List of schools reclassifying their athletic programs to NCAA Division I
The following is a list of United States colleges and universities that are either in the process of reclassifying their athletic programs to NCAA Division I, or have announced future plans to do the same.
This is limited to schools that have begun the formal Division I reclassification process.
|Institution||Athletics||Previous Division II conference||Current Division I conference||Start Year||Active
|California Baptist University||Lancers||Pacific West Conference||Western Athletic Conference||2018–19||2022–23|||
|University of North Alabama||Lions||Gulf South Conference||Atlantic Sun Conference
Football: FCS independent; Big South Conference in 2019
This is limited to schools that have officially announced plans to reclassify to Division I, but have not yet begun their transitions.
|Institution||Athletics||Current Division II conference||Future Division I conference||Start Year||Active
|Merrimack College||Warriors||Northeast-10 Conference||Northeast Conference||2019–20||2023–24|||
|University of California, San Diego||Tritons||California Collegiate Athletic Association||Big West Conference||2020–21||2024–25|||
|Dixie State University||Trailblazers||Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference||Western Athletic Conference||2020–21||2024–25|||
|C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University||Pioneers||East Coast Conference||Northeast Conference||2019–20||2019–20||The LIU Post athletic program will merge with that of LIU Brooklyn to become a single Long Island University (LIU) athletic program. Teams in sports that Post sponsors but Brooklyn doesn't will be reclassified to Division I. |
Reclassifying to Division IIEdit
This is limited to Division I schools that have announced plans to classify to Division II. Note that the standard transition period for schools moving from NCAA Division I to Division II is two years, as opposed to the four years required for the reverse move.
|Institution||Athletics||Current Division I Conference||Future Division II Conference||Start Year||Active
|Savannah State University||Tigers||Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference||Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||2019–20||2021–22|||
- "Multidivision and Reclassifying for 2014–15" (PDF). NCAA. August 7, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "CBU announces D-1, WAC move" (Press release). California Baptist Lancers. January 13, 2017. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "UNA Accepts ASUN Division I Invitation" (Press release). North Alabama Lions. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- "Merrimack College Accepts Invitation to Join the Northeast Conference" (Press release). Northeast Conference. September 10, 2018. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- "A New Era: UC San Diego to Join Big West Conference" (Press release). University of California, San Diego. November 27, 2017. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- "Dixie State to move up to Division 1,join Western Athletic Conference in 2020-21" (Press release). Deseret News. January 11, 2019. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "LIU Announces Unification Into 'One LIU' Division I Program". LIU Post Athletics. Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- "SSU Announces Move To DII". HBCU Sports. April 18, 2017. Retrieved November 4, 2017.