List of LGBT-related slurs
This article possibly contains inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is a list of LGBT-related slurs that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender and non-binary people, or to refer to them in a derogatory (that is, critical), pejorative (disapproving or contemptuous), or otherwise insulting manner.
|Queer||English||Fake or crooked||Has been reclaimed by some LGBT individuals.|||
|Bender||English||Someone who twists something|||
|Deviant||English||Wrong and different|||
|Girlie men||English||Effeminate man|||
|Sodomite||English||Man who has anal sex|||
|Nancy||English||Homosexual or effeminate man|||
|Brownie||English||Man who enjoys being anally penetrated|||
|Pillow-biter||English||Man who enjoys being anally penetrated|||
|Bugger||English||Man who has anal sex|||
|Cola||Chilean Spanish||"Tail", man who enjoys being anally penetrated|||
|Fudgepacker||English||Man who enjoys to penetrate anally|||
|Nelly||English||A feminine man|||
|Fag hag||English||Woman who likes to associate with androphilic men|||
|Fish||English||"Fish" as in something smelling badly||Used by some gay men to refer to women|||
|Rug muncher||English||A woman who performs cunnilingus|||
|Homintern||English||Homosexual advocate, member of the so-called "Gay Mafia"||Used during the McCarthyist scare|||
|Bent||English||Crooked or wrong||Used in the United Kingdom|||
The use of the word gay as a generalized pejorative adjective (e.g.,"Giving us more homework is so gay!") is considered by some to be homophobic, because it implies that homosexuality is wrong. A 2015 YouGov survey found that 49 per cent of 18 to 29 year-olds believe the use of the word like that to be acceptable.
|Faggot/Fag||English||Homosexual man||Used in North America.[a]|||
|Fjolla||Swedish||Effeminate homosexual man|||
|Machobög||Swedish||Masculine homosexual man|||
|Viado||Portuguese||Feminine homosexual man|||
|Shirtlifter||English||A gay man who is sexually aggressive towards young boys|||
|Bardash||English||Man who is submissive during homosexual acts||Derives from an Italian world for male prostitute|||
|Bakla||Several||Used in the Philippines|||
|Batiman||Belizean Creole||"Butt man": a gay man||Used in Belize.|||
|Moffie||English, Afrikaans||Homosexual man who bottoms||Used in South Africa|||
|Ponce||English||Homosexual man who is unmasculine|||
|Tapette||French||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Steamer||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Nola||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Flit||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Daffodil||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Jocker||English||Masculine homosexual man|||
|Quean||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Greek||English||Homosexual man who is masculine|||
|Tonk||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Lizzie||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Wonk||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine|||
|Dorian||English||Homosexual man, maculine and feminine|||
|Poove||English||Homosexual man who is not very masculine||Often used in prisons in the past|||
|Ogay||English||A play on the brand Olay|||
|Batty boy/batty man||English||Homosexual man||Used in West India and the Caribbean|||
|Nancy/nancy boy||English||Homosexual or effeminate man|||
|Woofter||English||Homosexual or effeminate man||Alteration of poofter|||
|Twinkie/twink||English||Homosexual or effeminate man|||
|Swish||English||Effeminate homosexual man|||
|Nelly/nellie||English||Effeminate homosexual man|||
Prejudice against lesbians is called lesbophobia
|Dyke||English||Lesbian, homosexual woman||Has been partly reclaimed by some women.|||
|Bollera||Spanish||Lesbian, homosexual woman|||
|Lesbo||English||Lesbian, homosexual woman|||
|Flata||Swedish||Lesbian, homosexual woman||Outdated and rarely used as a pejorative in the 21st century|||
|Bofe||Portuguese||Masculine lesbian||Used in Brazil|||
|Caminhoneira||Portuguese||Masculine lesbian||Used in Brazil|||
|Gouine||French||Lesbian, homosexual woman||Has been partly reclaimed by some women.|||
|Goudou||French||Lesbian, homosexual woman||Has been partly reclaimed by some women.|||
Against bisexual peopleEdit
Prejudice against bisexual people is called biphobia
|AC/DC||English||Goes both ways||Used in North America|||
|Switch hitter||English||Doing it both right and left||Comes from baseball terminology for a player who bats both right and left handed|||
|Bislut||English||Bisexual slut||Comes from the idea that bisexuals are more promiscuous|||
|Lug||English||"Lesbian until graduation"||Used against women who have had homosexual relationships in the past but are now with men|||
|Fauxbians||English||Fake lesbian, often for attention||Sometimes used against bisexual women|||
Against transgender peopleEdit
Prejudice against transgender people is called transphobia
|Tranny/Trannie||English||Diminutive of transvestite or transgender||Mostly targeted towards transgender women.|||
|Shim||English||Portmanteau of “she” and “him”|||
|HeShe||English||Often not derogatory within African American LGBT communities|||
|Transtrender||English||Someone pretending to be transgender||Implies that one who claims to be transgender is only doing it for attention|||
Prejudice against trans men is called transphobia.
Prejudice against trans women is called transmisogyny
|Shemale||English||Woman who's had top surgery or breast growth from HRT, but not bottom surgery||May be used by trans sex workers|||
|Dickgirl||English||A woman with a penis|||
|Chicks with dicks||English|||
|Mahu||Hawaiian||Hermaphrodite, masculine woman, feminine man||Was not originally offensive|||
|Trap||English||Originally only applied to convincingly feminine-appearing crossdressers|||
Against intersex peopleEdit
|Hermaphrodite||English||Having both sexes||Formerly a medical term.[b]|||
|Izak||Dari, Pashto||Someone without a distinct sex||Used in Afghanistan|||
|Hybrid||English||A being with mixed origins|||
|Napumsakapandaka||Tamil||A person born without either male or female external genitalia[c]||A kind of Pandaka|||
|Napumsaka||Tamil||A male who can not have sex due to absence of sexual organs from birth|||
|Transvestite||English||Old word for cross-dresser||Often used for men. Similar words in other languages are the preferred term[d]|||
|Quean||English||Drag performer||Originally meant "a woman of low morality"|||
|Pondan||Malaysian||Homosexual cross-dressing man|||
|Hommasse||French||Woman who cross-dresses, "hewoman"|||
|Hermaphroditi||Early Modern English||Masculine woman who cross-dresses||Not used to refer to people with the word hermaphrodite|||
Against androgynous peopleEdit
|Berdache||French||"Boy prostitute"||Used by anthropologists as a term for Amerindian androgynous people, primarily men|||
|Chaser[e]||English||Someone who is, or is interested in being, in a relationship with a transperson||Implies that the interest is only fetishistic or predatory|||
|Fence-sitter||English||A Questioning person|||
|Khusra||Urdu||A transgender woman, hijra, gay man, effeminate man, or someone who lacks male reproductive organs.||"Aimed at emasculating"; used in Pakistan|||
|Kteuy||Several||Male bodied LGBT individual who doesn't align with social expectations||May not be derogatory outside of Cambodia|||
|Breeder||English||Someone who reproduces biologically||Used against any person in a relationship which can produce biological children|||
|Fruit fly||English||A person with many LGBT friends|||
- In British English the words Faggot and Fag have other, innocuous meanings, notably a type of food and a cigarette respectively.
- Term is still used in biology.
- Said to be punishment for having castrated animals in a previous life.
- Such as Transvestit in Swedish and Travesti in some Spanish speaking territories, European Portuguese and in the La Francophonie (French speaking regions).
- Or tranny chaser.
- MARISSA HIGGINS (February 4, 2016). "Is The Word "Queer" Offensive? Here's A Look At Its History In The LGBTQA+ Community". Bustle. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Neil Chakraborti, Jon Garland; Hate Crime: Impact, Causes and Responses - page: 67
- Didier Eribon; Insult and the Making of the Gay Self - page: 357
- Grant, J. (2014), The Boy Problem: Educating Boys in Urban America 1870-1970. Johns Hopkins University Press, New York, pp. 143-144. ISBN 978-1-4214-1259-7.
- Joanna Grossman and Linda McClain (September 21, 2004). "The "Girlie Men" Slur and Similar Insults: How They Show the Persistence of Sex-role Stereotypes". FindLaw. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Ritch Williams-Savin; ...And Then I Became Gay"": Young Men's Stories - page: 31
- The Eighteenth Century, Volume 46–47 - page: 175
- Stephen Tropiano; The Prime Time Closet: A History of Gays and Lesbians on TV
- "nancy". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- Anthony Slide; Gay's the Word: Being a Brief History of the Secret Language of Homosexuality
- Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor; The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English - 310
- The Advocate, 16 August 2005 - page 104
- "Definition of 'bugger'". Collins Dictionary. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Gay Dictionary | how to say gay in spanish | gay spanish | gay spain - Cola". www.moscasdecolores.com. 2017-12-16.
- Veronica E. Bloomfield, Marni E. Fisher; LGBTQ Voices in Education: Changing the Culture of Schooling
- Jessica E. Wilson (2014). "Gender Terminology Definitions 2014". SlideShare. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Cathy Crimmins; How the Homosexuals Saved Civilization: The Time and Heroic Story of How Gay Men Shaped the Modern World
- Jane Ward; Not Gay: Sex Between Straight White Men - page: 206
- Dave Hill, Leena Helavaara Robertson; Equality in the Primary School: Promoting Good Practice Across the Curriculum - page: 284
- María Claudia André, Eva Paulino Bueno; Latin American Women Writers: An Encyclopedia
- The Limits of Westernization: A Cultural History of America in Turkey
- "From Auden to Wilde: a roll call of gay talent". The Spectator. April 9, 2016.
- Gregory Woods, Homintern: How Gay Culture Liberated the Modern World
- Laurence Urdang; The Oxford Thesaurus 1997 - page: 206
- "bent". Lexico Dictionaries. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Definition of 'bent'". Collins English Dictionary. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "bent". Cambridge English Dictionary. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Labour claims MP's punishment for gay slur is 'confidential' - PinkNews · PinkNews". www.pinknews.co.uk.
- "Celebrity Big Brother 2014: N-Dubz rapper Dappy warned by producers". The Independent. January 7, 2014.
- Robert Postic; Elizabeth Prough (4 November 2014). "That's Gay! Gay as a Slur Among College Students". Sage Open. 4 (4). 215824401455699. doi:10.1177/2158244014556996.
- Mark McCormack (19 May 2012). "The Complexity of 'That's So Gay'". Psychology Today. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Will Young (24 November 2013). "Using the word 'gay' to mean 'crap' is a form of bullying of gay people". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Rick Kelsey; Jimmy Blake (22 April 2015). "Phrase 'that's gay' acceptable to nearly half of young people". BBC Newsbeat. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "faggot". Lexico Dictionaries. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "fag". Lexico Dictionaries. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin. 2000. ISBN 978-0-618-70172-8.
- Kristian Gerner, Klas-Göran Karlsson, Anders Hammarlund; Nordens Medelhav: Östersjöområdet som historia, myt och projekt - page: 75
- Kristian Gerner, Klas-Göran Karlsson, Anders Hammarlund; Nordens Medelhav: Östersjöområdet som historia, myt och projekt - page: 84
- Marysol Asencio; Latina/o Sexualities: Probing Powers, Passions, Practices, and Policies - page: 268
- Julie Coleman; Love, Sex, and Marriage: A Historical Thesaurus - page: 248
- An Encyclopedia of Swearing: The Social History of Oaths, Profanity, Foul Language, and Ethnic Slurs in the English-speaking World
- A Worlde of Wordes - Page 25
- T. Ruanni F. Tupas; (Re)making Society: The Politics of Language, Discourse, and Identity in the Philippines - page: 178
- Scott, Julia (May 22, 2015). "The Lonely Fight Against Belize's Antigay Laws". The New York Times. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Cayetano, Isani (April 9, 2014). "Transgender woman is stoned and beaten by an angry mob". News 5. Belize. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- de Waal, Shaun (2013). "Etymological note: On 'Moffie'". In Cameron, Edwin; Gevisser, Mark (eds.). Defiant Desire: Gay and Lesbian Lives in South Africa. Routledge. p. xiii. ISBN 1136656022.
- "tapette | translation French to English: Cambridge Dictionary". dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Definition of sod in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford English Dictionary. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Definition of fairy in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford English Dictionary. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (27 August 2019). "Ion Fury dev U-turns on promise to pull in-game homophobic slur". Eurogamer. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "batty boy". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "batty boy". Collins English Dictionary. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "woofter". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "twinkie". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "swish". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "nelly". Lexico. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- Emily Askew, O. Wesley Allen; Beyond Heterosexism in the Pulpit
- Nancy Vosburg, Jacky Collins; Lesbian Realities/Lesbian Fictions in Contemporary Spain - page: 125
- Kevin Ohi; Dead Letters Sent: Queer Literary Transmission
- "Inga uttryck blir flata när hbt skriver sitt abc". Sydsvenskan.
- Andrea Stevenson Allen; Violence and Desire in Brazilian Lesbian Relationships
- "gouine - traduction - Dictionnaire Français-Anglais WordReference.com". www.wordreference.com (in French). Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "goudou — Wiktionnaire". fr.wiktionary.org. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Fritz Klein, Karen Yescavage, Jonathan Alexander; Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Others - page: 45
- Joseph Rauch (July 1, 2016). "Mental Health Problems Bisexual Men and Women Deal With". TalkSpace. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Stories". unslutproject.com. The UnSlut Project. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Rebecca F. Plante; Sexualities in Context: A Social Perspective - page: 217
- Feminista Jones (May 7, 2013). "[TALK LIKE SEX] Faux + Lesbians = Fauxbians". Ebony. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Kalpana Sharma; Missing: Half the Story: Journalism as if Gender Matters
- Sociology of Sexualities - Page: 66
- Micah Rajunov, A. Scott Duane; Nonbinary: Memoirs of Gender and Identity
- Mamone, Trav (22 March 2017). "Science Proves Trans People Aren't Making It Up". Paste.
- Finch, Sam Dylan (5 April 2017). ""Transtrender" Is a Useless Concept; Even By Choice, We're Still Valid". Wear Your Voice.
- Marsh, Sarah (23 March 2016). "The gender-fluid generation: young people on being male, female or non-binary". The Guardian.
- "Zero Tolerance Policy - Oxford University LGBTQ+ Society" (PDF).
- "What does hefemale mean?". WordHippo. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
Noun: (derogatory) A female-to-male transsexual or transgender person.
- Kath Browne and Catherine J. Nash; Queer Methods and Methodologies Intersecting Queer Theories and Social Science Research - page:139
- "What Are Appropriate Labels & Terms For Transgender People?". www.plannedparenthood.org.
- "Shemale: Why you should never use this word to describe trans women - PinkNews · PinkNews". www.pinknews.co.uk.
- Laura Erickson-Schroth; Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community - page: 578
- Andrew Matzner; O Au No Keia: Voices from Hawaii's Mahu and Transgender Communities - page: 15
- "In Case You Are Unsure - Here's What Not To Say To Transgender People". HuffPost UK. 29 August 2017.
- "Glossary of Terms - Transgenderwebsite=GLAAD Media Reference Guide". 2011-09-09.
- Tait, Amelia (2018-11-19). "Mumsnet moderators are struggling to find the line between free speech and transphobia". Wired UK. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
...transphobic terms such as 'trans-identified male' (used offensively instead of 'trans woman')
- Ntim, Zac (2018-06-13). "Mumsnet brings in tougher forum rules after transgender row". The Guardian. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
Mumsnet moderators are now likely to delete potentially 'hurtful' comments that...mention the term 'Trans-Identified Male'.
- Wallace Swan; The Routledge Handbook of LGBTQIA Administration and Policy
- MATT FOWLER (2 July 2009). "LINE-O-RAMA: THE ROCK SAYS: One-on-one with The Great One's best quotes". IGN. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan - Page 145
- Elizabeth Reis; Bodies in Doubt: An American History of Intersex
- Meanjin Volume 55 - page: 119
- Meanjin Volume 55 - page: 113
- Serving LGBTIQ Library and Archives Users: Essays on Outreach, Service, Collections and Access
- Hatbrott 2006: En sammanställning av polisanmälningar med främlingsfientliga, islamofobiska, antisemitiska och homofobiska motiv
- Laura Erickson-Schroth: Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community - page: 15
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Psychology and Gender
- George Haggerty, Bonnie Zimmerman; Encyclopedia of Lesbian and Gay Histories and Cultures - page: 1112
- The Culture-Bound Syndromes: Folk Illnesses of Psychiatric and Anthropological Interest - Page: 53
- Eve E. Brooks (December 2009). "THE COASTAL ECUADORIAN TRAVESTÍ: AN ANALYSIS OF SOCIAL SPACE". fau.digital.flvc.org. Florida Atlantic University. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Kerrin P. Rowe. Third Language Dictionary
- Beyond Common Sense: Sexuality And Gender In Contemporary Japan - page: 358
- Tom Boellstorff; A Coincidence of Desires: Anthropology, Queer Studies, Indonesia - page: 80
- Kittredge Cherry (May 30, 2018). "Joan of Arc: Cross-dressing warrior-saint and LGBTQ role model". Q Spirit. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Transgender warriors: making history from Joan of Arc to RuPaul - Page: 33
- R. Gilbert; Early Modern Hermaphrodites: Sex and Other Stories - page: 77
- Maxine Baca Zinn, Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo, Michael A. Messner; Gender Through the Prism of Difference - page: 511
- James W. Messerschmidt; Flesh and Blood: Adolescent Gender Diversity and Violence - page: 145
- Glenn Greenwald; Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
- Simon LeVay; Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation - page: 1
- "LGBT Terminology". LGBT Resource Center | USC. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
While this term is claimed in an affirmative manner by some, it is largely regarded as derogatory.
- Erickson-Schroth, Laura (2014). Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199325351.
A derogatory term for people who actively seek out transgender people for sexual or romantic purposes.
- Boslaugh, Sarah (2018). Transgender Health Issues. ABC-CLIO. p. 163. ISBN 9781440858888.
Many people find the term derogatory and insulting to both transgender people and the "chasers".
- Mikki Van Zyl, Melissa E. Steyn; Performing Queer: Shaping sexualities, 1994-2004 - page: 127
- Simi Kamal (September 2016). "Silent No More; Transgender Community in Pakistan: A Research Study" (PDF). af.org.pk. Aurat Foundation and Information Services Foundation; and US Aid: From the American People. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Global Terms". digitaltransgenderarchive.net. Digital Transgender Archive. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- David Campos; Understanding Gay and Lesbian Youth: Lessons for Straight School Teachers, Counselors, and Administrators - page: 215
- Eric Marcus; Making History: The Struggle for Gay and Lesbian Equal Rights, 1945-1990: An Oral History - page: 138