List of marathon races in North America
The inclusion or exclusion of items from this list or length of this list is disputed.June 2017)(
The following is a list of marathon races in North America.
|Bold||Bold faced races are included in the World Marathon Majors|
|Gold IAAF Label|
|Silver IAAF Label|
|Bronze IAAF Label|
The criteria for whether a marathon receives an IAAF Label designation are based on six general issues: race organisation, course timing and measurement, media services, quality of international field of runners, health and safety, and athlete equality.
- The race must be organised in accordance with IAAF Competition Rules, the standards of the national athletics body, and must comply with all relevant local and national laws. The race must be organised in a way that minimizes ecological damage to the surrounding areas.
- All courses must have been measured to AIMS standards and full electronic timing must be in place to provide split timing and final results.
- The event must be broadcast live on television within the country, or delivered to a good standard through online streaming. Gold Label races must be broadcast in a minimum of five countries, while Silver Label races must have live coverage available on a national broadcaster. A centre must be specifically provided for media personnel, and TV monitors and commentary facilities must be present for Gold Label races. The race organisers must have a dedicated website with published results and must hold press conferences to support the event.
- A minimum of five nationalities must be represented among the "elite" runners. At least five male and five female elite athletes must be competing in each race. "Elite" athletes are defined as those whose personal best within the 3-year period preceding the respective event has reached a standard set by the IAAF and published on the IAAF website.
- All traffic must be closed off from the race course at all times during the competition. There must be adequate medical provision for the number of runners at the race. A number of doping tests must also be carried out after each race.
- All prize money and bonuses offered should be equal, irrespective of the athlete's nationality or gender. However, race organisers are allowed to offer additional bonuses to competitors from the host country in order to boost local participation.
A maximum of 30 marathons may receive Gold Label status. The label statuses are granted on a yearly basis and organisers must apply for renewal each year.
- IAAF Road Race Labels 2014 Regulations. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-07-01.
- "Akron Marathon Event information". calendarofmarathons.com. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Atlanta 10 Miler Poised for Growth". Atlanta Track Club. May 1, 2014. Archived from the original on May 4, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "Avenue of the Giants Marathon Winners". www.arrs.run. 2010-05-12. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- "20th Annual BayState Marathon Overall Marathon Results". www.coolrunning.com. 2008-10-19. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- Blue Nose Marathon draws thousands to Halifax
- "Buffalo Marathon". Buffalo Marathon. 2002-05-26. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Record Breaking Day at Calgary Marathon
- "BAD TO THE BONE :: Endurance Sports - Home". Charlottesvillemarathon.com. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Race History". Bank of America. 2009. Archived from the original on 2012-07-24. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Five Points of Life". Five Points of Life. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Sydney Runner Finishes 4th at Fredericton Marathon
- BreakawayConsulting.net. "Bend Oregon|Cycling, Triathlon, Running and Pilates". Freshairsports.com. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Honolulu Marathon 2009 | Powered by EventsOnline.ca". Honolulumarathon.com. 2009-12-13. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Hyannis Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K & Marathon Team Relay". Hyannismarathon.com. 2010-02-28. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "15th Annual Indianapolis Marathon and Half Marathon". Indianapolismarathon.com. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- MacLennan Breaks Johnny Miles Record
- Race officials recognise the 1978-87 Island Marathon on the Isle of Palms as part of this event's history; race moved to Kiawah Island (50 km southwest of Isle of Palms) following sponsorship in 1988.
- Legs For Literacy In The News
- "FLEET FEET Sports - Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon". Fleetfeetstlouis.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Manitoba Marathon Runners Cross Finish Line
- Marathon by the Sea a Success
- "Mississauga Marathon Exceeds Expectations". www.marathonguide.com. 2005-05-15. Retrieved 2011-03-22.
- Kenyan Born Runner Wins Record Setting Montreal Marathon
- Not held in 2010 because of snow and ice conditions.
- "napavalleymarathon.com". napavalleymarathon.com. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Nunavut town to stage midnight sun marathon", The Globe & Mail, June 18, 2003, retrieved March 11, 2009
- "Tremblay takes Okanagan International Marathon". www.marathonguide.com. 14 October 2007.
- "OC Marathon". ocmarathon.com. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- Kenyan Runner Sets Ottawa Marathon Record
- Prince Edward Island Marathon bigger than ever
- Ontario man dies at Quebec City Marathon
- Queen City Marathon runners show their sole
- Adam Campbell breaks world record for running a marathon in a suit
- Lundy wins third straight Saskatchewan Marathon
- Drew Nicholson wins inaugural Surrey Marathon
- Ontario Teacher wins Toronto Marathon for second straight year
- Canada qualifies two marathoners for London Olympics at Toronto Waterfront Marathon
- Vancouver Marathon officially largest in Canada
- "Victoria Marathon Media Release 2012" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- VIDEOS, PHOTOS: Inaugural Walkway Marathon filled with local winners (Poughkeepsie Journal)
- "Yonkers Marathon Winners". www.arrs.run. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2010-12-29.