List of New South Wales government agencies
The executive branch of the Government of New South Wales, Australia, is made up of a number of departments, state-owned corporations and other agencies. These are identified in the Government Sector Employment Act 2013 and other legislation. In 2009, most State government agencies – which at the time numbered more than 100 – were restructured into 13 'super agencies' or clusters. This number was subsequently reduced to ten clusters in 2013; and in July 2019 following the 2019 state election, it was further reduced to eight clusters.
The Government is made up of:
- departments, which are the lead agencies in each cluster
- executive agencies, which are agencies related to departments
- separate agencies, which operate independently of departments but can still be within clusters
- statutory authorities, which are established under legislation but sit outside clusters
- state-owned corporations
- subsidiaries of the NSW Government established under the Corporations Act
- councils under the Local Government Act
There are also a number of advisory boards and committees, though these are not agencies in their own right.
The NSW Public Sector employs more than 325,000 people (full-time equivalent), almost all of whom work within one of the eight clusters. The restructure into eight clusters took effect on 1 July 2019.
|Premier and Cabinet||1,198|||
|Planning, Industry and Environment||
(Communities and Justice)
List of agenciesEdit
|Department of Education||Department||Education|||
|Department of Communities and Justice||Department||Stronger Communities|
|Department of Customer Service||Department||Customer Service|
|Ministry of Health||Department||Health|
|Department of Planning, Industry and Environment||Department||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Department of Premier and Cabinet||Department||Premier|
|Department of Transport||Department||Transport|
|Environment Protection Authority||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Health Care Complaints Commission||Health|
|Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal||Premier and Cabinet|
|Information and Privacy Commission||Customer Service|
|Inspector of the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission||Premier and Cabinet|
|Law Enforcement Conduct Commission||Stronger Communities|
|Legal Aid Commission||Stronger Communities|
|New South Wales Crime Commission||Stronger Communities|
|New South Wales Electoral Commission||Premier and Cabinet|
|NSW Education Standards Authority||Education|
|Office of the Children's Guardian||Stronger Communities|
|Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions||Stronger Communities|
|Ombudsman||Premier and Cabinet|
|Public Service Commission||Premier and Cabinet|
|Technical & Further Education Commission||Education|
This is a list of executive agencies of the NSW Government:
|Art Gallery of New South Wales Trust||Planning, Industry and Environment||225|
|Australian Museum Trust||Premier and Cabinet||168|
|Crown Solicitor's Office||Stronger Communities|
|Fire & Rescue NSW||Stronger Communities|
|Greater Sydney Commission||Premier and Cabinet|
|Health Professional Councils Authority||Health|
|Infrastructure NSW||Premier and Cabinet|
|Local Land Services||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Mental Health Commission||Health|
|Multicultural NSW||Stronger Communities|
|Natural Resources Commission||Premier and Cabinet|
|NSW Institute of Sport||Stronger Communities|
|NSW Rural Fire Service||Stronger Communities|
|NSW State Emergency Service||Stronger Communities|
|Office of Sport||Stronger Communities||724|
|Parliamentary Counsel's Office||Premier and Cabinet|
|Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences||Premier and Cabinet||246|
|SAS Trustee Corporation||Treasury|
|Service NSW||Customer Service|
|State Library of New South Wales||Premier and Cabinet||297|
|Sydney Opera House Trust||Premier and Cabinet||535|
Statutory State-owned corporationsEdit
|Essential Energy||Planning, Industry and Environment||3,158|
|Forestry Corporation||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Hunter Water Corporation||Planning, Industry and Environment||480|
|Landcom||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Port Authority of New South Wales||Transport|
|Sydney Water Corporation||Planning, Industry and Environment||2,555|
|Transport Asset Holding Entity||Transport|
|Water NSW||Planning, Industry and Environment|
|Audit Office of NSW||Entity external to government||n/a|
|Independent Commission Against Corruption||Entity external to government||n/a|
|Judicial Commission||Entity external to government||n/a|
|Parliament of New South Wales||Entity external to government||n/a|
|NSW Police Force||Service||Stronger Communities||19,759|
- Clennell, Andrew (21 July 2009). "Super idea – a pity about the red tape". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Governance arrangements chart" (PDF). New South Wales Department of Premier & Cabinet. 1 July 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Government Sector Employment Act 2013, Schedule 1". New South Wales Legislation. 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Administrative Arrangements (Administrative Changes—Public Service Agencies) Order 2019 [NSW] (159)" (PDF). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales. 2 April 2019. p. 7-8. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Improving NSW Government Branding". Department of Premier & Cabinet. 2017.
- "2017 Workforce Profile Report". Public Service Commission.
- "Machinery of Government". NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet. Archived from the original on 14 June 2019. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Government Notices (30)" (PDF). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales. 2 April 2019. p. 1088-1090. Retrieved 3 April 2019.