List of current Indian chief ministers
In the Republic of India, a chief minister is the head of government of each of twenty-nine states and two union territories (Delhi and Puducherry). According to the Constitution of India, at the state-level, the governor is de jure head, but de facto executive authority rests with the chief minister. Following elections to the state legislative assembly, the governor usually invites the party (or coalition) with a majority of seats to form the government. The governor appoints the chief minister, whose council of ministers are collectively responsible to the assembly. Given he has the assembly's confidence, the chief minister's term is usually for a maximum of five years; there are no limits to the number of terms he or she can serve.
Since June 2018, the office of Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir has been vacant; President's rule is in force there. Of the thirty incumbents, only one is a woman—Mamata Banerjee in West Bengal. Serving since March 2000 (for 19 years, 129 days), Odisha's Naveen Patnaik has the longest incumbency. Amarinder Singh (b. 1942) of Punjab is the oldest chief minister while Arunachal Pradesh's Pema Khandu (b. 1979) is the youngest. Twelve incumbents belong to the Bharatiya Janata Party and five to the Indian National Congress; no other party has more than one chief minister in office.
Current Indian chief ministersEdit
|Colour key for parties|
- This column names only the chief minister's party. The ministry (s)he heads may be a complex coalition of several parties and independents; those are not listed here.
- Although Delhi and Puducherry each have an elected legislature and a council of ministers (headed by the chief minister), they are officially union territories.
- President's rule is imposed after the mandatory Governor's rule as per the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. 1960. 20th edition, 2011 reprint. pp. 241, 245. LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa Nagpur. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9.
- "Meet Pema Khandu: India’s youngest Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 July 2016.
- Chief Ministers. India.gov.in. Retrieved on 9 July 2019.
- "Jagan Mohan Reddy takes oath as Andhra Pradesh CM". The Economic Times. Press Trust of India. 30 May 2019.
- "Pema Khandu sworn in as Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh". The Hindu. 17 July 2016.
- "BJP forms govt in Arunachal Pradesh". The Hindu. 31 December 2016.
- "Sarbananda Sonowal sworn in as first BJP CM of Assam". The Hindu. 24 May 2016.
- Kumar, Arun (27 July 2017). "Grand Alliance to NDA: Nitish Kumar changes partner, continues as Bihar CM". Hindustan Times. Patna. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Bhupesh Baghel sworn in as Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh". The Hindu. 17 December 2018.
- Smriti Kak Ramachandran, Shubhomoy Sikdar. "Kejriwal promises to make Delhi graft-free in 5 years". The Hindu. 14 February 2015.
- Murari Shetye. "Goa speaker Pramod Sawant succeeds Parrikar as CM" The Times of India. 19 March 2019.
- Mahesh Langa. "Vijay Rupani sworn in; Gujarat Cabinet bears Shah’s stamp". The Hindu. 7 August 2016.
- Sarabjit Pandher. "Khattar sworn in". The Hindu. 26 October 2014.
- "Jai Ram Thakur sworn in as Himachal Chief Minister". The Indian Express. 27 December 2017.
- . "President’s Rule Imposed in Jammu and Kashmir". The Quint. 20 December 2018.
- "President’s Rule Imposed in Jammu and Kashmir". The Quint. 20 December 2018.
- Amarnath Tewary. "Raghuvar Das assumes office as CM". The Hindu. 28 December 2014.
- "Kumaraswamy sworn in; floor test tomorrow". The Hindu. 23 May 2018.
- C. Gouridasan Nair. "Pinarayi takes charge as Kerala Chief Minister". The Hindu. 25 May 2016.
- "Kamal Nath sworn in as Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 December 2018.
- Priyanka Kakodkar. "Uddhav attends Fadnavis swearing-in". The Hindu. 31 October 2014.
- Isha Gupta. "BJP leader Biren Singh sworn in as Manipur Chief Minister". India Today. 15 March 2017.
- Shiv Sahay Singh. "Conrad Sangma sworn-in as Meghalaya CM". The Hindu. 6 March 2018.
- Rahul Karmakar. "Zoramthanga sworn in Mizoram Chief Minister". The Hindu. 15 December 2018.
- Rahul Karmakar. "Neiphiu Rio takes charge as Nagaland Chief Minister again". The Hindu. 8 March 2018.
- N. Ramdas. "Naveen Govt. installed". The Hindu. 6 March 2000.
- "Puducherry: V Narayanasamy sworn in as Chief Minister". The Indian Express. 6 June 2016.
- "Amarinder Singh sworn in as Punjab CM". The Hindu. 17 March 2017.
- "Rajasthan: Gehlot, Pilot sworn in as CM, Deputy CM". The Hindu. 17 December 2018.
- Shiv Sahay Singh. "P.S. Golay sworn in as Sikkim Chief Minister". The Hindu. 27 May 2019.
- T. Ramakrishnan. "Edappadi Palaniswami sworn in as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 February 2017.
- K. Srinivas Reddy. "KCR sworn in; heads cabinet of 11 ministers". The Hindu. 2 June 2014.
- Rahul Karmakar. "Biplab Kumar Deb sworn in as Tripura CM". The Hindu. 9 March 2018.
- "Yogi Adityanath takes oath as Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister". The Hindu. 19 March 2017.
- Kavita Upadhyay. "Trivendra Singh Rawat takes oath as Uttarakhand Chief Minister". The Hindu. 18 March 2017.
- "Mamata, 37 Ministers sworn in". The Hindu. 21 May 2011.