List of photovoltaic power stations
The following is a list of photovoltaic power stations that are larger than 200 megawatts (MW) in current net capacity. Most are individual photovoltaic power stations, but some are groups of co-located plants owned by different independent power producers and with separate transformer connections to the grid. Wiki-Solar reports total global capacity of utility-scale photovoltaic plants to be some 96 GWAC which generated 1.3% of global power by the end of 2016.
The size of photovoltaic power stations has increased progressively over the last decade with frequent new capacity records. The 97 MW Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant went online in 2010. Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park reached 200 MW in 2012. In August 2012, Agua Caliente Solar Project in Arizona reached 247 MW only to be passed by three larger plants in 2013. In 2014, two plants were tied as largest: Topaz Solar Farm, a PV solar plant at 550 MWAC in central coast area and a second 550-MW plant, the Desert Sunlight Solar Farm located in the far eastern desert region of California. These two plants were superseded by a new world's largest facility in June 2015 when the 579 MWAC Solar Star project went online in the Antelope Valley region of Los Angeles County, California. In 2016, the largest photovoltaic power station in the world was the 850 MW Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, in Gonghe County, Qinghai, China.
Additional larger solar plants, including one over 200,000 MW, have been proposed around the world. As with other forms of power generation, significant challenges exist with regard to regional habitat modification, such as that resulting from the heat island effect, and the resulting stress to local threatened species. Several planned large facilities in the U.S. state of California have been downsized due in part to such concerns.
World's largest photovoltaic power stationsEdit
The following is a list of operating solar farms that are 200 MW or larger.
MWp or MWAC (*)
|Tengger Desert Solar Park||China||1,547||43||2016||1,547 MW solar power was installed in Zhongwei, Ningxia by 2015.|||
|Bhadla Solar Park||India||1,365||40||2018||The park is proposed to have a capacity of 2,255 MW to be completed by December 2018.|||
|Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park||India||1,000||24||2017||1000 MW operational as of December 2017|||
|Datong Solar Power Top Runner Base||China||,||1,000||2016||1 GW Phase I completed in June 2016. Total capacity will be 3 GW in 3 phases.|||
|Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850||23||2015||320 MW Phase I Completed in December 2013, 530 MW phase II in 2015|||
|Villanueva Solar Park||Mexico||828||24||2018||828 MW when completed, expected completion in second half of 2018|||
|Rewa Ultra Mega Solar||India||750||2018|||
|Kamuthi Solar Power Project||India||648||10.1||2016||Completed on 21 September 2016|||
|Gujarat Solar Park 1||India||615||20||2012||Situated at Charanka village in Patan district of Gujarat. Capacity expected to go upto 790 MW in 2019.|||
|Pavagada Solar Park||India||600||53||2017||In Karnataka state, total planned capacity 2,000 MW|||
(I and II)
|United States||579*||1,664||13||2015||Largest in California and US. 579 MWAC (747.3 MWp) connected to the grid on June 19, 2015.|||
|Copper Mountain Solar Facility||United States||552*||1,291||16.2||2016||Largest in Nevada at 552 MWAC. Proposed Fifth Unit to add 250MW.|||
|Desert Sunlight Solar Farm||United States||550*||1,287||16||2015||Phase I of 300 MWAC completed 2013. Phase II to final capacity completed January 2015.|||
|Topaz Solar Farm||United States||550*||1,268||19||2014||Gradually commissioned since February 2013. Reached final capacity November 2014.|||
|Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||500||23||2014||Phase I completed in October 2011, followed by Phase II and III. 60 MW phase IV under construction. Within a group of 1,000 MW of co-located plants|||
|NP Kunta||India||500||2018||In Nambulapulakunta Mandal of Andhra Pradesh state. Total planned capacity 1500 MW|||
|Mount Signal Solar||United States||460*||1,197||15.9||2018||Phase 1 of 206 MWAC in May 2014. Phase 3 of 254 MWAC in July 2018. Phase 2 of 154 MWAC projected in 2020. Up to 600 MWAC when complete.|||
|Mesquite Solar project||United States||400*||1,140||9.3||2016||Largest in Arizona. Up to 700 MWAC when complete.|||
|Pirapora Solar project||Brazil||400||2018||Three phases (191.5 MW, 115 MW, 92.5 MW)|||
|Yanchi Solar Park||China||380||525||2016||First phase of 380 MW completed in June 2016. Up to 2,000 MW when complete.|||
|Cestas Solar Park||France||300||380||2.5||2015||Completed in October 2015|||
|Techren Solar Project||United States||300*||9.3||2019||100MW Phase 1 and 200MW Phase 2. Expected completion in 2019. Up to 400MW when complete.|||
|Nova Olinda Solar Farm||Brazil||292||2017||in Ribeira do Piauí, Piauí|||
|Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290*||740||9.7||2014||290MWAC project was completed in April 2014|||
|California Flats Solar Project||United States||280*||11.7||2017||130 MWAC completed November 2017. Full capacity year-end 2018.|
|Springbok Solar Farm||United States||260*||717||5.7||2016||260MW(AC) completed. Another 90MW proposed|||
|Don José Solar Farm||Mexico||260||2018||Completed May 2018|||
|Ituverava Solar Farm||Brazil||254||2017||in Tabocas do Brejo Velho, Bahia|||
|Mandsaur Solar Farm||India||250||2017||in Madhya Pradesh|||
|McCoy Solar Energy Project||United States||250*||745||9.3||2016||First 250 MW commissioned June 2016. Two more 250MW phases proposed.|||
|Silver State South Solar Project||United States||250*||711||11.7||2016||Commissioned December 2016|||
|California Valley Solar Ranch||United States||250*||675||7.96||2013||Completed October 2013|||
|Stateline Solar||United States||250*||658||6.82||2016||Completed September 2016.|||
|Moapa Southern Paiute||United States||250*||629||8.1||2016||First station on north american tribal lands. Commissioned March 2017.|||
|El Romero Solar Farm||Chile||246||2016||at Vallenar in the Atacama region|||
|Nikopol Solar Park||Ukraine||246||2019||Operating since February 16, 2019|||
|Escalante Solar Project||United States||240*||624||7.7||2016||Largest in Utah.|||
|Blythe Solar Energy Center||United States||235*||622||8.1||2016||Phase 1 of 110 MWAC in Apr 2016. Phase 2 of 125 MWAC in Oct 2016. Up to 485MW when complete|||
|Setouchi Kirei Solar Power Plant||Japan||235||2018||Completed November 2018|||
|Antelope Valley Solar Ranch||United States||230*||614||8.5||2015||Largest in Los Angeles County, CA|||
|Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park||United Arab Emirates||213||2017||1000 MW planned|||
|Cixi solar farm||China||200||3||2017||Completed in January 2017. Mounted atop Changhe and Zhouxiang aquaculture reservoirs|||
|GA Solar 4 Project||United States||200*||8.1||2019||Largest in Georgia and eastern US. Expected completion December 2019. 261MWdc/200MWac.|||
|Gansu Jintai Solar Facility||China||200||2013||in Jin Chang, Gansu Province|||
|Garland Solar Facility||United States||200*||547||8.1||2016||272MWdc/200MWac. Kern County, CA|||
|Gonghe Industrial Park Phase I||China||200||2013||Completed in December 2013. Following phases with 550 MW planned.|||
|Great Valley Solar||United States||200*||6.5||2018||281MWdc/200MWac. Fresno County, CA|||
|Tranquillity Solar project||United States||200*||455||7.7||2016||258MWdc/200MWac. Fresno County, CA|||
|Midway Solar||United States||236||6.1||2019||236MWdc/178MWac. Pecos County, TX|||
|Upton Solar 2||United States||235||7.7||2017||235MWdc/180MWac with 42MWh storage. Upton County, TX|||
|Roserock Solar||United States||212||396||5.3||2016||212MWdc/157MWac. Pecos County, TX|||
|Buckthorn Solar 1||United States||202||5.1||2018||202MWdc/154MWac. Pecos County, TX|||
|Ananthapuramu - II||India||200||17.0||2019||Near Tadipatri town in Anantapur district. Planned capacity 500 MW|||
Timeline of the largest PV power stationsEdit
|Year(a)||Name of PV power station||Country||Capacity|
|1985||Carrisa Plain||United States||5.6|
|2005||Bavaria Solarpark (Mühlhausen)||Germany||6.3|
|2006||Erlasee Solar Park||Germany||11.4|
|2008||Olmedilla Photovoltaic Park||Spain||60|
|2010||Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant||Canada||97|
|2011||Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||200|
|2012||Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290|
|2014||Topaz Solar Farm(b)||United States||550|
|2015||Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850|
|2016||Tengger Desert Solar Park||China||1547|
|Also see list of photovoltaic power stations and list of noteworthy solar parks|
(a) year of final commissioning (b) capacity given in MWAC otherwise in MWDC
Largest PV power stations in each countryEdit
- Community solar farm
- List of solar thermal power stations
- List of energy storage projects
- List of largest power stations in the world
- List of monitored photovoltaic power stations
- List of rooftop photovoltaic installations
- List of renewable energy topics by country
- Photovoltaic power station
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Renewable energy industry
- Renewable energy in the European Union
- Solar energy
- Solar power satellite
- Note that nominal power may be AC or DC, depending on the plant, and therefore any totals quoted are hybrid. See AC-DC conundrum: Latest PV power-plant ratings follies put focus on reporting inconsistency (update) Archived 2011-01-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Global installierte Photovoltaik-Kraftwerksleistung nähert sich der 100-Gigawatt-Marke". SolarServer. 2 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "2016年全球公用事业规模太阳能累计装机量接近100GW". Solar.OfWeek. 3 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "DOE Closes on Four Major Solar Projects". Renewable Energy World. 30 September 2011.
- "2013 Top 250 Solar Contractors". Solar Power World.
- Wesoff, Eric (26 June 2015). "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". Greentech Solar. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Saudis, SoftBank Plan World's Largest Solar Project, Bloomberg, Vivian Nereim and Stephen Cunningham, March 28, 2018
- Barron-Gafford, Greg; Brooks, Adria E.; Cronin, Alex D.; Minor, Rebecca L.; Pavao-Zuckerman, Mitchell, "The Photovoltaic Heat Island Effect: Larger solar power plants increase local temperatures," Scientific Reports, 6, Article Number:35070, November 2016. doi:10.1038/srep35070
- Nellis, Stephen (November 8, 2010). "Bright, but not as big: Solar projects could be downsized to protect wildlife". Pacific Coast Business Times.
- Rogers, Paul (July 21, 2017). "Giant California solar project cut back after environmentalists oppose it". San Jose Mercury News.
- "10 really cool Solar Power installations in (and above) the world". Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "宁夏在腾格里沙漠南缘建成全国最大沙漠光伏集成区 - 今日热点 - 中国储能网". www.escn.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "SECI tenders another 750MW at record-luring Bhadla Solar Park". PV Tech. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- "Country's Biggest Solar Park In Rajasthan, At The Heart Of India's Clean Energy Push". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- Solar plants of 620 MW get operational at Bhadla park, The Times of India, October 2, 2018
- "The World's Largest Solar Park - Kurnool, India". Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "大同光伏领跑者验收：月均发电量超过1亿度 - OFweek太阳能光伏网". solar.ofweek.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "看山西大同示范基地如何领跑全国光伏行业 - 光伏电站 - 中国储能网". www.escn.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "China's Top Runner Program Improves Mono-si Products' Market Share to 25%_EnergyTrend PV". pv.energytrend.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- Denis Lenardic. Large-scale photovoltaic power plants ranking 1 - 50 PVresources.com, 2011.
- 李洋. "World's largest solar-hydro power station getting connected to the grid".
- Author. "KW50 - CPI completes massive hybrid solar PV/hydro plant in Western China - SolarServer".
- Jun, Zhang (May 2015). "Joint Development Mode of Hydropower and New Energy" (PDF). Upstream Huanghe Hydropower Development Co., Ltd. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Global hydropower market shows promise for future". ESI-Africa.com. 10 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Enel completes largest solar project in Mexico, connects 1,089MW to the grid". PV Tech. Retrieved 2018-09-30.
- 750MW Madhya Pradesh solar plant starts operations, to serve Delhi Metro, The New Indian Express, 6 July 2018
- "Adani Group launches world's largest solar power plant in Tamil Nadu - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Gujarat riding on the suns chariot". Times of India. 2 December 2018. Retrieved Jan 25, 2019.</refArchived 2014-04-15 at the Wayback Machine
- India Pushes Ultra-Mega Scheme To Scale Solar PV, Forbes, William Pentland, 9/09/2014
- "600 MW of Solar Projects Synchronized to the Grid at Karnataka's Pavagada Park". Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Reporter, Staff (2 March 2018). "Pavagada solar park inaugurated". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". GreenTechMedia.com. 24 June 2015.
- Solar Star Project, Japan DG Demand Drive SunPower's Q3, Forbes, 10/31/2014
- America's Largest PV Power Plant Is Now Live (December 6, 2010), Renewable Energy World
- "Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, Consolidated Edison Development Dedicate Nevada Solar Plant".
- Table 6.3. New Utility Scale Generating Units by Operating Company, Plant, and Month, 2016, Electric Power Monthly, U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 25, 2016
- "Nevada Utility Is Putting $2 Billion into Solar Power and Storage". June 1, 2018.
- RESOLUTION E-4347 September 2, 2010
- "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "BHE renewables/Topaz Solar".
- Steve Leone (7 December 2011). "Billionaire Buffett Bets on Solar Energy". Renewable Energy World.
- "California Valley's Topaz Solar Farm now producing electricity". sanluisobispo.
- Energy Information Administration. "Topaz Solar Farm, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "China-PV Power Station". China Central Television. Oct 29, 2011. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved April 2012. Check date values in:
- "Qinghai leads in photovoltaic power". Chinadaily US Edition.
- Wolfe, Philip (29 Oct 2015). "Utility-scale solar tops 50 GW globally..en route to another record year". SeeNews Renewables. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- NTPC commissioned 50 MW of NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar Power Project Stage-I in Anantapuramu, India Infoline News Service, August 01, 2016
- "Solar Projects Totaling 127 MW Commissioned This Week". Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "Tata Power commissions 100 MW solar power capacity in AP". Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "List of Power Plants - Silver Ridge Power".
- "Abengoa :: Press Room :: News :: News Archive :: 2014 :: May".
- 8minutenergy Turns On Phases 1 & 2 Of 328 Megawatt Mount Signal 3 Solar Farm, CleanTechnica, Joshua S Hill, July 12, 2018
- 8minutenergy and Capital Dynamics complete 328-MW Mount Signal 3 Solar Farm, Solar Power World, Kelsey Misbrener | December 7, 2018
- Huge solar plant aims for brighter Brazil energy output, AFP, November 12, 2017
- "Ningxia Yanchi Phase I Project of CMIG New Energy Formally Connected to the Grid". China Minsheng Investment Group. 30 June 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Northwest Corner, a Solar Behemoth Arises". Bloomberg. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Baptiste Clarke. "Titanesque ! La centrale photovoltaïque de Cestas, en Gironde". Actu-Environnement.
- Techren Solar, 174 Power Global
- Enel Starts Operation of South America`s Two Largest Solar Parks in Brazil, September 18, 2017
- "RPS Project Status Table - February Update".
- "World's Largest Operational Solar PV Project, Agua Caliente, Achieves 250 Megawatts of Grid-Connected Power".
- "First Solar Stops Installation at Agua Caliente Project". Bloomberg.
- World’s Biggest Solar PV Plant a Feather in DOE’s Cap, Pete Danko, greentechmedia, May 2, 2014
- CA Flats Project Overview
- White, Randol (28 July 2015). "California Flats Solar Project to meet new wildlife guidelines". KCBX News. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- GreenTechMedia.com, Eric Wesoff, Apple Signs $848M Commercial Solar Deal With First Solar, 10 Feb 2015
- Enel switches on 238 MW solar park in Mexico, pv-magazine, Jorge Zarco, May 28, 2018
- Enel to expand its Mexican mega-projects by 96 MW, pv-magazine, Pilar Sánchez Molina, May 11, 2018
- "NTPC's Rs 1,500 crore solar power plant inaugurated by MP Chief Minister". Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- NextEra Energy Resources Commissions Blythe and McCoy Solar Energy Centers in California, November 14, 2016
- World's largest solar plant opens in Riverside County, The Desert Sun, February 10, 2015
- "E-4229 Redacted Final Resolution (PG&E requests approval of a renewable energy procurement contract with High Plains Ranch II, LLC. The contract concerns a new solar photovoltaic project)".
- U.S. Solar Market Trends 2013, IREC, July 2014
- Meza, Edgar (27 June 2013). "NRG Energy completes 250 MW California Valley Solar Ranch". Solar Energy Industry Association. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Heller, Cortez Masto join in commissioning Moapa solar project". lasvegassun.com. Las Vegas Sun. March 17, 2017. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Chile connects Latin America's largest solar plant to the national grid, MercoPress, November 14th 2016
- "На Січеславщині ввели в експлуатацію одну з найбільших СЕС в Європі". uprom.info. National Industrial Portal. 2019-02-18. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- PacifiCorp approved for 320 MW of new solar in Utah
- California Energy Commission-Blythe Project Timeline
- Japan's Kuni Umi, partners complete 235-MW PV plant in Okayama, Renewable Now, November 13, 2018
- "AV Solar Ranch One". NextLight Renewable Power LLC. 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Project Overview
- Hill, Joshua (22 Feb 2013). "Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One Achieves 100 Megawatt Milestone". Clean Technica. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- GreenTechMedia.com, Herman K. Trabish, Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One: The Solar Power Plant That Could, 5 March 2012
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum solar park second phase now operational, The National (AE), LeAnne Graves, March 20, 2017
- China completes 200 MW solar facility on top of fish farm, Reneweconomy, Brian Publicover, 24 January 2017
- Origis Energy Acquires 200MWAC GA Solar 4 Project from First Solar, Business Wire, October 24, 2018
- Origis, First Solar begin construction on largest PV project in Georgia, PV-Tech, Connor Ryan, November 13, 2018
- GA Solar - Twiggs County Solar Project, Origis Energy
- JinkoSolar Partners with Jinchuan Group to Complete and Connect the First Phase of China’s Largest 200 MW PV Plant, Jinko Solar
- 200 MW Garland Solar Facility Goes Online, Solar Industry, Joseph Bebon, December 14, 2016
- Garland Solar recurrentenergy.com, 2016
- 200MW Gonghe PV Station of Huanghe Company Synchronized Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine, China Power Investment Corporation, Dec 20,2013
- Great Valley Solar recurrentenergy.com, 2018
- Great Valley Solar semprarenewables.com, 2018
- 200 MW Tranquillity Solar Project Goes Online In California, SolarIndustry, Joseph Bebon, September 26, 2016
- Tranquillity Solar recurrentenergy.com, 2016
- Midway Solar, 174 Power Global, 2018
- McCamey, Texas largest solar project is a marriage made under the sun, Midland Reporter-Telegram, January 21, 2018
- Upton Solar, Vistra Energy, 2018
- Upton Solar Battery, Solar Power World, January 3, 2019
- Roserock Solar recurrentenergy.com, 2016
- Georgetown’s energy 100 percent renewable with solar plant, georgetown.org, June, 2018
- "Solar plant commissioned". Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Ananthapuramu -II ultra mega solar park 500 MW - Land details". Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- Register of Bulgarian green power plants
- (in French) Le Burkina Faso lance la plus grande centrale solaire d’Afrique de l’Ouest
- European investors launch Central Asia’s largest solar plant in Kazakhstan, January 24, 2019
- ROUND-UP: Malaysia’s largest completed, EBRD supports Jordan transmission, Canada solar EV charging
- B2Gold opens 7 MW solar farm at Namibia mine, May 30, 2018
- Foresight Solar Fund snaps up 72-MWp solar park, UK's largest, RenewablesNow, February 3, 2017
- Uganda’s US $25m Kabulasoke solar power park complete, Jan 15, 2019
- Clean Tech Nation: How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy (2012) by Ron Pernick and Clint Wilder
- Deploying Renewables 2011 (2011) by the International Energy Agency
- Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era (2011) by Amory Lovins
- Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation (2011) by the IPCC
- Solar Energy Perspectives (2011) by the International Energy Agency