List of leading Thoroughbred racehorses
The list of leading Thoroughbred racehorses contains the names of undefeated racehorses and other horses that had an outstanding race record in specific categories. Note though that many champions do not appear on the list as an unexpected defeat may be caused by many factors such as injury, illness, going, racing tactics and differences in weight carried, the latter being particularly significant in North America and Australia where handicaps are common even at the highest level of racing.
It is common to compare racehorses on multiple factors such as their overall race record, the quality of the horses they beat and the brilliance of their wins. Comparison of raw times is generally unreliable between horses of different eras or even over different racecourses due to a variety of factors such as the racing surface and the pace at which the race is run. Timeform ratings, introduced in 1948, and Beyer Speed Figures, introduced in the United States in 1992, are relatively recent attempts to compensate for such variables. Thoroughbred Winning Brew holds the Guinness world record for the fastest speed from the starting gate for a Thoroughbred racehorse, at 77.6 km/h (43.97 mph) over two furlongs, although Quarter Horses attain higher speeds over shorter distances than Thoroughbreds. Such speeds may also be achieved by elite racehorses during the stretch drive.
The two main forms of Thoroughbred horseracing are flat racing and hurdle or steeplechase (jumping) races over obstacles. Jumpers tend to be older than their flat racing counterparts and can have much longer careers, making it possible to earn a large number of wins. For example, champion hurdler Hurricane Fly won a then-record 22 Grade One races over his ten-year career.
Most race horses and race winners are male horses (either intact males or geldings). While male and female horses do not exhibit sexual dimorphism as obviously as human athletes, male horses are considered more aggressive racers and generally have a significant competitive advantage. At the highest level of racing though, intact males have great economic value at stud, so they are often retired after only a few years of racing. In part because they may have longer racing careers, some of the most winning racehorses of all time are females, including Kincsem, Black Caviar, Winx and Zenyatta.
||Pedigree and notes|
|54||Kincsem||Hungary||ch m||1874||Cambuscan (GB) x Water Nymph by Cotswold|
|25||Black Caviar||Australia||br m||2006||Bel Esprit x Helsinge by Desert Sun (GB)|
|19||Peppers Pride||United States||B.f.||2003||Desert God x Lady Pepper by Chili Pepper Pie|
|18||Eclipse||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1764||Marske x Spilletta by Regulus|
|18||Karayel||Turkey||B.h.||1970||Prince Tudor (GB) x Linda (TUR) by Cihangir (GB). Triple Crown winner.|
|16||Ormonde||Great Britain||B.c.||1883||Bend Or x Lily Agnes by Macaroni. Triple Crown winner.|
|16||Prestige||France||b c||1903||Le Pompon x Orgueilleuse by Révérand|
|16||Ribot||Great Britain||B.c.||1952||Tenerani (ITY) x Romanella (ITY) by El Greco|
|15||Colin||United States||Br.c.||1905||Commando x Pastorella (GB) by Springfield|
|15||Macon||Argentina||B.c.||1922||Sandal (GB) x Bourgogne by Your Majesty|
|14||Frankel||Great Britain||B.c.||2008||Galileo x Kind by Danehill|
|14||Highflyer||Great Britain||B.c.||1774||Herod x Rachel by Blank|
|14||Nearco||Italy||Br.c.||1935||Pharos (GB) x Nogara by Havresac II (FR)|
|13||Barcaldine||Great Britain||B.c.||1878||Solon x Ballyroe by Belladrum|
|13||Personal Ensign||United States||B.f.||1984||Private Account x Grecian Banner by Hoist The Flag|
|13||Tremont||United States||B.c.||1884||Virgil x Ann Fief by Alarm|
|12||Asteroid||United States||B.c.||1861||Lexington x Nebula by Glencoe (GB)|
|12||Braque||Italy||B.h.||1954||Antonio Canale x Buonamica by Niccolò dell'Arca|
|12||Crucifix||Great Britain||B.f.||1837||Priam x Octaviana by Octavian|
|12||Ardrossan||Great Britain||B.c.||1809||John Bull x Miss Whip by Volunteer|
|11||Goldfinder||Great Britain||B.c.||1764||Snap x mare by Blank|
|11||Kurifuji (Toshifuji)||Japan||Ch.f.||1940||Tournesol (GB) x Kenfuji by Chapel Brampton (GB)|
|10||Handsomchamp||USA||Gr./R h.||2002||Fabulous Champ x Holly D by Hey Rob|
|10||Nereide||Germany||B.f.||1933||Laland x Nella da Gabbio (ITY) by Grand Parade (GB)|
|10||Tokino Minoru||Japan||B.c.||1948||Theft (IRE) x Daini Tyrant's Queen (GB) by Soldennis|
|9||Bahram||Great Britain||B.c.||1932||Blandford x Friar's Daughter by Friar Marcus|
|9||Combat||Great Britain||Br.c.||1944||Big Game x Commotion by Mieuxce (FR)|
|9||Grand Flaneur||Australia||B.c.||1877||Yattendon x First Lady (GB) by St. Albans|
|9||Patience||Hungary||Ch.f.||1902||Bona Vista x (GB) Podagra (GB) by Galopin|
|9||Regulus||Great Britain||B.c.||1739||Godolphin Arabian x Grey Robinson by Bald Galloway|
|9||St. Simon||Great Britain||B.c.||1881||Galopin x St. Angela by King Tom|
|8||La Cressonniere||France||b.f.||2013||Le Havre x Absolute Lady by Galileo|
|8||Alipes||Great Britain||Br. or b. f.||1757||Regulus x Lusty by Locust|
|8||American Eclipse||United States||Ch.c.||1814||Duroc x Miller's Damsel by Messenger|
|8||Bullets Fever||United States||gr.c.||2013||Fiber Sonde x Ghost Canyon, by Indian Charlie|
|8||Caracalla||France||B.c||1942||Tourbillon x Astronomie by Asterus|
|8||Honeysuckle||Great Britain||B.m||2014||Sulamani x First Royal by Lando|
|8||Maruzensky||Japan||b. c.||1974||Nijinsky II x Shill by Buckpasser|
|8||Sweetbriar||Great Britain||Ch. c||1769||Syphon x mare (1763), by Shakespeare|
|8||Tiffin||Great Britain||b. f.||1926||Tetratema x Dawn-wind, by Sunstar|
|8||Sensations||United States||Br.c.||1877||Leamington x Susan Beane, by Lexington|
|8||Rare Brick||United States||Blk.c.||1983||Rare Performer x Windy Brick, by Mr. Brick|
|7||Cluster of Stars||United States||B.f.||2009||Greely's Galaxy x Babyurthegreatest, by Honour and Glory|
|7||El Rio Rey||United States||B.h.||1887||Norfolk x Marian by Malcolm|
|7||Kitano Dai O||Japan||Ch.c.||1965||Die Hard x Kitano Hikari by Tosa Midori|
|7||Malt Queen||Australia||Br.f.||1905||Maltster x Her Majesty by Sunrise|
|7||Mannamead||Great Britain||B.h.||1929||Manna x Pinprick by Torpoint|
|7||Perdita II||Great Britain||B.m.||1881||Hampton x Hermione by Young Melbourne|
|7||The Tetrarch||Ireland||Gr.c.||1911||Roi Herode (FR) x Vahren by Bona Vista|
|7||Zarkava||Ireland||B.f.||2005||Zamindar (USA) x Zarkasha by Kahyasi|
|7||Rodolph||United States||B.c.||1831||either Sir Archy Montorio or Sir Archy x Haxall's Moses Mare, by Haxall's Moses|
|7||Monarch||United States||B.c.||1834||Priam x Delphine, by Whisker|
|7||Salvator||France||Ch.c.||1872||Dollar x Sauvagine, by Ion|
|7||Viani||Italy||B.c.||1967||Acropolis x Violante Vanni, by Yorick|
|7||Itajara||Brazil||Br.c.||1983||Felicio x Apple Honey, by Falkland|
|6||Bay Middleton||Great Britain||B.c.||1833||Sultan x Cobweb by Phantom|
|6||Bustin Stones||United States||Ch.h.||2004||City Zip x Shesasurething by Prospectors Gamble|
|6||Candy Ride||Argentina||B.c.||1999||Ride The Rails (USA) x Candy Girl by Candy Stripes (USA)|
|6||Cavaliere d’Arpino||Italy||B.c.||1926||Havresac II (FR) x Chuette (GB) by Cicero|
|6||Claude||Italy||B.h.||1964||Hornbeam (GB) x Aigue-Vive (FR) by Vatellor|
|6||Flying Childers||Great Britain||B.c.||1714||Darley Arabian x Betty Leedes by Wharton's Careless|
|6||Hurry On||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1913||Marcovil x Tout Suite by Sainfoin|
|6||Justify||United States||Ch.c.||2015||Scat Daddy x Stage Magic by Ghostzapper. Triple Crown winner.|
|6||Quintessence||Great Britain||B.f.||1900||St. Frusquin x Margarine by Petrarch|
|6||Tolgus||Great Britain||B.h.||1923||Stefan the Great x Rosa Croft by Lemberg|
|6||Dismal||Great Britain||Buc.c.||1733||Godolphin Arabian x Alcock Arabian Mare, by Alcock's Arabian|
|6||Aldford||Great Britain||Br.c.||1911||Mauvezin x Mangalmi, by William the Third|
|6||Payaso||Argentina||B.c.||1929||Re-Echo x Payasada, by Pippermint|
|6||Albany Girl||Great Britain||Ch.f.||1935||Duncan Gray x Vestalia, by Abbot's Trace|
|6||Windsor Slipper||Ireland||B.c.||1939||Windsor Lad x Carpet Slipper, by Phalaris|
|6||Manantial||Argentina||Blk.c.||1955||Gulf Stream x Magda, by Full Sail|
|5||Ajax||France||B.h.||1901||Flying Fox x Amie by Clamart|
|5||Dice||United States||B.h.||1925||Dominant x Frumpery by Chicle|
|5||Emerson||Brazil||B.c.||1958||Coaraze (FR) x Empenosa by Full Sail (GB)|
|5||Fasliyev||Ireland||B.h.||1997||Nureyev x Mr P's Princess by Mr. Prospector|
|5||Husson||Argentina||Ch.h.||2003||Hussonet (USA) ex Villa Elisa (CHI) by Roy|
|5||Kneller||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1985||Lomond x Fruition by Rheingold|
|5||Landaluce||United States||B/br.f.||1980||Seattle Slew x Strip Poker by Bold Bidder. Champion 2yo filly|
|5||Landgraf||Germany||B.c.||1914||Louviers (GB) x Ladora (GB) by Ladas|
|5||Logician[a]||Great Britain||Ro.c.||2016||Frankel x Scuffle by Daylami|
|5||Norfolk||United States||B.c.||1861||Lexington x Novice by Glencoe (GB)|
|5||Precocious||Great Britain||B.c.||1981||Mummy's Pet x Mrs Moss by Reform|
|5||Reset||Australia||B.h.||2000||Zabeel x Assertive Lass by Zeditave|
|5||Teofilo||Ireland||B.h.||2004||Galileo x Speirbhean by Danehill|
|5||Queen's Logic||Ireland||Ch. f.||1999||Grand Lodge x Lagrion by Diesis|
|5||Albert||Great Britain||B.c.||1827||Moses x Varennes, by Selim|
|5||Frontin||France||Ch.c.||1880||George Frederick x Frolicsome, by Weatherbit|
|5||Pazman||Austria||B.c.||1916||Pardon x Patrie, by Gaga|
|5||Melody||Argentia||B.f.||1947||Meadow x Elegy, by Rustom Pasha|
|5||Paddy's Sister||Ireland||B.f.||1957||Ballyogan x Birthday Wood, by Bois Roussel|
|5||Eileen's Choice||Great Britain||B.f.||1967||Tin Whistle x Belle Cigale, by Beau Sabreur|
|5||Star Shower||Australia||Ch.c.||1976||Star of Heaven x Show, by Novalis|
|4||Agnes Tachyon||Japan||ch.h.||1998||Sunday Silence x Agnes Flora by Royal Ski. Won Satsuki Sho.|
|4||Catchascatchcan||Great Britain||B.f.||1995||Pursuit of Love x Catawba by Mill Reef. Yorkshire Oaks.|
|4||Drone||United States||Gr.c.||1966||Sir Gaylord x Cap and Bells by Tom Fool. Notable broodmare sire.|
|4||Fuji Kiseki||Japan||blk.h||1992||Sunday Silence x Millracer by Le Fabuleux. Champion two-year-old.|
|4||Golden Fleece||United States||B.c.||1979||Nijinsky II (CAN) x Exotic Treat by Vaguely Noble. Won Epsom Derby.|
|4||Lammtarra||United States||Ch.c.||1992||Nijinsky II (CAN) x Snow Bride by Blushing Groom. Three Group 1 victories.|
|4||Madelia||France||Ch.m.||1974||Caro x Moonmadness by Tom Fool. French champion 3yo filly.|
|4||Mastery||United States||Dk. b.c.||2014||Candy Ride x Steady Course by Old Trieste. Cash Call Futurity.|
|4||Raise a Native||United States||Ch.c.||1961||Native Dancer x Raise You by Case Ace. Champion two-year-old colt and noted sire.|
|4||Snap||Great Britain||Blk.c.||1750||Snip x Sister to Slipby by Fox. Noted sire.|
|4||Vindication||United States||B.h.||2000||Seattle Slew x Strawberry Reason by Strawberry Road. Breeders' Cup Juvenile.|
|4||White Moonstone||United States||B.f.||2008||Dynaformer x Desert Gold by Seeking the Gold. Fillies Mile.|
|4||Tennessee Oscar||United States||B.c.||1814||Wilke's Wonder x Rosy Clack , by Saltram|
|4||Clairvaux||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1880||Hermit x Devotion, by Stockwell|
|4||Magus||Austria-Hundary||Br.c.||1891||Ercildoune x Mascotte, by Forbidden Fruit|
|4||Ball's Florizel||United States||Ch.c.||1801||Diomed x Atkinson's Shark Mare, by Shark|
|4||Saphir||Austria-Hungary||Ch.c.||1894||Chamant x Sappho, by Wisdom|
|4||Morazzona||Italy||B.f.||1939||Cameronian x Milldoria, by Milton|
|4||Ocarina||France||Ch.c.||1947||Bubbles x Montagnana, by Brantome|
|4||Pharsalia||Great Britain||Ch.f.||1954||Panorama x Verdura, by Court Martial|
|4||Blood Royal||Ireland||B.c.||1971||Ribot x Natashka, by Dedicate|
|4||Saratoga Six||United States||B.c.||1982||Alydar x Priceless Fame, by Irish Castle|
|3||Kantharos||United States||Ch,h||2008||Lion Heart x Contessa Halo, by Southern Halo|
|3||Army Mule||United States||b h||2014||Friesian Fire x Crafty Toast by Crafty Professor. Carter Handicap.|
|3||Blue Train||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1944||Blue Peter x Sun Chariot (IRE) by Hyperion|
|3||Boniform||New Zealand||B.h.||1904||Multiform x Otterden (GB) by Sheen|
|3||Cobweb||Great Britain||B.f.||1821||Phantom x Filagree by Soothsayer. Winner of 1000 Guineas and Oaks.|
|3||Danzig||United States||B.c.||1977||Northern Dancer (CAN) x Pas De Nom by Admiral's Voyage. Leading sire.|
|3||Footstepsinthesand||Ireland||B.c.||2002||Giant's Causeway x Glatisant by Rainbow Quest. Won 2000 Guineas.|
|3||Meadowlake||United States||Ch.c.||1983||Hold Your Peace x Suspicious Native by Raise a Native. G1 winner.|
|3||Pharis||France||Bl.c.||1936||Pharos (GB) x Carissima by Clarissimus. Noted sire.|
|3||Pronto||Argentina||B.c.||1958||Timor x Prosperina by Gusty|
|3||Valyra||Great Britain||B.f.||2008||Azamour x Valima by Linamix|
Undefeated horses without five known startsEdit
Nordlicht (chestnut horse 1941–1968, by Oleander x Nereide, by Laland) was also undefeated after an unknown number of starts. His victories included the Deutsches Derby and Austrian Derby. Middleton and Amato had one start each with both of them winning The Derby and then retiring. Cherimoya did likewise when she won The Oaks in her only start. Morston (colt by Ragusa x Windmill Girl by Hornbeam) had two starts, winning both, the second of which was the 1973 Epsom Derby. Sailor won both his races, including the 1820 Epsom Derby. Suspender had three starts, in smaller races, for three wins. Don Juan by Loyalist, Ball's Florizel (1801), Mirza by the Godolphin Arabian, and Lecturer (1869), were also unbeaten, but the number of their wins is unknown.
Galgo Jr, a bay horse bred in Puerto Rico in 1927 or 1928 by Galgo and out of War Relief, recorded 137 wins in 158 starts from 1930 to 1936.
Kingston (by Spendthrift) had 138 starts and won 89 of these, including 30 stakes-races. According to the American Horse Racing Hall of Fame, the 89 wins is the all-time record. Commencing a winning sequence as a four-year-old on 21 August 1888, Kingston had 35 race starts until 30 May 1891 during which he was defeated only twice. Bankrupt won 86 races from 348 starts, and he was also by Spendthrift.
Catherina (1830, by Whisker) started in 176 races and won 79 of them, many over long distances, including the Manchester Cup, Tradesmen's Cup, and Heaton Park's King's Cup. Many of Catherina's races were heat races, and she therefore actually faced the starter 298 times and was the first past the finish line 136 times, including two disqualifications, one walkover, and two dead-heats.
Pan Zareta started 151 times with 76 wins.
The horses who were defeated but had ten or more consecutive race wins include
- 56 – Camarero (PR)
- 49 – Cofresi (PR)
- 44 – Condado (PR)
- 39 – Galgo Jr (PR)
- 33 – Winx (AUS)‡
- 24 – Sicotico (DOM)
- 23 – Leviathan (USA) (1793)
- 22 – Miss Petty (AUS)‡, Pooker T (PR), Rapid Redux
- 21 – Fashion, Kentucky, Picnic in the Park (AUS), (Bond's) First Consul (USA), Lottery (USA), Meteor (GB)
- 20 – Filch (Ireland)
- 19 – Desert Gold (NZ)‡, Gloaming (AUS), Light (FR), Zenyatta (USA)‡, The Hero (GB)Altior,
- 18 – Ajax (AUS), Sally Hope‡, Big Buck's, Hindoo, Squanderer (IND)
- 17 – Careless (Warren's, 1751), Gay Lungi (AUS), Generations (USA), Gradisco (Venezuela), Hanover, Mainbrace, Silent Witness, Mister Park, Sarazen
- 16 – Cigar (USA), Citation (USA), Hallowed Dreams (USA), Miss Woodford‡, Mister Frisky, Sweetmeat (GB), The Bard, Luke Blackburn, Vuelve Candy B.
- 15 – Bayardo, Bernborough (AUS), Boston, Brigadier Gerard, Buckpasser (USA), Carbine (NZ), Gay James (AUS), Man o' War (USA), Pretty Polly‡, Vander Pool (USA)
- 14 Harry Bassett (USA), Kukulkan, Overdose, Phar Lap (NZ), Springfield (GB), Stylish Lord (AUS), DouvanVuelve Candy B.(1993)
- 13 Camarine, Bula (1965) (over hurdles), Limerick (NZ), Mollie McCarty, The Flying Dutchman, Timoleon, Vuelve Candy B.
- 12 Enable ‡, Gallant Bloom ‡, Harkaway (1834), Morvich, Tulloch, No Involvement, Spectacular Bid, Super Easy (NZ), Va Bank
- 11 Azeri, Buveur d'Air, Eurythmic, Kingston Town (AUS), Native Dancer, Nijinsky, Oju Chosan (JPN), Pink Lloyd (CAN),Somerset Fair, Songbird, Faugheen, Kelso, Mended, Tom Fool, War Admiral
- 10 Annie Power (IRE),Bambera(VEN), Beauty Generation (NZ), Better Than Ever (AUS), Count Fleet (USA), Co Tack, Defaulter (AUS), Kindergarten (NZ), Lost in the Fog, Piko, Quijano (GER), Ruffian (USA), Sir Fever (URU), Spectacular Bid, Surround‡, Sprinter Sacre, Native Dancer, Awesome Feather, Mac Diarmida, Solow (GB), Star Guitar (USA), Stradivarius Sysonby, Runnin'toluvya (USA)
Timoleon (1813) won 13 consecutive races and sired National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame horse Boston (1833), who started in about 45 races, winning 40, including 15 in succession. Boston then sired Lexington, who had 7 starts for 6 wins and a place. Lexington in turn sired Kentucky (23 starts, 21 wins), plus the undefeated Asteroid and Norfolk.
Most wins in one seasonEdit
- 30 wins – Jorrocks, also known as The Iron Gelding, won 30 of his 31 starts in 1846, carrying no less than nine stone (126 lbs) over the usual distances of two or three miles, Galgo Jr won 30 races in 1931 at age three.
- 25 - Galgo Jr won 25 races in 1934 at the age of 7.
- 23 - Fisherman won 23 races in 1856 as a three year old, winning from 1/2 mile to 3 miles.
- 22 – Luke Blackburn (1880), in 24 starts, Fisherman in 1957
- 21 – Fisherman, Picnic in the Park (AUS) from 23 starts including breaking down in final race, Top Ace (AUS), Imp, Galgo Jr, Lilian as a five year old in 1874, Alice Hawthorn as a 6 year old in 1844 won 20 races and one dead-heat
- 20 – Hanover
- 19 – Citation (1948), in 20 starts; Camarero (1954, Puerto Rico); Roseben (1905), in 29 starts, Rapid Redux (2011, USA), Phar Lap (AUS)Vuelve Candy B.(1993),
- 18 – Hindoo (1881), Clifford (1893)
- 17 – Kincsem (1877, Hungary)
- 16 – Provideo, Timeless Times Sweetmeat (GB), The Bard (1883, GB)
- 15 – Alsab, Mainbrace (NZ), Old Rosebud (1917), Kingston (1891), Pan Zareta (1913 & 1915), Round Table (1957), Vuelve Candy B.(1991),Wiso G.(1968)
- 14 – Ajax, Desert Gold (NZ)‡, Phar Lap (NZ), Tulloch (NZ), Twilight Tear, Billy Kelly, Kingston (1889)
- 13 –Bambera(VEN), Firenze, Gloaming, Grey Way (NZ), Nagwa, Spindrifter, Uncle Remus, Whirlaway, Buckpasser, Ben Brush, Kingston (1887–1892), Tremont, Henry of Navarre, Vuelve Candy B.(1992&1994),
- 12 – Beldame, Colin (USA), Emperor of Norfolk, Firenze, Kingston Town (AUS), Surround‡, Mac Diarmida (USA), Zev (USA), Coaltown (USA), Damascus (USA), Roamer (USA), Mister Frisky (USA), Parole, Whirlaway
- 11 – Man o' War (USA), Armed (1946 and 1947), Duke of Magenta, Poseidon, Proud Miss‡, Soba, Vindaloo, Red Craze, Cicada, Discovery, Seabiscuit, Bold Ruler, Princess Doreen, La Voyageuse
- 10 – Bernborough (AUS),Blow the Whistle (USA) Busher (USA), Carbine (NZ), Cigar (USA), Count Fleet (USA), Equipoise (USA), Exterminator (1920–1922), Kindergarten (NZ), Kincsem (Hun), Lady's Secret (1985 and 1986), Mended, Nashua (USA), Ormonde (GB),Pikotazo (MEX), Rising Fast (NZ), Saginaw Sarazen (USA), Spectacular Bid (USA), Trafalgar, Tom Fool (USA), Tosmah, Tuscalee (USA), Miss Woodford
Most group / grade one (G1) winsEdit
To identify the highest quality races, the pattern race system was introduced in Europe in 1971, followed by the graded stakes system in North America in 1974. Other countries followed suit, though the criteria and quality has not always been consistent between racing jurisdictions. The following list considers horses that won grade one / group one races that were open for International competition. Winners of local (restricted) group / grade one wins are not included.
The horses with ten or more such G1 race wins are:
- 25 – Winx (AUS)‡
- 22 – Hurricane Fly (IRE)
- 16 – John Henry (USA), Kauto Star (FR)
- 15 – Black Caviar (AUS)‡
- 14 – Affirmed (USA), Forego (USA), Goldikova (IRE)‡, Kingston Town (AUS), Istabraq (IRE)
- 13 – Bayakoa (ARG)‡, Moscow Flyer (IRE), Spectacular Bid, Sunline (NZ)‡, Tie the Knot (AUS), Zenyatta (USA)‡
- 11 – Apple's Jade (FRA)‡, Bambera(VEN), Beholder (USA)‡, Cigar (USA), Lady's Secret (USA)‡, Lonhro (AUS), Manikato, McDynamo (USA), Rough Habit (NZ), Serena's Song‡ (USA), Wise Dan (USA)
- 10 – Altior, Azeri (USA)‡, Beef or Salmon (IRE), Big Buck's (FRA), Brave Inca (IRE), Dahlia (USA)‡, Faugheen Frankel (GB), Enable‡, Miesque (USA)‡, Paseana (ARG)‡, Octagonal (NZ), Mufhasa (NZ), Skip Away (USA), So You Think (NZ) Melody Belle (NZ)‡
Successive group / grade one (G1) winsEdit
This list shows horses who won a series of Grade/Group 1 races without a loss and without an intervening race at a lower level of competition.
- 10 – Winx‡
- 9 – Zenyatta‡, Frankel, Hurricane Fly
- 8 – Black Caviar‡
- 7 – Rock of Gibraltar, Sprinter Sacre, Miss Terrible (ARG)‡
- 6 – Mill Reef, Invasor, Sea the Stars, Good Night Shirt, Sistercharlie‡,
- 5 – Almond Eye (JPN)‡, American Pharoah, Affirmed, Cigar, Douvan, Dubai Millennium, Easy Goer, Enable‡, Go For Wand‡, Giant's Causeway, Gun Runner, McDynamo, Rachel Alexandra‡, Seattle Slew, Solow, Spectacular Bid, Skip Away, Stardom Bound‡, Wise Dan
Successive Stakes winsEdit
- 33 – Winx‡
- 23 – Black Caviar‡
- 17 – Zenyatta‡
- 15 – Citation, Man o War
- 13 – Cigar, Colin, Tremont
- 12 – Brigadier Gerard, Spectacular Bid, Frankel
- 11 – Enable‡, Kingston Town, Ormonde, Pink Lloyd, Tom Fool, Va Bank
- 10 – Star Guitar, Songbird‡, Stradivarius, Sysonby
‡ = Filly or mare
|22:21–1–0||Native Dancer||United States||Gr.h. 1950||Polynesian x Geisha by Discovery||1953 Kentucky Derby 2nd|
|21:20–1–0||Man o' War||United States||Ch.h. 1917||Fair Play x Mahubah by Rock Sand||Sanford Stakes 2nd|
|20:19–1–0||Zenyatta||United States||B/br.f. 2004||Street Cry x Vertigineux by Kris S.||2010 Breeders' Cup Classic 2nd|
|19:18–0–0||Hambletonian||Great Britain||B.h. 1792||King Fergus x Grey Highflyer by Highflyer|
|19:18–0–0||Squanderer||India||B.c. 1973||Valoroso (GB) x Milky Way (IND), by Scamperdale (GB)|
|18:17–1–0||Botafogo||Argentina||1914||Old Man x Korea (GB) by Raeburn|
|18:17–1–0||Brigadier Gerard||Great Britain||1968||Queen's Hussar x La Paiva by Prince Chevalier||1972 Benson & Hedges Gold Cup 2nd|
|18:17–0–0||Gradisco||Venezuela||1960||Show Ring x Gradara by Orsenigo|
|16:15–1–0||The Flying Dutchman||Great Britain||1846||Bay Middleton x Barbelle by Sandbeck||1850 Doncaster Cup 2nd|
|15:14–0–1||Sysonby||United States||1902||Melton x Optime by Orme||Sheepshead Bay Futurity 3rd|
|14:13–1–0||Camarine||Great Britain||1828||Juniper x Rubens mare by Rubens||Maiden race 2nd|
|12:11–0–0||Alba||Germany||1927||Wallenstein x Arabis by Ard Patrick|
|12:11–0–0||Invasor||Argentina||B.h 2002||Candy Stripes x Quendom by Interprete||2005 UAE Derby 4th|
|12:11–1–0||Isinglass||Great Britain||1890||Isonomy x Deadlock by Wenlock||Lancashire Plate 2nd|
|11–10–1–0||Leonatus||United States||1880||Longfellow x Semper Felix by Phaeton||2nd in Maiden Stakes, only race at 2|
|11:10–1–0||Queen of Trumps||Great Britain||br. f. 1832||Velocipede x Princess Royal by Castrel||1835 Scarborough Stakes (attacked by dog)|
|11:10–0–1||Wheel of Fortune||Great Britain||f. 1869||Adventurer x Queen Berths by Kingston||1879 Great Yorkshire Stakes|
|11:10–0–1||Galopin||Great Britain||1872||Vedette x Flying Duchess by The Flying Dutchman||1874 Middle Park Plate 3rd|
|11:10–1–0||Imi||Hungary||1953||Internezzo x Minci by Mannamead|
|11:10–0–0||Ruffian||United States||f. 1972||Reviewer x Shenanigans by Native Dancer||Match race against Foolish Pleasure DNF|
|11:10–1–0||Atlantic Jewel||Australia||b. f. 2008||Fastnet Rock x Regard by Zabeel||2013 Underwood Stakes 2nd|
|11:10–0–0||Awesome Feather||United States||2008||Awesome of Course x Precious Feather by Gone West||Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic 6th|
|10:9–1–0||Alleged||United States||1974||Hoist the Flag x Princess Pout by Prince John||1977 St. Leger Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Divine Proportions||United States||2002||Kingmambo x Myth to Reality by Sadler's Wells||2005 Prix Jacques Le Marois 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Don John||Great Britain||1835||Waverley x Comus mare by Comus||1839 Port Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–0–0||Dubai Millennium||Great Britain||1996||Seeking The Gold x Colorado Dancer by Shareef Dancer||1999 Epsom Derby 7th|
|10:9–1–0||Forli||Argentina||1963||Aristophanes (GB) x Trevisa by Advocate (GB)||Citation Handicap 2nd|
|10:9–0–1||Horse Chestnut||South Africa||1995||Fort Wood x London Wall by Col Pickering||Morris Lipschitz Juvenile Plate 3rd|
|10:9–1–0||Majestic Prince||United States||1966||Raise a Native x Gay Hostess by Royal Charger||1969 Belmont Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Phone Trick||United States||1982||Clever Trick x Over the Phone by Finnegan||Tom Fool Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–0–0||Stopshoppingdebbie||United States||2010||Curlin x Taste the Passion by Wild Again||2014 L.A Woman 5th|
|10:9–1–0||West Australian||Great Britain||1850||Melbourne x Mowerina by Touchstone. Triple Crown winner.||Criterion Stakes 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Dante||Great Britain||1942||Nearco x Rosy Legend by Dark Legend||1945 2000 Guineas Stakes, 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Donatello II||France||1934||Blenheim (GB) x Delleana (ITY) by Clarissimus (GB)|
|9–8–1–0||King Glorious||United States||1986||Naevus x Glorious Natalie by Reflected Glory||1989 Gold Tush 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Herold||Germany||1917||Dark Ronald x Hornisse by Ard Patrick|
|9:8–1–0||Mistress Ford||France||1933||Blandford (IRE) x Polly Flinders II by Teddy|
|9:8–0–0||Sea the Stars||Ireland||2006||Cape Cross x Urban Sea by Miswaki||Maiden race|
|9:8–1–0||Sicambre||France||1948||Prince Bio x Sif by Rialto||1950 Prix Morny, 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Smarty Jones||United States||2001||Elusive Quality x I'll Get Along by Smile||2004 Belmont Stakes, 2nd|
|9:8–0–1||Sun Chariot||Ireland||1939||Hyperion x Clarence by Diligence|
|9:8–1–0||Horometer||Canada||1931||Hourless x Star Pal by North Star|
|9:8–1–0||Dalakhani||Ireland||2000||Darshaan x Daltawa by Miswaki||2003 Irish Derby, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Kingman||United Kingdom||2011||Invincible Spirit x Zenda by Zamindar||2014 2000 Guineas Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Graustark||United States||1963||Ribot x Flower Bowl by Alibhai||1966 Blue Grass Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–0–0||Big Brown||United States||B.h. 2005||Boundary x Mien by Nureyev||2008 Belmont Stakes DNF|
|8:7–0–0||King Kamehameha||Japan||B.h. 2001||Kingmambo x Manfath by Last Tycoon||2004 Keisei Hai|
|8:7–0–0||Reel||United States||Gr.m. 1838||Glencoe (GB) x Gallopade by Catton|
|8:7–0–0||Shakespeare||United States||B.h. 2001||Theatrical x Lady Shirl by That's a Nice||2005 Breeders' Cup Turf|
|8:7–1–0||Sea Bird||France||1962||Dan Cupid x Sicalade by Sicalade||1964 Grand Critérium, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Macaroni||United Kingdom||1860||Sweetmeat x Jocose by Pantaloon||debut race at 1862|
|8:7–1–0||El Gran Senor||United States||1981||Northern Dancer x Sex Appeal by Buckpasser||1984 Epsom Derby, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Sinndar||Ireland||1997||Grand Lodge x Sinntara by Lashkari||2000 Ballysax Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–0–1||Grand Parade||Ireland||blk.c. 1916||Orby x Grand Geraldine by Desmond||Moulton Stakes 3rd|
|8:7–0–1||Sircat Sally||United States||2014||Surf Cat x Sister Sally by In Excess )||San Clemente Handicap 3rd|
|8:7–0–0||Rock Fall||United States||2011||Speightstown x Renda by Medaglia d'Oro||8th in debut race|
|7:6–1–0||St Patrick||Great Britain||1817||Walton x Dick Andrews mare by Dick Andrews|
|7:6–1–0||Lexington||United States||1850||Boston x Alice Carneal by Sarpedon (GB)||Jockey Club Purse 2nd|
|7:6–1–0||Partner||Great Britain||1718||Jigg x Sister to Mixbury, by Curwen's Bay Barb|
|7:6–0–0||Barbaro||United States||2003||Dynaformer x La Ville Rouge by Carson City||2006 Preakness Stakes DNF|
|7–6–1–0||Eternal Rule||Canada||2008||Tribal Rule x Eternal Legend, By Gold Legend||2012 Bold Venture Stakes 2nd|
|7:6–0–0||Val d'Or||France||1902||Flying Fox x Wandora by Bruce|
|6:5–0–1||Graydar||United States||2009||Unbridled's Song x Sweetest Smile by Dehere||3rd allowance|
|6:5–1–0||Hoist the Flag||United States||1968||Tom Rolfe x Wavy Navy by War Admiral||Champagne Stakes, DQ|
|6:5–1–0||Kingston Treasure||Hong Kong||1995||Spectacular Love x Attempting by Try My Best|
|6:5–1–0||Majesticperfection||United States||2006||Harlan's Holiday x Act So Noble by Wavering Monarch||Maiden, third|
|6:5–1–0||Meld||Great Britain||f. 1952||Alycidon x Daily Double by Fair Trial|
|6:5–1–0||Sebring||Australia||Ch.c. 2005||More Than Ready x Pure Speed by Flying Spur|
|6:5–1–0||Voltaire||Great Britain||1826||Blacklock x mare by Phantom|
|6:5–0–0||Zilzal||United States||Ch.c 1986||Nureyev x French Charmer by Le Fabuleux||1989 Breeders' Cup Mile, 6th|
|5–4–0–1||Common||Great Britain||Ch.c 1888||Isomony x thistle by Scottish Chief||3rd in debut race|
|5:4–1–0||Bletchingly||Australia||Br.h. 1970||Biscay x Coogee (GB) by Relic (USA)|
|5:4–1–0||Riddlesworth||Great Britain||1828||Emilius x Fillagree by Soothsayer||1831 Epsom Derby 2nd|
|5:4–0–1||Apalachee||United States||1971||Round Table x Moccasin by Nantallah||3rd in 2000 Guineas|
|5:4–0–1||Noblesse||Ireland||1960||Mossborough x Duke's Delight by His Grace||3rd in Prix Vermeille|
|5:4–0–0||Magnum Moon||United States||2015||Malibu Moon x Dazzling Song by Unbridled Song||19th in Kentucky Derby|
|5:4–1–0||Barremina||United States||1971||Royal Medal - Bacacay, by Moslem(ARG)||2nd in Clasico Louis Martinz|
|4–3–1–0||Violence||United States||2010||Medaglia d'Oro x Violent Beauty by Gone West||2nd Fountain of youth|
|4–3–0–0||Smooth Roller||United States||2011||Hard Spun x Catch the Moment by Unbridled||4th in the Harry F Brubaker|
|4:3–1–0||Blandford||Ireland||1919||Swynford x Blanche by White Eagle|
|4–3–0–0||Buddha||United States||1999||Unbridled's Song x Cahooters by Storm Cat||10th debut race|
|4:3–0–0||Wild Dayrell||Great Britain||Br.h. 1852||Ion x Ellen Middleton by Cain. Won Epsom Derby.|
|4-3-0-0||Demarchelier||Great Britain||2016||Dubawi x Loveisallyyouneed by Sadlers Wells||2019 Belmont Derby DNF|
|3:2–0–1||Bois Roussel||Great Britain||Br.h. 1935||Vatout x Plucky Liege by Spearmint. Won Epsom Derby.||3rd Grand Prix de Paris|
|3–2–0–1||New Years Day||United States||Br.h 2011||Street Cry x Justwhistledixie by Dixie Union||3rd debut race|
|3:2–0–0||Nureyev||United States||1977||Northern Dancer x Special by Forli||2,000 Guineas Stakes DSQ (finished 1st)|
|3:2–0–0||Wilkes||France||1952||Court Martial x Sans Tares (GB) by Sind|
$10 million prizewinning horsesEdit
The following horses have earned over $10 million in prize money. Most of them raced (at least in part) in Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and/or Dubai due to large purse sizes. Where applicable, the conversion to US$ was made at the time the horse raced so does not reflect current exchange rates. Different methodologies for currency conversions may result in slightly different rankings.
- Orfevre (Japan) 1,576,213,000 yen (US$19,005,276)
- Winx (AUS) A$26,421,176 (US$18,943,757)
- Gentildonna (Japan) JPY 1,326,210,000 (US$18,468,392)
- Arrogate (USA) US$17,422,600
- Buena Vista (Japan) JPY 1,478,869,700 (US$17,018,548)
- Kitasan Black 1,876,843,000 JPN yen, (US$16,572,523)
- Thunder Snow (Ireland) US$16,391,476
- T M Opera O (Japan) JPY 1,835,189,000 (US$16,200,337)
- Gun Runner (USA) US$15,988,500
- Gold Ship (Japan) 1,397,767,000 yen (US$15,040,217)
- California Chrome (USA) US$14,752,650
- Enable (GB) £10,382,243 (US$13,663,326)
- Vodka 1,333,565,800 JPY (US$13,147,826)
- Victoire Pisa 1,465,416,058.53 yen, US$12,891,734
- Deep Impact (Japan) 1,454,551,000 yen (US$12,825,285)
- Narita Brian (Japan) 1,026,916,000 yen (US$12,026,101)
- Maximum Security (USA) US$11,801,900
- Symboli Kris S (USA) 984,724,000 JPY (US$11,531,995)
- Vermilion (Japan) 1,168,607,500 yen (US$11,139,125)
- Redzel (AUS) A$15,372,000 (US$10,935,640)
- Makybe Diva (GB) A$14,526,685 (US$10,767,186). Raced in Australia.
- Smart Falcon (JPN) (US$11,470,635)
- Lys Gracieux (JPN) US$11,023,327
- Espoir City (JPN) (US$11,443,812)
- Beauty Generation HK$84,760,000 (US$10,806,476)
- Hokko Tarumae (JPN) (US$10,703,689)
- Curlin (USA) US$10,501,800
- Viva Pataca (GB) HKD$81,297,500 (US$10,438,864.83)
- Almond Eye (JPN) US$10,193,349
- Highland Reel (IRE) £7,513,355 (US$10,057,377.00)
Most of the above horses belong to the Nearco sireline, mostly through the branches established by Sunday Silence and Northern Dancer. However, Curlin, Arrogate, Winx and Gun Runner descend instead from the Native Dancer sire line through Mr. Prospector. Both Nearco and Native Dancer were grandsons of Phalaris.
North American recordsEdit
In 1951, Citation became the first horse to win one million dollars. In 1979, Affirmed became the first horse to break the two million dollar barrier, finishing his career with earnings of $2.3 million. Spectacular Bid broke this record in 1980, amassing career earnings of $2.8 million. Purses began to increase sharply soon afterwards thanks in large part to the Breeders' Cup. The next record holders were John Henry, who earned $6.6 million by the end of his career in 1984 and Alysheba, with earnings of $6.7 million by the end of his career in 1988. Cigar was the next to hold the North American earnings title, finishing his career in 1998 with earnings just shy of $10 million ($9,999,815). That remained the North American record until Curlin in 2008, who earned $10.5 million. California Chrome broke this record in 2016 with career earnings of $14.8 million, and was in turn surpassed by Arrogate when he won the 2017 Dubai World Cup to take his career earnings over $17 million.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Famous race horses.|
- "Timeform's Greatest Racehorses". timeform.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Beyer Numbers". www1.drf.com. Archived from the original on 12 November 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Fastest speed for a race horse". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Nielsen BD1, Turner KK, Ventura BA, Woodward AD, O'Connor CI. (2006). "Racing speeds of quarter horses, thoroughbreds and Arabians". Equine Vet J Suppl. 38 (36): 128–32. doi:10.1111/j.2042-3306.2006.tb05528.x. PMID 17402407.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Schlink, Harold (6 October 2018). "Winx gives fans a huge scare". Herald Sun. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "What is Jump racing? – Racing Explained". www.racingexplained.co.uk. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Hurricane Fly 'horse of a generation' retired". www.racingpost.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- McKenzie, By Sheena (28 June 2013). "Horse racing's battle of the sexes – does gender matter? – CNN". CNN. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Black Caviar vs. Zenyatta". Sporting Post. 22 February 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Kincsem Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- ASB: Black Caviar. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Shinar, Jack (17 December 2008). "Peppers Pride Perfect Streak Peaks at 19". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Eclipse Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- Briggs, Helen (17 March 2006). "'Averageness' key to great racehorses". BBC News Online. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Amos, Jonathan (5 September 2005). "DNA study of 'greatest racehorse'". BBC News Online. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- The Independent: Racing. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- Hall, Gideon. "The Richest Man in Horse Racing" (PDF). Bakerstreet Journal. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Erigero, Patricia. "Bend Or". Thoroughbred Heritage Portraits. Retrieved 9 April 2009. (Ormonde is listed as part of its heritage).
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Sardanapale. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- Ribot Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- "Colin". National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 29 May 2008. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- "Macon (horse)". American Classic Pedigrees. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: William the Third. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "Sporfinglife.com". Sportinglife.com. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 15 March 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Peters, Anne; Patricia Erigero. "Highflyer". Thoroughbred Heritage Portraits. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- "Personal Ensign". National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 2 January 2009. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Hollingsworth, Kent, The Kentucky Thoroughbred, University Press, Kentucky, 1985.
- Talmadge Phelps, John and Frank, Dormello-Olgiata, 1961–1962, Derby Publishing Co., Milan, 1962.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Priam. Retrieved 17 March 2010 Note: Several sources state that she won all 12 of her starts, but she dead-heated in one race.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, and Champions (3rd ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. pp. 68–72. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- Pick, William; Johnson, R. (1805). The Turf Register (Volume II). A. Bartholoman, High-Ousegate.
- "Handsomchamp Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Tb Heritage – Oleander. Retrieved 2 August 2009.
- Ahnert, Rainer L. (editor in chief), "Thoroughbred Breeding of the World", Pozdun Publishing, Germany, 1970.
- Leicester, Sir Charles, "Bloodstock Breeding", J.A. Allen & Co, London, 1969.
- Barrie, Douglas M., The Australian Bloodhorse, Angus & Robertson, Sydney, 1956.
- Morland, Thomas Hornby, "The Genealogy of the English Race Horse", J Barfield, London, 1810.
- "St. Simon". Thoroughbred Bloodlines. Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- "La Cressonniere". Racing Post. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Pick, William; Johnson, R. (1803). The Turf Register (Volume I). A. Bartholoman, High-Ousegate.
- Montgomery, E.S, "The Thoroughbred", Arco, New York, 1973 ISBN 0-668-02824-6.
- "Profile for Bullets Fever". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- Bloodlines: Sweetbriar. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Equibase | Profiles – Cluster of Stars". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Norfolk. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- Henry, Bill (ed.), "J.J. Miller's Sporting Annual, 1977", Herald & Weekly Times Ltd., Melbourne.
- ASB: Zarkava (IRE). Retrieved 24 August 2009.
- Equibase: Bustin Stones. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Thoroughbred Stallion Register – 1984, Australian Jockey Club, ISSN 0155-6134.
- Peters, Anne. "Flying Childers". www.tbheritage.com. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Justify Profile". equibase.com. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Family 26: Old Merlin Mare. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Sport: Death of Dice". Time. 22 August 1927. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- APFT: Racing and breeding in South America. Retrieved 24 August 2010.[dead link]
- "Fasliyev". Racing Post. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Husson(ARG). Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, Champions (Third Edition). Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- "Landaluce profile". Equibase. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Teofilo Archived 3 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Queen's Logic". Racing Post. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Bayer, Barbara (24 June 2009). "Top stallion Agnes Tachyon dies". The Japan Times Online. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Drone (horse)". American Classic Pedigrees. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- racing Post: Fuji Kiseki. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- "English Derby Winner: Golden Fleece". www.chef-de-race.com. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Lammtarra, European champion and pensioned sire, dies at age 22". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Marignan. Retrieved 5 December 2009.
- "Mastery profile". Equibase. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- New York Times: Raise a Native Destroyed. Retrieved 20 December 2009.
- "Snap". www.bloodlines.net. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Horsehats.com". Horsehats.com. Archived from the original on 10 March 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Schweitzer, Mary. "Bloodhorse.com". Bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Army Mule profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Martian. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- Leading Sire Danzig Pensioned at Claiborne. Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- "Footstepsinthesand". Racing Post. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Meadowlake profile". Equibase. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Valyra". Racing Post. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Talmadge Phelps, John and Frank , Dormello-Olgiata, 1961–1962, Derby Publishing Co., Milan, 1962.
- "How did a German derby winner end up in louisiana?". Bloodstock in the bluegrass. 30 March 2010.
- The Mercury newspaper, 9 December 1916, p. 4, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Wentworth, Lady, "Thoroughbred Breeding Stock", George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London, 1960.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, and Champions (3rd ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. p. 14. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- "Kingston". www.racingmuseum.org. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- TbH: Spendthrift. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- TbH: Whisker. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- Klessel, Steve (3 November 1967). [www.newspapers.com "Tippitywitchet Real Iron Horse"] Check
|url=value (help). Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- The Independent: World's top-rated horse Harbinger is sent to stud. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Thoroughbred Times: Camarero's record of 56 consecutive wins turns 50 Archived 31 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "Winx Horse Profile". www.racenet.com.au. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Sicotico-24-for-26-has-retired-to-stud. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- The Independent. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- Huxley, Dennis, Miller's Guide, Sporting records, 2009/2010, Miller's Guide P/L, Moonee Ponds.
- Jason Shandler (4 January 2012). "Rapid Redux Scores 22nd Straight at Laurel". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- Bloodlines: E-F. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Bloodlines: L. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "Altior". Racing Post. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- American turf register and sporting magazine, Volume 3. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "Big Buck's". Racing Post. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Hindoo | National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame". www.racingmuseum.org. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- 14 – Lucifer?? (1813). Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- Bloodlines: Careless. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- 2008 Tasmanian Racing Hall of Fame inductees. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Venezuelan Riding anecdotes. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "Live Horse Racing News | Racing News As It Happens". Racing Post. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Citation's 16, 1948. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- Racing Museum HoF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Horse racing. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Tb Heritage: Petrarch. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- "History Challenge: Tom Fool, Native Dancer made their marks in '53". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Gay James". www.queenslandhistoryofracing.com.au. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Tb Heritage: Pretty Polly. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- BRYAN FIELD.Times Wide World Photo.Times Wide World Photo. (26 July 1931). "New York Times – July 26, 1931". Select.nytimes.com. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Racing Museum HoF Archived 8 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "Undefeated Kukulkan Romps in Caribbean Classic". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- Overdose is only seventh in Baden- Baden. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Tb Heritage: Springfield. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "Douvan". Racing Post. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Famous horses". Archived from the original on 13 September 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- Pring, Peter; "Analysis of Champion Racehorses", The Thoroughbred Press, Sydney, 1977, ISBN 0-908133-00-6.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Mollie McCarty. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "Enable profile". Equibase. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- The Sportsman, Volumes 4–5. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- Most Continuous Races Won. Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- Just Racing. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "Spectacular Bid – Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Super Easy – Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Va Bank Tastes Defeat For the First Time". www.thoroughbreddailynews.com. 2 October 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Buveur d'Air". Racing Post. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- 障害王者オジュウチョウサン、平地で連勝 有馬記念目指す The Nikkei
- "Songbird Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Beauty Generation". Racing Post. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
- Racehorse Sales Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- Co-Tack Horse racord Hong Kong Jockey Club
- "Lost in the Fog profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Racing Post: Quijano (GER). Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Sir Fever Form". www.racingpost.com. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Delp, Turner Say Against Bid and Slew It Would Be No Cigar". Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Stradivarius". Racing Post. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- Jumps Racing: All time favourites. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, and Champions (3rd ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. p. 14. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- Equibase: Rapid Redux. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Provideo equalled a record. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "Spindrifter". Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Ben Brush | National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame". www.racingmuseum.org. 8 May 2006. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Roamer | National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame". www.racingmuseum.org. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- . Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Vindaloo race record". Racing Post. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Mended Holds Year's Longest Win Streak at 10
- "Graded Stakes". toba.org. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Hurricane Fly". Racing Post. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Eqisearch: Racehorse John Henry Dead at 32 Archived 24 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Kauto Star". Racing Post. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Thomas, Ray (25 February 2017). "Super 15: Winx walks on water". The Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Racing future: "Gerry, owner of Forego, dies". Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- Equibase: Goldikova (IRE). Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- Racing Post: Goldikova (IRE). Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Istabraq". Racing Post. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Bayakoa Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Moscow Flyer". Racing Post. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- HorseHats: Spectacular Bid Archived 6 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- 19 Down, One Big One to Go for Zenyatta. Retrieved 10 October 2010
- "Apple's Jade". Racing Post. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "Beholder Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Equibase: Lady's Secret. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "McDynamo Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Wise Dan Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Beef Or Salmon race record". Racing Post. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Big Buck's". Racing Post. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Brave Inca". Racing Post. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Faugheen". Racing Post. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- HoF: Paseana. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "MUFHASA Racehorse Profile". www.racenet.com.au. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Thoroughbred Times: Hall of Fame member Skip Away dies at 17. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Sceptre. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Miss Terrible Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Thoroughbred Bloodlines: Hambletonian. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Thoroughbred Stallion Register", 1978, Australian Jockey Club, Randwick, NSW, 1978.
- Tb Heritage. Retrieved 18 October 2009.
- Pryor, Peter, The Classic Connection, Cortney Publications, Luton, 1979.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Reel. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Lexington". American Classic Pedigrees. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Bloodlines: Partner (Crofts). Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Majestic Perfection". American Classic Pedigrees. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Majesticperfection (profile)". Equibase. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Golden Slipper winner Sebring retired Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Morris, Simon; Tesio Power 2000 – Stallions of the World, Syntax Software.
- Ward (recorder), Frederick R. (1974). Australian Register of Thoroughbred Stallions. Sydney: Excelsis Press. p. 346.
- Farrell, Maureen (1 May 2009). "The World's Top-Earning Horses". Forbes. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Winx nicking statistics". equineline.com. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Gentildonna Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Arrogate Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Buena Vista profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Thunder Snow Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Gold Ship Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "California Chrome profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Enable Profile". Equibase. Retrieved 24 August 2019.
- http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8754542®istry=T Victoire Pisa – Equibase Profile
- "Equibase Profiles". www.equibase.com.
- "Affirmed First Horse To Earn $2 Million". The New York Times. 25 June 1979. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Spectacular Bid's Brilliance Remembered". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Top 50 Thoroughbred Horses All Time Leading Money Earners". www.horseraceinsider.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Dubai World Cup winner Arrogate returns to Santa Anita". USA TODAY. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- Still active