List of smallest fish
The world's smallest fish depends on the measurement used.
Based on minimum standard length at maturity the main contenders are Paedocypris progenetica where females can reach it at 7.9 mm (0.31 in), the stout infantfish (Schindleria brevipinguis) where females reach it at 7 mm (0.28 in) and males at 6.5 mm (0.26 in), and Photocorynus spiniceps where males can reach it at 6.2 mm (0.24 in), but are attached to the far larger females. If judging smallest based on the species' maximum size (a measurement often used for fish), Paedocypris progenetica, dwarf pygmy goby (Pandaka pygmaea), midget dwarfgoby (Trimmatom nanus) and the stout infantfish (Schindleria brevipinguis) are not known to exceed 11 mm (0.43 in) in standard length, and the two Leptophilypnion sleeper gobies are less than 10 mm (0.39 in). A level of uncertainty about the full size range exists for some of these, as only a few specimens have been measured.
Little or no data is available on weight of most of these, but at less than 1 milligram (0.015 gr) it is likely that the stout infantfish (Schindleria brevipinguis) is the smallest if using this feature.
List of smallest fish in the worldEdit
|Image||Common Name||Species||Family||Standard length of smallest known mature individual||Maximum known standard length|
|Paedocypris progenetica||Cyprinidae||7.9 mm (0.31 in), female||10.3 mm (0.41 in)|
|Leptophilypnion fittkaui||Eleotridae||?||9.5 mm (0.37 in)|
|Leptophilypnion pusillus||Eleotridae||?||9.1 mm (0.36 in)|
|Dwarf pygmy goby||Pandaka pygmaea||Gobiidae||9 mm (0.35 in), male||11 mm (0.43 in)|
|Midget dwarfgoby||Trimmatom nanus||Gobiidae||10 mm (0.39 in)||10 mm (0.39 in)|
|Photocorynus spiniceps||Linophrynidae||6.2 mm (0.24 in), male||50.2 mm (1.98 in), female far larger than male and species not among smallest by maximum standard length|
|Stout infantfish||Schindleria brevipinguis||Gobiidae||6.5 mm (0.26 in), male||10 mm (0.39 in)|
- McGrouther, M. (15 August 2011). "What is the smallest fish?". Australian Museum. Retrieved 24 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Scholastic news online:The World's Smallest Fish? by: Ezra Billinkoff- Retrieved February 3, 2006
- Eyepod.org-Worlds Smallest Fish Discovered in Acidic Swamp.New spineless species...These pages are dedicated to explorer Julie "Brook" Thornton Retrieved January 25
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2017). "Paedocypris progenetica" in FishBase. September 2017 version.
- Theodore W. Pietsch (2005). "Dimorphism, parasitism, and sex revisited: modes of reproduction among deep-sea ceratioid anglerfishes (Teleostei: Lophiiformes)". Ichthyological Research. 52 (3): 207–236. doi:10.1007/s10228-005-0286-2.
- Doughton, Sandi (January 31, 2001). "Catch of the day: Researcher stakes claim to tiny-fish title". The Seattle Times. Archived from the original on 18 May 2008. Retrieved 2 February 2006. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2017). "Pandaka pygmaea" in FishBase. September 2017 version.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2017). "Trimmatom nanus" in FishBase. September 2017 version.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2017). "Schindleria brevipinguis" in FishBase. September 2017 version.
- Roberts, T.R. (2013). Leptophilypnion, a new genus with two new species of tiny central Amazonian gobioid fishes (Teleostei, Eleotridae). aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology, 19 (2): 85-98.
- Scientists Describe the World's Smallest, Lightest Fish Retrieved September 17, 2011