Linlithgow railway station
Linlithgow railway station is a railway station serving the town of Linlithgow in West Lothian, Scotland. It is located on the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk Line and is also served by Abellio ScotRail services from Edinburgh Waverley to Dunblane, and the daily train between Glasgow Queen Street and the Fife Circle Line.
|Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Iucha|
|Local authority||West Lothian|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North British Railway|
|21 February 1842||Opened|
|Listing grade||Category C|
|Added to list||16 March 1992|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Linlithgow from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK railways portal|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2008)
Linlithgow station was opened by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway on 21 February 1842. It once featured an east-facing bay platform and a small goods yard, where the carpark is today. The station also had a railway hotel; The Star and Garter Hotel which was involved in a devastating fire in October 2010.
Photographs of the station taken in 1845 are believed to be the oldest photographic images of a railway subject anywhere in the world.
The station is served by trains on the main Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk High main line and via the Cumbernauld Line, and the Edinburgh - Stirling - Dunblane routes, with half-hourly calls each way on all routes on Mondays to Saturdays (hourly to Dunblane on Sundays). Services via Cumbernauld terminate at Falkirk Grahamston in the evenings. The one return weekday Kirkcaldy to Glasgow commuter service also stops here in each direction.
On Sundays, the Edinburgh - Glasgow service is half hourly and the Dunblane to Edinburgh one is hourly.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Edinburgh Park||Abellio ScotRail
Glasgow - Edinburgh Line
Glasgow-Edinburgh via Cumbernauld
Edinburgh to Dunblane Line
to Fife Circle Line
Line open; station closed
|North British Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
|Manuel High Level|
Line open; station closed
- Brailsford 2017, Gaelic/English Station Index.
- Butt (1995), page 143
- "LINLITHGOW RAILWAY STATION". Historic Scotland. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Flames engulf historic town hotel". BBC News. 15 October 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- Table 226, 228 & 230 National Rail timetable, December 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Linlithgow railway station.|
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- RAILSCOT on Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
- Linlithgow station on navigable OS map