Limerick County (Dáil constituency)
Limerick County is a parliamentary constituency that has been represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas, since the 2016 general election. The constituency elects 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
|County council||Limerick City and County Council|
History and boundariesEdit
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the next general election a new constituency called Limerick County be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland so as to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. The constituency incorporates all of County Limerick excluding fourteen electoral divisions that are part of the Limerick City constituency in the north-eastern portion of the county.
The Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017 defines the constituency as:
- "The city and county of Limerick, except the parts thereof which are comprised in the constituency of Limerick City".
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Limerick County 2016–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2016 general electionEdit
|2016 general election: Limerick County|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6|
|Fianna Fáil||Niall Collins||27.6||12,276|
|Fine Gael||Tom Neville||18.0||8,013||8,214||8,291||8,874||9,217||10,369|
|Fine Gael||Patrick O'Donovan||19.1||8,479||8,637||8,712||9,183||9,498||10,291|
|Social Democrats||James Heffernan||7.4||3,270||3,463||3,698||4,319||5,662|
|Sinn Féin||Seamus Browne||7.5||3,347||3,465||3,550||3,783|
|Green Party||Alexander Storey Cosgrave||0.7||311||321|
|Direct Democracy||Mark Keogh||0.5||222||231|
|Electorate: 67,633 Valid: 44,412 Spoilt: 336 Quota: 11,104 Turnout: 44,748 (66.16%)|
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Limerick – Kerry area" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "General election 2016: Limerick County". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 20 February 2016.