A line is a concept in western comic books which denotes a specific couple of publications by a publisher. Sometimes taking place in a separate continuity or more loose continuity (such as Vertigo by DC Comics) or exploring a kind of subject matter and or genre which the publisher does not want to involve in their main franchise or so called "universe".
Often lines which explore more "realistic" or "dark" subject matters are published under a companies sub imprints (such as Ultimate Marvel or MAX by Marvel Comics) to distinguish it from their main superhero lines. Sometimes a line can be published under an imprint but not always be part of a larger continuity within their imprint (such as The Punisher MAX line which is not in continuity with most other Marvel Max titles). A line can consist of several different titles, ongoing series, limited series, one-shots, annuals, specials or trades and be by many different artists but are advertised and marketed as part of the line. So called crossover events are often followed by a line of tie-in comics to the event miniseries from other unrelated titles to connect them.
Dark Horse Comics has several lines which focuses on their licensed film properties such as Alien, Predator and Star Wars. The Aliens line consists only of limited series, one-shots and graphic novels due to the publishers wish to allow artistic freedom. Dark Horse's Star Wars line was ended in 2014 due to Disney moving their Star Wars comics to Marvel. Dark Horse also publishes a line of comics which are creator owned but are connected through common oversight by editor Karen Berger. Most companies have several simultaneously running lines.
- "Full Details of DC's New Dark Matter Line". CBR. 20 April 2017.
- "Your Guide To ResurrXion - Marvel's New Line Of X-Men and Inhuman Comics". howtolovecomics.com. 25 October 2016.
- "Dark Horse's STAR WARS Line To End August 2014 (Sort of)". Newsarama.
- Whitbrook, James. "The Greatest Dark Horse Star Wars Comics To Buy Before They're Gone". Gizmodo.
- "Dark Horse Comics Announces a Line of Comics and Graphic Novels with Legendary Editor Karen Berger". www.darkhorse.com.
- "Dark Matter Is DC's New Artist-Centric Comic Book Line". Den of Geek.
- "DC Comics Superstars Unite For New 'Dark Matter' Line". EW.com.
- "DC Comics' NEW LINE - Out of the Box Impressions". Newsarama.
- Devoe, Noelle (23 April 2015). "FINALLY! DC Comics Is Launching A Comic Book Line For Girls". Seventeen.
- "DC Announces Full "Rebirth" Line, Twice-Monthly Books, Lowered Price Point". CBR. 18 February 2016.
- Lamar, Cyriaque. "Why is DC Comics canceling and restarting all its superhero lines?". io9.
- "Marvel and Aurasma Show Off New Line Of Augmented Reality Comics". techcrunch.com.
- Capps, Kriston (3 November 2014). "Escape Claws: Why Wolverine Had to Die for the Sake of Marvel Comics". The Atlantic.
- "13 Defunct MARVEL Publishing Lines". Newsarama.