List of state governors of Nigeria
Politics of Nigeria
The following table presents a list of Nigeria's State governors. Governors are elected for a term of four years (maximum of two terms). A minister appointed by the President of Nigeria oversees affairs in the Federal Capital Territory.
A person shall be eligible for the office of Governor if he or she is a citizen of Nigeria by birth, at least 35 years of age, is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party. The constitution limits state governors to only two four-year terms in office.
Oath of officeEdit
The Constitution of Nigeria specifies an oath of office for the State Governors of Nigeria:
|“||I do solemnly swear/affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that as the Governor of ....... State, I will discharge my duties to the best of my ability, faithfully and in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the law, and always in the interest of the sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well-being and prosperity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will strive to preserve the Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy contained in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will exercise the authority vested in me as Governor so as not to impede or prejudice the authority lawfully vested in the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and so as not to endanger the continuance of Federal Government in Nigeria; that I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conduct or my official decisions; that I will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will abide by the Code of Conduct contained in the Fifty Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that in all circumstances, I will do right to all manner of people, according to law, without fear or favor, affection or ill-will; that I will not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any matter which shall be brought under my consideration or shall become known to me as Governor of ......... State, except as may be required for the due discharge of my duties as Governor; and that I will devote myself to the service and well-being of the people of Nigeria. So help me God.||”|
List of current state governorsEdit
The current party affiliation of the 36 state governors is:
- 11 People's Democratic Party (PDP)
- 24 All Progressive Congress (APC)
- 1 All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA)
NB: Party affiliation changes regularly as a result of the spate of defections in Nigeria's political party system.
- "Bauchi state Deputy Governor sworn-in". Jul 2, 2018. Retrieved Jul 28, 2018.
- "UPDATED: Benue governor, Ortom, defects to PDP". July 25, 2018. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Editor, Online (24 February 2017). "New Ondo Gov, Akeredolu, Deputy Sworn in, Promises to Rebuild State".
- "List of Nigerian State Governors, their Political Party and Year of Election". www.currentinall.com.
- "Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria - List of State Governors". www.nigeriaembassyusa.org.
- "List of newly elected governors in Nigeria 2019 with election statistics". www.naijadazz.com.