List of Ravians
Alumni of the Government College University, Lahore (GCU), including alumni of its predecessor Government College, Lahore), are called Ravians. Following is the list of notable Ravians.
Barrister Ijaz Husain Batalvi who served as a bridge of justics, law Teacher, writer and a story teller.
- Muhammad Iqbal – Poet, philosopher, politician, lawyer, architect of the idea of Pakistan
- Mirza Athar Baig – Novelist, playwright and philosopher
- Muhammad Ajmal – Founder of psychology in Pakistan, former Principal of Government College and Vice Chancellor of the University of the Punjab
- Javed Ashraf – Economist, academician and Vice Chancellor of Quaid-e-Azam University
- Tariq Jameel – Islamic Scholar and Preacher
- Javed Ahmad Ghamidi – Islamic Modernist Scholar
- Malik Ram – Urdu, Arabic, and Persian Scholar and Writer
- Ismat Beg – Mathematician and academician. Known for his work in fixed point theory and multicriteria decision-making problems.
- Arfa Sayeda Zehra – Pakistani educationist and Urdu language expert
- Asghar Zaidi – Current Vice Chancellor of Government College University (GCU)
- Khalid Manzoor Butt – Pakistani Political Science Scholar & Chairperson of Political Science Department GCU Lahore.
- Sarvadaman Chowla – Indian-American mathematician
- Vasay Chaudhry – Film, Drama writer, Actor
- Mustansar Hussain Tarar writer, poet, storyteller, and intellectual.
- Ashfaq Ahmed – Urdu writer, playwright, broadcaster and intellectual
- Mirza Athar Baig – novelist, playwright, philosopher, and short story writer
- Patras Bokhari – Urdu writer; first Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations (1951–54); former Under-Secretary General of United
- Bano Qudsia – novelist
- Qudrat Ullah Shahab – Urdu writer and civil servant
- Wasif Ali Wasif Poet and Intellectual
- Khushwant Singh - Indian Novelist and Barrister
- Lord Malhi - A close aide of Muhammad Ali Jinnah and one of Pakistan's founding fathers. Former Minister of Education, Law & Parliamentary Affairs
- Nawaz Sharif - Ex Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali - former Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Yousaf Raza Gillani - former Prime Minister of Pakistan and speaker
- Moeen Qureshi – former interim Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Muhammad Zafarullah Khan – first Foreign Minister of Pakistan; former President of United Nations General Assembly; former President of International Court of Justice
- Swaran Singh, the longest-serving Indian federal minister
- Aitzaz Ahsan – barrister; Former Federal Minister of Interior, Law & Justice; President of Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan
- Aseff Ahmad Ali – Former Minister of Foreign Affairs and current Deputy Chairman Planning Commission
- Dr. Ghulam Hussain – former Federal Minister for Railways and Secretary-General of Pakistan People's Party
- Khurshid Mahmood Kasuri – former Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Hanif Ramay – intellectual, journalist; former Governor and Chief Minister of Punjab
- Shehbaz Sharif - former Chief Minister of Punjab, Pakistan
- Malik Zahoor Ahmad – diplomat, Middle East/South Asia expert, political analyst
- Mirza Muzaffar Ahmad – former Secretary of Commerce and Finance; Deputy Director Planning Commission of Pakistan; former Finance Minister Pakistan
- Musa Javed Chohan – diplomat, former ambassador to France, Malaysia
- Javid Husain - diplomat, former ambassador of Pakistan to Iran, South Korea, and the Netherlands
- Abdus Salim Khan - senior Pakistani diplomat and former ambassador of Pakistan to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), Japan and Deputy High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
- Kershasp Tehmurasp Satarawala - diplomat, former Indian Ambassador to Mexico, Guatemala, and El Salvador
- S M Zafar – Lawyer, Senator, and former Law Minister
Armed Forces officersEdit
- Lieutenant General Hamid Gul – retired, Pakistani Army
- General Shamim Alam Khan, NI(M), SJ, SBt
- General Raheel Sharif - former Chief of Army Staff
- Air Chief Marshal Mushaf Ali Mir - Former Chief of Air Staff
- Major Shabbir Sharif, NH, SJ - Recipient of sword of honour and only person to receive both Sitara-e-Jurrat & Nishan-e-Haider
- Dr. Ishfaq Ahmad - nuclear physicist; chairman of PAEC, 1991-2001
- Dr. Mujaddid Ahmad Ijaz - researcher in theoretical physics with PAEC; his son Mansoor Ijaz was involved in the memogate controversy
- Munir Ahmad Khan - Chairman of PAEC, 1972–1991; IAEA staff member, 1958–72; Chairman of IAEA Board of Governors, 1986–87
- Dr. Samar Mubarakmand - experimental nuclear physicist and missile engineer
- Aftab Iqbal-Investigative Journalist, Infotainment Comedy Anchor
- Amir Mir - investigative journalist
- Hamid Mir – journalist, political analyst and TV anchor
- Ahmed Rashid – UK-based journalist, analyst and writer
- Mansoor Ali Khan - Anchorperson To the Point
- Mubashir Lucman - Film Director turned journalist
- Najam Sethi - News Analyst
- Iqrar Ul Hassan - Hosts Sar e Aam at ARY NEWS
- Waseem Badami - Journalist at ARY News
Judiciary & lawyersEdit
- Barrister Ijaz Husain Batalvi
- Muhammad Javed Buttar - former Justice, Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Javid Iqbal – scholar; former Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court; Judge of Supreme Court; son of Dr. Sir Muhammad Iqbal
- M. R. Kayani – former Chief Justice of Lahore High Court
- Justice Asif Saeed Khosa, judge Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Makhdoom Ali Khan - Barrister, former Attorney General of Pakistan
- Nasim Hasan Shah - former Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Mian Saqib Nisar - Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Asif Saeed Khan Khosa - Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Pakistan.
Others (Businessmen, Entrepreneurs etc.)Edit
- Fraser, Gordon (2008). Cosmic anger: Abdus Salam - the first Muslim Nobel scientist. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press. pp. 78–80. ISBN 978-0-19-920846-3.
- ""I am an outsider, standing on the edge, trying to watch and enjoy the show" - TNS - The News on Sunday". TNS - The News on Sunday. 2014-06-01. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- ".:.GC University Lahore". www.gcu.edu.pk. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- ".:.GC University, Lahore". www.gcu.edu.pk. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "University of the Punjab - Former Vice Chancellors". pu.edu.pk. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- Ayoub, Raymond G.; James G. Huard; Kenneth S. Williams (May 1998). "Sarvadaman Chowla (1907-1995)" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society. 45 (5): 594–598. ISSN 0002-9920. OCLC 1480366. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Ashfaq Ahmed". Ibitians.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif". The Story of Pakistan. Enterprise Team. June 1, 2003. Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- Maulana Dost Muhammad Shahid Sahib. "Brief Life Sketch of Chaudhry Sir Muhammad Zafarullah Khan". Al Islam. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Profile: Lt General Raheel Sharif". Dawn. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Dewar, Ramesh (2006). "Dev Anand". Bollywood:Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. Star Publications. p. 2013.
- "Iqbal's Profile". Allamaiqbal.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Poets". Encyclopedia of Pakistan. Overseas Pakistanis Foundation. December 2006. Archived from the original on September 22, 2008. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Justice (R) Dr. Javed Iqbal". Senator biographies. Pakistan Senate. 2004. Archived from the original on February 27, 2012. Retrieved July 23, 2011.