The modern Ukrainian presidency was formed when the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic passed a law on 5 July 1991 establishing the office of the "President of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic." Upon the proclamation of Ukrainian independence from the Soviet Union on 24 August 1991, the title was changed to the "President of Ukraine." The first election of the President of Ukraine, which was held on 1 December 1991, was won by Leonid Kravchuk.
All the presidents except for Volodymyr Zelenskyy have been people's deputies of the Verkhovna Rada prior to their election. Kravchuk was the first president to resign from the office, following a power struggle with Prime Minister Leonid Kuchma. After the 2014 Ukrainian revolution, Viktor Yanukovych abandoned his office and fled the country. He was subsequently impeached, and replaced by Oleksandr Turchynov as the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada, who serves as acting president when the office is vacant. Early presidential elections were held on 25 May 2014 and won by Petro Poroshenko; Poroshenko was inaugurated as the fifth president on 7 June 2014. On 18 June 2015, Yanukovych was officially deprived of the title of President of Ukraine. After defeating Poroshenko, the comedian Volodymyr Zelenskyy was inaugurated as the sixth and current president of Ukraine on 20 May 2019.
- Party legend
|Term of office||Cabinets||Elections||Prior office||Political alliance|
|Fokin (1990–92)||—||Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada||Independent|
2 years, 329 days
(Declared independence of Ukraine in 1991. Lost re-election campaign)
|Masol II (1994–95)||1994
||2nd Prime Minister of Ukraine||Independent|
|10 years, 188 days|
|Yanukovych I (2002–04)|
|Tymoshenko I (2005)||2004||7th Prime Minister of Ukraine||Our Ukraine|
|5 years, 66 days||Yekhanurov (2005–06)|
|Yanukovych II (2006–07)|
|Tymoshenko II (2007–10)|
|Azarov I (2010–12)||2010||12th Prime Minister of Ukraine||Party of Regions|
|3 years, 362 days||Azarov II (2012–14)|
|Yatsenyuk I (2014)||—||Chairman of the
|0 years, 115 days
(Temporarily assumed office following the 2014 Ukrainian revolution)
|Yatsenyuk II (2014–2016)||2014||Minister of Trade and Economic Development||Petro Poroshenko Bloc|
|4 years, 347 days||Groysman (2016–2019)|
(no prior elected office)
|Servant of the People|
|3 years, 45 days
Living former presidentsEdit
There are fourformer Ukrainian presidents are still living as of 4 July 2022.
Leonid Kuchma (age 83) (born 1938)
Viktor Yushchenko (age 68) (born 1954)
Viktor Yanukovych (age 71) (born 1950)
Petro Poroshenko (age 56) (born 1965)
|#||President||Date of birth||Origin||Age at ascension
|Time in office
|Age at retirement
|Date of death||Longevity|
|1||Leonid Kravchuk||10 January 1934||Rivne Oblast (born in Wołyń Voivodeship)||57 years, 226 days||2 years, 329 days||60 years, 190 days||10 May 2022||88 years, 175 days|
|2||Leonid Kuchma||9 August 1938||Chernihiv Oblast||55 years, 344 days||10 years, 188 days||66 years, 167 days||Living||83 years, 329 days (Living)|
|3||Viktor Yushchenko||23 February 1954||Sumy Oblast||50 years, 335 days||5 years, 33 days||56 years, 2 days||Living||68 years, 131 days (Living)|
|4||Viktor Yanukovych||9 July 1950||Donetsk Oblast||59 years, 231 days||3 years, 362 days||63 years, 228 days||Living||71 years, 360 days (Living)|
|5||Petro Poroshenko||26 September 1965||Odessa Oblast||48 years, 254 days||4 years, 347 days||53 years, 236 days||Living||56 years, 281 days (Living)|
|6||Volodymyr Zelenskyy||25 January 1978||Dnipropetrovsk Oblast||41 years, 115 days||3 years, 45 days (Ongoing)||Incumbent||Living||44 years, 160 days (Living)|
Social poll rankings of Ukrainian presidentsEdit
|3||Viktor Yushchenko||Our Ukraine||04||04||04||06||05||04||05||05|
|4||Viktor Yanukovych||Party of Regions||05||03||05||05||06||06||06||06|
|5||Petro Poroshenko||Petro Poroshenko Bloc||02||05||01||04||03||05||03||04|
|6||Volodymyr Zelenskyy||Servant of the People||—||—||—||02||01||01||01||01|
a.^ Although Leonid Kravchuk's official inauguration ceremony was conducted on 22 August 1992, he carried out most of the presidential responsibilities temporarily ceded to him as Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada from 24 August 1991 until 5 December 1991 when he became President of Ukraine in his own right. He had served as Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR since 23 July 1990.
b.^ As President of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
c.^ "In the event of the pre-term termination of authority of the President of Ukraine in accordance with Articles 108, 109, 110 and 111 of this Constitution, the execution of duties of the President of Ukraine, for the period pending the elections and the assumption of office of the new President of Ukraine, shall be vested in the Chairperson of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine." —Constitution of Ukraine, Article 112.
- Laws of Ukraine. Vekhovna Rada of Ukraine decree No. 1295-XII: On the President of the Ukrainian SSR (Про Президента Української РСР). Adopted on 5 July 1991. (Ukrainian)
- Published law deprives Yanukovych of presidential rank, UNIAN (17 June 2015)
- "Leonid Kravchuk". Official web-site of President of Ukraine. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Leonid Kuchma". Official web-site of President of Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Laws of Ukraine. Vekhovna Rada of Ukraine decree No. 106/94-ВР: On the date of oath of the President of Ukraine (Про дату принесення присяги Президентом України). Adopted on 14 July 1994. (Ukrainian)
- "Kuchma Leonid Danylovych". Election of President 99 (in Ukrainian). Central Election Commission of Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Laws of Ukraine. Constitutional Court of Ukraine decision No. 22-рп/2003: Decision of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine regarding the case of the constitutional petition of 53 and 47 People's Deputies of Ukraine concerning the official interpretation of the provisions of Article 103 of the Constitution of Ukraine (right on the timing of tenure of the President of Ukraine (Рішення Конституційного Суду України у справі за конституційними поданнями 53 і 47 народних депутатів України про офіційне тлумачення положення частини третьої статті 103 Конституції України (справа щодо строків перебування на посту Президента України)). Adopted on 25 December 2003. (Ukrainian)
- "Victor Yushchenko". Official web-site of President of Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "History of "Our Ukraine"". Informational server "Our Ukraine" (in Ukrainian). Our Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Yushchenko loses re-election bid". The Washington Times. 28 January 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "The History of Presidency". Official web-site of President of Ukraine. Archived from the original on 2 March 2008. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Yanukovych Viktor Fedorovych". Elections of the President of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Central Election Commission of Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Laws of Ukraine. Vekhovna Rada of Ukraine decree No. 757-VII: On withdrawal of the President of Ukraine from the implementation of constitutional powers and calling early presidential elections in Ukraine (Про самоусунення Президента України від виконання конституційних повноважень та призначення позачергових виборів Президента України). Adopted on 22 February 2014. (Ukrainian)
- "Ukraine: Speaker Oleksandr Turchynov named interim president". BBC News. 23 February 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Government of Ukraine". Web-portal of Ukrainian Government. Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Oleksandr Turchynov" (in Ukrainian). Batkivshchyna. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Petro Poroshenko". Official web-site of President of Ukraine. Archived from the original on 9 February 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Ukrainian Parliament Deprives Yanukovych Of Presidential Title, Radio Free Europe (4 February 2015)
- "Президентські рейтинги: кому з п'яти глав держави українці довіряли найбільше". Слово і Діло (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 26 June 2022.
- "Сага об украинских реформах". ZN.ua. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Хто був найкращим президентом на думку українців". Всеукраїнська газета Наголос (in Ukrainian). 22 July 2019. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Українці визначилися з "найкращим президентом" в історії країни - Рейтинг". LIGA (in Russian). 18 May 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Як змінювався рівень довіри та підтримки Зеленського та його попередників (оновлено)". Слово і Діло (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 11 May 2022.
- "Оцінка президентів: найбільше довіряють Зеленському, найкращим вважають Кучму". Українська правда (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 11 May 2022.
- "Історія президентів України в семи актах - Центр спільних дій". Сentreua (in Ukrainian). 1 December 2021. Retrieved 13 May 2022.
- Laws of Ukraine. Vekhovna Rada of Ukraine decree No. 1430-XII: On granting additional powers to the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Про надання додаткових повноважень Голові Верховної Ради України). Adopted on 24 August 1991. (Ukrainian)