List of rock formations in Albania
The diverse morphological, climatic and hydrological conditions of Albania favour the formation of a large number of geological features. According to the Ministry of Environment, 25 canyons are part of the national list of natural monuments.. A selected list follows:
Canyons and gorgesEdit
Kanioni i Gjipësë
|The canyon represents a narrow strait, created by the activity of the brook flowing through its narrow pass. There are numerous rock formations along the gorge, including a number of stones arches and caves. |
Kanioni i Grunasit
|The Grunas Canyon is located in a karst region within the Theth National Park in northern Albania. The main attractions are the Gruna falls and Theth river. |
Kanioni i Osumit
|Osum Gorge is situated along the course of the Osum river in southern Albania near the town of Çorovodë. Along the forested gorge are located a number of rock formations, caves and waterfalls.|
Gryka e Skoranës
- "Thesaret e Biodiversitetit" (PDF). mjedisi.gov.al. p. 14.
- "INTEGRATED COASTA ZONE MANAGEMENT AND CLEAN UP PROGRAM" (PDF). siteresources.worldbank.org. p. 1.
In 2002 Albania embarked on an integrated coastal zone management initiative to protect the coastal area for current and future generation and formally adopted the principle recommendations of the Barcelona Convention for Protecting the Mediterranean Sea.
- IUCN, World Wide Fund for Nature, Plantlife. "Important Plant Areas of the south and east Mediterranean region" (PDF). portals.iucn.org. p. 75.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "The mountain village of Theth". thethiguesthouse.com.
In 2002, this waterfall has been declared a natural monument and is under state protection.
- "The Blessing of the Accursed Albanian Mountains". agroweb.org. 13 July 2015.
One of the most exceptional natural beauties in the Albanian Alps is the Grunas waterfalls, which by the Government Decision Nr. 676, dated 20.12.2002 has been declared as a natural monument under state protection.
- "PER SHPALLJEN ZONE E MBROJTUR TE MONUMENTEVE TE NATYRES SHQIPTARE" (PDF). mjedisi.gov.al. p. 11.