Liberty National is a country club in Jersey City, New Jersey adjacent to Liberty State Park on the Upper New York Bay. Its clubhouse, guest villas, teaching center, and "Cafe 12" halfway house were designed by Lindsay Newman Architecture and Design and the course was designed by Robert E. Cupp and Tom Kite.
|Coordinates||40°41′49″N 74°04′05″W / 40.697°N 74.068°W|
|Location||Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Owned by||Paul Fireman|
|Events hosted||The Barclays|
|Greens||Bentgrass - A4|
|Fairways||Bentgrass - L93|
|Designed by||Lindsay Newman |
Architecture & Design,
Robert Cupp &
|Length||7,387 yards (6,755 m)|
|Course record||60 Cameron Smith (2021)|
The club cost over $250 million to build, making it one of the most expensive golf courses in history. Club designers added amenities such as an on-site helistop, yacht services, spa, and restaurant.
Liberty National hosted The Northern Trust (formerly The Barclays and the Westchester Classic), in 2009, 2013, 2019, and 2021. In 2009, Heath Slocum won with a score of 275 (–9), one stroke ahead of four runners-up. In August 2013, Australian Adam Scott won by one stroke over four runners-up. Due to negative feedback from many players in 2009, the course underwent many changes prior to the 2013 playing.
In 2019, The Northern Trust – the first of three events of the PGA TOUR's FedEx Cup Playoffs – was played at Liberty National from August 8–11. It was won by Patrick Reed, with a score of 268 (–16). In 2021, it was again the first event of the FedEx Cup Playoffs and was won by Tony Finau with a score of 264 (–20).
On June 1-4, 2023, it hosted its first LPGA event, the Mizuho Americas Open, overlooking the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline.
Liberty National hosted the Presidents Cup in 2017.
Caven Point controversyEdit
Caven Point is a 22-acre (8.9 ha) bird sanctuary in Liberty State Park along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway adjacent to the golf course. The owners of the course would like to lease the land to expand the course with additional holes. The proposal would require privatization of publicly-owned land and disruption of the fragile ecosystem. Proposals to protect the land have been made in the New Jersey Legislature to specifically protect the park from commercial development without a severe vetting process and public scrutiny.
|Tournament||77.7 / 155||398||219||395||193||427||538||484||611||474||3739||513||250||431||563||150||481||325||445||490||3648||7387|
|Medal||74.2 / 142||365||196||365||163||401||523||445||565||360||3383||496||225||363||521||146||444||285||428||471||3379||6762|
|Liberty||72.9 / 141||365||171||365||153||401||498||413||537||360||3263||496||193||363||489||146||423||285||428||414||3237||6500|
|Member||72.2 / 134||339||171||345||153||386||498||413||537||347||3189||453||193||324||489||131||423||261||387||414||3075||6264|
|Regular||69.6 / 120||319||142||322||136||344||465||381||485||330||2924||424||153||301||446||114||401||248||348||389||2824||5748|
|Forward||72.4 / 135||293||137||277||107||304||438||353||453||269||2631||374||113||262||414||98||366||224||297||325||2473||5104|
Liberty National has notable members such as:
- ^ "Fact Sheet : The Barclays". GCSAA. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- ^ "The Barclays: Course". PGA Tour. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- ^ "The Presidents Cup" (PDF). GCSAA. Tournament fact sheets. September 2017. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- ^ "Course Rating and Slope Database: Liberty National Golf Club". USGA. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- ^ a b c d e Hack, Damon (May 16, 2007). "PGA Tournament With a View of the New York City Skyline". The New York Times. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- ^ a b "$129-million Liberty National Golf Course Opens in Jersey City". New Jersey Business. 54 (8). August 2006. Archived from the original on March 11, 2014. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- ^ "Barclays tournament to Liberty National in 2009". USA Today. May 16, 2007. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- ^ "This Week in Golf - August 21st through August 24th". August 18, 2008. Archived from the original on May 25, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- ^ "Adam Scott wins PGA Tour's Barclays event in New Jersey". BBC Sport. 2013-08-25. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- ^ "Liberty National's hole-by-hole changes". PGA Tour. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- ^ "Mizuho Americas Open". mizuho. Retrieved June 1, 2023.
- ^ Journal, Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey (July 12, 2020). "Ultra-exclusive Liberty National Golf Club received up to $1 million PPP loan". nj.
- ^ Tully, Tracey (January 9, 2020). "Golf Club for the 1 Percent Wants to Seize a Migratory Bird Habitat (Published 2020)" – via NYTimes.com.
- ^ "S3357". www.njleg.state.nj.us.
- ^ "A4903". www.njleg.state.nj.us.
- ^ "Scorecard" (PDF). www.libertynationalgc.com. Retrieved 2021-02-05.