List of Harry Potter cast members
This is a list of Harry Potter cast members who voiced or portrayed characters appearing in the film series. The list below is sorted by film and the character's surname, as some characters have been portrayed by multiple actors.
Several actors of the United Kingdom and Ireland voiced or portrayed characters appearing in the Harry Potter film series based on the book series by J. K. Rowling. In all the films, Daniel Radcliffe played Harry Potter, Rupert Grint played Ron Weasley and Emma Watson played Hermione Granger. When they were cast only Radcliffe had previously acted in a film. Complementing them on screen are such actors as Helena Bonham Carter, Jim Broadbent, John Cleese, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Richard Griffiths, Richard Harris, John Hurt, Jason Isaacs, Miriam Margolyes, Helen McCrory, Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman, Fiona Shaw, Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, Imelda Staunton, David Thewlis, Emma Thompson, and Julie Walters, among others. Thirteen actors have appeared as the same character in all eight films of the series.
Some well-known British actors, who have not appeared in the series, were asked in jest why they had not been cast. When David Yates was directing the fifth film, Bill Nighy (who knew Yates personally) said that he hoped the director would cast him in Harry Potter. "But nobody called", Nighy added. However, in 2009, Yates cast Nighy as Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour in the seventh film. Nighy said, "I am no longer the only English actor not to be in Harry Potter and I am very pleased." Jude Law once quipped, "Nobody's asked me. I was a bit too old for Harry." When a reporter compared Potions professor Horace Slughorn's obsession with famous names to the series' connection to "every notable British actor" in 2009, Jim Broadbent (who plays Slughorn) said, "Well, not every actor gets invited. I know some who are still waiting."
J. K. Rowling gave a speech during the world premiere of the final film in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, on 7 July 2011 in London. Rowling praised the film series' acting talent and announced that there are seven young Harry Potter cast members whom she refers to as "The Big Seven"; they are Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Tom Felton, Matthew Lewis, Evanna Lynch and Bonnie Wright.
- A dark grey cell indicates the character was not in the film.
- A V indicates a voice-only role.
- A Y indicates an appearance as a younger version of a pre-existing character.
- A A indicates an appearance via archival recordings only.
- A Often, minor child parts—in this case, Harry as an infant—are played by twins or triplets to avoid overworking the children. The given names of each of the Saunders triplets are unknown; they were credited in the film as "Saunders triplets".
- B Michael Gambon replaced Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards after Harris's death.
- C Warwick Davis played Filius Flitwick in the first two films as an old dwarf-like man with gray hair. In pre-production for the third film, the producers told Davis there was no role for Flitwick, but that they would like to have him play somebody else, at least for a cameo. Davis played a much younger-looking man with black hair and a moustache who directed the choir at the Hogwarts Welcome Feast, and was credited as portraying "Wizard". During pre-production for the fourth film, director Mike Newell told Davis he wanted to keep his look from the last film but make this the new look for Flitwick. Davis now considers the character he has played some relative of Flitwick, though he is still credited as "Filius Flitwick". In the sixth film, Harry specifically calls him Professor Flitwick, as does McGonagall in the seventh, calling him Filius.
- D Rob Knox was stabbed to death on 24 May 2008 before Half-Blood Prince was released. The cast and crew of Half-Blood Prince wore white ribbons to the London premiere of the film in tribute to Knox.
- E Vincent Crabbe is a recurring, minor character who appears in every book and dies in a pivotal scene in Deathly Hallows. Jamie Waylett portrays the character in the first six films. During production of the seventh film, Waylett pleaded guilty to charges of growing marijuana. Joshua Herdman, who plays Crabbe's best friend Gregory Goyle, said in August 2009 that Waylett would not be reprising his role and Herdman's character would die instead.
- F A scene with a young Lily Potter was filmed for Order of the Phoenix but ended up being cut from the theatrical version.
- G A few scenes with the young Lucius Malfoy, portrayed by Tony Coburn, were shot for Half Blood Prince but were eventually cut from the film.
- H Viktor Krum made an appearance at Bill and Fleur's wedding, but his part was cut from the final film.
- I A scene with Peeves was filmed for Philosopher's Stone but ended up being cut from the theatrical version.
- O'Sullivan, Michael (25 May 2007). "Underneath It All, He's Still Bill Nighy". The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 June 2007.
- "Bill Nighy to star in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". BBC News. Newsround. 6 July 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- Adler, Shawn (4 October 2007). "Say Jude, Let's Find You A Role In 'Harry Potter'". MTV. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved 17 November 2007.
- Boucher, Geoff (11 January 2009). "Jim Broadbent joins the 'Harry Potter' honor roll". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- J.K. Rowling's Emotional Speech at the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. YouTube.
- Chris Columbus (director) (4 November 2001). Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (DVD). Event occurs at 2:24:12.
- Chris Columbus (director) (3 November 2002). Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (DVD). Event occurs at 2:25:56.
- Cuarón, Alfonso (director) (31 May 2004). Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (DVD). Event occurs at 2:10:00.
- Mike Newell (director) (18 November 2005). Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (DVD). Event occurs at 2:23:08.
- Yates, David (director) (11 July 2007). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (DVD). Event occurs at 2:10:52.
- Yates, David (director) (15 July 2009). Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (DVD). Event occurs at 2:23:21.
- Yates, David (director) (18 November 2010). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (DVD). Event occurs at 2:13:44.
- Yates, David (director) (13 July 2011). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (DVD). Event occurs at 2:01:28.
- Dale, Paul (28 February 2010). "Greenberg revealed at The List Surprise Movie at GFF". The List. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- Waxman, Sharon (6 June 1996). "Infant TV Actors Are Overworked, Critics Charge; Watchdog Group Presses For Tougher Industry Rules". The Washington Post. p. A1.
- Woodman, Tenley (27 August 2004). "It doesn't take genius to know 'Baby' is bad". The Boston Globe. p. E27.
- Jeff Jensen (28 October 2005). "A Look Back". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 10 October 2007.
- "Potter film actor killed in fight". BBC News. 24 May 2008. Retrieved 24 May 2008.
- "Potter stars drenched at premiere". BBC. 8 July 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- Roth, Elyse (13 July 2014). "What Happened to Crabbe in 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'? The Film Made a Major Switc". Forbes. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Vena, Jocelyn (21 July 2009). "'Harry Potter' Actor Jamie Waylett Sentenced To Community Service". MTV. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- Linder, Brian (4 April 2001). "Potter Gloucester Set Report". IGN. Retrieved 8 August 2007.
- Schmitz, Greg Dean. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)". Yahoo!. Retrieved 8 August 2007.
- Full cast and crew for The Philosopher's Stone at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Chamber of Secrets at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Prisoner of Azkaban at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Goblet of Fire at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Order of the Phoenix at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Half-Blood Prince at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 at IMDb
- Full cast and crew for The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 at IMDb