List of Indian states and union territories by literacy rate
Literacy rate in India is uneven and as such, different States and Union Territories of India have differences in their literacy rates. The following table shows the 2011 and 2001 census data on total literacy rate, male literacy rate, female literacy rate and decadal difference in percentage. According to Census 2011, Kerala has the highest total literacy rate and female literacy rate whereas Lakshadweep had the highest male literacy rate. Bihar has the lowest total literacy rate and male literacy rates while Rajasthan has the lowest female literacy rate. Literacy figures are collected by census takers which essentially means literacy (or lack thereof ) is self assessed.
The 2021 census will give us more clarity about the literacy rates in each state.
Source: Niti Aayog
|Rank||India/State/Union Territory||Literacy Rate (%) – 2011 Census||Literacy Rate (%) – 2001 Census
||Decadal Difference (pp)|
|6||Daman and Diu||87.07||78.18||8.89|
|10||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||86.27||81.30||4.97|
|19||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||77.65||57.63||20.02|
|30||Jammu and Kashmir||68.74||55.52||13.22|
|36||Bihar||63.82%[d]||Official Literacy rate data available on Bihar govt. website,Read [[Bihar Official Report|
- In September 2013, the State Government of Tripura claimed that the state has surpassed Kerala as the most literate state in India, with a literacy rate of 94.65%.
- As per a state government report (based on the 2011 census data), literacy rate of Andhra Pradesh was recorded as 67.35%.
- Census 2011 data was calculated for unified Andhra Pradesh. As per Times of India report which quoted the literacy rates of Telangana as 66.5%.
- Bihar is a state filled with meritorious students and most of the seats in competitive exams like NEET,IIT,UPSC,etc are occupied by students of Bihar.Think of,if literacy rate of bihar goes upto 90-100% then almost all the seats will be covered by students of bihar.Earlier when i checked this list Bihar was missing from list why? i have now added it..now this list is complete -A.P(Bihar) ,Read History of Bihar 
- In September 2014, the State Government of Tripura claimed that the state has surpassed Kerala as the most literate state in India, with a literacy rate of (97.65%), But recent studies claim that Kerala is the most literate state in India.
- As per a government report dated May 2014 (based on the 2011 census data), literacy rate of Andhra Pradesh is 67.4%.
- Census 2011 data was calculated for unified Andhra Pradesh. As per Times of India report which quoted the literacy rates of Telangana as 68.5%.
- "Ranking of states and union territories by literacy rate: 2011" (PDF). Government of India.
- "Census 2011, Chapter 6 (State of Literacy), p.14" (PDF). Government of India.
- "India at a glance". Government of India.
- "Literacy Rate – 7+years (%)". NITI Aayog, (National Institution for Transforming India), Government of India. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- "Tripura has achieved first position in literacy". decccan herald. 8 September 2013.
- "Tripura beats Kerala in literacy". Times of India. 8 September 2013.
- "Statistical Abstract Andhra Pradesh, 2018" (PDF). CORE Dashboard. Gollapudi, Vijayawada: Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Government of Andhra Pradesh. p. II. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Nag, Kingshuk (2 June 2014). "T-party today: India's 29th state Telangana is born". Times of India.
- Ancient_Bihar, Magadh (4 August 2019). "History of Bihar". History of Bihar.