Linda L. Rice
Linda L. Rice (born March 7, 1964 in Racine, Wisconsin) is an American Thoroughbred horse racing trainer and bloodstock agent. A trainer of graded stakes race winners and licensed since 1987, she has won multiple trainer titles at major race meets in the eastern United States.
Since 2002, Rice has been a Board member of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association (NYTHA).
On August 18, 2008 at the Saratoga track, Rice's horses finished 1-2-3-4 in the Mechanicville Stakes.
Starts: 10,860 1st: 2,018 2nd: 1,635 3rd: 1,510 Purses earned: $81,514,078 (As of 4/3/20)
As reported by equibase
In 2009, Rice became the first woman in the modern era to win a trainer's title at a major U.S. racing circuit. She did so at Saratoga Race Course. She won the award with 75 starters, to the 135 starters of second-place finisher Todd Pletcher.
In addition to her win at Saratoga Racecourse in 2009, in 2011-2012 Rice won back-to-back training titles at Aqueduct Racetrack. In July 2011 she tied Todd Pletcher for top honors in the Spring/Summer meet at Belmont Park.
In 2017, having taken a stable of runners to the Laurel Park Spring meet in Maryland for the first time, Rice tied for the training title in number of wins, doing so with a 53% winning percentage. She had 51 starters to the 128 of her co-win leader, Keiron Magee.
- NYRA profile Linda Rice Retrieved July 28, 2019
- N Retrieved July 28, 2017
- February 1, 2017 Daily Racing Form (DRF) Retrieved July 24, 2017
- NYTHA profile of Linda Rice Retrieved July 28, 2017
- October 31, 2001 ESPN story titled "City Zip retired to New York farm" Retrieved July 27, 2017
- August 29, 2013 Forbes,com story titled "Thoroughbred Trainer Linda Rice A Groundbreaker For Women In Racing" retrieved July 27, 2017
- Daily Racing Form (DRF) January 6, 2016 story on the 2015 Eclipse Awards Retrieved July 30, 2017
- "Linda Rice Gets 2000th Career Win". Daily Racing Form at University of Kentucky Archives. 1942-06-27. Retrieved 2020-06-01.
- ESPN Sports September 10, 2009 story titled "Rice becomes Spa's top trainer" Retrieved July 7, 2017
- July 17 of 2011 Paulick Report story titled "Linda Rice gets win 1,000, earns share of Belmont meet title" Retrieved July 27, 2017
- May 8, 2017 Thoroughbred Daily News (TDN) story titled "With 53% Winners, Rice Ties for Laurel Title" Retrieved July 23, 2017