Liberty High School (Brentwood, California)
Liberty High School is located in Brentwood, California, United States. Liberty High School is a comprehensive 9-12 grade high school serving approximately 2400 students. It was founded in 1902 as Liberty Union High School.
|Liberty High School|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and gold|
Liberty is organized into four Small Learning Communities (SLC). SLC leadership teams include an Assistant Principal, Counselor, SLC coordinator and Academy Director. Career specific academy programs are available to students in grades 10-12. These programs highlight Business and Technology, Health Careers, Teaching and Learning Careers, Arts and Humanities.
Liberty is well known for their Student Learning Careers, such as the TLC academy for students who plan on childcare or teaching careers, as well as their PADA academy for art-oriented students.
Liberty High School's official newspaper is The Lion's Roar. This quarterly publication is typically eight pages in length and is produced by approximately twenty students enrolled in Journalism. It was the second place bracket winner of the American Scholastic Press Association's newspaper competition for two years.[when?]
- Chris Gruler, drafted #1 by the Cincinnati Reds, 3rd overall in the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft, minor league baseball pitcher
- Brent Mydland keyboardist and vocalist for the Grateful Dead from 1979 to 1990.
- Matt Riley, drafted in the 3rd round by the Baltimore Orioles in the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft
- Lisa Joann Thompson, dancer, actress, and choreographer, starred in In Living Color, Fame L.A., and Motown Live
Liberty High staff violated section 35183.3 of the California Education Code when they refused to allow a U.S. Army Reserve Private First Class to attend his graduation in Army Class A uniform. On June 9th 2017 school officials told PFC Harland J Fletcher would not be allowed to walk unless he wore a robe over the uniform. The covering of a Class A uniform in this manner is a violation of Army rules. PFC Fletcher was told he, “can pick up the diploma in the office on Monday.” After this controversy, Principal Patrick Walsh stepped down and resigned. Heather Harper then took over.
The school is home to the sports team, Lions. Numerous sports compete in the North Coast Section Championships. On December 2, 2017, Liberty's varsity football team, led by first year head coach Ryan Partridge, beat the Freedom Falcons 37-0 to win their first ever NCS Championship.
- Official Liberty High School Webpage - Profile
- Seldon, Aja; KRON (2017-06-10). "Student barred from walking at graduation in Army Service uniform". KRON4.com. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- Lefkow, Mike (December 3, 2017). "NCS football playoffs: Liberty saves its best for the title game against Freedom". themercurynews.com. Retrieved December 3, 2016.