List of aviation shootdowns and accidents during the Syrian Civil War
During the course of the Syrian Civil War avition shootdowns and accidents have taken place between different actors, according to Strategy Page, by mid 2013, nearly a hundred fixed wing and over a hundred helicopters were lost. Some 400 aircrew was killed, captured, or missing. In September 2014, the Syrian Revolution General Commission (SRGC) claimed that since the conflict began the Syrian military lost 37 helicopters and 24 jets. Of these, 40 aircraft were shot down and the other 21 were destroyed in opposition attacks on military airports. Public observation via Google Earth of Syrian airfields shows a decreasing number of air-frames parked in the open in contrast to the increasing number of recorded air sorties. The hubs of Syrian Air Force basing activity during the Syrian Civil War have been the airfields at Aleppo, Damascus, Latakia and Hama; however, it is not possible to independently verify this information.
|Year||Air Force personnel||Combat aircraft||Attack helicopters|
However, most of the virtual losses can actually be attributed to paper write-offs: usually when an armed confrontation starts, the paper numbers about the national armed forces circulating before the war account for several vehicles which were actually abandoned or not serviced or in a general poor maintenance status. In the Syrian example, MiG-23MS, older MiG-21 versions, Su-20 (which is an older variant of the active Su-22), nearly all the MiG-25 and several other air-frames were already in disrepair before the war started.
Also, the number of motivated personnel who will join the fight when the nation slides into a war is usually much smaller than the initial paper number. This is even more relevant when talking about armed forces based on conscription engaged in a civil war.
This explains the sharp drop in vehicles and soldiers, way beyond the actual number of combat losses in most occasions. The same could be observed for the Iraqi Armed Forces during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Libyan Armed Forces during the Libyan Civil War (2011) and the Ukrainian Armed Forces during the War in Donbass.
Thanks to external support by Iran and Russia, the combat readiness of the Syrian Arab Air Force actually increased over the years of the civil war, with the resources being rationalized towards useful assets and wider availability of service and parts for the remaining air-frames.
As usual during an armed confrontation, it is impossible to determine the cause of every single crash, since nearly always the opposing party claims the aircraft was shot down by their forces while the side flying the aircraft blames it to accidental causes. In some instances, even the presence of a video does not clarify what happened, since a flash may be due to an antiaircraft shell or an engine explosion.
The list below includes both manned and unmanned aircraft.
- 20 June 2012 – A SyAAF Mil Mi-8 helicopter was shot down over Idlib.
- 22 June 2012 – A Turkish RF-4E Phantom reconnaissance aircraft was shot down by the Syrian Arab Air Defense over the sea near the Turkish-Syrian border while on mission. Both pilots were killed.
- 13 August 2012 – The first loss of a Syrian Arab Air Force fixed-wing aircraft was recorded on 13 August 2012 when a MiG-23 was filmed catching fire in flight, while automatic gunfire was heard on the background while the fighter aircraft was flying at low altitude in a level flight. The pilot ejected, and was captured and interrogated by the rebels on video.
- 25 August 2012 – A Syrian L-39 Albatros Jet crash after ground attack mission on Idlib.
- 27 August 2012 – The first video recorded combat loss of a helicopter came on 27 August 2012: a video recorded a burning Mi-8 or Mi-17 helicopter spiraling to the ground over Damascus, possibly hit by a ZU-23-2 antiaircraft gun.
- 30 August 2012 – The first loss of a MiG-21, tail number 2271, recorded. It was likely downed on takeoff or landing at Abu Dhuhur air base, under siege by rebels, by heavy machine gun fire.
- 4 September 2012 – A second MiG-21, tail number 2280, was shot down and recorded on video. It was likely downed on takeoff or landing at Abu Dhuhur air base, under siege by rebels, by KPV 14.5 mm machine gun fire.
- 5 October 2012 – Syrian rebels shooting down a Syrian Army Mi-8 helicopter.
- 13 October 2012 – Loss of an L-39ZA Albatros, possibly by 23 millimeter anti-aircraft fire, near Khan al-Asal with the crew, Lt. Col. Haitham Ismail Zhuneida and Lt. Mohammed Salman Mohammed, being killed as they ejected at low altitude.
- 15 October 2012 – A L-39 Albatros was downed near al-Taana in the east of Aleppo by rebel ground fire. Both pilots, Cap. Roni Ibrahim and Maj. Moti Shaaban Abbas, ejected and were captured. An Al Jazeera reporter, which reported the aircraft as a "MiG", managed to interview Ibrahim, while Abbas is said to have died in captivity. Ibrahim showed signs of having brawled with his captors and denied previous knowledge of Syrian civilians being targeted by airstrikes.
- 17 October 2012 – A Mi-8 helicopter was shot down over Damascus, dramatically exploding in midair. It was likely hit by heavy machine gun fire with some of its improvised aerial barrel bombs exploding.
- 5 November 2012 – A SyAAF Mi-17, tail number 2968, was shot down by Al-Farouq Battalions AA fire and crashed inside Tadmor AB. The fate of the crew is unknown, although some unconfirmed reports stated that 11 personnel were killed in this incident.
- 28 November 2012 – A video showing the crash site of a large jet fighter was posted with rebels claiming they shot it down with an 9K310 Igla-1 MANPADS. The heavily burned out aircraft wreck has been identified as a Su-24MK2, being the first downed Syrian Air Force Su-24.
- 5 December 2012 – A SyAAF Mil Mi-8 attack helicopter is shot down by Syrian rebels over Anjara.
- 5 December 2012 – A SyAAF Mil Mi-8 helicopter crew was captured after it was shot down in Abu Kamal by Syrian rebels.
- 5 January 2013 – A SyAAF Mil Mi-8 downed near Taftanaz air base in Idlib.
- (5) 11 January 2013 – The Free Syrian Army units invaded Taftanaz AB. At least 5 helicopters were completely destroyed, including an Mi-25.
- 3 February 2013 – SyAAF Mil Mi-8 downed in Mansoura area near Al Tabaqa town in Raqqa province.
- 5 February 2013 – A SyAAF MiG-23 destroyed on ground during al-Nusra Front attack Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in Idlib.
- 14 February 2013 – The first confirmed loss of a Sukhoi Su-22 was recorded, when rebel forces shot it down using a MANPADS launcher.
- 25 February 2013 – SyAAF Mil Mi-8 helicopter shot down by rebels near Mennegh Air Base, close to the border with Turkey using a FN-6 MANPADS.
- March 2, 2013 – A Syrian Arab Air Force MI-17 was shot down near Hhalb by the Free Syrian Army, fate of the crew is unknown and it appears that the helicopter was brought down by a MANPADS.
- 12 April 2013 – A SyAAF supply helicopter Mil Mi-17 that was ferrying food and supplies to trapped soldiers in Wadi is shot down.
- 4 March 2013 – Rebels shoot down Mil Mi-17 helicopter near Menagh airbase by Aleppo, causing a massive explosion at the base.
- 25 June 2013 – SyAAF Su-22M-3 Shot Down by Tabqa AFB.
- 18 July 2013 – Syrian rebels bring down a Syrian Arab Army helicopter causing it to explode on impact.
- 18 August 2013 – A Syrian MiG jet fighter (Probably a MIG-23) is shot down by rebel fighters (allegedly by a 9K38 Igla Anti-aircraft weapon) and the pilot ejects from the doomed aircraft in Latakia.
- 10 September 2013 – A SyAAF MiG-21 fighter on fire is filmed crashing down in Idlib. The jet fighter was allegedly brought down by FSA rebel fire.
- 16 September 2013 – A Mil Mi-17 helicopter was shot down by a Turkish Air Force F-16 in Latakia province near Turkish boder. At least part of the crew bailed out of the stricken helicopter while it was spiraling to the ground. They were believed to have been captured and beheaded by Al Qaeda-linked insurgents.
- 4 October 2013 – One Mil Mi-17 helicopter was lost in an air-to-air accident when it hit the tail of a Syrian passenger plane on 28 February 2013, with the airliner landing safely at Damascus airport.
- 16 January 2014 – The insurgents claim shooting down a Syrian Mi-8 or Mi-17 helicopter with a 9K33 Osa SAM system.
- 23 March 2014 – A SyAAF MiG-23 was shot down by a Turkish Air Force F-16, when it allegedly entered Turkish air space during a ground attack mission against Al Qaeda-linked insurgents. The pilot ejected and managed to return to a Syrian Army checkpoint and denies violating Turkish air space. The plane crashed one kilometer inside the Syrian territory.
- 23rd Jun 2014 – A SyAAF MiG-23BN shot Down by Al Muthanna Bin Haretha battalion in the eastern Qalamoun area to the north of Damascus.
- 30 June 2014 – SyAAF pilot Brig.General Bassam Ali Muhammad was shot down during an attack sortie against ground targets in the county of Hama governorate while flying his MiG-21, but both sides did not confirm whether it was brought down by an AA gun or a MANPADS. The aircraft crashed 10 km to the east of Hama AFB as reported by insurgents/rebels observers.
- (3) August 2014 – After the capture of al-Tabqa air force base in Raqqa, the Islamic State displayed three captured combat planes MiG-21 in a propaganda video.
- 18 August 2014 – A SyAAF MiG-23 has either crashed (according to government reports) or was shot down (as per reports of rebels). The aircraft, tail number 617, based in Hama AFB, was actually an MF variant and piloted by Major Aref Amin Bsesini (born in 1984) who died in the crash.
- 12 September 2014 – Syrian militant Sham Legion brigade fired a 9M133 Kornet, destroying a Syrian transport helicopter Mil Mi-17 after landing at a military airbase in Idlib Governorate.
- 18 September 2014 – The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed that it shot down a war plane (probably MiG-21) conducting an airstrike on Raqqa city.
- 23 September 2014 – One SyAAF Su-24 was shot down by an Israeli Air Force MIM-104 Patriot missile system, when it allegedly crossed the Syrian-Israeli ceasefire line during a ground attack mission against Al Qaeda insurgents.
- (2) 21 October 2014 – Syrian minister of information Omran al-Zoubi claimed Syrian air force fighters had shot down two jets flown by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant as they attempted to land at Jirah Military Airbase. Media reports had claimed ISIS was flying three captured Syrian jets, variously identified as MiG-21s, MiG-23s or L-39s. A brief video posted by the group claimed to show one of the jets in flight.
- 21 October 2014 – Syrian rebels used a TOW missile to destroy a SyAAF L-39ZA sitting on a runway at the Aleppo airport.
- 10 November 2014 – A Syrian MiG-21bis, tail number 2204, operating from Hama AFB and piloted by Col. Tha'er Aref Saqqour was downed 45 km to the east of the airbase near Sabboura town. A graphic photo emerged showing the corpse of the pilot who was KIA.
- 12 November 2014 – A SyAAF MiG-23 fighter took a direct hit from a Syrian rebel TOW missile at the Aleppo airport.
- 30 November 2014 – A USAF F-16CJ departing for a night combat mission against the Islamic State had a mechanical malfunction shortly after takeoff. The plane crashed and the pilot was killed.
- 21 December 2014 – Syrian sources claimed an Israeli Skylark UAV crashed in Quneitra during a reconnaissance mission. The IDF said it had no knowledge of a UAV in the area at the time but photos of the drone released showed an Israeli Skylark UAV.
- 24 December 2014 – A Royal Jordanian Air Force F-16AM crashed near Raqqa, Syria, and its pilot, Flight Lieutenant Muath al-Kasasbeh, was captured by Islamic State militants. Initially reported as shot down by enemy fire, the ISIL reported it downed the F-16 with a MANPADS while it was flying at low altitude. Later, the US CENTCOM rejected the claim, ruling out hostile fire as the cause of the crash, without further details.
- 18 January 2015 – A Syrian Air Force Antonov An-26 transport plane crashed while attempting to land at the besieged Abu al-Duhur military airport, killing all 30 soldiers on board. The cause of the crash was disputed, with the government blaming the crash to heavy fog while Al-Nusra claiming they shot it down it.
- 30 January 2015 – ISIS claimed it shot down a Syrian Air Force fighter MiG-21bis in Bir Qassab area of Damascus.
- 17 February 2015 – A SyAAF helicopter was reportedly downed by the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front over a military base in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- 17 March 2015 – A US MQ-1 Predator drone was shot down by a Syrian Air Defense Force S-125 missile while on intelligence flight near the coastal town of Latakia.
- 22 March 2015 – A Syrian Navy Mil Mi-14 helicopter crashed or was downed over opposition held rural Idlib. At least one crew member was summarily executed on the spot, four were taken captive, and one remains unaccounted for.
- 20 April 2015 – A SyAAF L-39 operating from Kweres AFB crashed near the Military Housing due to a technical failure resulting in the death of the co-pilot Captain Ali Zaher while the pilot ejected safely and was returned to base.
- 24 April 2015 – ISIS downed a Syrian MiG-23ML flying east of Khalkhalah air base in Sweida province. Pro-ISIS Twitter accounts claimed jihadist groups had captured the pilot, but later evidence suggested the pilot, Hassan Mohamed Mahmoud, shot himself to avoid capture. Syrian television reported that the aircraft crashed due to "technical problems" on a training exercise and that the search for the pilot was ongoing.
- May 2015 – One Su-24M2 was heavily damaged by anti-aircraft fire and crashed while returning to base. Both the pilot and navigator ejected safely.
- 16 May 2015 – Two Turkish Air Force F-16s shot down a Syrian Mohajer 4 UAV firing two AIM-9 missiles after it trespassed into Turkish airspace for 5 minutes. Witnesses on the ground reported seeing the target after being hit by the chasing F-16s breaking in three pieces before crashing on the Syrian side of the border. Initially Turkey claimed it was a helicopter, but later confirmed it was an UAV.
- (2) 20 May 2015 – During the Tadmur offensive (2015), ISIL captured Tadmur airbase. Two Mi-17s were found destroyed on the runway, and analysts suspected many MiGs were stored in the base; however, most if not all of them are in a derelict status.
- 24 May 2015 – A Syrian military Mi-17 helicopter crashed near the Kweyris air base in Aleppo, which ISIL has besieged for over a year. All the crew composed of three people died. While the government claimed it crashed due to technical failure, ISIL sources claimed it was shot down.
- (2) 28 May 2015 – Two Su-24s were believed to have been destroyed on the ground, while being rearmed, during which an explosion occurred, resulting in the death of at least five and wounding another dozen.
- 11 June 2015 – A SyAAF Su-24 exploded in midair and crashed in the eastern countryside of Dara'a near Nahta village. While the Southern Front of the Free Syrian Army brigade Yarmouk Army claimed they shot it down when passing over the Brigade 52 base with 23mm AA fire, the damage suggests a midair weapon explosion as the cause of the crash. The Syrian Media Organisation captured footage of the Su-24 going down.
- 13 June 2015 – Around 00:25 in the morning, a SyAAF Mil Mi-8/17 (serial number unknown) and piloted by Lieutenant Col. Ahmad Saleh and Lieutenant Col. Muhammad Khaddour, was shot down by ISIS shortly after it took off from Kweres AFB (Aviation Academy). The crew including a third First Lieutenant Humam Ali was killed.
- 25 June 2015 – A SyAAF Mil Mi-25 operating from Blai air base has reportedly crashed in the northern county of Homs governorate near Izz Eddin village, killing the crew. Rebels claimed shooting down the helicopter while government media stated it was another tehnical failure. Crew consisted of Brig. General pilot Samir Al-Shekha, Captain Rami Mustafa and first lieutenant Alaa' ِAhmad Al-Ali .
- 28 June 2015 – A SyAAF MiG-21bis (serial number unknown) operating from Deir EzZour airbase and piloted by Brig. General Suheil Omran, crashed to the east of the airfield, killing the pilot. ISIS reports stated that the aircraft is shot down by AA fire.
- 3 August 2015 – A Syrian Air Force MiG-21bis, departed from Hama Air Force base, crashed into a marketplace in the north-western town of Ariha during a bombing run when the pilot could not pull up after bomb release. The pilot died in the crash and several others were killed on the ground.
- 26 August 2015 – A SyAAF L-39 piloted by Col. Mazen Ghanm fell down due to a technical failure and crashed to the south of the airbase resulting in the death of the pilot.
- 15 September 2015 – A Syrian Mi-17 helicopter was shot down when it was hit by a MANPADS shortly after takeoff. A first shot strayed away, while a second missile shot the aircraft down killing the crew.
- 17 September 2015 – A Syrian Air Force Sukhoi Su-22M4 crashed near the Jazal Oil Field area. Insurgents claimed they shot it down.
- 8 October 2015 – A SyAAF helicopter was downed near the village of Kafr Nabouda in northern Hama.
- 16 October 2015 – An Orlan-10 Russian made (UAV) was downed by a Turkish F-16, after it had violated the Turkish airspace, near borders with Latakia.
- 4 November 2015 – A Syrian MiG-23, was downed by AA fire in northwest Hama, near the town of Kafr Nabuda, where fighting has been raging between insurgents and government forces backed by air cover. The pilot was killed in action.
- 24 November 2015 – A Russian Sukhoi Su-24M was shot down by a Turkish Air Force F-16 near the Syria–Turkey border, with both sides arguing about the actual position of the stricken aircraft, either hit on the Turkish or Syrian side of the border. Both crew members ejected, the pilot killed by ground fire while descending while the Weapon System Officer rescued by a CSAR mission.
- 24 November 2015 – Two Russian Mi-8AMTsh helicopters were sent to find and recover the pilots from the crash site of the Su-24M downed before. One of the helicopters was damaged by small-arms fire from Syrian Turkmen Brigade militants, resulting in the death of a naval infantryman, and was forced to make an emergency landing. All the surviving crew of the helicopter were rescued and evacuated later on. The Free Syrian Army's 1st Coastal Division claimed that they subsequently destroyed the abandoned helicopter using a US-made BGM-71 TOW missile.
- 12 March 2016 – A Syrian MiG-21 was shot down by Jaysh al-Nasr over Hama near Kafr Nabudah. There were conflicting accounts of how it was brought down, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported the warplane had been downed by two heat-seeking missiles, while Jaysh al-Nasr militants say they shot it down with anti-aircraft guns. Video evidence suggesting it was a MANPADS. Pilot ejected, but died, either killed by ground fire while descending or by other causes.
- 5 April 2016 – The al-Nusra Front reportedly downed a Su-22 jet likely using a MANPADS in Aleppo near al-Eiss village while on a reconnaissance mission. The pilot was captured by rebel forces. Some sources state that the plane was actually downed by Ahrar Al-Sham, a coalition of Islamist and Salafist units, and handed the pilot to Al-Qaeda affiliated Al-Nusra.
- 12 April 2016 – A Russian Air Force Mil Mi-28N, crashed near Homs, killing its crew of two. The Russian government ruled out enemy fire as the reason of the crash.
- 22 April 2016 – A Syrian MiG-23ML of No. 67 squadron piloted by Capt. Azzam Eid and operating from Al-Dumayr Military Airport, tail number 2754, crashed to the east of Tal Dakwa mountains in the eastern countryside of Damascus. An engine failure was blamed to be the cause of the crash according to the Syrian Armed Forces, while the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed it was shot down with an Anti Aircraft weapon, but apparently did not claim responsibility. The pilot ejected and was likely captured by enemy forces.
- 19 June 2016 – A Syrian MiG-21 crashed shortly after takeoff at Hama airbase, killing its pilot and two people on the ground on impact. The aircraft, apparently a MiG-21bis variant, came down to a technical failure shortly after takeoff during which the pilot reported a technical problem.
- 27 June 2016 – A Syrian MiG-23BN crashed killing its pilot.
- 1 July 2016 – A Syrian Su-22M3 crashed near Jairood town in the Qalamoun region due to what the local insurgents themselves described as "technical failure". The pilot was captured by Jaish Al-Islam and later executed.
- 1 July 2016 – A Syrian Mi-25 was shot down by rebels in Jurud Al-Qalamoun resulting in the death of three crew members.
- 5 July 2016 – A Syrian Arab Air Force MiG-23 from As Seen air base crashed in flames near Maydaa, in Eastern Ghouta, supposedly killing its pilot, Ali Shawkat Soleiman.
- 5 July 2016 – A US General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper crashed in Syria close to Tabqua. The remains of the drone were destroyed in an air-strike to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.
- 8 July 2016 – A Russian Mi-35M crashed after its tail rotor was severed off by an explosion during a rocket attack against ISIL positions near Palmyra. Based on the video, it may have been shot down by Islamic State militants or suffered self-destruction by a misfired roket, a friendly fire theory has also been suggested. Both Russian pilots were killed. According to the statement released by the Russian MoD, it was a Syrian Mi-25 helicopter with a Russian crew undergoing flight testing, but being called into action to attack a large group of insurgents near Palmyra.
- 14 July 2016 – A Syrian MiG-21 crashed in the Deir ez-Zor region, killing its pilot. It is not known if it crashed due to technical issues or shot down by Islamic State forces as they claimed and incorrectly identified the aircraft as a MiG-23.
- 20 July 2016– A SyAAF L-39ZO operating from T4 air base and piloted by Col. Salman Suleiman and 1st Ltnt. Ghadir Eid was shot down by AAA in eastern rural of Hama governorate resulting in the death of both pilots.
- 28 July 2016 – Syrian sources reported that pilot Major Mohammad Suleiman Ismail whom was flying a MiG-23ML took off from Nasriyeh AB and died when his aircraft hit the ground in Qalamoun mounts area.
- 1 August 2016 – A Russian Mi-8AMTSh transport helicopter was shot down by ground fire in the Idlib Governorate while returning to the Khmeimim Air Base. Three crew members and two officers from Russia's Reconciliation Center in Syria were killed on what was a humanitarian mission, according to Russia's Ministry of Defence.
- 2 September 2016 – Rebels released a footage of a TOW ATGM hitting SyAAF Aérospatiale Gazelle while landing on an airstrip near Khattab in Northern Hama. The helicopter exploded in mid-air and both pilots were killed.
- 4 September 2016 – A SyAAF L-39 crashed nearby Sadad town, around 50 km to the south of Homs city. The pilot died in the crash. It is not clear whether the jet crashed for technical malfunction or was shot down.
- 18 September 2016 – ISIS fighters succeeded in shooting down a SyAAF MiG-21 which crashed at Al-Thardah mount area near Deir ez-Zor air base, killing the pilot.
- 21 September 2016 – ISIS fighters claimed shooting down a SyAAF plane, according to testimonies registered on social networks it is a MiG-23 fighter planethat has wrecked near the airbase of Al-Dumayr, 40 kilometers from the capital.
- 3 November 2016 – A Russian Mi-35 made an emergency landing near Syria's Palmyra city, and was hit and destroyed - possibly by an unguided recoilless weapon at after it touched down, but the crew returned safely to the Khmeimim air base.
- 14 November 2016 – A MiG-29KUB crashed en route back to the carrier following a planned mission over Syria after a previous MiG landing on the Admiral Kuznetsov snapped one of its arrestor cables which prevented the aircraft from landing before running out of fuel. Pilot ejected and survived.
- 3 December 2016 – A SyAAF L-39 operating from Neyrab air base crashed nearby the citadel of Aleppo. The crash most likely occurred due to a technical failure; both pilots were killed.
- 3 December 2016 – The Russian Navy's Admiral Kuznetsov air wing suffered its second loss in less than a month when a Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker-D combat aircraft crashed into the sea after the plane snapped the arrestor cable. Pilot ejected and survived.
- 10 December 2016 – A Syrian Air Force MiG-23MLD crashed in Hayyan field in eastern rural are of Homs governorate; the pilot ejected and was recovered by friendly forces. Government media claimed plane crashed because of a technical failure while ISIS are claimed they shot it down.
- 19 December 2016 – A SyAAF Aérospatiale Gazelle was shot down by ISIS in T4 air base surroundings. The Gazelle was piloted by Brig. Gen. Khedr Al-Hussain and Major Abbas Yunes, both were killed.
- (2) 6 January 2017 – Two SyAAF L-39ZA were destroyed while parked in their shelters at Deir ez-Zor airbase by two anti-tank missiles fired by IS forces besieging the airport.
- 5 February 2017 – A SyAAF Su-22M3 operating from Neyrab AB and piloted by Lieutenant Col. Bassel Saleh crashed on the approach to land in the said airfield resulting in the death of the pilot.
- 4 March 2017 – A SyAAF MiG-21bis from No. 679 squadron operating from Hama AB and piloted by Col. Mohammad Sawfan was shot down by rebels and subsequently crashed in Turkish territory nearby the borders; the pilot in question has successfully ejected but been arrested and taken to a hospital in Antakya. The pilot returned to service recently and this mission was his first sortie after suspension years before. A recording of the last conversation between the pilot and the ground controller, clearly shows the pilot disorientation due to a technical failure with a malfunctioning compass first then the whole navigation system. After that the pilot could not recognize his way back to base, as requested by the ground controller and ended under range of AAA of Ahrar Al-Sham rebels.
- 20 March 2017 - An Israeli Skylark UAV crashed in Quneitra during a reconnaissance mission.
- (9) – (20) 7 April 2017 – A U.S. attack allegedly destroyed several aircraft on the ground at Shayrat Air Base. Initial reports from Russian sources said 9 planes (all would be of the model MiG-23) were destroyed while U.S. sources said "approximately 20".
- 16 April 2017 – 40 Grad rockets were fired by Jaysh al-Izza and Jaysh al-Nasr at Hama airbase. The airbase was temporarily put out of action, and amongst the damage caused to it, Jaysh Al-Nasr made a claim that at least one MiG-21 were destroyed on the ground.
- 27 April 2017 – A Syrian UAV was shot down by an Israeli Air Force MIM-104 Patriot Air Defense system which fired two missiles against the target.
- 27 May 2017 - One RQ-21A UAV was reported shot down over Tartus.
- 5 June 2017 – A SyAAF MiG-21, tail number 2797, operating from Dmeyr air base and piloted by Brig. General Kamil Ahmad Smita was shot down by insurgents and the pilot died after being shot by ground fire after ejecting, the plane crashed in Tal Dakwa area (around 30 km to the south east of Dmeyr AB).
- 8 June 2017 – An Iranian IRGC armed drone Shahed 129 was shot down by Coalition Forces In Syria. U.S. Army Colonel Ryan Dillon, the spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR), the top American task force leading the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, announced the incident in talking to the press on June 8, 2017. The apparent attack had occurred earlier the same day and U.S. F-15E Strike Eagle fighters had responded by shooting down the pilotless plane.
- 18 June 2017 – a SyAAF government plane was shot down by a U.S. aircraft. US military confirmed a U.S. F/A-18E Super Hornet (AJ302) shot down a Syrian government Sukhoi Su-22 after it dropped bombs near U.S.-led coalition-partnered SDF fighters over the village of Ja' Din, south of Tabqa using an AIM-9X Sidewinder that missed, apparently lured away by decoy flares from the Su-22, then an AIM-120 AMRAAM. The Syrian pilot ejected successfully.
- 20 June 2017 – A U.S. F-15E Strike Eagle intercepted and shot down an armed Iranian IRGC Shahed 129 drone near al-Tanf, southern Syria, after threatening U.S. ground forces. This is the second Iranian drone shot down by U.S.-led coalition forces over Syria in a month.
- 21 June 2017 – A SyAAF Mi-8/17 Hip helicopter crashed after takeoff from the airport of Qamishli, as a result of a technical malfunction. Other sources reported it was damaged over Deir Ez-zor by IS anti aircraft fire and the pilot managed to fly back to Qamishli and crash land. The crew survived.
- 2 July 2017 – ISIS terrorists succeeded in destroying a SyAAF Mi-17 immediately after landing at the area of Al Assad Hospital at the western part of Deir EzZour city by targeting it by an ATGM. The helicopter in question was said to be delivering food and medication from Qamishli with four persons on board, all reported killed.
- 15 August 2017 – A Syrian MiG 23BN piloted by lieutenant colonel Ali Al Helw was shot down by Jaysh Usud al-Sharqiya near the border with Jordan, reportedly with a ZU-23-2 or 0.50 DSHK heavy machine gun. Ali Al Helw ejected, and was captured by rebel forces. He was returned to the Syrian government along with 30 soldiers on August 31.
- 16 September 2017 – A Syrian helicopter (probably Mil Mi-24) was shot down by Islamic State militants in Deir Ezzor.
- 29 September 2017 – A U.S. Marine Corps Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey crashed in Syria.
- 19 September 2017 – A Hezbollah intelligence drone was shot down as it tried infiltrating Israel through the Golan border by an Israeli Air Force MIM-104 Patriot Air Defense system.
- 6 October 2017 – A Russian Mil Mi-28N made an emergency landing in the east of Hama province, south side of Sheikh Helal, with no casualties. Ground fire was ruled out by Russian MoD as the reason of the accident.
- 10 October 2017 – A Russian Su-24 crashed during takeoff at Khmeimim Air Base, Latakia province, supposedly due to technical malfunction. Both crew members died in the crash.
- (4) 13 November 2017 – IS militants disguised as Russian soldiers infiltrated the Syrian Air Base at Deir EzZour and targeted the local fleet of L-39 light attack jets. Subsequent satellite evidence showed that four out of ten SyAAF L-39 were destroyed on the ground.
- 22 November 2017 – SyAAF L-39 crashed on the approach to land after receiving ground fire during attack sortie in Deir EzZour. The two pilots Major Ali Mustafa and Cpt. Sulaiman Yunes were killed.
- 1 December 2017 – A Syrian Arab Air Force MI-24 was shot down by rebel ground fire near Beit Jinn, the crew of three died.
- 27 December 2017 – A Syrian Arab Air Force L-39 was shot down by rebel Igla MANPADS near Hama, the pilot ejected and survived, but was later executed.
- 31 December 2017 – A Russian Air Force MI-24 crashed due to hitting power lines in Hama province, 2 of the 3 crew died.
- 31 December 2017 – The Russian news agency Kommersant reported that at least seven Russian planes were destroyed or damaged by rebel shelling of Hmeymim air base and that two Russian soldiers died in the attack and another 10 were wounded. At least four Su-24 bombers, two Su-35S fighters and an An-72 transport plane, as well as an ammunition depot, were destroyed by the shelling, Kommersant said on its website, citing two "military-diplomatic" sources. Russian MoD later denied information about planes destruction. Leaked photos showed the planes were only damaged and some of them were repaired few days after the attack.
- 3 February 2018 – A Russian Su-25, on a patrol mission over Syria's province of Idlib was shot down by rebel forces, presumably by a missile fired from a MANPADS. Uploaded videos showed the jet was part of a two-ship formation flying at low-to-medium altitude, with the downed aircraft separating and diving to perform a rocket attack. While pulling up after deploying air to ground rockets without deploying defensive flares, the Su-25 is hit by the missile. Responsibility was claimed by Tahrir al-Sham (the former Jabhat al-Nusra) and Jaysh al-Nasr, which is affiliated with the Free Syrian Army. The pilot Maj Roman Filipov ejected and landed near Tell Debes but blew himself up with a grenade to avoid capture after a firefight.
- 10 February 2018 – An Iranian IRGC Saegheh reconnaissance drone, was shot down by an Israeli AH-64 Apache helicopter over the northern town of Beit Shean, the Israeli military said.
- 10 February 2018 – An Israeli Air Force F-16I was shot down and crashed in Israeli occupied Golan Heights when it was hit by a S-200 missile fired by the Syrian Air Defense. Both pilots ejected and heavily wounded landed in Israel. The F-16I was part of a bombing mission against Syrian and Iranian targets around Damascus after an Iranian drone entered in the Israeli air space and was shot down. The downed F 16 landed in the golan heights occupied by Israel. It was first F 16 kill by Syria.
- 10 February 2018 – A Turkish Air Force T129 ATAK helicopter was shot down by YPG in Kırıkhan district of Hatay province, close to Afrin Canton, killing its two pilots.
- 12 February 2018 – A Turkish Air Force Bayraktar Tactical UAS unmanned aerial drone shot down by the Kurdish forces in Qude village in the district of Rajo in the Afrin region.
- 6 March 2018 – A Russian military transport airplane Antonov An-26 crashed while landing at Khmeimim Airbase. Six crew members as well as 33 passengers, all of them military personnel, were killed in the crash.
- 18 March 2018 – A Syrian Arab Air Force Su-24 was shot down by rebels in Eastern Qalamoon mountains, crashing in friendly territory. The fate of the crew is unknown. A video emerged showing at least one of the pilots ejecting succefully.
- 3 May 2018 – A Russian Su-30SM crashed into the Mediterranean sea after taking off from the Khmeimim air base. According to preliminary reports, it suffered a bird strike. Both pilots were killed in the crash.
- 7 May 2018 - A Russian Ka-52 helicopter crashed during a routine flight over eastern regions of the Syrian Arab Republic. Both pilots were killed.
- 19 June 2018 - An Israeli Skylark UAV crashed in Hader during a reconnaissance mission.
- 11 July 2018 - A Syrian Arab Armed Forces' UAV was shot down above the Sea of Galilee by a Patriot missile. The UAV crossed 10 km into Israeli territory from Syria after flying over Jordan.
- 11 July 2018 – A Syrian Forpost UAV was found on July 12 in a field close to the village of Barqah, about 12 kilometres far from the Israeli side of the Golan heights but none among the belligerents claimed the shot down nor the loss.
- 24 July 2018 – A Syrian Arab Air Forces Su-22M4 jet that took off from the T4 Homs air base to partake in campaign against Islamic State was shot down by the Israeli Air Force’s 138th Battalion's battery missiles after having issued several radio warnings in multiple languages when it allegedly crossed the 1974 Syrian-Israeli ceasefire line by around 2 kilometers. The Syrian government denies it crossed the limit claiming the jet being hit over Syrian territory. The pilot, Col. ‘Umran Mare (or Omran Muri), from Tartous, was killed while the fate of an alleged co-pilot remains unknown as reported by Russian media Sputnik that cited a Syrian military source. The fighter jet was part of the government offensive to retake rebel and ISIL held areas on the border with Israel and Jordan and the wreckage crashed in the area controlled by Islamic State in the northwestern corridor of the Yarmouk Basin.
- 10 September 2018 – A Mi-8 helicopter made an emergency landing near Taybah Atturki helipad and destroyed the tail boom, no one was killed during the crash.
- 17 September 2018 – A Russian Ilyushin Il-20 reconnaissance plane with 15 personnel was inadvertently shot down by a S-200 missile fired by the Syrian Air Defense.
- 22 March 2019 – Jaysh al-Izza rebel group reportedly downed an Orlan-10 Russian made (UAV), using AA ZU-23-2, over the opposition-held part of the northern Hama countryside.
- 15 June 2019 – A Russian Orlan-10 was shot down by FSA forces over Maraanaz, Aleppo Governorate.
- 29 June 2019 – Another Russian Orlan-10 was shot down by Rouse the Believers Operations Room Jihadists, using AA over Sahl el Ghab, western Hama countryside.
- 14 August 2019 – Syrian insurgent group Tahrir al-Sham shot down a Sukhoi Su-22 Syrian fighter jet over the southern countryside of the Idlib Governorate. reportedly it was hit by heavy machinegun fire.
- 19 September 2019 – Syrian Arab Air Defense Forces reported the downing of an enemy drone in the town of Aqraba. Other sources hinted the possibility of an Israeli-operated drone being shot down by Russian aircraft over Syria.
- 21 September 2019 – Syrian Army reported it intercepted a drone suspected of belonging to the Israeli Defense Forces loaded with cluster bombs near the occupied Golan Heights.
- 29 September 2019 – A Russian made Orlan-10 UAV was downed by a Turkish F-16, after it allegedly had violated the Turkish airspace for six times, near the border town of Kilis.
- 18 October 2019 – A Turkish Army helicopter (probably UH-60 Black Hawk) crashed during an operation in the northern region of Syria on Friday. According to the Defense Ministry, the Turkish chopper crashed down near the border city of Ras Al-‘Ayn in Syria’s Al-Hasakah Governorate.
|Aircraft & UAV losses|
|McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II||1 (1 )|
|General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon||3 (1 ,1 ,1 )|
|Aero L-39 Albatros||18 (18 )|
|Aérospatiale Gazelle||2 (2 )|
|Antonov An-26||2 (1 ,1 )|
|Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey||1 (1 )|
|Mil Mi-8 and Mil Mi-17||28 (26 , 2 )|
|Mil Mi-14||1 (1 )|
|Mil Mi-24||9 (2 , 7 )|
|Mi-35||2 (2 )|
|Mil Mi-28||2 (2 )|
|Kamov Ka-52||1 (1 )|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21||15 (15 )|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23||18 (18 )|
|Mikoyan MiG-29K||1 (1 )|
|General Atomics MQ-1 Predator||1 (1 )|
|General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper||1 (1 )|
|Orlan-10||5 (5 )|
|Skylark UAV||3 (3 )|
|Sukhoi Su-22||9 (9 )|
|Sukhoi Su-24||8 (2 , 6 )|
|Sukhoi Su-25||1 (1 )|
|Sukhoi Su-30||1 (1 )|
|Sukhoi Su-33||1 (1 )|
|Shahed 129||2 (2 )|
|Saegheh (UAV)||1 (1 )|
|Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk||1 (1 )|
|TAI/AgustaWestland T129 ATAK||1 (1 )|
|Bayraktar Tactical UAS||1 (1 )|
|RQ-21 Blackjack||1 (1 )|
|Ilyushin Il-20||1 (1 )|
|Unknown/Not identified||4 (2 , 2 )|
- "Attrition: The Destruction Of The Syrian Air Force". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Syrian Conflict 2011 - 2012". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Sylvia, Westall. "Assad's army stretched but still seen strong". The Daily Star. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Highest number of Syria air strikes recorded in July". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Assad regrets downing of Turkish jet, says won't allow open combat with Ankara". alarabiya. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Spencer, Richard (13 August 2012). "Syrian rebels claim to have shot down Bashar al-Assad MiG fighter jet". Londomi-n: Telegraph. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Posted Sep 06, 2012 by vlogger (2012-09-06). "Rebels Shoot Down Another Syrian Jet". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- "The Aviationist » Video: Assad's gunship helicopter shot down by rebel forces in Damascus, Syria". The Aviationist. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "The Boresight". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Brown Moses. "Brown Moses Blog". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Posted Oct 12, 2012 by vlogger (2012-10-12). "Syrian Army Heli Shot Down - 2nd Angle". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- "Traductor de Google". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Syria rebels down fighter jet near Aleppo: watchdog". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "عاجل لحظة إسقاط الطائرة وهبوط الطيار منها بحلب 15/10/2012 - YouTube". YouTube. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Captured Syrian pilot speaks to Al Jazeera. YouTube. 17 October 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Syrian Army Helicopter Explodes Midair". Military.com. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- R.S (2015-06-14). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mi-17 Shot Down (2012-11-05)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Oryx. "Oryx Blog". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Posted Dec 05, 2012 by vlogger (2012-12-05). "Assad Attack Heli Shot Down". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Dec 05, 2012 by vlogger (2012-12-05). "Assad Helicopter Crew Captured". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Jan 09, 2013 by vlogger (2013-01-09). "SAA Helicopter Downed by Rebels". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- R.S (2013-05-03). "Luftwaffe A.S: Photos from SyAAF TAFTANAZ AFB (Part I)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2013-02-27). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mil Mi-8 Downed in Al Raqqa (2013-02-03)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Posted May 10, 2013 by vlogger (2013-05-10). "Aftermath of Downed Syrian MiG". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- "Channel NewsAsia". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- YouTube. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- 9:30PM GMT 25 Feb 2013 (2013-02-25). "Video: Syria: rebels 'shoot down helicopter'". Telegraph. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Apr 12, 2013 by vlogger (2013-04-12). "Assad Helicopter Downed in Wadi". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Mar 04, 2013 by vlogger (2013-03-04). "Flaming SAA Helo Crashes Down". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- R.s (8 November 2014). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Su-22M-3 Shot Down (2013-07-25)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Posted Jul 18, 2013 by vlogger (2013-07-18). "Assad Helicopter Gets Shot Down". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Aug 19, 2013 by vlogger (2013-08-19). "Syrian MiG Shot Down, Pilot Ejects". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Posted Sep 10, 2013 by vlogger (2013-09-10). "Syrian MiG Crashes Down in Idlib". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Fahim, Kareem; Arsu, Sebnem (16 September 2013). "Turkey Says It Shot Down Syrian Military Helicopter Flying in Its Airspace". The New York Times.
- "PICTURES: Circumstances of Syrian A320 collision remain hazy". Flightglobal.com. 4 October 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- 0. "Death toll up in Syria as army helicopter crashes after hitting airliner". english.alarabiya.net. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Oryx. "Oryx Blog". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Al Qaeda-Linked Islamists Capture Christian Town". CBN. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Dramatic moment Syrian jet explodes as it is shot down by Turkish fighter planes for 'violating its airspace'". Daily Mail. London.
- "Turkish F-16 shoots down a Syrian MiG-23". Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- R.S (2014-06-25). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-23BN Shot Down (2014-06-23)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2014-10-26). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21bis Shot Down (2014-06-30)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Dearden, Lizzie. "Islamic State: Isis flaunts captured Syrian fighter jets in video showing massacre". The Independent. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- R.S (2014-10-13). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-23MF Shot Down (2014-08-18)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Posted Sep 12, 2014 by vlogger (2014-09-12). "Kornet ATGM Destroys SAF Helicopter". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- "Islamic State shoots down Syrian war plane -monitor group". Reuters. 23 September 2014.
- R.S (2014-09-16). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21 Shot Down Over Al-Raqqa (2014-09-16)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Raved, Ahiya (23 September 2014). "IDF: Syrian fighter jet shot down over Golan". ynet.co.il.
- "Syria claims it destroyed jets seized by ISIS". Al-Arabiya. October 22, 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "ISIS' alleged fighter jet fleet dwindling?". CBS News. October 22, 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Pandey, Avaneesh (October 17, 2014). "ISIS Takes To The Air, Trains Members To Fly Captured Fighter Jets". International Business Times. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Majumdar, Dave. "U.S. Fighter Jocks Pray The 'ISIS Air Force' Rumors Are True". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Cenciotti, David. "This may be the first video to show an ISIS jet in flight in Syria". The Aviationist. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Posted Oct 22, 2014 by vlogger (2014-10-22). "FSA Destroys MiG-21 on Runway with TOW". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- R.S (2014-11-10). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21bis Shot Down (2014-11-10)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Posted Nov 12, 2014 by vlogger (2014-11-12). "TOW Missile Destroys Syrian MiG Fighter". Military.com. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- "Pilot killed as U.S. F-16 crashes in Jordan". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Jordan pilot ejected over Syria after 'technical failure'". Yahoo News. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "U.S. Central Command - Jordanian Pilot Not Downed by ISIL". centcom.mil. Archived from the original on 15 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Syria conflict: Army 'plane crash' kills 35 soldiers". BBC News. 18 January 2015.
- "Syria's al-Qaida wing: We shot down Syrian army plane carrying food, ammo". The Jerusalem Post - JPost.com. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "IS Shot Down Syrian Jet". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- R.S (2015-01-30). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21bis Shot Down (2015-01-29)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Al-Qaida rebels down Syrian helicopter over Idlib province - The Journal of Turkish Weekly". Archived from the original on 2016-08-16. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "air force lost predator was shot down in syria". airforcetimes. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Weiss, Caleb (22 March 2015). "Al Nusrah Front, allied rebels capture Syrian helicopter crew". The Long War Journal.
- "The Aviationist » Video shows Syrian Navy Mi-14 anti-submarine helicopter (about to) crash land near Idlib". The Aviationist. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- R.S (2015-04-21). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF L-39 Crashed (2015-04-20)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Syrian pilot shoots self to avoid fiery ISIS execution". The Jerusalem Post. 6 June 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
According to Syria's Shaam Times, the incident, which allegedly took place last week, involved a pilot named Hassan Mohamed Mahmoud, 29, who had begun his sortie in a base in As-Suwayda, just north of the Jordanian border.Mahmoud reportedly ejected from his aircraft over Tel Shehab, a town in the Daraa governorate, which is in control of the Islamic State group. Shortly after, Mahmoud committed suicide.
- R.S. "Luftwaffe A.S". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "ISIS Shoots Down Regime Aircraft in Syria". Arutz Sheva. AFP. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Story Of A Syrian Hero - For Mother Syria - Facebook". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- June 29, 2015 (2015-06-29). "Fortress T4: An Airbase at War". bellingcat. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Butler, Desmond (16 May 2015). "Turkey Says It Shot Down Syrian Helicopter". ABC News. AP. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "F-16'ların vurduğu İHA, İran yapımı 'Muhacir'". MİLLİYET HABER - TÜRKİYE'NİN HABER SİTESİ. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Islamic State Captures Tadmur (Palmyra) in New Sudden Streak of Offensives". Bellingcat. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
Two completely destroyed Mi-17s were also found at the airbase.
- "Syria regime helicopter comes down in Aleppo province". TDS. AP. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- R.S. "Luftwaffe A.S". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Perry, Tom (11 June 2015). "Rebels say they shoot down Syrian military jet in south". Reuters. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- هام: إسقاط طائرة ميغ في مدينة بصر الحرير بريف درعا الشرقي (YouTube video) (in Arabic). Daraa, Syria: SMO Syria. 11 June 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- R.S (2015-06-13). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mi-8/17 Shot Down (2015-06-13)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2015-06-26). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mi-25 Shot Down (2015-06-25)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2015-07-02). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21bis Shot Down (2015-06-28)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Syrian government warplane crashes in Idlib province". BBC News. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- R.S (2015-08-27). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF L-39 Crashed (2015-08-26)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S. "Luftwaffe A.S". Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- jack. "Continued clashes and aerial bombardment around Jazal field". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 23 November 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Insurgents shoot down helicopter in Syria's Hama province: monitor". Reuters. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Rebels down government air force plane in western Syria: monitor". Reuters. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Syrian rebels fired on parachuting Russian pilots, killing at least one after Turkey shot down warplane: official". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "One Dead as Russian Mi-8 Helicopter Attacked During Rescue Mission in Syria". Sputnik News. 24 November 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- Yeginsu, Ceylan; MacFarquhar, Neil (24 November 2015). "Turkey Shoots Down Russian Warplane Near Syrian Border". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "4 Russian warships launch 26 missiles against ISIS from Caspian Sea". RT English. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "FSA video claims Russian-made helicopter hit with US-made TOW missile near Su-24 crash site". RT. 24 November 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Rebels shoot down Syrian warplane". Reuters.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21 Shot Down (2016-03-12)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (5 April 2016). "Al-Nusra downs aircraft , captures pilot in Aleppo (Video)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Rebels shoot down second Syrian jet in a month". 5 April 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016 – via Reuters.
- "Syrian Su-22 Fitter shot down by rebels over Aleppo". 5 April 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Webb, Sam (5 April 2016). "Russian-made Syrian regime plane blown out of the sky by rebels". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Mi-28N gunship crashes near Homs, both pilots dead – Russian Defense Ministry". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Syrian warplane 'shot down' after flying over Isis-controlled territory". 22 April 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Sputnik. "Syrian MiG-23 Jet Crashed Near Damascus Likely Due to Technical Failure". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Sputnik. "Syrian Fighter Jet Crashes After Take-Off in Hama Province". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21 Crashed (2016-06-19)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-23BN Crashed (2016-06-27)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Adra, Zen (1 July 2016). "Breaking: Jihadists execute captured pilot". almasdarnews.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Su-22M-3 Crashed (2016-07-01)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mi-25 Shot Down (2016-07-01)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Boring, War Is (6 July 2016). "Syrian Rebel Missileers Are Wreaking Havoc on Bashar Al Assad's Air Force – War Is Boring". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Swarts, Phillip (7 August 2017). "Reaper down: MQ-9 crashes in Syria". airforcetimes.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "2 Russian pilots killed as ISIS shoots down chopper near Palmyra – MoD". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "WATCH: Moment ISIS shoots Russian helicopter out of the sky – killing all on board". 9 July 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21 Crashed (2016-07-14)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "ISIS released footage of the Mig-23 downed and pilot killed in DeirEzzor". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- R.s (21 July 2016). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF L-39ZO Shot Down (2016-07-20)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- R.s (30 July 2016). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-23ML Crashed (2016-07-29)". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Russian helicopter on Aleppo aid mission shot down, all 5 aboard dead (VIDEO)". RT. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "SyAAF SA-342L Gazelle Shot down by Militant TOW – September 2, 2016". LiveLeak.com. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2016-09-05). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF L-39 Crashed (2016-09-04)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.fr. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- R.S (2016-09-18). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21 Shot Down (2016-09-18)". Luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "El Estado Islámico afirma haber derribado un avión del Ejército sirio cerca de Damasco – RT". Actualidad.rt.com. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Russian helicopter downed in Syria – agencies quoting Russia's defence ministry". reuters.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Russian navy jet crashes into the Mediterranean". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Crashed Russian MiG-29 ran out of fuel awaiting repairs, officials say". upi.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- R.s (4 December 2016). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF L-39 Crashed (2016-12-03)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Admiral Kuznetsov loses second aircraft as Su-33 crashes into sea - Jane's 360". www.janes.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "SyAAF MiG-23 Crashed (2016-12-10)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.it. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "The Latest: IS says it shot down Syrian jet near Palmyra". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- R.s (20 December 2016). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF SA 342 Gazelle Shot Down (2016-12-19)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Watch, Defense (7 January 2017). "Video: two Syrian L-39s targeted by ATGM in Deir-ez Zor". defense-watch.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- R.s (6 February 2017). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Su-22M-3 Crashed (2017-02-05)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- R.s (5 March 2017). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF MiG-21bis Shot Down (2017-03-04)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- US investigates possible Russia role in Syria chemical attack, Laura Smith-Spark and Barbara Starr, CNN, April 7, 2017
- "Nine Syrian planes destroyed by US strike on airfield". ITV News. 7 April 2017.
- Cooper, Tom (19 April 2017). "Air Strikes by VKS & SyAAF, 18 April 2017". medium.com. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Haaretz; Cohen, Gili (27 April 2017). "Israel Shoots Down Syrian Drone Over Golan Heights". Retrieved 5 February 2018 – via Haaretz.
- RUSSIAN PANTSIR-S GOES HUNTING IN SYRIAN SKIES
- "SyAAF MiG-23MLD Shot Down (2017-06-05)". Blogspot. 6 June 2017.
- "F-15E Shot Down "Predator-Sized" Drone That Attacked Coalition Forces In Syria". The Drive. 8 June 2017.
- Up close with a US super carrier and the pilots fresh from combat operations.
- Declassified U.S. Navy Footage: U.S. F/A-18 shoots down Syrian SU-22
- Here's The Definitive Account Of The Syrian Su-22 Shoot Down From The Pilots Themselves.
- "COALITION SHOOTS DOWN SYRIAN SU-22 WARPLANE AMIDST ATTACK ON SDF NEAR TABQAH". NRT. 19 June 2017.
- "US fighter jet SHOOTS DOWN Syrian warplane in clash with Putin and Assad". Daily St. 19 June 2017.
- A Different Feeling': Navy Pilots Describe Shooting Down SU-22.
- "Confusion in the Air and on the Ground as U.S. and Syrian Planes Clashed". War Is Boring. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- Eight Minutes Over Syria. Super Hornet Pilots Recall Downing of Syrian Aircraft.
- US F-15E Shoots Down 'Hostile' Predator-Like Drone in Syria.
- "US 'downs Iranian-made drone' over Syria". 20 June 2017. Retrieved 5 February 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "SyAF helicopter crashed after takeoff from the airport of Qamishli, as a result of a technical malfunction - Map of Syrian Civil war/ Global conflict in Syria - Syria news". syria.liveuamap.com. 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2017-07-02.
- R.s (3 July 2017). "Luftwaffe A.S: SyAAF Mi-17 Destroyed (2017-07-02)". luftwaffeas.blogspot.com.br. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Reuters. "Rebels say they shoot down Syrian military jet, army confirms crash - defenceWeb". www.defenceweb.co.za. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "US Marine Corps V-22 Osprey tiltrotor crashes in Syria". aviationanalysis.net. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "IDF fires Patriot to intercept Hezbollah drone in Golan Heights". ynetnews.com. 19 September 2017. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Russian chopper made emergency landing, not downed by ISIS – MoD". Almasdar News. 6 October 2017.
- "Russian Su-24 attack aircraft crashes during takeoff in Syria, crew killed – MoD". RT.com. 10 October 2017. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "A Look at the Islamic State's Infiltration of a Syrian Air Base". Stratfor. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "L-39 was crashed on the approach to land". syria.liveuamap. 22 November 2017. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Losses of armored vehicles and aviation in Syria خسائر العربات المدرعة والطائرات في سوريا". lostarmour.info. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Video: Rebels fired a MANPADS to shot down the SyAF L-39 over NE. Hama - Map of Syrian Civil War - Syria news today - syria.liveuamap.com". Map of Syrian Civil War - Syria news today - syria.liveuamap.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Ranter, Harro. "Accident Mil Mi-24P , 31 Dec 2017". aviation-safety.net. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- News, VOA. "Russian Report: 7 Russian Planes in Syria Damaged by Rebel Attack". voanews.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Rogoway, Tyler. "Report Says Multiple Aircraft At Russia's Air Base In Syria Destroyed In Attack (Updated)". thedrive.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "At least seven Russian planes destroyed by shelling at Syrian air base". 3 January 2018. Retrieved 5 February 2018 – via Reuters.
- "Минобороны назвало фейком информацию об уничтожении семи самолетов в Сирии". lenta.ru. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Roman Saponkov". vk.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Погибшего в Сирии летчика представили к званию Героя России BBC, 5 February 2018.
- Cunningham, Erin; Loveluck, Louisa (3 February 2018). "Russia strikes back as Syrian rebels take credit for shooting down fighter jet, killing pilot". Retrieved 5 February 2018 – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- "Russian transport plane crashes upon landing in Syria, all 39 on board dead". 6 March 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "В Сирии разбился российский истребитель". Meduza (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Since it became operational, the "Yahalom" (Patriot) battery has intercepted five enemy UAVs and two enemy aircraft. "Yahalom" Battery Intercepts Syrian Jet.
- “Yahalom” Battery Intercepts Syrian UAV.
- Firsthand: The Syrian UAV Interception
- Syrian UAV intercepted in northern Israel.
- First Time in 45 Years Israel Shoots Down a Syrian Fighter Jet Over Israeli Airspace
- Israel Shoots Down Syrian Jet It Says Flew Into its Airspace..
- Daesh Displays Alleged Photos of Syrian Pilot, Jet Downed by Israel.
- @LuftwaffeAS (Sep 12, 2018). "SyAAF Mi-8 piloted by Maj. William Mhalla crashed today. To me, it looks he was "forced" to perform an emergency landing. More details to come soon. pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm5iNdLXcAAE-UJ?format=jpg&name=small" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Ensor, Josie (2019-08-15). "Idlib rebels shoot down Syrian government plane as regime troops gain ground". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- Demerly, Tom (2019-08-14). "Reports: Syrian Su-22 "Shot Down" Down Near Idlib, Pilot Reported as Ejected". The Aviationist. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- IN VIDEO: SYRIAN AIR DEFENSE FORCES SHOT DOWN DRONE SOUTH OF DAMASCUS
- Syrian air defenses destroy drone near capital
- RUSSIA DOWNS ISRAELI DRONE ATTEMPTING TO ATTACK IN SYRIA - RUSSIAN MEDIA
- Syrian Army intercepts suspected Israeli drone loaded with cluster bombs
- Turkish military chopper crashes in northern Syria
- TURKISH MILITARY HELICOPTER CRASHED IN NORTHEASTERN SYRIA (PHOTOS)
- Aircraft Lost During The Syrian Civil War
- Syria Bombs Islamic State 'Air Force'