Liselotte Carola (Lissy) Gröner (31 May 1954 – 9 September 2019) was a German politician and from 1989 to 2009 was a Member of the European Parliament with the Social Democratic Party of Germany, part of the Socialist Group. She sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Culture and Education and its Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality.
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Born||31 May 1954|
|Died||9 September 2019(aged 65)|
|Political party||Social Democratic Party of Germany|
|Spouse(s)||Sabine Gillessen (2005–2019)|
- The Workers' Welfare Association (AWO)
- Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland (BUND, Association for Nature and Environmental Protection)
- Europa-Union Deutschland
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom IFFF
Main areas of workEdit
- Spokeswoman for SPD Members of the European Parliament on youth policy
Gröner was a lesbian and was married to Sabine Gillessen. The couple married in Belgium in September 2005, with Gröner announcing, "There is no discrimination of same-sex couples in Belgium by law. And this is the signal we want to give to the people in Europe, to send the message out: it's possible to honor the love of same-sex people by law".
- "Tod von Lissy Gröner löst in Neustadt Trauer aus" (in German). 10 September 2019. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- "German MEP marries lesbian partner in Brussels". euronews.com. 10 September 2005. Retrieved 11 September 2019.