List of government-owned corporations of Puerto Rico
The government-owned corporations of Puerto Rico —or public corporations (Spanish: corporaciones públicas)— are a set of corporate entities owned entirely or in large part by the executive branch of the government of Puerto Rico or by its municipalities. The corporations engage in commercial activities with their revenues ultimately being allocated towards the government's treasury —the Puerto Rico Consolidated Fund— or towards the corresponding municipal treasury. Some of them have been criticized since their creation since they are not profitable and depend on the issue of bonds or large indebtedness to operate, or because they constitute a government monopoly or control a unique asset (such as a port, toll, or land).
As of 2015, the public corporations contributed to more than half of the public debt of Puerto Rico —a factor that contributed significantly to the Puerto Rican government-debt crisis— with COFINA, PRASA, PRHTA, and PREPA being the largest holders.
Owned by the executive branchEdit
Owned by municipalitiesEdit
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Name in English||Abbreviation in English||Name in Spanish||Abbreviation in Spanish||Industry|
|Ponce Port Authority[b]||PPA||Autoridad del Puerto de Ponce||APP||Transportation|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2012)
- In legal terms there are only 51 corporations owned by the executive branch. In reality however, the Ponce Port Authority is still owned by the executive branch even though it was legally transferred to the municipality of Ponce. This increases the number of corporations owned by the executive branch to 51 in practice.
- Méndez, Jesús; Chevres, Jaysel (2011), Comprehensive Annual Financial Report Year Ended June 30, 2011 (PDF), Department of Treasury of Puerto Rico, pp. 71–83, retrieved 25 November 2012
- "Directorio de Agencias" (in Spanish). Government of Puerto Rico. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "Estructura Funcional del Gobierno de Puerto Rico" (PDF) (in Spanish). Puerto Rico Office of Management and Budget. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Marxuach, Sergio (February 11, 2013). "Repensando la AEE" (in Spanish). Center for the New Economy. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
Realidad de Hoy: 51 corporaciones públicas, $42,000 millones en deuda[…]
- (PDF) (in Spanish). Government of Puerto Rico http://www.gdb-pur.com/economy/documents/AE2013_T29.pdf. Retrieved February 25, 2015. Missing or empty
- "Sin cabeza el Puerto de Las Américas". La Perla del Sur (in Spanish). December 6, 2012. Paragraph 10. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
Actualmente, la APA es titular de la mayoría de los activos del Puerto de Las Américas[ ... ]