List of Cornish saints
This is a list of Cornish saints, including saints more loosely associated with Cornwall: many of them will have links to sites elsewhere in regions with significant ancient British history, such as Wales, Brittany or Devon.
List of some of the well-known Cornish saintsEdit
N.B. All these have dedications in Cornwall but not all have legends or traditions associating them with Cornwall.
Honorary canons of TruroEdit
The 24 honorary canons of Truro Cathedral occupy stalls named after 24 saints (almost all of them Cornish): Carantoc; Buriana; Germoe; Conan; Winwalloe; Nectan; Petroc; Adwenna; Piran; Constantine; Cybi; Paul; Breaca; Neot; Rumon; Sampson; German; Meriadoc; Euni; Ia; Endelienta; Columb; Corentin; Aldhelm.
Modern Cornish saintsEdit
More recent Cornishmen recognized for sanctity include the Irish-Cornish martyr Blessed John Cornelius.
- Nicholas Roscarrock (d. 1634) left an interesting account of the lives of the saints.
- "The Legend of St Piran", BBC
- A long series of books on individual saints, and the 5 volumes The Saints of Cornwall which are based on them
- Orme, Nicholas (2000). The Saints of Cornwall. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-820765-4. Full text available at GoogleBooks (rather illegibly).
- French, Katherine. "Review of Orme's The Saints of Cornwall". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- The Saints of Great Britain and Ireland - a synaxarion
- Truro Diocesan Directory; A.D. 1977; p. 7
- The Cornish Church Guide (1925) Truro: Blackford; pp. 48-49
- Roscarrock; Genuki
- Orme, Nicholas (1996) English Church Dedications: With a Survey of Cornwall and Devon, University of Exeter Press ISBN 0-85989-516-5
- Ellis, P. B. (1992) The Cornish Saints. Penryn: Tor Mark Press (A brief basic guide giving accounts of 120 saints)
- Bowen, E. G. (1954) The Settlements of the Celtic Saints in Wales. Cardiff: University of Wales Press
- Baring-Gould, S.; Fisher, John (1907–13) Lives of the British Saints: the saints of Wales and Cornwall and such Irish saints as have dedications in Britain. 4 vols. London: For the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, by C. J. Clark
- Rees, W. J. (ed.) (1853) Lives of the Cambro British Saints: of the fifth and immediate succeeding centuries, from ancient Welsh & Latin mss. in the British Museum and elsewhere, with English translations and explanatory notes. Llandovery: W. Rees
- Wade-Evans, A. W. (ed.) (1944). Vitae Sanctorum Britanniae et Genealogiae. Cardiff: University of Wales Press Board. (Lives of saints: Bernachius, Brynach. Beuno. Cadocus, Cadog. Carantocus (I and II), Carannog. David, Dewi sant. Gundleius, Gwynllyw. Iltutus, Illtud. Kebius, Cybi. Paternus, Padarn. Tatheus. Wenefred, Gwenfrewi.--Genealogies: De situ Brecheniauc. Cognacio Brychan. Ach Knyauc sant. Generatio st. Egweni. Progenies Keredic. Bonedd y saint.)