Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota
The Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota is a political office in North Dakota. The Lieutenant Governor's duty is to preside as President of the Senate, and is responsible for legislative relations, the state budget and agribusiness development. In the event the office of the Governor becomes vacant, the Lieutenant Governor assumes that office and appoints a replacement lieutenant.
|Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota|
|North Dakota Office of the Governor|
|Term length||4 years|
|Inaugural holder||Alfred Dickey|
|Formation||November 20, 1889|
Before 1974, the Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota was elected separately from the Governor. To avoid hostile relations between a Lieutenant Governor and Governor from different parties, the process was changed to where the Governor and Lieutenant are elected together on a joint ballot and are of the same party.
Lieutenant Governors of North DakotaEdit
- Served as Governor of North Dakota
Living former Lieutenant Governors of North DakotaEdit
As of June 2019[update], six former lieutenant governors of North Dakota were alive, the oldest being Rosemarie Myrdal (served 1992–2000, born 1929). The most recent death of a former lieutenant governor of North Dakota was that of Ernest Sands (served 1981–1985, born 1922), on April 9, 2012. The most recent serving lieutenant governor to die was Ruth Meiers (served 1985–1987, born 1925), who died in office on March 19, 1987.
|Lt. Governor||Lt. Gubernatorial term||Date of birth (and age)|
|Richard F. Larsen||1969–1973||1936 (age 82–83)|
|Wayne G. Sanstead||1973–1981||April 16, 1935|
|Lloyd Omdahl||1987–1992||January 5, 1931|
|Rosemarie Myrdal||1992–2000||May 20, 1929|
|Jack Dalrymple||2000–2010||October 16, 1948|
|Drew Wrigley||2010–2016||October 10, 1965|
- "Constitution of North Dakota" (PDF). North Dakota Legislative Assembly. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- "Governor-Elect Doug Burgum holds first press conference after winning election". www.kfyrtv.com. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "North Dakota Legislature: Measures Before the Voters" (PDF). Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- Smith, Nick. "Ernest Sands, former lieutenant governor, dies". Bismarck Tribune. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "Ruth Meiers, N.D. Lt. Governor Who Battled Cancer, Dies at 61". March 20, 1987. Retrieved June 27, 2019 – via LA Times.