tapes may yield new clues, LAPD says". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "Tate Lawyers Body Believed To Be Found – Charles Manson Family and Sharon Tate-Labianca Murders Archive". www.cielodrive.com. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "Mystery woman". The Independent. 23 June 2005. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Shelagh McDonald, Vanished Singer/Songwriter Feared Dead for Decades, Is Alive and Singing..." HuffPost UK. 10 January 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- McDonald, Shelagh (12 October 2013). "Experience: I disappeared for 30 years". the Guardian. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Olsen, Lise (31 August 2015). "Confessions of a cold-blooded killer". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Dead End at Toms River: A Bizarre Murder Mystery". Maury Z. Levy: Greatest Hits, Volume One. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Coffeehouse Aides Discount Murder Tie-In". The Elizabeth Daily Journal. 3 October 1972.
- "The Unsolved Murder of Jeannette DePalma". Sword and Scale. 14 August 2015. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Ap (18 September 1989). "Former Captive of Molester Is Killed in a Hit-Run Crash". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- NX2. "36 Years Ago, Steven Stayner Escaped His Kidnapper After 7 Years To Save Another Boy's Life". nx2.com. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- Hornus, Tony (8 March 2001). "Dawn Magyar Murder Suspect Was Arrested By Police March 7". Argus-Press. Owosso, Michigan. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Hornus, Tony (11 March 2001). "Is Dawn Magyar's Alleged Murderer Jerald Wingeart a Serial Rapist?". Argus-Press. Owosso, Michigan. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Peter Wilson: 'Disappeared' by the IRA, found at the beach his family treasured – BelfastTelegraph.co.uk". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Staff, KOIN 6 News (14 July 2015). "1974 remains positively ID'd as Martha Morrison". KOIN 6. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "NamUs UP # 10045". identifyus.org. National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "The Doe Network: Case File 65DFMD". doenetwork.org. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "The Doe Network: Case File 64DFMD". doenetwork.org. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Morse, Dan (15 July 2015). "Imprisoned sex offender charged with murder in 1975 Lyon sisters case". The Washington Post. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Pat Lowther Memorial Award – League of Canadian Poets". poets.ca. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Konigsberg, Eric (25 April 2014). "Who Killed Anna Mae?" – via NYTimes.com.
- FBI FOIA files John Roselli FBI Files
- "Baker to Ask F.B.I. and C.I.A. For Data on Murder of Roselli". nytimes.com. 10 August 1976.
- C., G. (23 August 1976). "Deep Six for Johnny" (PDF). Time Magazine. pp. 23–25.
Alameda Fratianno was Roselli's protégé because Roselli introduced Fratiano to NY mob he was responsible for Fratiano's actions who was an informant therefore death is of consequence.
- News, New York Daily. "Gravano killed brother-in-law, defense attorney says N.Y. judge rules revelations were too inflammatory for Gotti mob jury to hear". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "John Dewhirst, victim of Pol Pot's killing fields, may have been burned alive". khmernz.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- Standard-Examiner. "Body found in Utah in 1978 identified as California woman". Standard-Examiner. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Murder of Marilee Bruszer". webkinzwate.blogspot.ca. 24 October 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Dad Identifies Dead Co-Ed". The Sherbrooke Record. 17 April 1979.
- Saulny, Susan (5 May 2004). "Judge Rules That a Convicted Molester, Now in Prison, Is Responsible for Etan Patz's Death". New York Times.
- "Authorities reopening Etan Patz case". CNN. 26 May 2010.
- "Pedro Hernandez Found Guilty of Kidnapping and Killing Etan Patz in 1979". New York Times. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Police ID teen found dead in cornfield in '79". Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Raith, Mark Alan (19 July 1981). "The Life and Death of Jean Seberg". Reading Eagle. p. 36. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- O'Brien, Jane (3 February 2016). "Missing US children from 1979 identified after BBC story". BBC News – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Tucker, Jill (8 February 2016). "Bones Found 37 Years Ago Linked to Missing Sonoma County Girls" – via www.sfgate.com.
- "Forestville girls ID'd as victims in 37-year cold case". Santa Rosa Press Democrat. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 29 December 2017.
- O'Neil, Marnie (5 February 2016). "Murdered teens identified as missing girls Kerry Graham, 15, and Francine Trimble, 14". News Limited. Sydney, Australia: News Limited. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Marcia S. Moore Collection, 1948–1999 (Bulk 1948–1964)". 27 August 2015. Archived from the original on 27 August 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- Suzanne Breen (17 October 2010). "Masked IRA man's map leads to body in Louth". Sunday Tribune. Archived from the original on 21 October 2010. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- "Remains were 'Disappeared' Crossmaglen man Gerry Evans". BBC News. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- Erickson, David. “Runaway Jane.” Who Killed Jane Doe?, season 1, episode 6, Investigation Discovery, 4 Apr. 2017.
- Vallieu, Melody (11 April 2018). "'Buckskin Girl' identified". Troy Daily News. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Timothy White, victim of 1980 kidnapping, dies". Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "UPDATE: 1980s Missing Person Case Becomes Homicide Investigation". Bristow Beat. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Cynthia Gastelle's Remains Identified: 32 Years Later, Cops Link Remains To Missing Woman". Huffington Post. 13 June 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Remains of Missing Teen IDed After 32 Years". NBC4 Washington. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Santa Ana, California History | Crime, August 16, 1984". newspaperarchive.com. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Evans, Heidi (17 August 1984). "Remains Confirm Family's Fears". Los Angeles Times. p. 4. Retrieved 31 March 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Dingo took Azaria Chamberlain, coroner finds". The Sydney Morning Herald. 12 June 2012.
- Jordan, Michael, dir. "A Daughter's Journey." Forensic Files. Prod. Paul Bourdett. TruTV. Atlanta, Georgia, 9 Aug. 2004. Television.
- "Case #84-04 06-17B". LSU FACES Lab. Louisiana State University. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Aftermath of a Hit" Archived 2010-02-01 at the Wayback Machine by David Amoruso Gangsters Inc. May 8, 2007
- "An FBI agent who infiltrated the Bonanno crime family..." upi.com. 5 August 1982.
- "Skeletal Remains Are Believed To Be Those of Mob Captains" by William K. Rashbaum New York Times October 13, 2004
- "Metro Briefing" New York Times December 21, 2004
- Erzinçlioglu, Zakaria (2013). Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist. Macmillan. p. 162.
- "Timeline: Karen Price 'body in carpet' Cardiff murder case". ITV News. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- Prior, Neil (17 March 2010). "Pathologist Bernard Knight to stop crime writing". BBC News. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Police: 1981 killing of Adam Walsh solved". msnbc.com. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Pistone, Joseph D. (1 February 1997). Donnie Brasco. Penguin. ISBN 9781101154069 – via Google Books.
- Rink, Matthew. "Family of Tina Harmon, abducted and killed in 1981, wants police to reopen the case". The Independent. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- Renner, James. "Ghosts of Wayne County". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "'Jane Doe' found murdered in Texas 31 years ago identified as missing New London, Connecticut teen Michelle Garvey". masslive.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Hone-McMahan, Kim (6 April 2006). "New family takes in broken child". Akron Beacon Journal. Archived from the original on 29 June 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.(subscription required)
- "Robert Anthony Buell #801". www.clarkprosecutor.org. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Pappas car found". Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "U.S. Air Force fugitive missing for 35 years found living in California". USAToday. 11 June 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "Cooke: The predatory paedophile". BBC News. 17 December 1999. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Paedophile gets life for killing boy, 7, at orgy: Homosexual ring abducted children and drugged them for group sex". The Independent. 23 October 1992. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Limberis, Chris. "Justice Delayed". Tucson Weekly. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Harrison, Jeff (2015). "Forensic Legend in Our Own Backyard". Arizona Alumni Magazine. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Remains of missing Manchester woman last seen in 1984 identified, possible link to string of homicides". Manchester Ink Link. 14 November 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- ""Knox County Jane Doe" positively identified 33 years later – ABC 36 News". ABC 36 News. 1 October 2018. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Case of Woman Who Disappeared 22 Years Ago Solved". WSB-TV. Atlanta, Georgia. Associated Press. 23 January 2008. Archived from the original on 29 January 2008. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "1987 shooting victim identified as Spokane girl, police in Arizona say". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Fourniret : sa première victime retrouvée au fond d'un puits". Libération.fr. 12 July 2006.
- "Michel Fourniret condamné à la perpétuité dans l'affaire Hammiche". www.20minutes.fr.
- Butler, Judith (1993). "Gender is Burning: Questions of Appropriation and Subversion" (PDF). Bodies That Matter: On the Discursive Limits of "Sex". New York: Roudedge. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- "Elle était fraîche et pure, comment se douter de la malice des autres ?". Libération.fr. 10 April 2008.
- Carolyne Meng-Yee (7 November 2010). "Tamihere home in eight days". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Irsay, Steve. "The search for Jacob". Court TV. Archived from the original on 22 February 2009.
- "Authorities confirm: Jacob found". SCTimes. Saint Cloud, Minnesota. 4 September 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Renner, James. "Person of Interest". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Investigators still chasing Amy Mihaljevic's killer: Brent Larkin". cleveland.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Good, Meaghan Elizabeth. "The Charley Project: Melissa Lee Brannen". charleyproject.org. Archived from the original on 10 January 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "15 Creepy Unsolved Mysteries That Happened Around Christmastime". TheRichest. 13 December 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Crime and Punishment". People.com. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Libre.be, La (13 April 2008). "Retour sur le calvaire d'Elisabeth Brichet". www.lalibre.be.
- "WJFW – Newswatch 12 Exclusive: Inside the Susan Poupart cold case investigation". www.wjfw.com. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Silvester, John (8 April 2006). "'Mr Cruel' filmed his victims, say police". The Age. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Five years later: Jaycee Dugard found alive after 18-year captivity". Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Timothy Wiltsey: Ten years after the 5-year-old South Amboy boy disappeared". NJ.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Santora, Marc; Grant, Jason (18 May 2016). "Woman Found Guilty of Murder in 1991 Death of Her Son, 5". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Schabner, Dean (12 October 2013). "Baby Hope Case: Cousin Arrested in 22-Year-Old Killing". ABC News. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Margarita Castillo, Mother of Baby Hope, Speaks Out After Conrado Juarez Confesses To Daughter's Murder". Huffington Post. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Coll, Steve (8 May 1994). "THE TROUBLESOME DEATH OF MARGARET PERRY". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Murdered girl Sheree Beasley remembered". Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Wayback Machine" (PDF). 28 January 2015. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- WISEGUY GETS LIFE FOR HIT ON GAY MOB BOSS Archived February 20, 2009, at the Wayback Machine by Thomas Zambito. New York Daily News, June 13, 2006
- ¡Antonia, Desirée, Miriam!, El País, 7 December 1992.
- Hallados los cadáveres de las tres niñas desaparecidas de Alcàsser con indicios de haber sido asesinadas, Francesc Bayarri, El País, 28 January 1993.
- Tres detenidos por el asesinato de las niñas de Alcásser, Jesús Duva, Francesc Bayarri, El País, 29 January 1993.
- Diana Jean Schemo, Katie's Ordeal. New York Times, 1993-01-17.
- J. David Goodman, A Girl Held for 16 Days in a Dungeon, Now Looking Back as a Woman. New York Times, 15 January 2013.
- Reuters (13 August 2015). "Former general under Pinochet dies in apparent suicide days after sentencing". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Long wait ends with sunrise at Sunset Beach". NZ Police. 20 June 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Holly Piirainen: New details emerge in 19-year-old murder case". Fox 25 Boston. 19 November 2012.
- EndPlay (20 November 2012). "Holly Piirainen: New details emerge in 19-year-old murder case". WFXT. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Two Decade Old 'Pogonip Jane' Cold Case Solved by Santa Cruz Police". Santa Cruz, CA Patch. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Santa Cruz 'Pogonip Jane' cold case murder takes ironic twist". Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Birkbeck, Matt. "Finally". Matt Birkbeck Official Site.
- "FBI website". Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Good, Meaghan. "Randi Stacey Boothe-Wilson". The Charley Project. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Woman identified in 23-year-old cold case in Jacksonville". www.witn.com. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Did the Interpol list Henning Wehn as a missing person?". youtube.com. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- Leonard Reed, Missing: Philip (Taylor) Kramer. Los Angeles Times, 30 March 1995. Retrieved 2016-07-06.
- Swanson, Dave. "The Mysterious Death of Iron Butterfly Bassist Philip Taylor Kramer". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Sister claims family covered up brother's role in Kiplyn Davis murder". Good4Utah. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Olsen takes plea deal in Kiplyn Davis case". ksl.com. 11 February 2011. Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Libre.be, La (6 February 2004). "Julie et Mélissa,14 mois de mystères". www.lalibre.be.
- Li, David K. (15 January 2015). "Mom reports son missing 20 years after he left to follow Grateful Dead". New York Post. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "DNA positively identifies 'Grateful Doe' as man missing from Myrtle Beach". WMBF News. NBC. 9 December 2015. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "10 Bizarre Unidentified Body Cases". 7 July 2014. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Case Report – NamUs UP # 6095". identifyus.org. National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. 23 October 2009. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Libre.be, La (9 February 2004). "An et Eefje, jusqu'au bout de l'horreur". www.lalibre.be.
- "The true story behind the San Antonio kidnapping & murder of 'The Most Hated Woman in America'". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Milloy, Ross E. (16 March 2001). "Bodies Identified as Those of Missing Atheist and Kin". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Man executed for 1995 rape, murder of Fla. boy". Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "Dit moet je weten over de zaak-Nicole van den Hurk | NU – Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl". www.nu.nl. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Bernard Weinstein torturé avec des colliers de serrage". www.dhnet.be. 11 March 2004.
- "All Cases Summary". ovcoldcasessummary.ca. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Swaint, Jack (10 July 2007). "Who Killed 13-Year-Old Barbara Ann Barnes?". Who killed--? Pittsburgh, PA. Bloomington, IN: Rooftop Pub. ISBN 978-1600080401. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Fears grow for Celine after body is found". The Independent. 30 December 1995. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "METRO NEWS BRIEFS: NEW YORK; Killer of Girl, 8, Gets Up to 19 Years in Prison". The New York Times. 23 December 1997. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Libre.be, La (10 February 2004). "Sabine et Laetitia, la fin d'un cauchemar". www.lalibre.be.
- "Melanie Hall: timeline". The Daily Telegraph. London. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
- "Timeline: Melanie Hall disappearance". BBC. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
- "Melanie Hall murder probe: DNA evidence discovered". BBC News. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- "KRIMINALITÄT: "Etwas ganz, ganz Schlimmes"". 27 July 1998 – via Spiegel Online.
- Writer, HUEY FREEMAN – H&R Staff. "Ruling in Karyn Slover murder case narrows options for further appeals". Herald-Review.com. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Chronologie: Die Entführung und Ermordung Jakub Fiszmans". archiv.rhein-zeitung.de. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Prostitutes' grim lives end violently on highway". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Graham, Doug T. "Judge orders Eaton held over for trial in Amber Creek slaying". Daily Herald. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "The Mystery of the Dead Hollywood Screenwriter Whose Hands Were Never Found". Vice. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Austrian girl 'found' after years". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- "HER KILLER IS STILL OUT THERE". Northern Star. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "A sister's heartbreak over the unsolved murder of her twin". www.9news.com.au. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Staff; agencies (11 April 2003). "Alleged Australian murder victim found alive". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "crime.co.nz". Crime.co.nz. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Λιαντινης – Βιογραφικό". www.filosofia.gr. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Sanchez, Ray. "Newborn abducted from hospital found alive 18 years later, sheriff says". CNN. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Work and Income double murderer interviewed over Kirsty Bentley cold case". Stuff. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Girly Chew Hossencofft". The Charley Project. 12 October 2004. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Novelist's murder trial set to open in North Carolina". CNN. 27 June 2003.
- "New Yorker to argue he never meant to kill billionaire banker, nurse". CNN. 9 April 2002.
- "Alien Love Queen: Desert Murder Mystery". poeticjustice.com. 2013.
- "Fourniret : le face-à-faceavec le père de Céline". FIGARO. 24 April 2008.
- "Anatomy of a suburban hit". The Age. 31 July 2004. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Emily Webb (2014), Murder in Suburbia: Disturbing stories from Australia's dark heart, The Five Mile Press, Scoresby, Victoria, p.99 ISBN 9781743465288
- R v Cavkic, Athanasi & Clarke  VSC 289 (16 August 2007), Supreme Court (Vic, Australia).
- "International Conference: '10 years on – No Justice for Georgiy... · Article 19". www.article19.org. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Portman, Jennifer (14 December 2006). "Six years ago, this hunter disappeared". Tallahassee Democrat. Archived from the original on 26 February 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Portman, Jennifer (20 December 2017). "FLDE special agent: 'Mike Williams was murdered'". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Etters, Karl; Portman, Jennifer (14 December 2018). "'Justice for Michael': 18 years later, Florida woman found guilty in plot to kill husband". USA Today. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "CNN.com – Mother, stepfather charged in 'Precious Doe' killing – May 5, 2005". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- BRAUN, STEPHEN (23 May 2002). "Remains in D.C. Park Identified as Intern's". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "La mort de la "petite Asiatique" repérée par Michel Fourniret". 30 April 2008 – via Le Monde.
- "Murdoch guilty of murder: now tell us where the body is, says Lees – National". www.smh.com.au. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Professor Don C. Wiley, 1944–2001". Office of news and public affairs. Harvard University. 15 January 2002. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Harvard Biologist's Death Ruled Accidental". The New York Times. 15 January 2002. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Obituary: Professor Don C. Wiley, 1944–2001". Office of news and public affairs. Harvard University. 21 December 2001. Archived from the original on 4 May 2009. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "CNN.com – Big Country star found dead – December 17, 2001". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- "Missing teen found safe but tied up in Virginia townhouse". old.post-gazette.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Abducted, Enslaved—and Now Talking About It – Vol. 67 No. 15". PEOPLE.com. 16 April 2007. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Timeline: Milly Dowler". 20 September 2002 – via news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Elizabeth Smart Found Alive in Utah". Fox News. 12 March 2003. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Special Series: Looking For Logan Tucker | NewsOK". Oklahoman.com. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "Missing Children: Where are They?". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "Why jury said mom killed boy". The Daily Oklahoman. 1 September 2007. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Mom sits emotionless as judge locks her up for life". The Daily Oklahoman. 10 October 2007. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- "Duct Tape Found Stuck To Mouth of Child's Remains". wftv.com. 12–13 December 2008. Archived from the original on 3 September 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- "Three New Yorkers Charged In 'Baby Bones' Case". CBS New York. CBS. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Visiting parents demand justice in Zhao's slaying 6 years ago". 11 October 2008. Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Profile: Amanda Berry, Georgina DeJesus and Michele Knight". BBC. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Trio of abducted girls escapes Cleveland house after 10 years". TheSpec.com. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Gunderson, Dan. "Judge sentences Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. to death". Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Calligeros, Marissa (28 August 2011). "Police confirm remains were Daniel Morcombe's". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Snead, Robin (August 2007). "What It Feels Like to Find Spalding Gray's Body". Esquire. p. 91. Retrieved 23 February 2009.
- "411MANIA – Perry Saturn Update: Return From Injury". Perry Saturn Update: Return From Injury. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013.
- 1WrestlingVideo (12 December 2010). "Back From Drugs and Homelessness Perry Saturn surfaces" – via YouTube.
- Maffei, Chris (5 June 2013). "Interview – Perry Saturn on Drug Addiction, Benoit and more". FightNetwork.com. Anthem Media Group. Archived from the original on 19 January 2015. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Meltzer, Dave (2008). "SUNDAY UPDATE: KOWALSKI COVERAGE, RATINGS, FORMER WWE STAR DEBUTS TV SHOW TOMORROW; TNA VIDEO GAME". Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Weekly. Archived from the original on 15 August 2011.
- "Prosecutors release details of Wilberger's abduction, murder | KSL.com". Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Media Conference, Winchester Police Centre Canberra, Commander Shane Connelly, Murder of Zhang Hong Jie,7 March 2005". 14 February 2006. Archived from the original on 14 February 2006. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- Hudak, Stephen. "No-man's land: Amnesia stole his identity for 11 years". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Mohrmann, Kent Justice, Jodi (16 September 2015). "Benjamin Kyle writes 'Thank You' post". WJXT. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Mike Martin, The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Genius. Psychology Today, May 2012.
- Brendan Maher, Missing Biologist Surfaces, Reunites with Family. Nature, 31 May 2012.
- "Convicted child killer Couey dies in prison, Florida officials say - CNN.com". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "Patrick McDermott is Alive and on the Run". News.com.au. 28 January 2009. Archived from the original on 31 January 2009.
- "Olivia Newton-John's former beau found after faking his own death". NY Daily News. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "BBC News – Plea to killer over lover's body". BBC News. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "Actress Scout Taylor-Compton Found After Two-Week Disappearance". MTV News. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (20 February 2006). "Cowsills Frontman William Cowsill Dies". people.com. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Barry Cowsill dies, 51", Sarnia Observer (ON). Entertainment, Monday, 9 January 2006, p.B4.
- Burch, Jamie (9 March 2017). "Remains of missing woman found buried at old San Angelo Speedway". KTXS. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Garcia, Juan. "Possible accomplice to Naomi Miller's Murder, arrested". Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "Missing for 11 years, West Texas woman found buried behind old racetrack". star-telegram. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "Woman pleads guilty to murdering Naomi Miller found buried at San Angelo race track". San Angelo. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Minden woman, missing since 2006, identified as victim of serial killer | Minden Press-Herald". press-herald.com. 4 June 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- Bodies of missing girls found, CNN
- "Invuloefening Feniks Hoofdstuk 1 Van vuistbijl tot sikkel – Blik op de Wereld". www.blikopdewereld.nl.
- ""Ait Oud, reconnu coupable, s'effondre" (lesoir.be)". Archived from the original on 13 June 2008.
- ""La perpétuité pour Abdallah Ait Oud" (lesoir.be)". Archived from the original on 13 June 2008.
- "BODY FOUND IN BAG ID'D AS STUDIOUS B'KLYN GIRL – News – NY Daily News". 1 April 2008. Archived from the original on 1 April 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "7,500 Euro Reward for Information on the Murder of Frauke Liebs" (in German). Joint Press Release from Paderborn's Prosecutor's Office and Homicide Division. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- POLLMEIER, VON UWE. "Fernsehsender sucht den Mörder von Frauke Liebs". Lübbecke (in German). Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- "Destiny Norton Found Dead, Suspect Arrested". www.ksl.com.
- "Vt. Slay Suspect Has A Sordid Past". Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- Journal, Amanda Finn | Wisconsin State. "Madison woman pleads guilty to causing the death of her adopted daughter". madison.com. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- NBC15. "UPDATE: Neighbors describe Taylin Hill as 'nice'". Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "'Baby Grace' Sketch Unleashes Wave of Tips". ABC News. Associated Press. 5 November 2007. Archived from the original on 9 November 2007.
- "Sûreté du Québec". Archived from the original on 16 December 2015.
- "Il y a un coupable et il se connaît | Jean-Marc Beaudoin | Le Nouvelliste". La Presse (in French). Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Où est Cédrika? | Marie-Eve Lafontaine | Le Nouvelliste". La Presse (in French). Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Over 200 police on scene as Cedrika Provencher investigation continues | CTV Montreal News". montreal.ctvnews.ca. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Les ossements de Cédrika Provencher retrouvés".
- Anne-Louise Brown (16 July 2012). "No cause of death revealed in Rayney case". WA Today (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Girl, 8, found dead in sports bag – World – theage.com.au". www.theage.com.au. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Some remains found in Fossett plane wreckage - CNN.com". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- York, By Tom Leonard in New. "'Body parts' found in wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- Producer, By Rupa Mikkilineni Nancy Grace. "Tip line played key role in cracking cold case - CNN.com". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Shannon Matthews: The kidnap hoax that shocked the UK". BBC News. 6 February 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Metro.co.uk, Adam Starkey for (7 February 2017). "What happened to Shannon Matthews? Story behind BBC One drama The Moorside". Metro. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "The body of missing Russian tycoon Leonid Rozhetskin has been found". The Independent. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- "Prosecution, defense offer closing arguments in Casey Anthony trial". Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Fears growing for missing Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty". The Telegraph. 16 February 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Gillan, Audrey (17 February 2009). "Missing Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty is living in hiding". the Guardian. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- News, A. B. C. (14 June 2010). "Former Teacher Confesses to Murder of Girl, 8". ABC News. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Byers, Dylan (31 December 2012). "AP's Jim Davenport dead at 54". Politico.com. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Collins, Jeffrey (31 December 2012). "South Carolina AP reporter Jim Davenport dies". Associated Press. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Korn, Harrison; Needham, Paul (14 September 2009). "Female Body Found at 10 Amistad St.; Police Suspect it is Annie Le Grd '13". Yale Daily News. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- "Clues point to inside job in Yale killing". msnbc.com. MSNBC. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- "No signs of foul play in Mitrice Richardson's death, authorities say [Updated]". LA Times Blogs – L.A. NOW. 12 August 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Morgan Dana Harrington: Missing Virginia Tech Student's Body Found on Farm – True Crime Report". True Crime Report. 27 January 2010. Archived from the original on 21 June 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- News, A. B. C. (5 June 2012). "Is This the Metallica Concert Killer Who Has Eluded the FBI?". ABC News. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "How the McStay case unfolded". U-T San Diego. 15 November 2013. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Timeline: McStay Family Mystery". NBC 7 San Diego. 16 November 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Business partner arrested in McStay family slaying, desert burial". Los Angeles Times. 7 November 2014.
- "Wenatchee suspect pleads guilty in beauty school killing". The Seattle Times. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- Roberts, Soraya (28 February 2010). "'Growing Pains' actor Andrew Koenig hanged himself from tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park: source". Daily News (New York).
- Duke, Alan (25 February 2010). "Missing actor's body found in Vancouver park, source says". CNN. Archived from the original on 27 February 2010.
- Fisher, Luchina (26 February 2010). "Andrew Koenig's Long, Losing Battle With Depression". ABC News. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Argyll News: Suzanne Pilley murder: David Gilroy in police detention, now charged". For Argyll. 23 June 2010. Archived from the original on 29 June 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Suzanne Pilley murder trial: David Gilroy found guilty". BBC News. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Travis Vader murder verdict changed to manslaughter as judge admits error". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Police: Former NBA big man Lorenzen Wright was shot to death - NBA - SI.com". Sports Illustrated. 29 July 2010. Archived from the original on 31 July 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Joanna Yeates: New CCTV Pictures Of Architect Who Disappeared A Week Ago In Bristol | UK News | Sky News". 27 December 2010. Archived from the original on 27 December 2010. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Body is missing woman, say police". BBC News. 26 December 2010. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "JSMM's Muzaffar Bhutto found dead after going missing for over a year". Express Tribune. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Bule, Jordan (8 September 2014). "Breaking: TBI says remains found are Holly Bobo". The Jackson Sun.
- "Libya: Confusion at fate of Gaddafi aide Moussa Ibrahim". BBC News. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "WebCite query result". www.webcitation.org. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Remains found of N.C. girl who went missing in 2011, officials say". Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Jones, Cass (10 March 2012). "Gemma McCluskie's brother charged with her murder". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Baden-Clay guilty verdict: We finally have justice for Allison, family says". SBS News. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Missing studio executive search intensifies". KABC-TV. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Missing Fox Exec Gavin Smith Declared Dead by Sheriff's Department". Variety. 1 May 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Gavin Smith: Remains of Missing Fox Executive Found by Hikers in Palmdale". KTLA. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Rocha, Veronica; Winton, Richard (29 January 2015). "Convicted drug dealer charged in murder of Fox exec Gavin Smith". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Skylar Neese Death: Body found in Pennsylvania is missing West Virginia teen, federal officials say". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Tia Sharp: Police concern over missing girl". Bbc.co.uk. 4 August 2012.
- "Tia Sharp search: Body found in grandmother's house". Bbc.co.uk. 10 August 2012.
- Tice, Debra and Marc (13 August 2014). "Austin Tice, two years later". washingtonpost.com. The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Graham Dwyer Trial: Terrified Elaine's texts on the day she went missing". Independent.ie.
- "Graham Dwyer trial: Architect gets life sentence for murder of Elaine O'Hara". BBC News. 20 April 2015.
- Davies, Lizzy; Walker, Peter; Quinn, Ben (2 October 2012). "April Jones: police search for missing five-year-old". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Morris, Steven (30 May 2013). "April Jones murder: how detectives pieced together her final hours". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Journalist, press club founder disappears in Kazakhstan". Committee to Protect Journalists. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- ""Missing" journalist reappears, but freedom of information doesn't | Reporters without borders". RSF (in French). Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "【逆子弒父母】 退休夫婦慘遭逆子謀財害命 – 即時新聞 – 要聞 – 20130315". Apple Daily 蘋果日報. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Son chopped up his parents and put heads in the fridge, Hong Kong court hears". South China Morning Post. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- thearcoiriscb (29 March 2017). "Top 5 Most Popular Murders/Killings in Hong Kong". The Arcoiris. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- Holmes, Rikki Jo (20 September 2016). "Jeffrey Willis charged with murdering Jessica Heeringa". WOOD-TV.
- VanTimmeren, Christine. "Court documents reveal disturbing new information in Jessica Heeringa case". WWMT. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Jeffrey Willis found guilty of kidnapping, murdering Jessica Heeringa The Muskegon Chronicle via MLive.com, May 16, 2018
- Willis claims innocence at Heeringa murder sentence WOOD-TV, June 18, 2018
- "Kevin Bluhm walks free for his role in Jessica Heeringa's murder". MLive.com. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Severein met veel geweld vermoord" (in Dutch). Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Romanian gets 34-years jail sentence for murdering Dutch volleyball player". Romania Insider. 4 November 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Fitzgerald, Matt. "Former D-II National Champion QB Cullen Finnerty's Body Found After 2-Day Search". BleacherReport.com. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- "Search for former quarterback Cullen Finnerty could expand, and Grand Valley State ready to help". mlive.com.
- "Death of David Bird in Long Hill ruled a drowning". Daily Record. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Remains found in Panama are Lisanne Froon's". NL Times. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "One Year Later: More Questions In Case Of Missing Mo. Woman". Archived from the original on 23 June 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- Held, Kevin S. (4 November 2016). "Authorities say skeletal remains belong to missing Ste. Genevieve County woman". KTVI. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Dodd, Vikram; Johnston, Chris; agencies (1 October 2014). "Police searching for missing teenager Alice Gross find body in the river Brent" – via The Guardian.
- Tom Parmenter (20 September 2014). "Alice Gross Police Search Is Largest Since 7/7". Sky News. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Alice Gross disappearance: Search 'largest since 7/7'". BBC News. 20 September 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Medical Examiner Confirms Hannah Graham's Remains Found in Albemarle". Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- O'Connor, Joe (9 November 2014). "RCMP believes Japanese psychiatrist had suicidal plan to disappear into wilderness outside Yellowknife". National Post. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "DNA confirms remains found in 2015 belong to Atsumi Yoshikubo, missing Japanese tourist". CBC. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Parents of boy held in basement charged with torture". USA TODAY. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Detroit boy found in basement says his home was "terrible"". CBS News – cbsnews.com. 28 April 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Body parts found in Becky search". BBC News. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- CNN, Ray Sanchez and David Shortell. "Boston's 'Baby Doe' identified; mother and man face charges – CNN". CNN. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Baby Doe Identified: Police Say Child is 3 Year Old Boston Medical Examiner Report Pending". Inquisitr. 18 September 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "'Baby Doe' identified as Boston girl, 5 Investigates reports". WCBV 5 News. ABC. 18 September 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "'Can't Buy Me Love' Star Amanda Peterson Remembered by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Scott Foley, Lance Bass". TheWrap. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
- Cummings, William (5 July 2015). "'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson dies at 43". usatoday.com. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Enrich Dowd, Kathy (2 September 2015). "Can't Buy Me Love Star Amanda Peterson Died of an Accidental Drug Overdose: Report". people.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "The Untold: Looking for DJ Derek". BBC. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "DJ Derek: Tests confirm remains belong to pensioner". BBC. 16 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "DJ Derek death "not suspicious" according to police". BBC. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Silva, Kristian (14 November 2015). "Tiahleigh Palmer: Crowds gather for 12-year-old's funeral in Logan". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Geoff Chambers (22 September 2016). "Rick Thorburn kept foster care licence". The Weekend Australian. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Petrinec, Melanie (3 November 2017). "Tiahleigh Palmer's foster mother pleads guilty to perjury, attempting to pervert course of justice charges". news.com.au. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Chairman at Chinese broker goes missing". The Independent. 23 November 2015. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "Hong Kong firm says missing chairman Yim Fung back at work". BBC. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Association, Press (2 January 2016). "Fears grow for former EastEnders actor missing with two sons". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- "Life sentence for ex-Easteners' actress Sian Blake killer". BBC News. 5 October 2016. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- CNN, James Griffiths. "HK bookseller's daughter: My father was abducted". CNN. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Helen Bailey death: Partner charged with murdering children's author", BBC News, 16 July 2016. Retrieved 16 July 2016
- Andrews, Travis M. (29 July 2016). "Hidden room, bloody freezer, handcuffs found in student slaying probe". The Gazette. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Missing Swedish billionaire found dead". thelocal.se. 28 August 2016. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Silverman, Ellie (18 September 2017). "His body was decomposing for 8 months in a truck at the airport while his family searched for him". The Washington Post. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- Koulouris, Christopher (29 March 2017). "Photos: Akbar Salubiro Indonesian man eaten alive by python found. – Scallywag and Vagabond". scallywagandvagabond.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Smink, Veronica (8 August 2017). "Quién es Santiago Maldonado, el joven cuya desaparición tiene en vilo a Argentina". BBC Mundo (in Spanish). Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Caso Maldonado: "No hubo lesiones en el cuerpo", dijo el juez tras la autopsia" (in Spanish). Clarín. 21 October 2017. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "TIDSLINJE Få overblik over ubådssagen her". DR.
- "Nordahl Lelandais avoue avoir tué Maëlys". ladepeche.fr.
- "Frightened Rabbit Singer Scott Hutchison Reported Missing". Rolling Stone. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Body confirmed as missing singer". BBC News. 11 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Undocumented immigrant charged with murder of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts". NBC News. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "China accuses former Interpol chief of taking bribes". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Jamal Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabian state television confirms". guardian.com. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Turkey says Jamal Khashoggi 'ferociously murdered' by Saudi Arabian hit squad". USA TODAY. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "Jayme Closs located alive, suspect in custody". KSTP 5. 10 January 2019. Archived from the original on 11 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- Lewis, Anna (26 January 2019). "Inside the search for Emiliano Sala: What happened during three grueling days that ended in vain". WalesOnline. Media Wales. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "Emiliano Sala: Search for footballer and pilot called off". BBC News. 24 January 2019.
- "Sala plane underwater search begins". BBC News. 3 February 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "'One occupant visible' in Emiliano Sala plane wreckage – investigators". Sky News. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- "Emiliano Sala search team recover body from plane wreckage". BBC News. 7 February 2019.
- Mercer, David; Taylor, Rebecca (7 February 2019). "Emiliano Sala search: Body recovered lands in Dorset". Sky News. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "Body recovered from plane which crashed into English Channel confirmed as footballer Emiliano Sala". ITV News. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "Emiliano Sala: Body identified as footballer". BBC. 7 February 2019.
- "Etika: Body found in search is missing YouTuber". BBC News. 25 June 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- Weissmann, Ruth; Eustachewich, Lia (21 June 2019). "YouTube star Etika vanishes after posting cryptic 'suicidal' video". New York Post. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- D'Anastasio, Cecilia (25 June 2019). "Popular YouTuber Etika Dies At 29". Kotaku. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- CNN, Alanne Orjoux. "YouTuber Etika died by suicide, medical examiner says". CNN. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Swiss soccer player Florijana Ismaili missing after swimming accident". New York Post. 30 June 2019.
- "Swiss footballer Floriana Ismaili disappeared while swimming in Como Lake". Oculus News.
- "Florijana Ismaili: Swiss player declared missing after swimming accident". 30 June 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Switzerland player Ismaili confirmed dead in swim accident". USA Today. Associated Press. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Florijana Ismaili: Tributes paid after body of missing Swiss player is found". 3 July 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Swiss national football player died from asphyxia". swissinfo.ch. 5 July 2019.