List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, July 2020
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in July 2020, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
The table below lists 17 people. (This number should update automatically when changes are saved.)
|Date||Name (age) of deceased||Race||State (city)||Description|
|2020-07-20||Vincent Harris (51)||African American||Louisiana (Baton Rouge)||While searching for Harris in the early morning, who was wanted on charges related to an attack involving Harris reportedly attacking his girlfriend with a machete, officers discovered Harris. He reportedly pointed a weapon at officers in an apartment, and officers opened fire, resulting in the death of Harris. A BRPD K-9 animal was injured.|
|2020-07-18||Grant King (35)||tbd||Indiana||Officers were called to a residence where a man opened fire on them, causing an officer to return fire. The man went inside the home and IMPD SWAT members and Crisis Negotiation teams arrived. After multiple hours of a standoff, the man stopped communicating with officers and officers attempted to enter the home, and engaged in gunfire again with the man. Officers struck the man during this altercation and he died later at the hospital.|
|2020-07-17||Malcom Comeaux (24)||tbd||Texas (Houston)||Two FBI agents serving a warrant on a child pornography investigation along with Houston Police, at a residence shot an armed man in the morning. While approaching the home, the agents reportedly saw a him walk outside the home brandishing a weapon, and refused to drop it when ordered to. The two agents opened fire, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.|
|2020-07-17||David Martin (28)||tbd||Colorado (Fruita)||Officers responding to a call of a boyfriend threatening his girlfriend with a handgun, attempted to arrest the Martin. He did not cooperate and was ultimately shot by officers and pronounced dead at the scene.|
|2020-07-16||Aaron Olsvik (23)||Caucasian/White||Washington (King County)||A sixty-two year old man was walking his dog, and noticed someone following him, the man later identified as Olsvik then stabbed the man and the dog. Officers arrived at the scene and received reports of another attempted stabbing, and the Olsvik was located near an apartment complex. While officers attempted to arrest him he was shot and killed.|
|2020-07-16||Chase Roundtree (33)||Caucasian/White||Texas (Knox County)||Officers received calls about an active shooter on US 82, shooting at random vehicles in the morning. Officers arrived to find Roundtree had stolen a semi-truck at gunpoint and fled with a woman, and after a short pursuit he stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road. He exited the vehicle with a firearm and reportedly ignored officers shouted commands and pointed the firearm at officers. He was shot and wounded by officers, but later died at the hospital.|
|2020-07-14||Tyler Blevens (22)||Caucasian/White||Kentucky (Shepherdsville)||Following an hours-long standoff in which officers surrounded Blevens' home, he emerged from the house carrying a gun and attempted to get in a vehicle. Police say that officers shot him after giving repeated commands to drop the gun, to which he did not respond. Blevens was pronounced dead at the scene.|
|2020-07-14||Vincent Demario Truitt (17)||tbd||Georgia (Cobb County)||Officers reported that they identified a stolen vehicle while it was being driven by Demario Truitt and two other teenagers, and attempted a traffic stop which resulted in a car chase. After running into a dead end, the other teenagers attempted to flee the car and were arrested by officers. When the teenagers left the vehicle, Demario Truitt reportedly pointed a handgun at officers, and was shot by one officer. The other two teenagers were arrested on an outstanding warrant and in relation to the stolen vehicle.|
|2020-07-13||Glynn Farse Young (59)||Caucasian/White||Tennessee (Rockwood)||Officers responded to a domestic disturbance call on the highway between a man and woman, the woman left the vehicle and the man drove away from the scene resulting in a chase. Once stopped by the officers, the man exited the vehicle and brandished a handgun at the officers, causing one of the officers to fire and kill Farse Young.|
|2020-07-12||Rodney Morrison (47)||tbd||Georgia (Leesburg)||In the afternoon, officers responded to Morrison's home in order to serve court-mandated paperwork to him. Per the officers statement Morrison threatened the officers with a knife as they tried to serve the paperwork and then fled the area into a field. During his attempt to flee from the area one of the officers opened fire, and struck Morrison who later died at a local hospital.|
|2020-07-12||Terena Thurman (36)||Caucasian/White||Ohio||Officers were searching for Thurman who had a warrant for her arrest from a prior offense. When she was found, she fled and reportedly stole a truck and when officers tried to make an arrest she reportedly hit an officer with the truck. It is believed by officers that the officer who was hit by the truck, fired his weapon in defense of the other officers. Thurman was struck in the chest and crashed the truck she was driving, and pronounced dead at a local hospital.|
|2020-07-11||Michael Culbertson (26)||Caucasian/White||South Carolina (Greenville County)||According to the Greenville County Coroner, officers were attempting to serve a warrant on Culbertson when he pulled out a weapon and pointed it at the officers. One of the officers shot Culbertson, and he was pronounced dead at a local hospital.|
|2020-07-10||Kanavis Dujan Glass (31)||tbd||Florida (Panama City Beach)||Officers responding to an early morning, domestic violence incident arrived at the home to Glass shooting his girlfriend in her face. Glass was killed when officers returned fire, and the girlfriend was taken to a local hospital.|
|2020-07-10||Kevin Michael Norton (60)||Caucasian/White||Pennsylvania (Forksville)||Norton was killed by police officers attempting to serve a warrant for his arrest.|
|2020-07-05||Hakim Littleton (20)||African American||Michigan (Detroit)||In the morning hours of July 5, police officers responded to a shooting at a Fourth of July party, and were in the process of detaining an individual. Littleton, who was initially walking away from the area, saw that the man being detained was his friend and approached the officers, pulled out what appeared to be a firearm and shot at one of the officers. An officer tackled him as more shots were fired, and officers responded by shooting Littleton. The incident sparked protests in Detroit which lasted several days, with many protesters disputing the officer's accounts and the body camera footage. 8 individuals were arrested at these protests.|
|2020-07-04||James Porter Garcia (28)||Caucasian/White or Hispanic/Latino||Arizona (Phoenix)||Officers surrounding Garcia's parked car fired at least 10 shots at him as he sat in the vehicle. Whether Garcia was armed is disputed. The Phoenix Police Department said that two officers who fired at Garcia had their body-worn cameras recording during the incident.|
|2020-07-02||Kevan Ruffin Jr. (32)||African American||Wisconsin (Sheboygan)||Ruffin Jr. was wielding 2 sai as he charged the officer. The officer shot 7 times, 4 of them hitting Ruffin Jr. in the chest who died minutes later at the scene.|
- Death in custody § United States
- Henry A. Wallace Police Crime Public Database
- List of cases of police brutality
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by country
- List of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in the United States
- List of police reforms related to the George Floyd protests
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct § United States
- Police riot § United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- WBRZ Staff (July 19, 2020). "Police release new videos from deadly shooting, say suspect pointed weapon at officers". WBRZ. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- Associated Press (July 21, 2020). "Man killed by Louisiana police was wanted in knife attack". Washington Post. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Mack, Justin L. (July 19, 2020). "Indianapolis crime: Man shot and killed by police to end long SWAT standoff". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- WTHR.com staff (July 19, 2020). "IMPD SWAT standoff on northeast side ends with man dead". WTHR. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Jordan, Jay R. (2020-07-17). "FBI agents kill armed man outside SE Houston home, police say". Laredo Morning Times. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- ABC13 (2020-07-20). "Child porn suspect dead in FBI-involved shooting as warrant was executed at SE Houston home". ABC13. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Thomas, Adrian (2020-07-19). "One Dead After Officer Involved Shooting in Fruita". KREX. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- "Suspect in stabbing shot and killed by King County Sheriff's deputies". MyNorthwest.com. 2020-07-16. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- Horne, Deborah (2020-07-17). "Neighbors say armed Shoreline man should not have been killed by police". KIRO 7 News.
- "Suspect in Knox County officer-involved shooting dies". News Channel 6 CBS. July 20, 2020. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- Linville, Lauren (July 17, 2020). "UPDATE: Suspect in Knox County officer-involved shooting dies in hospital". bigcountryhomepage.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "Authorities say armed man shot to death by Kentucky State Police in Shepherdsville". WDRB. 2020-07-15. Retrieved 2020-07-15.
- Corsey, Gil (2020-07-16). "Father of Shepherdsville man fatally shot by police says his son needed mental help". Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Raymond, Jonathan (July 15, 2020). "GBI: Person shot by Cobb police after 'brandishing a handgun' at end of chase dies at hospital". 11Alive.com. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- Simone Burns, Asia (July 15, 2020). "1 teen dead, 2 others arrested after officer-involved shooting in Cobb". ajc.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Raucoules, Gregory (2020-07-13). "UPDATE: Man shot, killed during the domestic call in officer-involved shooting in Roane County". WATE 6 On Your Side. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Lawrence, Damon (2020-07-17). "Man shot by Rockwood police officer identified". roanecounty.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Barela, Kim McCullough, Jordan (July 13, 2020). "Update: Man identified in Lee Co. officer-involved shooting". WALB NEWS 10. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Coroner identifies suspect killed in Butler Township officer-involved shooting". WDTN.com. 2020-07-13. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- WHIO staff (2020-07-14). "UPDATE: Female robbery suspect killed in Butler Twp. officer-involved shooting identified".
- "Man who died after deputy-involved shooting in Greenville Co. ID'd". WSPA 7News. 2020-07-11. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Collins, Jeffrey (2020-07-25). "Body cameras show 5 deputies fire on South Carolina man". charlotteobserver.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- McCool, Jordan (July 10, 2020). "Suspect dead after officer involved shooting at Laketown Wharf". WJHG NEWS 7. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "One dead in 'officer-involved shooting' | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette". Williamsport Sun-Gazette. July 11, 2020. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Beauge, John (July 11, 2020). "Pa. man shot to death by law enforcement serving a warrant". pennlive.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "K. Michael 'Mike' Norton". pennlive.com. July 16, 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Moran, Darcie (July 12, 2020). "What we know about the Detroit police shooting of Hakim Littleton, protests". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved July 13, 2020.
- Kelly, Dane (July 12, 2020). "'Detroit Will Breathe' reacts to body cam footage of Hakim Littleton's death". Click on Detroit. Retrieved July 13, 2020.
- "Phoenix Police Kill Man in Parked Car, Igniting New Protests". The New York Times. 2020-07-06. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- Lum, Justin (2020-07-04). "Man recalls the moment his friend was killed in Phoenix officer-involved shooting". FOX 10 Phoenix. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- Carter, Cydeni (2020-07-10). "Phoenix PD identifies the two officers involved in the shooting death of James Garcia". abc15.com. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Dombrowski, Diana (August 6, 2020). "Fatal Police Shooting Kevan Ruffin Officer wont be Charged". Sheboygan Press. Retrieved August 6, 2020.
- Associated Press (July 2, 2020). "Wisconsin officer shoots Black man brandishing knives". Retrieved September 4, 2020.