List of photovoltaic power stations
The following is a list of photovoltaic power stations that are larger than 150 megawatts (MW) in current net capacity. Most are individual photovoltaic power stations, but some are groups of co-located plants owned by different independent power producers and with separate transformer connections to the grid. Wiki-Solar reports total global capacity of utility-scale photovoltaic plants to be some 96 GWAC which generated 1.3% of global power by the end of 2016.
The size of photovoltaic power stations has increased progressively over the last decade with frequent new capacity records. The 97 MW Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant went online in 2010. Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park reached 200 MW in 2012. In August 2012, Agua Caliente Solar Project, (Arizona, 290 MW) reached 247 MW only to be passed by three larger plants in 2013. In 2014, two plants were tied as largest: Topaz Solar Farm, a PV solar plant at 550 MWAC in central coast area and a second 550-MW plant, the Desert Sunlight Solar Farm located in the far eastern desert region of California. These two plants were superseded by a new world's largest facility in June 2015 when the 579 MWAC Solar Star project went online in the Antelope Valley region of Los Angeles County, California. In 2016, the largest photovoltaic power station in the world was the 850MW Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, in Gonghe County, Qinghai, China. India currently operates one of the world's largest solar park at 1 GW capacity in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. Additional even larger solar plants, including some over 3000 MW, have been proposed around the world.
World's largest photovoltaic power stationsEdit
Operating solar farms that are 150 MW or larger
|Tengger Desert Solar Park||China||1,547||43||2016||1,547 MW solar power was installed in Zhongwei, Ningxia by 2015.|||
|Datong Solar Power Top Runner Base||China||,||1,000||2016||1 GW Phase I completed in June 2016. Total capacity will be 3 GW in 3 phases.|||
|Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park||India||1,000||24||2017||1000 MW operational as of December 2017|||
|Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850||824||23||2015||320 MW Phase I Completed in December 2013, 530 MW phase II in 2015|||
|Bhadla Solar Park||India||27° 32′ 22.81″ N 71° 54′ 54.91″ E||746||40||2017||The park is proposed to have a capacity of 2,255 MW with 1920 MW auctioned off in four phases till now[when?] and a tender for the remaining 750 MW was floated in June 2017. A total of 2055 MW installed capacity is expected to be completed by December 2018.|||
|Kamuthi Solar Power Project||India||648||10.1||2016||Completed on 21 September 2016|||
|Solar Star (I and II)||United States||579||13||2015||579 MWAC (747.3 MWp) connected to the grid on June 19, 2015. Consists of Solar Star I (318 MWAC or 397.8 MWDC) and Solar Star II: 279 MWAC or 349.5 MWDC|||
|Topaz Solar Farm||United States||550||1,301||24.6||2014||Gradually commissioned since February 2013, reached final capacity 550 MW in November 2014|||
|Copper Mountain Solar Facility||United States||552||2015||Phase 1 completed in December 2010. Phase 2 completed in January 2013. Phase 3 completed in early 2015. Construction of 94 MW phase 4 completed in 2016.|||
|Desert Sunlight Solar Farm||United States||550||1,287||16||2015||Phase I with 300 MW completed in 2013. Construction of phase II to final capacity of 550 MW completed in January 2015|||
|Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||500||23||2014||Phase I completed in October 2011, followed by Phase II and III. 60 MW phase IV under construction. Within a group of 1,000 MW of co-located plants|||
|Mesquite Solar project||United States||400||2013||First phase of 150 MW in January 2013. Up to 700 MW when complete.|||
|Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park||Pakistan||400||1000||26.3||2015||First phase of 100 MW completed in April 2015 and inaugurated in May 2015. Approved to be upgraded to 1,500 MW.|||
|Yanchi Solar Park||China||380||525||2016||First phase of 380 MW completed in June 2016. Up to 2,000 MW when complete.|||
|Charanka Solar Park||India||345||20||2012||Collection of 23 co-located power plants, of which the largest is 51 MW|||
|Springbok Solar Farm||United States||328||12||2016||260MW(AC) Another 90MW proposed|||
|Cestas Solar Farm||France||300||380||2.5||2015||Completed in October 2015|||
|Stateline Solar||United States||300||6.82||2016||Completed as of September 2016.|||
|Nova Olinda Solar Farm||Brazil||292||2017||in Ribeira do Piauí, Piauí|||
|Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290||626||9.71||2014||Project was completed in April 2014|||
|Antelope Valley Solar Ranch||United States||266||525||8.50||2015||Has received government loan guarantee Corresponds to 230 MWAC|||
|Mount Signal Solar||United States||265.7||8.01||2014||Corresponds to 206 MWAC. First phase completed in May 2014. Up to 600 MWAC when complete.|||
|Mandsaur Solar Farm||India||260||2017||in Rajasthan|||
|Ituverava Solar Farm||Brazil||254||2017||in Tabocas do Brejo Velho, Bahia|||
|Silver State South Solar Project||United States||250||11.7||2016||Completed in June 2016.|||
|California Valley Solar Ranch||United States||250||399||7.96||2013||First 130 MW connected February 2013|||
|Moapa Southern Paiute||United States||250||2016|||
|McCoy Solar Energy Project||United States||250||2016|||
|NP Kunta||India||250||2016||in Andhra Pradesh state|||
|El Romero Solar Farm||Chile||246||2016||at Vallenar in the Atacama region|||
|Escalante Solar Project||United States||240||2016||Completed August 2016.|
|Blythe Solar Energy Center||United States||235||2016|||
|Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park||United Arab Emirates||213||2017||1000 MW planned|||
|Garland Solar Facility||United States||200||2016||Completed December 2016.|||
|Cixi solar farm||China||200||3||2017||Completed in January 2017. Mounted atop Changhe and Zhouxiang aquaculture reservoirs|||
|Gonghe Industrial Park Phase I||China||200||2013||Completed in December 2013. Following phases with 550 MW planned.|||
|Gansu Jintai Solar Facility||China||200||2013||in Jin Chang, Gansu Province|||
|Tranquillity Solar project||United States||200||2016||Completed in September 2016, Fresno County, California|||
|Pavagada Solar Park||India||200||53||2017||in Karnataka state, Total capacity 2700 MW|||
|Astoria Solar project||United States||175||2016|||
|Solar Capital De Aar||South Africa||175||2014||De Aar completed August 2014, De Aar 3 completed March 2016|||
|Dichipally Power Plant||India||172||4.5||2017||143 MWAC: ReNew Power and Hareon Solar|||
|Centinela Solar Energy Project||United States||170||8.63||2013||Completed in July 2013|||
|Solarpark Meuro||Germany||168||2||2012||Adjoins Senftenberg Solarpark|||
|Campo Verde Solar Project||United States||161||2013||Corresponds to 139 MWAC. Completed in April 2013|||
|Finis Terrae solar project||Chile||160||2016|||
|Parque Solar Lapa||Brazil||158||2017|||
|Comanche Solar||United States||156||2016||Corresponds to 120 MWAC. Completed in November 2016|||
|Welspun Solar MP project||India||151||3.05||2014||Completed in February 2014|||
|Azure Power solar farm||India||150||2.9||2016||Completed December 2016, in Punjab state|||
|Imperial Solar Energy Center West||United States||150||2016||Completed April 2016|||
|Roserock solar farm||United States||150||2016||Pecos County, Texas|||
|SolarGen 2 Imperial Valley||United States||150||2014|
|Zhongli Tenghui solar farm||China||150||2015||largest farm in Jiayuguan Solar Park a group of co-located power plants which has a total of 589MW|||
|Photovoltaic power plants|
Timeline of the largest PV power stationsEdit
|Year(a)||Name of PV power station||Country||Capacity
|1985||Carrisa Plain||United States||5.6|
|2005||Bavaria Solarpark (Mühlhausen)||Germany||6.3|
|2006||Erlasee Solar Park||Germany||11.4|
|2008||Olmedilla Photovoltaic Park||Spain||60|
|2010||Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant||Canada||97|
|2011||Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||200|
|2012||Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290|
|2014||Topaz Solar Farm(b)||United States||550|
|2015||Solar Star(b)||United States||579|
|2015||Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850|
|2017||Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park||India||900|
|Also see list of noteworthy solar parks
(a) year of final commissioning (b) capacity given in MWAC otherwise in MWDC
Largest PV power stations in each countryEdit
- Community solar farm
- List of solar thermal power stations
- List of energy storage projects
- List of largest power stations in the world
- List of monitored photovoltaic power stations
- List of photovoltaic power stations in planning or under construction
- List of rooftop photovoltaic installations
- List of renewable energy topics by country
- Photovoltaic power station
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Renewable energy industry
- Renewable energy in the European Union
- Solar energy
- Solar power satellite
- Note that nominal power may be AC or DC, depending on the plant, and therefore any totals quoted are hybrid. See AC-DC conundrum: Latest PV power-plant ratings follies put focus on reporting inconsistency (update) Archived 2011-01-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Global installierte Photovoltaik-Kraftwerksleistung nähert sich der 100-Gigawatt-Marke". SolarServer. 2 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "2016年全球公用事业规模太阳能累计装机量接近100GW". Solar.OfWeek. 3 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "DOE Closes on Four Major Solar Projects". Renewable Energy World. 30 September 2011.
- "2013 Top 250 Solar Contractors". Solar Power World.
- Wesoff, Eric (26 June 2015). "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". Greentech Solar. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Market, Capital (2017-12-27). "Government is on its way to achieving 175 GW target for installed Renewable Energy capacity by 2022". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "10 really cool Solar Power installations in (and above) the world". Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "宁夏在腾格里沙漠南缘建成全国最大沙漠光伏集成区 - 今日热点 - 中国储能网". www.escn.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "大同光伏领跑者验收：月均发电量超过1亿度 - OFweek太阳能光伏网". solar.ofweek.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "看山西大同示范基地如何领跑全国光伏行业 - 光伏电站 - 中国储能网". www.escn.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "China's Top Runner Program Improves Mono-si Products' Market Share to 25%_EnergyTrend PV". pv.energytrend.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "The World's Largest Solar Park - Kurnool, India". Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "World's Largest Hydro/PV Hybrid Project Synchronized". China State Power Investment Corporation. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Denis Lenardic. Large-scale photovoltaic power plants ranking 1 - 50 PVresources.com, 2011.
- 李洋. "World's largest solar-hydro power station getting connected to the grid".
- Author. "KW50 - CPI completes massive hybrid solar PV/hydro plant in Western China - SolarServer".
- Jun, Zhang (May 2015). "Joint Development Mode of Hydropower and New Energy" (PDF). Upstream Huanghe Hydropower Development Co., Ltd. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Global hydropower market shows promise for future". ESI-Africa.com. 10 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Country's Biggest Solar Park In Rajasthan, At The Heart Of India's Clean Energy Push". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- "Adani Group launches world's largest solar power plant in Tamil Nadu - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". GreenTechMedia.com. 24 June 2015.
- Solar Star Project, Japan DG Demand Drive SunPower's Q3, Forbes, 10/31/2014
- "Earth Observatory image, using EO-1 ALI data".
- Steve Leone (7 December 2011). "Billionaire Buffett Bets on Solar Energy". Renewable Energy World.
- "California Valley's Topaz Solar Farm now producing electricity". sanluisobispo.
- Energy Information Administration. "Topaz Solar Farm, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- America's Largest PV Power Plant Is Now Live (December 6, 2010), Renewable Energy World
- "Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, Consolidated Edison Development Dedicate Nevada Solar Plant".
- Table 6.3. New Utility Scale Generating Units by Operating Company, Plant, and Month, 2016, Electric Power Monthly, U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 25, 2016
- http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres/4F9704D2-8B5A-4AC8-8D90-89DD640B6139/0/RPS_Project_Status_Table_September.XLS. Missing or empty
- RESOLUTION E-4347 September 2, 2010
- "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "China-PV Power Station". China Central Television. Oct 29, 2011. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved April 2012. Check date values in:
- "Qinghai leads in photovoltaic power". Chinadaily US Edition.
- Wolfe, Philip (29 Oct 2015). "Utility-scale solar tops 50 GW globally..en route to another record year". SeeNews Renewables. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park: Solar energy's 100MW to arrive in April". The Express Tribune. 27 March 2015.
- AEG to Build 450mw Solar Project in Pakistan Archived 2013-04-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Patton, Dominique (25 November 2012). "German solar panel maker Conergy will supply and develop a 50MW project in Pakistan as it expands its sales in Asia". Recharge News. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park adds another 300 MW electricity to national grid, Daily Pakistan, September 14, 2016
- "Ningxia Yanchi Phase I Project of CMIG New Energy Formally Connected to the Grid". China Minsheng Investment Group. 30 June 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Northwest Corner, a Solar Behemoth Arises". Bloomberg. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Gujarat Solar Park#Charanka Solar Park
- "The government aims to boost solar power capacity 30 times in seven years. Is the target realistic?". Hindustan Powerprojects Private Ltd.
- Gujarat Power Corporation Ltd Archived 2014-04-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- India Pushes Ultra-Mega Scheme To Scale Solar PV, Forbes, William Pentland, 9/09/2014
- Baptiste Clarke. "Titanesque ! La centrale photovoltaïque de Cestas, en Gironde". Actu-Environnement.
- Enel Starts Operation of South America`s Two Largest Solar Parks in Brazil, September 18, 2017
- "RPS Project Status Table - February Update".
- "World's Largest Operational Solar PV Project, Agua Caliente, Achieves 250 Megawatts of Grid-Connected Power".
- "First Solar Stops Installation at Agua Caliente Project". Bloomberg.
- World’s Biggest Solar PV Plant a Feather in DOE’s Cap, Pete Danko, greentechmedia, May 2, 2014
- "AV Solar Ranch One". NextLight Renewable Power LLC. 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Project Overview
- Hill, Joshua (22 Feb 2013). "Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One Achieves 100 Megawatt Milestone". Clean Technica. Retrieved Feb 2013. Check date values in:
- GreenTechMedia.com, Herman K. Trabish, Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One: The Solar Power Plant That Could, 5 March 2012
- "List of Power Plants - Silver Ridge Power".
- "Abengoa :: Press Room :: News :: News Archive :: 2014 :: May".
- > [http://www.ntpc.co.in/en/power-generation/renewable-energy-and-distributed-generation Renewable Energy & Distributed Generation, NTPC, accessed September 20, 2017
- Nearly Half Of 250 MW Of Mandsaur Project In Madhya Pradesh Now Online, Taiyang News, 07 June 2017
- Enel Starts Operation of South America`s Two Largest Solar Parks in Brazil, September 18, 2017
- "E-4229 Redacted Final Resolution (PG&E requests approval of a renewable energy procurement contract with High Plains Ranch II, LLC. The contract concerns a new solar photovoltaic project)".
- U.S. Solar Market Trends 2013, IREC, July 2014
- Meza, Edgar (27 June 2013). "NRG Energy completes 250 MW California Valley Solar Ranch". Solar Energy Industry Association. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "130MW energized". California Valley Solar Ranch. Retrieved Feb 2013. Check date values in:
- NextEra Energy Resources Commissions Blythe and McCoy Solar Energy Centers in California, November 14, 2016
- NTPC commissioned 50 MW of NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar Power Project Stage-I in Anantapuramu, India Infoline News Service, August 01, 2016
- Chile connects Latin America's largest solar plant to the national grid, MercoPress, November 14th 2016
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum solar park second phase now operational, The National (AE), LeAnne Graves, March 20, 2017
- 200 MW Garland Solar Facility Goes Online, Solar Industry, Joseph Bebon, December 14, 2016
- China completes 200 MW solar facility on top of fish farm, Reneweconomy, Brian Publicover, 24 January 2017
- 200MW Gonghe PV Station of Huanghe Company Synchronized Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine., China Power Investment Corporation, Dec 16,2013
- JinkoSolar Partners with Jinchuan Group to Complete and Connect the First Phase of China’s Largest 200 MW PV Plant, Jinko Solar
- 200 MW Tranquillity Solar Project Goes Online In California, SolarIndustry, Joseph Bebon, September 26, 2016
- "Fortum Commissions 100 MW of Solar Project in Pavagada Solar Park". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "TPREL Commissions 100 MW Solar Project at Pavagada Solar Park". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Second phase of 175MW PV project completed in South Africa, pv-tech, Ben Willis, March 17, 2016
- De Aar Project 1 Archived 2016-04-10 at the Wayback Machine., Solar Capital, accessed March 23, 2016
- "172-MW Dichipally Plant". hareoninternational.com. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "E-4388 (Redacted Final Res.)-SDG&E requests approval of two renewable power purchase agreements with Centinela Solar Energy, LLC".
- "First Solar Sells 139-Megawatt Campo Verde Solar Project". Archived from the original on 2013-09-01.
- Saurabh Mahapatra (2016-06-01). "Enel Commissions Its Largest Solar PV Project In Chile". CleanTechnica.
- "ENEL starts operation in Parque Solar Lapa in Brasil".
- "Largest Solar Project in Colorado Begins Commercial Operations".
- Staff Reporter. "India's largest solar plant in MP, Modi calls it 'saffron revolution'". The Hindu.
- "India's largest solar plant in MP, Modi calls it 'saffron revolution'". The Hindu. India. 2014-02-26.
- "Welcome to Welspun Energy Limited". Archived from the original on 2014-12-26.
- Azure Power Commissions Largest Solar Power Project (150MW) in North India, Business Wire India, January 4, 2017
- FERC records 957 MW in new wind, solar power installed in November, Electric Light and Power, January 12, 2017
- (in French) Le Burkina Faso lance la plus grande centrale solaire d’Afrique de l’Ouest
- Sunport Delfzijl Largest solar park in The Netherlands opens, pvtech, John Parnell January 20, 2017
- Foresight Solar Fund snaps up 72-MWp solar park, UK's largest, RenewablesNow, February 3, 2017
- Clean Tech Nation: How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy (2012) by Ron Pernick and Clint Wilder
- Deploying Renewables 2011 (2011) by the International Energy Agency
- Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era (2011) by Amory Lovins
- Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation (2011) by the IPCC
- Solar Energy Perspectives (2011) by the International Energy Agency