List of Winx Club characters
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018)
Winx Club is an animated series co-produced by Rainbow SpA and Nickelodeon, which are both part of ViacomCBS. Its characters were created and designed by comic artist Iginio Straffi. The show takes place in a magical dimension where a group of fairy warriors defends their universe from villains. The group, named the Winx Club, attends the Alfea College for Fairies. The Specialists, a group of male students from the neighboring Red Fountain School, often join the Winx on their adventures.
The Winx Club is led by Bloom, a student from Earth who thought she was an average human until discovering her flame-based powers. The original group includes Stella, the Fairy of the Shining Sun; Flora, the Fairy of Nature; Musa, the Fairy of Music; and Tecna, the Fairy of Technology. They share an apartment on the campus of Alfea. The Fairy of Waves, Aisha, is introduced in the second season and becomes the group's sixth member. The Fairy of Animals, Roxy, is introduced in the fourth season and occasionally joins the other fairies.
The characters of Winx Club have become popular with audiences. Critical response to the characters has been positive, with praise for their positive relationships and presentation of gender roles. The characters have appeared in a variety of media, including the spin-off series World of Winx, a comic book serial, and video games. In 2012, new episodes of the series incorporated CGI-animated sequences that rendered the characters in 3D. A live-action series inspired by Winx Club, Fate: The Winx Saga, debuted in 2021 and features some of the original characters.
In the original series (seasons 1–4), the characters' mouths were animated to match the Italian voice actors, who recorded their lines in Rome. The revived series, beginning with the hour-long specials, was produced in English first. The specials and seasons 5–6 were animated to match the Hollywood-based cast, who recorded their lines at the Atlas Oceanic studio. Season 7 was also matched to Nickelodeon and Rainbow's English scripts, but due to budget cuts, Viacom relocated the voice cast from Hollywood to New York City. Only actors from the two original casts are listed below.
Creation and production historyEdit
Iginio Straffi developed the Winx Club characters for the short pilot episode "Magic Bloom," which was finished in 2001. The characters' outfits were modeled on those of traditional European fairies, while their appearances were loosely inspired by popular celebrities of the time. In a 2011 interview with IO Donna, Straffi stated Britney Spears served as an inspiration for Bloom, Cameron Diaz for Stella, Jennifer Lopez for Flora, Pink for Tecna, and Lucy Liu for Musa. Straffi wanted the fairies to represent "the women of today" and to look more modern than classic examples like la Fata Turchina.
After holding test screenings of the pilot, Straffi was unhappy with the audience's unenthusiastic reaction to the characters' outdated clothing style. He hired Italian fashion designers to give the characters a more modern appearance. Flora underwent several changes because Straffi felt test audiences disliked her design. She was originally drawn with glasses and a lighter skin tone; for the full series, her glasses were removed and she was given darker skin to look "more Latin". The Winx fairies' male counterparts, the Specialists, were created in response to a request that the series should feature male leads.
According to Iginio Straffi, each of the Winx fairies' personalities were made as different as possible so "teenagers from all over the world can identify themselves with the character they think they are most like". After the premiere of the first season worldwide, the production team heard that American viewers noticed the absence of Black characters in the show. In response, Straffi designed a sixth fairy named Aisha, who has darker skin than the others. Her design was loosely inspired by Beyoncé and she was introduced in the first episode of the second season. The fourth season introduces a seventh member, Roxy, who occasionally joins the other fairies.
After Viacom became a co-owner of the Rainbow studio in 2011, new seasons of Winx Club entered production at Viacom's Nickelodeon Animation Studio and Rainbow. For this relaunched series (which began with four specials that retell Bloom's origin story), Viacom hired popular actors to voice many of the characters. These stars included Ariana Grande as Diaspro, Elizabeth Gillies as Daphne, Keke Palmer as Aisha, Matt Shively as Sky, and Daniella Monet as Mitzi.
- Bloom is the Fairy of the Dragon Flame. Her title comes from the source of her powers: a flame from the Great Dragon, a deity that created the Magic Dimension. She is the most powerful fairy and the leader of the Winx Club. Before discovering her magical powers, she lived on Earth as an ordinary human, unaware of her birth on the planet Domino. Throughout the first three seasons, Bloom uncovers the mystery behind her home planet's destruction at the hands of the Ancestral Witches, culminating in a battle against them. Bloom dates Sky throughout the series and accepts his marriage proposal in Winx Club 3D: Magical Adventure. She also has a blue pet rabbit named Kiko (vocals by Dee Bradley Baker). Bloom's Italian voice actress is Letizia Ciampa and her Hollywood voice actress is Molly Quinn.
- Stella is the outgoing and spontaneous Fairy of the Shining Sun. She is from Solaria. She has long, blonde hair, and her powers involve manipulating light and using energy from the sun and moon. She is a skilled artist and keeps a sketchbook of fashion drawings. Throughout the series, Stella creates her own outfits for the group to follow her dreams of becoming a fashion designer.[a] Stella is Bloom's best friend and she enjoys being the center of attention. She is the oldest of the Winx, as she was held back at Alfea for a year. She is engaged to Sky's bodyguard, Brandon, whom she tends to obsess over. Stella's Italian voice actress is Perla Liberatori and her Hollywood voice actress is Amy Gross.
- Flora is the sensitive and shy Fairy of Nature from the planet Lynphea. She has long, brown hair with blonde bangs. Flora draws her strength from plants and her room at Alfea resembles a greenhouse. She is the Winx Club's peacemaker, believing in protecting others and the environment. Flora is the group's potions expert who brews herbal remedies. Flora begins dating Helia in the second season. Her Italian voice actress is Ilaria Latini and her Hollywood voice actress is Alejandra Reynoso.
- Musa is the Fairy of Music from the planet Melody. She has blue-black hair that is worn in short pigtails in the first two seasons and in a longer hairstyle thereafter. Her powers involve manipulating sound waves and music. She loves music and dance, and can be pessimistic at times. She is the most outspoken and sensible of the group. Musa goes through multiple breakups with her boyfriend Riven, including one in season six that carries over through the seventh season. Musa's Italian voice actress is Gemma Donati and her Hollywood voice actress is Romi Dames.
- Tecna is the Fairy of Technology. She has light skin, short magenta hair (usually worn in a pixie cut), and blue-green eyes.[b] She is from the planet Zenith and draws her magical abilities from machinery and energy. Tecna has a photographic memory and a knowledge of science, helping her invent devices to help herself and her friends. Tecna enjoys experimenting with computer programs and playing video games. She is orderly and rational, using logic to solve problems. Tecna dates Timmy throughout the series. Tecna's Italian voice actress is Domitilla D'Amico and her Hollywood voice actress is Morgan Decker.
- Aisha is the Fairy of Waves, introduced in the second season. Aisha joins the Winx after the other fairies rescue her from Lord Darkar. She is from the planet Andros, a realm of oceans. She has dark skin, curly dark-brown hair, and blue eyes. Aisha is able to control and manipulate a pink fluid called Morphix. She is rebellious and athletic, with a passion for sports and dance. In the sixth and seventh seasons, Aisha enters a romantic relationship with Nex following the death of her fiancé Nabu in the fourth season. In third-party dubs, Aisha's name is changed to Layla. Aisha's Italian voice actress is Laura Lenghi and her Hollywood voice actress is Keke Palmer.
- Roxy is the strong-willed Fairy of Animals, introduced in the fourth season. She occasionally joins the Winx and is named as the Winx Club's seventh member by the show's three production companies. She is the youngest and weakest of the fairies. Roxy is a tomboy who lives in Gardenia on Earth, where she works as a bartender. She is the last remaining fairy born on Earth because the Wizards of the Black Circle imprisoned her fairy relatives in the realm of Tír na nÓg before the events of the series. In the fifth season, Roxy enrolls at Alfea College, where she strengthens her animal magic. She has a smart pet dog named Artu. Roxy's Italian voice actress is Debora Magnaghi and her Hollywood voice actress is Liliana Mumy.
Specialists, Paladins, and WizardsEdit
- Sky is the leader of the Specialists. He is the crown prince and later king of the planet Eraklyon. He has fair skin, blue eyes, and blond hair. He and Bloom date throughout the series; Sky later proposes marriage to her in Magical Adventure. Sky is the son of King Erendor and Queen Samara, who initially paired him with a princess named Diaspro. Sky broke up with Diaspro after learning of her selfish demeanor. He is best friends with his bodyguard Brandon. Sky's Italian voice actor is Alessandro Quarta and his Hollywood voice actor is Matt Shively.
- Brandon is Sky's best friend and bodyguard, and Stella's fiancé. He is the strongest of the Specialists and the most outgoing of the boys. He has fair skin, short brown hair with a long fringe, and brown eyes. He is voiced by Massimiliano Alto, Nanni Baldini, and Gianluca Crisafi in Italian. His Hollywood voice actor is Adam Gregory.
- Riven is the competitive and stubborn maverick of the Specialists. He has light skin, short, spiky pink hair and blue-violet eyes. His mother abandoned him at birth and he is wary of women. He has an intermittent relationship with Musa; they break up in the sixth season, and this carries over through the seventh season. Riven's weapons of choice are a red-purple phantosaber and a meteor hammer. His Italian voice actor is Mirko Mazzanti and his Hollywood voice actor is Sam Riegel.
- Timmy is a Specialist who comes from a family of respected scientists in Magix. He loves technology and is skilled at commandeering ships from Red Fountain. He is the least-skilled of the Specialists in terms of combat but is an expert with machines. He wears glasses, and has fair skin and light brown-orange hair with a small fringe. His girlfriend is Tecna; his shyness interferes with him telling Tecna about his feelings for her. Timmy's Italian voice actor is Corrado Conforti and his Hollywood voice actor is Charlie Schlatter.
- Helia, who is introduced in the second season, is an artistic Specialist and the nephew of Red Fountain's headmaster Saladin. Helia is a pacifist who cares about nature and his friends. He is Flora's boyfriend and is very romantic. He likes to paint pictures and write poetry for her. In the first two seasons, he has long, blue-black hair tied into a loose ponytail and from season four his hair is short with a spiky fringe. His weapon of choice is a laser string glove. Helia's Italian voice actor is Francesco Pezzulli and Leonardo Graziano and his Hollywood voice actor is David Faustino.
- Roy is a Specialist from Andros who works for Aisha's father. Roy has light-brown skin, spiky blond hair, and gray eyes. He can fight underwater. Like Nabu, Roy uses magic and has a crush on Aisha, who is slow to reciprocate his feelings but befriends him by the sixth season. Roy's rival for Aisha's affection is the Paladin Nex. Roy's Italian voice actor is Emanuele Ruzza and his Hollywood voice actor is Bryton James.
Three more characters are portrayed with substantial similarities to the Specialists, above, but never attended Red Fountain, and hence are not Specialists:
- Nabu is a Wizard of nobility who was born on the planet of Andros. He is introduced in the third season when Aisha finds she is arranged to marry him. Using the pseudonym Ophir, Nabu secretly leaves Andros to find out what Aisha is like. The Winx and the Specialists believe he is a spy of Valtor, but after he saves them on multiple occasions, Nabu gains their respect and Aisha's love. His weapon is a magic staff and he has light-brown skin, braided red-brown hair, and violet eyes. In the fourth season, Nabu dies when he sacrifices himself to save the Earth fairy kingdom of Tír nan Óg. His Italian voice actor is Sasha De Toni and his Hollywood voice actor is Will Blagrove.
- Prince Thoren is a Paladin who is Sky's cousin and Daphne's husband. His weapon is the Earthquake Hammer. He and Sky have a grudge against each other. He has fair skin, wavy brown hair, and blue-green eyes. Thoren's Italian voice actor is Alessio De Filippis and his Hollywood voice actor is Charlie Schlatter.
- Nex is a sociable, confident Paladin and a friend of Thoren. He has fair skin, gray hair, and light-brown eyes. He and Aisha become attracted to each other in the sixth season. His weapon is the Halberd of the Wind. Nex's Italian voice actors are Daniele Raffaeli and Marco Bassetti, and his Hollywood voice actor is Adam Gregory.
- The Trix are three witches with various powers. They are the main antagonists of the first season who start out as students at Cloud Tower, where their peers both idolize and fear them. They steal most of Bloom's power until she realizes her powers had been limited by self-doubt. She regains enough energy to defeat the Trix, and they are imprisoned in the Fortress of Roccaluce. In the second season, the Trix escape with the help of Darkar. In season five, they gain Dark Sirenix from Tritannus. The Trix return as the main villains in season 6, at the end of which, they are locked inside the Legendarium. In season 7, Brafilius finds the Trix and accidentally releases them. They enact vengeance on Alfea's fairies. The Trix capture Brafilius and use the Stone of Memories to travel back to the distant past. In season 8, the Trix return to side with Valtor.
- Icy is the eldest of the trio and their leader, whose powers are derived from ice. She despises Bloom and is the most competitive with the Winx. Icy is more aggressive than Darcy but calmer than Stormy. Icy's skin is pale; she has light-blue hair tied in a high ponytail, and wears a blue and teal outfit. Icy's Italian voice actress is Tatiana Dessi and her Hollywood voice actress is Larisa Oleynik.
- Darcy, the middle of the trio, derives her powers from shadows and darkness. She enjoys tormenting pixies and is less aggressive than her friends, preferring subtle and manipulative techniques.[a] She has fair skin, long brown hair, and a dark purple outfit, which is sometimes accompanied by glasses.[b] Darcy's Italian voice actress is Federica De Bortoli and her Hollywood voice actress is Jennifer Cody.
- Stormy, the youngest of the trio, has power over stormy weather.[a] She is the hottest-tempered of the group and is prone to violent outbursts. Her impulsiveness often leads the trio to trouble. She has tan skin, a cloud-shaped purple hairstyle, and a reddish-violet outfit.[b] Stormy's Italian voice actress is Valeria Vidali and her Hollywood voice actress is Kimberly Brooks.
- Lord Darkar, also called the Shadow Phoenix, is the main antagonist of the second season. He is a primordial being who caused the destruction of Domino, having controlled the Ancestral Witches and Valtor when they destroyed it. After they were defeated, Darkar was sent into a deep slumber and awakens at the beginning of the second season. He kidnaps the pixies, rescues the Trix from their prison, and opens a portal to the Realm of the Relix. He nearly succeeds in his plot to claim the Ultimate Power and rule the magical universe but he is defeated by a Charmix Convergence of the Winx Club. Darkar's Italian voice actor is Fabrizio Temperini and his Hollywood voice actor is Michael Dorn.
- Valtor is a sorcerer and the main antagonist of the third and eighth seasons. He was created by the Ancestral Witches from a dark spark of the Dragon Flame. He helped the witches destroy Domino but was defeated by Oritel and Marion, who imprisoned him in the Omega Dimension. The Trix free him in the third season and become his allies. After being freed, Valtor aspires to become the greatest sorcerer of the magical universe by conquering each realm. At the end of the third season, Valtor turns into a demon and unleashes a spell that almost destroys Magix. The Winx release the spells that he had stolen. Bloom eventually defeats Valtor when she extinguishes his Dragon Flame. He is eventually revived by Argan in Season 8, only to be destroyed once again by the Winx. Valtor's Italian voice actor is Guido Di Naccio.
- The Ancestral Witches are the ancient witches Belladonna, who has power over ice; Liliss, who has power over darkness; and Tharma, who has power over storms. In the past, they tried to invade the Infinite Ocean and faced the nymphs Daphne and Politea. They cursed the nymphs' Sirenix power, turning Daphne into a disembodied spirit and Politea into a monster. They also attacked Domino to obtain the power of the Dragon Flame but were defeated by the Company of Light. Their actions destroyed Domino, freezing and darkening the planet and imprisoning its inhabitants in the Obsidian Dimension. The witches were also imprisoned and became disembodied spirits.
- Mandragora is an evil witch who has power over insects, appearing only in The Secret of the Lost Kingdom. She serves the Ancestral Witches and is the guardian of Obsidian, the realm of pure evil. Her Italian voice actress is Cinzia De Carolis.
- The Wizards of the Black Circle are the four main villains of the fourth season. In the past, they developed a way to resist fairy magic, which allowed them to imprison all of Earth's fairies and steal magic from the planet. They battle the Winx throughout the first half of the season but they are defeated when Bloom uses her Believix powers to convince the humans of Gardenia to believe in magic and fairies. This renders the Wizards' powers useless and makes them vulnerable to Bloom's attacks. Their powers are weakened and they must hide in the sewers. In the season finale, the remaining Wizards are frozen in the Omega Dimension and fall into a crevice. While the Wizards of the Black Circle share certain powers, like opening a Dark Gate to capture fairies and cast enchantments, they also have individual powers:
- Ogron is the leader of the Wizards of the Black Circle who can absorb and deflect magic. He becomes stronger and more powerful with every blow of fairy magic he absorbs. His Italian voice actor is Patrizio Prata.
- Duman is a shapeshifter who can take on the appearances of animals and other people. He is defeated by Nabu while suffering from an illness caused by his unstable powers. His Italian voice actor is Davide Lepore.
- Anagan has superhuman speed. His Italian voice actor is Andrea Lavagnino.
- Gantlos can produce powerful, destructive shockwaves. His Italian voice actor is Christian Iansante.
- Tritannus is the main antagonist of the fifth season. He is Aisha's cousin, the son of Neptune and Ligea, and the brother of Nereus. He was once a merman who was sent to prison after trying to kill Nereus, who was chosen to be Neptune's heir to the throne instead of Tritannus. Tritannus was stripped of his prince title and later mutated into a demon due to toxic pollution. Absorbing more pollution increases his strength. Tritannus is defeated by the Winx when Bloom destroys his trident that holds all of his evil powers, and is banished to Oblivion for his actions. His Italian voice actor is Alberto Bognanni and his Hollywood voice actor is Adam Wylie.
- Selina is one of the main antagonists of the sixth season. She comes from Earth and was once a friend of Bloom. She is a freshman at Cloud Tower and owns a magical book called the Legendarium that can make legends and myths come to life. She becomes the servant of a sorcerer named Acheron, who was sealed within the Legendarium. Selina promised to release him in return for extraordinarily strong powers, knowledge of the potential of its powers, and the ability to rule alongside him. Acheron turned against her after being released. Selina contacted Bloom telepathically and the two friends managed to imprison Acheron once again inside the Legendarium along with the Trix. Seeing the error of her ways, Selina willingly uses the Legendarium's key to lock the magic book forever. She is later reunited with her fairy godmother and mentor, Eldora, and welcomed back as a student. Selina's Italian voice actress is Eleonora Reti and her Hollywood voice actress is Jessica DiCicco.
- Acheron is the main antagonist of the sixth season. He is a powerful and dangerous sorcerer who had learned dark magic on Earth. He created a book called the Legendarium and tried to use it to become the strongest and most feared sorcerer of the magical universe, but he could not control its powers and became trapped within its pages. In season six, persuades Selina to work for him and become strong enough to release him. In exchange, Acheron promised to grant Selina great powers and knowledge about the Legendarium. Once released by Selina, however, he turns against her and is defeated by Bloom when she traps him inside the Infinity Box, which can permanently hold anything magical. Acheron's Italian voice actor is Marco Bassetti and his Hollywood voice actor is Sam Riegel.
- Politea is an evil Sirenix fairy who fought alongside Daphne to protect the Magic Dimension and the Infinite Ocean from the Ancestral Witches. She betrayed Daphne to side with the Ancestral Witches, who placed a curse on Sirenix that turned Daphne into a bodiless spirit and Politea into a dragon-like monster. Politea lived in a shark-shaped cave in the Infinite Ocean. Darcy and Stormy stole Politea's evil Sirenix abilities and she faded from reality. In The Mystery of the Abyss, Politea returns as a bodiless spirit and allies herself with the Trix to obtain a powerful object called the Pearl of the Depths. Politea persuades the Trix to manipulate Tritannus into abducting Sky and using him to obtain the powers of the Emperor's Throne. When Tritannus acquires the pearl, she reveals herself to him and uses her dark magic to control him and the Trix. Politea is destroyed or blasted far away by a powerful Sirenix convergence of the Winx. Her Italian voice actress is Alessandra Korompay.
- Kalshara and Brafilius are the main antagonists of the seventh season. Kalshara is a shape-shifter and Brafilius is her clumsy brother who has dark magic powers. Their goal is to capture all of the Fairy Animals of the Magic Dimension and acquire their power. Kalshara and Brafilius were once humans but became animal-like creatures when Kalshara gained wild magic. Brafilius stole the stone of memories from Roxy and used it to travel back in time with the Winx. When Kalshara got the ultimate power, Brafilius betrayed her, stole it for himself, and used it to summon the most power animals in the magic dimension. The Trix then captured Brafilius and turned him into a dog, forcing Kalshara to form a temporary truce with the Winx to help restore him. When the Trix were banished to limbo, the ultimate power was removed from Brafilius. Kalshara was so furious over losing the ultimate power that she disowned Brafilius as her brother but fell into a magic vortex when confronted by the cave creatures who defended Brafilius. Kalshara was gone but Brafilius had a change of heart and now lives with the friendly cave creatures. Kalshara and Brafilius are respectively voiced by Emilia Costa and Carlo Scipioni in Italian.
- Argan (named Obscurum while under Valtor's dark magic) is a secondary antagonist in the eighth season. He is the brother of Queen Dorana of Lumenia. Jealous of Dorana's power, he channeled the energy of Valtor and used the power of the stars to revive him. In return, Valtor gave Argan dark powers and changed his appearance. Argan's Italian voice actor is Paolo De Santis.
College staff and studentsEdit
- Daphne, Bloom's older sister, is the Nymph of Sirenix. She derives her magical powers and spells from the sea and the five elements: Water, Fire, Earth, Air, and Quintessence. Until season five, Daphne is a disembodied spirit due to a curse the Ancestral Witches cast upon her. She can telepathically communicate with Bloom and guides her throughout the first three seasons, helping Bloom to restore Domino and free their parents. In the fifth season, Bloom uses her Sirenix wish to have the curse of Sirenix broken forever, which restores Daphne to her physical form. In the sixth season, Daphne reconnects with her Sirenix powers and joins Alfea as the History of Magic teacher. She becomes crown princess of her home world and marries Thoren. Daphne's Italian voice actress is Raffaella Castelli and her Hollywood voice actress is Elizabeth Gillies.
- Faragonda is the Headmistress of Alfea and the teacher of Convergence, and is a mentor to the Winx. Faragonda has a good relationship and a small rivalry with Ms. Griffin of Cloud Tower, a school for witches. In the third season, it is revealed that this is because they had worked together to defend Domino from Valtor and the Ancestral Witches. Her Italian voice actresses are Roberta Greganti and Giò Giò Rapattoni. Her Hollywood voice actress is Kari Wahlgren.
- Griselda is the vice-principal to Ms. Faragonda and Head of Discipline at Alfea.[b] Griselda is the strictest teacher in Alfea who teaches techniques involving defense and reflection abilities, as well as new spells. Her Italian voice actresses are Franca Lumachi and Rachele Paolelli, and her Hollywood voice actress is Susan Blakeslee.
- Wizgiz is a leprechaun teacher of shapeshifting. He is the oldest member of Alfea's staff and has been teaching for 1,000 years. He can be uptight at times and has a difficult relationship with Stella due to her lack of interest in her grades. His Italian voice actors are Mino Caprio and Stefano Onofri, and his Hollywood voice actor is Dee Bradley Baker.
- Palladium is an elf who teaches Potionology at Alfea. He is also in charge of the Magical Reality chamber, a simulator that creates a virtual world. In the first season, he is unassertive and lacks confidence. In the second season, he evolves into a more confident character with an older appearance. His Italian voice actors are Vittorio Guerrieri and Stefano Onofri and his Hollywood voice actor is Mitchell Whitfield.
- Knut is a yellow ogre who originally worked for the Trix. He is near-sighted; a running joke in the first season is that he has to help the Trix or he will be forced to always wear his glasses.[c][b] He later defects to the good side, fearing the Trix will target his species. He becomes a janitor at Alfea. His Italian voice actors are Roberto Draghetti and Stefano Billi, and his Hollywood voice actor is Peter Emshwiller.
- Mirta is a fairy who used to be a witch at Cloud Tower before joining Alfea. For interfering in the Trix's business, she is turned into a pumpkin for the second half of the first season. Flora keeps the pumpkin in her room and takes care of it affectionately, trying several times to turn her back. By the end of the first season, she is turned back into a girl and becomes a transfer student to Alfea. Her Italian voice actress is Gaia Bolognesi and her Hollywood voice actress is Natalie Lander.
- Lucy is Mirta's only real friend at Cloud Tower. Lucy is Tall and pale, and has low self-esteem and desperately wants to befriend the Trix in the first season. Lucy is proud of being a witch and took Mirta's rejection of dark magic as a personal insult. Her Italian voice actress is Milvia Bonacini and her Hollywood voice actress is Jessica DiCicco.
- Griffin is the Headmistress[a] of Cloud Tower and a good friend of Faragonda. Griffin can seem strict but she cares for her students and will defend them if threatened. She once teamed up with Valtor to work for the Ancestral Witches when she was a young witch. She escaped and defended Domino alongside Faragonda and Saladin against the Ancestral Witches. Her Italian voice actress is Antonella Giannini and her Hollywood voice actress is Grey DeLisle.
Home world charactersEdit
- Mike and Vanessa are Bloom's adoptive parents on Earth. Mike is a firefighter who views Bloom as a child. Vanessa is a kind-hearted florist who runs her own flower shop. Mike and Vanessa are respectively voiced by Roberto Certomà and Babara De Bortoli in Italian; their Hollywood voice actors are James Patrick Stuart and April Stewart.
- Mitzi is Bloom's spoiled former neighbor, classmate, and rival. She made fun of Bloom when they went to the same school in Gardenia. She temporarily transforms herself into a Dark Fairy after accepting an offer from the Wizards of the Black Circle. Mitzi has a younger sister named Macy, who shows compassion for the Winx and befriends them. Mitzi is a fan of the Trix while Macy likes the Winx. Mitzi's Italian voice actress is Monica Vulcano and her Hollywood voice actress is Daniella Monet.
- King Oritel and Queen Marion are the biological parents of Daphne and Bloom, as well as the rulers of Domino. Their planet is destroyed and they are trapped in a dark realm called the Circle of Obsidian. Bloom does not know their whereabouts for much of her life. Bloom learns from the Ancestral Witches that they are alive in a place beyond the Magical Dimension's reach. In the first movie, Bloom frees Oritel and Marion after destroying the Obsidian dimension and reviving Domino. They reunite with Bloom. King Oritel's Italian voice actors are Luca Graziani and Marco Bassetti and his Hollywood voice actor is Josh Keaton. Queen Marion's Italian voice actress is Rachele Paolelli, and her Hollywood voice actresses are Larisa Oleynik and Grey DeLisle.
- Princess Diaspro is a member of Eraklyon's nobility who was Sky's arranged fiancée until he met Bloom. She has the powers of gems. She is a selfish and materialistic princess who has little regard for the well-being of others. In the third season, Diaspro tries to win back Sky's affection by allying with Valtor and having herself nominated as the King's liaison officer of Eraklyon, but she fails. In the sixth season, Diaspro allies with the Trix. Diaspro's Italian voice actresses are Alessia La Monica and Katia Sorrentino. Her Hollywood voice actresses are Ariana Grande and Cassandra Morris.
- King Radius and Queen Luna are Stella's divorced parents. Radius possesses the powers of Solaria's Sun and his life force is fused with the second sun of Solaria. Luna has the powers of the moon and the light of Solaria. Luna's Italian voice actress is Ilaria Giorgino and Radius's Italian voice actors are Fabrizio Temperini and Pasquale Anselmo. Radius and Luna's respective Hollywood voices are André Sogliuzzo and Megan Cavanaugh.
- Countess Cassandra and Chimera are nobles from Solaria who are introduced in the third season. They team up with Valtor to gain control of Solaria. Cassandra is engaged to Stella's father Radius and casts a spell on him that forces him to do everything she says, including banishing Stella. Chimera uses her magic to turn Stella into a monster and replaces her as princess of Solaria. After Stella defeats them, King Radius calls off his wedding to Cassandra and sends them to the dungeon. Countess Cassandra and Chimera are respectively voiced by Francesca Draghetti and Raffaella Castelli.
- Miele is Flora's younger sister whose powers are derived from plants. Miele helps the Winx when they visit Lynphea. Her Italian voice actresses are Benedetta Gravina and Gaia Bolognesi, and her Hollywood voice actress is Jessica DiCicco.
- Ho-Boe is a musician and Musa's widower father. His wife Matlin was a singer who died when Musa was young. Ho-Boe can be over-protective of Musa because he is afraid he will lose her as well. He makes sporadic appearances throughout the series while Matlin appears in flashbacks and in a holograph that Musa carries. Ho-Boe's Italian voice actor is Fabrizio Temperini. He and Matlin's Hollywood voice actors are Jim Ward and Laura Bailey, respectively.
- Magnethia and Electronio are Tecna's parents. They are inventors with an interest in science. They live on Zenith and collect a range of technological devices. They disapprove of Timmy when they first meet him, but they accept him after he demonstrates his intelligence and proves his love for Tecna. Magnethia and Electronio are voiced by Ilaria Giorgino and Vittorio Guerrieri in Italian; their Hollywood voice actors are Jennifer Cody and Dee Bradley Baker.
- Queen Morgana and Klaus are Roxy's parents. Morgana is the former queen of the Earth fairies who led their revenge against the Black Circle for imprisoning them. In the fourth season, she abdicates her throne to live with her husband and daughter in Gardenia. Klaus is a human from Earth who does not find out about Morgana's powers until later in the series. He owns the Frutti Music Bar where he and Roxy work., Morgana's Italian voice actresses are Alessandra Cassioli and Francesca Rinaldi. Klaus's Italian voice actor is Claudio Moneta. Morgana and Klaus's respective Hollywood voices are Mindy Sterling and Michael Donovan.
- Queen Nebula is Morgana's second-in-command. She is one of the powerful terrestrial fairies who was trapped within the mystical White Circle. She used to be the fairy of peace but she turned into the fairy of war due to her intense hatred for humans and the Fairy Hunters. At the end of the fourth season, she lets go of her anger and becomes the new queen of the Earth fairies. Her Italian voice actresses are Valentina Mari and Rachele Paolelli, and her Hollywood voice actresses are Karen Strassman and Grey DeLisle.
- Queen Dorana and Twinkly are members of a magical alien species called Lumens who are introduced in the eighth season. They come from Lumenia, the star that lights Solaria, and can generate magic stardust. Dorana is the queen of stars who acts as the ruler of Lumenia. Twinkly is the messenger of Lumenia. Dorana and Twinkly are respectively voiced by Daniela Abbruzzese and Giulia Tarquini.
- Sapphire is Icy's younger sister, who was turned into a white fox by the Shaman Witch.
- The pixies are the first magical beings who bond with the fairies. They are introduced in the second season after the Winx rescue them from Darkar. Based in part on the pixies of British folklore, each has a special talent.
- Lockette is the Pixie of Portals (later the Pixie of Direction) and is Bloom's bonded pixie, whom she helps in pathfinding both physically and emotionally.
- Amore is the Pixie of Love (later the Pixie of Feelings) and is Stella's bonded pixie.
- Chatta is the Pixie of Gossip and Flora's bonded pixie. She is extremely talkative, enjoys writing cheers, and encourages Flora to vocalize her thoughts.
- Tune is the Pixie of Etiquette and is Musa's bonded pixie. She is prim and proper with purple hair. Tune believes in being ladylike and constantly nags Musa, who is known for her outgoing behavior.
- Digit is the Pixie of Nanotechnology and is Tecna's bonded pixie. She shows little emotion but has a close relationship with Tecna. They challenge each other's minds, discuss similar interests, and speak in a similarly complex manner.
- Piff is the Pixie of Sweet Dreams and is Aisha's bonded pixie. She relieves nightmares by falling asleep on the dreamer's head, which helps relieve Aisha's nightmares. Piff cannot talk and communicates in baby babble. Aisha's restlessness is balanced by Piff's constant sleepiness.
- Caramel is the Pixie of Super-Strength. She replaces Digit as Tecna's pixie in season six.
- Cherie is the Pixie of Weather. She replaces Tune as Musa's pixie in season six.
- The fairy pets are a group of soft toys from Earth that were brought to life by the Winx's magic. Bloom's pet is a white-furred lamb named Belle; Stella's is a poodle named Ginger; Flora's is a kitten named Coco; Musa's is a teddy bear named Pepe; Tecna's is a duckling named Chicko; and Aisha's is a rabbit named Milly. Ginger and Milly tend to fight for Kiko's attention. Roxy's fairy pet is an unnamed tiger who only appears on merchandise.
- The selkies live in oceans and work as gatekeepers of the ocean portals to various planets. In the fifth season, Tritannus steals their powers to get access to the Infinite Ocean; their powers are restored when a fairy from their respective home planet bonds with them. Selkies can sense when their bonded fairy is nearby. Serena, the gatekeeper of Domino, is bonded to Bloom; Illiris, the gatekeeper of Solaria, is bonded to Stella; Desiryee, the gatekeeper of Lynphea, is bonded to Flora; Sonna, the gatekeeper of Melody, is bonded to Musa; Lithia, the gatekeeper of Zenith, is bonded to Tecna; and Lemmy, the gatekeeper of Andros, is bonded to Aisha. Two unbonded selkies also appear: Phylla, the gatekeeper of Earth, and Nissa, the gatekeeper of Magix.
- The fairy animals are mythical creatures to which the Winx become bonded in the seventh season. Each one has a power or secret that maintains order in the universe. Bloom's fairy animal is a unicorn named Elas, whom she saves after he becomes a shape-shifting monster. Stella's is a bird-like Shinygreed named Shiny; Flora's is a Magiwolf named Amarok; Musa's is a Quillcat named Critty; Tecna's is a Techsquirrel named Flitter; and Aisha's is a Cry-Cry named Squonk.
- Works cited
- Other references
- Morganti, Tiziana (15 July 2014). "Rainbow Studios: le Winx ci aprono le porte del loro mondo". Movieplayer.it.
- Reynoso, Alejandra (23 October 2011). "Stars of Nickelodeon Cast of Winx Club Exclusive Interview" (Interview).
Season 5, they're original records, so those are the days we come together and they send our voices to Italy and then they animate the show based on our voices.
- "Rainbow's next steps". Licensing Special Report. 2014. Archived from the original on 2020-01-07.
- Ashdown, Simon (1 September 2003). "Kids TV producers turn to style specialists for design innovations". Kidscreen. Archived from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Pennati, Nicoletta (9 July 2011). "TIVÙ Iginio Straffi racconta le sue Winx ambientaliste". IO Donna (in Italian). Archived from the original on 8 April 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Marmiroli, Adriana (11 May 2014). "Iginio Straffi: le mie Winx sono le ragazze d'oggi". La Stampa (in Italian). Archived from the original on 28 February 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Quelle fatine sono davvero magiche". Famiglia Cristiana (in Italian). 27 August 2010. Archived from the original on 8 April 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Straffi, Iginio (2013). "Interview with Iginio Straffi" (Interview) (in Italian). Archived from the original on 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "«Девочки понимают, что наши Winx — настоящие»". Vedomosti (in Russian). 31 March 2010.
- "Le fatine di Winx club alla conquista dell' America". la Repubblica. 23 April 2004. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Straffi, Iginio (2011). "La filosofia delle Winx" (Interview). Interviewed by Popsophia.
- Straffi, Iginio (2005). "Fenomeno Winx" (Interview). Interviewed by Chiara Galavotti. Archived from the original on 2019-04-04. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "La fenice d'ombra". Winx Club. Episode 27. 19 April 2005.
- "Le Winx tornano su Rai Due". RAI (in Italian). 30 August 2010. Archived from the original on 4 August 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
una settima fata, Roxy ... Il nuovo personaggio, Roxy, si unirà al gruppo delle Winx. [a seventh fairy, Roxy ... The new character, Roxy, will join the Winx group.]
- Vivarelli, Nick (February 26, 2011). "Winx creator in the pink". Variety. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- "Nickelodeon Animation Studio: What We Do - Winx Club". Nickelodeon. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-06-13.
- "The Winx Club gets star power from Nick celebs". Nick.com. 23 August 2012.
- "Winx Club sizzle reel". Nickelodeon. 2013.
- "Bloom from Winx Club". Nick.com. Viacom International. 2011. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "Winx Club - Serie 4 Episodio 25 - Il segreto di Morgana". Rainbow S.p.A. 3 December 2012. Event occurs at 23:10.
- "Global Hit Animated Series 'Winx Club' Comes to Nickelodeon, Starting June 27". Zap2it. Tribune Media. June 9, 2011. Archived from the original on August 16, 2017.
- "Stella from Winx Club". Nickelodeon UK. Viacom International. 2011. Archived from the original on May 12, 2019. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "Winx Club - Season 6 Episode 22". Rainbow S.p.A. 24 November 2015. Event occurs at 22:29.
- "The Anthem". Winx Club. Season 6. Episode 23. Viacom – via NickelodeonPlay.
- Rudolph, Joyce (24 June 2011). "Oh, oh, oh, it's magic: Romi Dames". Los Angeles Times.
Now the Burbank resident's new project is all about magic as she provides the voice for Musa, Fairy of Music, in Nickelodeon's new animated series, 'Winx Club.' The first of four one-hour specials premieres at 8 p.m. Monday.
- "Tecna from Winx Club". Nickelodeon UK. Viacom International. 2011. Archived from the original on May 12, 2019. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- Romi Dames Morgan Decker & Amy Gross talk about voice over work @ AMC in Burbank!. YouTube. 24 October 2011. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- Santini, Gabriella (2009). Winx Club: Scopri i cuccioli con Roxy (in Italian). Rainbow S.r.l. back cover. ISBN 9788845151262.
Roxy, che è la settima Winx e anche la fata degli animali. [Roxy, who is the seventh Winx and the Fairy of Animals.]
- "Roxy from Winx Club". Nickelodeon. Archived from the original on 2012-09-16. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
[Roxy] joins the Club...
- "Bloom's Challenge". Winx Club. Season 4. Episode 23. Viacom – via NickelodeonPlay.
You picked on the weakest one of us.
- "Brandon from Winx Club". Nickelodeon UK. Viacom International. 2011. Archived from the original on May 12, 2019. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "Winx Club - Season 6 Episode 15". Rainbow S.p.A. 12 November 2015. Event occurs at 22:32.
- "A Perfect Date". Winx Club. Season 5. Episode 21. Viacom – via NickelodeonPlay.
- "Winx Club - Saison 2 Épisode 4 - Un coup de foudre". Rainbow S.p.A. 26 January 2017. Event occurs at 23:27.
- "NickelodeonPlay: Winx Club, The Princess' Ball". Retrieved May 12, 2019.
Valtor is an evil sorcerer plotting revenge against the Magic Dimension.
- "Winx Club - Il Segreto Del Regno Perduto". Rainbow S.p.A. 30 August 2018. Event occurs at 1:25:41.
- "Winx Club 6x11 Temporada 6 Episodio 11 "Sueños Rotos" Español Latino". Rainbow S.p.A. 11 November 2015. Event occurs at 22:28.
- "Winx Club: The Power of Believix, Vol. 2". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
The Winx discover that Morgana, queen of the fairies, and all the exiled earth fairies are out for vengeance. They hold a grudge against the Wizards and the entire human race.