Linus and Lucy
"Linus and Lucy" is a popular jazz piano composition written by Vince Guaraldi, appearing in many of the Peanuts animated specials. Named for the fictional siblings Linus and Lucy van Pelt, it was originally released on the Vince Guaraldi Trio's album Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown (1964) and the A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack (1965).
|"Linus and Lucy"|
|Song by Vince Guaraldi Trio|
|from the album A Charlie Brown Christmas|
The piece first appeared in A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965). Since that special, the piece has introduced most of the Peanuts TV cartoons, with the exceptions of the specials and other TV programs produced between 1979 and 1992. It is one of the most recognizable pieces by Vince Guaraldi, and has gained status as the de facto theme song of the Peanuts franchise.
The song receives regular airplay on radio stations in the United States and Canada that flip to Christmas music for the holiday season due to its inclusion on the soundtrack album of A Charlie Brown Christmas. Although many protest that it is not officially a Christmas song, it has become too much a staple of the holidays to not be included. Furthermore, another song on the album, called "Christmas is Coming", has a similar sound and feel to "Linus and Lucy", yet has a Christmas name.
- Game Theory covered it for their album The Big Shot Chronicles (1986)
- Stuart Hamm covered it on bass only as part of "Quahogs Anyone? (119, 120 Whatever It Takes)" on his album The Urge (1991)
- Wynton Marsalis Septet covered it for their album Joe Cool's Blues (1995)
- George Winston covered it for his album Linus and Lucy - The Music of Vince Guaraldi (1996)
- David Benoit covered it for the album Here's to You, Charlie Brown: 50 Great Years! (2000)
- moe. covered it for their album Season's Greetings from Moe (2002)
- Béla Fleck and the Flecktones covered it for their album Jingle All the Way (2008)
- Christophe Beck performed a more contemporary version as part of "Carnival Panic/Linus and Lucy" and a slower version titled "Linus and Lucy" on The Peanuts Movie soundtrack (2015). The soundtrack also features Vince Guaraldi's original.
- Anderson.Paak covered it as a Spotify exclusive single recorded at Spotify Studios NYC(2018)