|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Language localization |
|Founded||Waltham, Massachusetts, US (1996)|
|Headquarters||Waltham, Massachusetts, US|
|John Fennelly, CEO|
Number of employees
|Website||https://www.lionbridge.com (Translation) https://lionbridge.ai (AI training data)|
The company was founded in 1996. In 2005, they acquired Bowne Global Solutions, then the largest localization provider[clarification needed] worldwide. They acquired Darwin Zone, a digital marketing services agency based in Costa Rica, and Clay Tablet Technologies, a content connectivity[clarification needed] software firm, in 2014.
In 2015, they acquired Zurich-based CLS Communication, a translation services provider, and Geotext, a legal translation company. In December 2016, it was announced that Lionbridge entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by H.I.G. Capital. The deal was announced closed in May, 2017 and, subsequently, the company was delisted from Nasdaq. Lionbridge is now a privately-held company and part of the portfolio of H.I.G. companies.
In December 2018, Lionbridge fully acquired Tokyo-based Gengo, a crowdsourced translation and AI training data provider.
Lionbridge provides translation and localization solutions in 350+ languages. Including its US headquarters, the company has offices in 26 countries.
A securities class action lawsuit involving the company was filed in July 2001 under "Samet v. Lionbridge Technologies, Inc. et al." in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
In 2006, a Lionbridge employee was awarded noneconomic damages of USD 366,250 and economic damages of USD 221,433 due to failure by the company to fulfil its obligation to help the employee obtain a green card.
A 2008 court case involved an unfair dismissal claim by a former Lionbridge employee fired for union recruitment activities at the company's Warsaw office to protect employment conditions. Protests in support were held in Denmark, Spain, Poland, and Ireland.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- 2015 - Named One of America's 100 Most Trustworthy Companies by Forbes for transparency in financial reporting.
- 2018 - Named One of America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes for receiving high scores in an anonymous employee survey evaluating organizations on workplace standards. 
- 2018 - Named One of America's Best Employers for Women by Forbes. 
- 2019 - Named One of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes. 
- 2020 - Named One of America's Best Employers For Diversity by Forbes. 
- 2021 - Named the #1 Top Company for Remote Jobs by FlexJobs. 
- "TAUS Members". Taus.net.
- Bert Esselink (2003). The Evolution of Localization (PDF). Guide to Localization. Multilingual Computing and Technology. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-09-07.
- "Lionbridge Acquires Costa Rica's Darwin Zone". nearshoreamericas.com.
- "Lionbridge Protects Its Connectivity Strategy with Purchase of Middleware Provider". Common Sense Advisory.
- "Lionbridge Technologies (LIOX) Completes CLS Communication Acquisition". streetinsider.com.
- "Lionbridge to Buy CLS Communication as Market Consolidation Continues". Common Sense Advisory.
- "CLS Communication". aihitdata.com.
- "Lionbridge acquires Geotext Translations for $11M". owler.com.
- "H.I.G. Capital closes Lionbridge Tech buy - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "Lionbridge Will Be a 'Very Different Company', Says CEO John Fennelly". Slator. 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Rory Cowan: Getting the Pace Right". TAUS blog. 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Lionbridge Announces Agreement to Sell Artificial Intelligence (AI) Division". lionbridge. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "Lionbridge Locations | Office Directory". www.lionbridge.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Lionbridge Technologies, Inc". Stanford Law School Securities Class Action Clearinghouse. Stanford Law School. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- John Rotterman, Esq. (2007). "DerKevorkian v. Lionbridge Techs, Inc". Immigration Daily. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Interpretation service picketed by trade unions, activists". Metro Eireann. 10 July 2008. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "ITIA Bulletin February 2008". Irish Translators and Interpreters Association Bulletin. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "The 100 Most Trustworthy Companies In America". Forbes.
- "Lionbridge Named One of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes". lionbridge. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "America's Best Employers For Women 2020". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- Lionbridge. "Lionbridge Again Named One of America's Best Employers by Forbes". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "America's Best Employers For Diversity 2020". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- Stoller, Kristin. "The Top 100 Companies For Remote Jobs In 2021". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-01-22.