List of 2008 Summer Paralympics medal winners
The 2008 Summer Paralympics were held in Beijing, People's Republic of China, from 6 to 17 September 2008. Approximately 3,951 athletes from 146 National Paralympic Committees (NPC) participated. Overall, 472 events in 20 sports were held; 262 events were opened to men, 176 were opened to women and 34 were mixed events.
|Medal leaders References|
† Diane Roy was initially awarded the gold, Shelly Woods the silver and Amanda McGrory the bronze in the women's 5000 m T54. However a re-run of the race was ordered by the International Paralympic Committee following protests by the Australian, US and Swiss teams after 6 competitors were involved in a crash on the penultimate lap. The re-run race resulted in the same three athletes winning medals but in a different order.
†† Rebecca Chin of Great Britain was originally awarded the silver medal in the women's discus throw F37-38 event. Following a challenge to her classification, Chin was deemed ineligible for the event, stripped of her medal, and her results were erased.
* David Weir was initially awarded the gold medal in the men's 800 m T54 but a re-run of the race was ordered after a lane violation was discovered. However, following a letter from Kurt Fearnley and the Australian authorities to the IPC, asking that, in the spirit of sportsmanship, the result not be overturned the re-run was cancelled and the medals reinstated.
||Joao Paulo Fernandes
||Hoi Ying Karen Kwok
|Manuel Ángel Martín|
|Yuk Wing Leung
|| Great Britain (GBR)
| Portugal (POR)
Joao Paulo Fernandes
| Spain (ESP) |
Francisco Javier Beltrán
Manuel Ángel Martín
|| South Korea (KOR)
| Spain (ESP)
José Manuel Rodríguez
| Portugal (POR) |
|| Brazil (BRA)
| Portugal (POR)
| Czech Republic (CZE) |
Athletes that won at least two gold medals or at least three total medals are listed below.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2010)
- "General Information: Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games". International Paralympic Committee (IPC). Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- "Woods forced to give back medal". BBC Sport. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- "Woods battles to bronze in re-run". BBC Sport. 12 September 2008. Retrieved 12 September 2008.
- Davies, Gareth A (15 September 2008). "Rebecca Chin stripped of Paralympic silver by 'failing' system". The Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 18 September 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2008.
- "Gold for Weir after appeal U-turn". BBC Sport. 14 September 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2008.