Life, Above All
Life, Above All is a 2010 South African drama film directed by Oliver Schmitz. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2010 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the South African entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards and made the final shortlist announced in January 2011. The film was adapted from the novel Chanda's Secrets (2004) by Allan Stratton.
|Life, Above All|
|Directed by||Oliver Schmitz|
|Written by||Dennis Foon|
|Based on||Chanda's Secrets|
by Allan Stratton
|Edited by||Dirk Grau|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
- Khomotso Manyaka as Chanda Kabelo
- Keaobaka Makanyane as Esther Macholo
- Harriet Lenabe as Mrs. Tafa (as Harriet Manamela)
- Lerato Mvelase as Lillian
- Tinah Mnumzana as Aunt Lizbet
- Aubrey Poolo as Jonah
- Mapaseka Mathebe as Iris
- Thato Kgaladi as Soly
- Kgomotso Ditshweni as Dudu
- Rami Chuene as Aunty Ruth
The film received positive reviews from film critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 82% out of 71 professional critics gave the film a positive review, with a rating average of 7/10.
- "Festival de Cannes: Life, Above All". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "65 Countries Enter Race for 2010 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Life, Above All. Rotten Tomatoes. Flixter. Retrieved 13 January 2013.