List of political parties in Denmark
Denmark has a multi-party system, with two or three major parties complemented by several other significant parties. The government typically consists of a major party in coalition with, or supported by, a number of smaller parties. No party has won an outright majority since 1903. All governments since then have either been one-party minority governments or coalitions between two or more parties.
The Ministry of Social Welfare registers and validates party names and the official party letters for all parties that participate in national elections. On ballots, the parties are sorted alphabetically by party letter.
Parties represented in the Folketing or the European ParliamentEdit
Parties without Folketing or European Parliament representationEdit
|Party letter||Party name||Recent results||Ideology||Leader|
|N||People's Movement against the EU
Folkebevægelsen mod EU
|Did not run||102,101
|Did not run||Hard Euroscepticism
|Did not run||
0 / 2,432
|Did not run||
9 / 2,432
|E||Klaus Riskær Pedersen
Klaus Riskær Pedersen
|Did not run||Did not exist||Populism
|Klaus Riskær Pedersen|
|Did not run||Did not run||
10 / 2,432
|Regionalism||Carsten Leth Schmidt|
- CenterParty (CenterPartiet).
- Communist Party (Denmark) (Kommunistisk Parti)
- Communist Party in Denmark (Kommunistisk Parti i Danmark)
- Communist Party of Denmark (Danmarks Kommunistiske Parti). Last represented by themselves in the 1977-1979 Folketing. Now part of Red-Green Alliance.
- Danish Unity (Dansk Samling)
- Folkeringen. Created 2016.
- Friends of the Schiller Institute (Schiller-Instituttets Venner). Only runs for local elections.
- Independent Party (De Uafhængige). Last represented in the Folketing 1973-1974.
- Justice Party of Denmark (Retsforbundet). Last represented in the 1979-1981 Folketing.
- Lower Taxes and Fees (Lavere Skatter og Afgifter).
- National Party (Nationalpartiet). Created 2014.
- National Socialist Movement of Denmark (Danmarks Nationalsocialistiske Bevægelse). Never represented in either Folketing or European Parliament. Considers itself the heir of the DNSAP which was last represented in the 1943 Folketing.
- Pirate Party (Piratpartiet).
- Progress Party (Fremskridtspartiet). Last represented in the 1998-2001 Folketing.
- Social Balance. Created 2012.
- The Black Register (Det Sorte Register).
- United Democrats (Forenede Demokrater).
- Visions-Partiet. Created 2002.
- (split of Venstre that only existed to contest the 1947 Folketing election in order to exploit a peculiarity of the election law)
- not registered as a party but represented in parliament as a parliamentary group
- represented in the European Parliament
- Last represented in the 1984-1987 Folketing. Now part of Red-Green Alliance.
- The party's former name, "Socialdemokratiet", is still frequently used.