List of Formula One driver numbers
Since the start of the 2014 Formula One season, drivers have to choose an available starting number before entering their first Grand Prix. Drivers carry this number throughout their Formula One career.
A permanent number can only be reallocated if the driver associated with that number has not participated in a race for two entire consecutive seasons; for example, numbers that were used most recently in the 2016 season can be reallocated at the beginning of 2019, providing that the driver who used the number in 2016 does not return to Formula One in 2017 or 2018. For instance, Jenson Button's number 22 would have been available for re-allocation in 2019 after his departure from full-time racing in 2016, but an appearance in the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix replacing Fernando Alonso, who was participating in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 on that weekend instead, means his number may now not be reassigned until 2020 at the earliest.
The FIA have also issued temporary numbers to drivers that are exceptions to this rule, for example if a driver withdraws from a race and a reserve driver takes their place then they receive a team-allocated number, this is also the case of free-practice-only drivers. Some examples of those numbers are 36 (used by Antonio Giovinazzi in two races), 40 (used by Paul di Resta in one race), 45 (used by André Lotterer in one race), 46 (used by Will Stevens in one race) and 47 (used by Stoffel Vandoorne in one race).
The reigning Formula One World Drivers' Champion can elect to use their allocated permanent number or car number 1 during the year following their title. The number 1 was most recently used by Sebastian Vettel in 2014.
Formula One driver numbersEdit
The following lists all Formula One driver numbers which were claimed as career numbers since the 2014 season.
This table shows the usage of each driver number over time since their introduction in 2014.
|1||Sebastian Vettel||Does not appear|
|2||Does not appear||Stoffel Vandoorne||Does not appear|
|4||Max Chilton||Does not appear||Lando Norris|
|5||Does not appear||Sebastian Vettel|
|6||Nico Rosberg||Does not appear|
|9||Marcus Ericsson||Does not appear|
|10||Kamui Kobayashi||Does not appear||Pierre Gasly|
|12||Does not appear||Felipe Nasr||Does not appear|
|13||Pastor Maldonado||Does not appear|
|14||Fernando Alonso||Does not appear|
|15||Does not appear|
|16||Does not appear||Charles Leclerc|
|17||Jules Bianchi||Number retired[N 4]|
|18||Does not appear||Lance Stroll|
|19||Felipe Massa||Does not appear|
|21||Esteban Gutiérrez||Does not appear||Esteban Gutiérrez||Does not appear|
|22||Jenson Button||Does not appear|
|23||Does not appear||Alexander Albon|
|24||Does not appear|
|25||Jean-Éric Vergne||Does not appear|
|26||Daniil Kvyat||Does not appear||Daniil Kvyat|
|28||Does not appear||Will Stevens||Does not appear||Brendon Hartley||Does not appear|
|29||Does not appear|
|30||Charles Pic †||Jolyon Palmer †||Jolyon Palmer||Does not appear|
|31||Esteban Ocon †||Does not appear||Esteban Ocon||Does not appear|
|32||Does not appear|
|33||Does not appear||Max Verstappen|
|34||Daniel Juncadella †||Does not appear||Alfonso Celis Jr. †||Nicholas Latifi †||Does not appear|
|35||Does not appear||George Russell †||Sergey Sirotkin||Does not appear|
|36||Giedo van der Garde †||Raffaele Marciello †||Does not appear||Antonio Giovinazzi (*)||Antonio Giovinazzi †||Does not appear|
|37||Sergey Sirotkin †
Adderly Fong †
|Does not appear||Charles Leclerc †||Does not appear|
|38||Max Verstappen †||Does not appear||Sean Gelael †||Does not appear|
|39||Does not appear||Brendon Hartley (*)||Does not appear|
|40||Felipe Nasr †||Does not appear||Paul di Resta (*)||Robert Kubica †||Nicholas Latifi †|
|41||Susie Wolff †||Does not appear|
|42||Alexander Rossi (*)||Fabio Leimer †||Jordan King †||Does not appear|
|43||Does not appear|
|45||André Lotterer (*)
Alexander Rossi †
Roberto Merhi †
|Does not appear||Esteban Ocon †||Does not appear|
|46||Will Stevens (*)
Robin Frijns †
|Does not appear||Sergey Sirotkin †||Artem Markelov †||Does not appear|
|47||Does not appear||Stoffel Vandoorne (*)||Does not appear||Lando Norris †||Does not appear|
|48–49||Does not appear|
|50||Does not appear||Charles Leclerc †||Antonio Giovinazzi †||Does not appear|
|51–52||Does not appear|
|53||Does not appear||Alexander Rossi||Does not appear|
|54||Does not appear|
|55||Does not appear||Carlos Sainz Jr.|
|56–62||Does not appear|
|63||Does not appear||George Russell|
|64–76||Does not appear|
|78–87||Does not appear|
|88||Does not appear||Rio Haryanto||Does not appear||Robert Kubica|
|89–93||Does not appear|
|94||Does not appear||Pascal Wehrlein||Does not appear|
|95–97||Does not appear|
|98||Does not appear||Roberto Merhi||Does not appear|
|99||Adrian Sutil||Does not appear||Antonio Giovinazzi|
(*) indicates that a number was used in race as a temporary number, by a driver substituing for another.
† indicates that a number was used in free practice only, not in any races.
- The 2018 World Drivers' Champion elected to use his own number for 2019.
- Vandoorne used number 47 while substituting for another driver.
- Vettel used number 1 when he was reigning World Champion in 2014.
- The number 17 was retired by FIA following Bianchi's death in 2015.
- Stevens used number 46 while substituting for another driver.
- Hartley used number 39 while substituting for another driver.
- Rossi used number 42 while substituting for other drivers.
- Giovinazzi used number 36 while substituting for another driver.
- Sam Tremayne. "Formula 1 drivers to get permanent numbers from 2014". Autosport.com. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- Parkes, Ian (20 July 2015). "The FIA will retire Jules Bianchi's number 17 from Formula 1". Autosport. Retrieved 11 March 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Number 17 to be retired in Bianchi's honour". Formula One World Championship Limited. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- "F1 2014: The reasons behind the numbers". GP Update. GP Update. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2015.[dead link]
- Tremayne, Sam (9 December 2013). "Formula 1 drivers to get permanent numbers from 2014". Motorsport. Motorsport.com. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "2015 F1 driver numbers". Crash.net. Crash.net. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2016.