List of Presidents of Somalia
This is a list of Presidents of Somalia. Since the establishment of the office of president in 1960, there have been 9 official presidents. The president is the head of state of Somalia and the commander-in-chief of the Somali Armed Forces. The current president is Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, elected in 2017.
|Name||Portrait||Birth–Death||Elected||Took office||Left office||Political party|
|• Somali Republic (1960–1969) •|
|1||Aden Adde||1908–2007||1960||1 July 1960||10 June 1967||SYL|
|2||Abdirashid Shermarke||1919–1969||1967||10 June 1967||15 October 1969
|3||Sheikh Mukhtar Mohamed Hussein
|1912–2012||—||15 October 1969||21 October 1969
|• Somali Democratic Republic (1969–1991) •|
|21 October 1969||26 January 1991
|Military / |
|• Interim Government of Somalia (1991–1997) •|
|5||Ali Mahdi Muhammad||1939–||1991||27 January 1991||3 January 1997||USC|
|Vacant (3 January 1997–27 August 2000)|
|• Transitional National Government of Somalia (2000–2004) •|
|6||Abdiqasim Salad||1941–||2000||27 August 2000||14 October 2004||Independent|
|• Transitional Federal Government of Somalia (2004–2012) •|
|7||Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed||1934–2012||2004||14 October 2004||29 December 2008
|1957–||—||29 December 2008||31 January 2009||RRA|
|9||Sharif Sheikh Ahmed||1964–||2009||31 January 2009||20 August 2012||ARS|
|• Federal Republic of Somalia (2012–present) •|
|10||Muse Hassan Sheikh Sayid Abdulle
|1939–||—||20 August 2012||28 August 2012||Independent|
|1945–||—||28 August 2012||16 September 2012||Independent|
|12||Hassan Sheikh Mohamud||1955–||2012||16 September 2012||16 February 2017||PDP|
|13||Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo||1962–||2017||16 February 2017||Incumbent
(mandate expires on 16 February 2021)
- Also styled as President of Supreme Revolutionary Council
- From November 1991 to 1995, Ali Mahdi Muhammad enjoyed recognition as President in the international community following the 1991 Djibouti conference: "at the second Djibouti conference (Aideed boycotted the first) held between 15 and 21 July 1991, Ali Mahdi was elected interim President of Somalia for a period of two years[...] Because of the legitimacy conferred on Ali Mahdi by the Djibouti conference, his government was recognized by several countries, including Djibouti, Egypt, Italy, and Saudi Arabia"; c.f. .
- In the second half of the 1990s, different faction leaders vied for the Presidency, with none receiving international recognition. General Mohamed Farrah Aidid claimed to be President from 15 June 1995 to his death on 1 August 1996, followed by his son Hussein Farrah Aidid from 2 August 1996 to 20 March 1998.
- From 20 August 2012 to 28 August 2012, Muse Hassan Abdulle served as acting Speaker of the Parliament, and as such, as acting President while elections for a new Speaker and President were forthcoming. Per Article 95 of the provisional constitution Archived 2013-01-24 at the Wayback Machine: "If the Office of the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia falls vacant, the Speaker of the House of the People of the Federal Parliament shall act as President of the Federal Republic until such time as a new President of the Federal Republic is elected, within a maximum of thirty (30) days."; also c.f. Rulers.org – August 2012, .
- Lists of office-holders
- List of current heads of state and government