The lesser yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) is a medium-sized shorebird. The genus name Tringa is the New Latin name given to the green sandpiper by Aldrovandus in 1599 based on Ancient Greek trungas, a thrush-sized, white-rumped, tail-bobbing wading bird mentioned by Aristotle. The specific flavipes is from Latin flavus, "yellow", and pes, "foot".
This species is similar in appearance to the larger greater yellowlegs, although it is more closely related to the much larger willet; the fine, clear and dense pattern of the neck shown in breeding plumage indicates these species' actual relationships.
A medium-large shorebird, the lesser yellowlegs measures 27 cm (11 in). The legs are yellow. Compared to the greater yellowlegs, the bill is shorter (visually about the same length as the head), slim, straight, and uniformly dark. The breast is streaked and the flanks are finely marked with short bars.
These birds forage in shallow water, sometimes using their bill to stir up the water. They mainly eat insects, small fish and crustaceans.
The call of this bird is softer than that of the greater yellowlegs.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Tringa flavipes". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.old-form url
- Jobling, James A (2010). The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. London: Christopher Helm. pp. 161, 390. ISBN 978-1-4081-2501-4.
- Pereira, Sérgio Luiz; Baker, Alan J. (2005). "Multiple gene evidence for parallel evolution and retention of ancestral morphological states in the shanks (Charadriiformes: Scolopacidae)". The Condor. 107 (3): 514–526. doi:10.1650/0010-5422(2005)107[0514:MGEFPE]2.0.CO;2.
- Scott, Shirley L., ed. (1994). Field Guide to the Birds of North America (2nd ed.). The National Geographic Society. pp. 114–115, 137. ISBN 0-87044-692-4.
- "Leser Yellowlegs (species profile)" at the Natural Lizard website (retrieved 5 April 2019)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lesser yellowlegs.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Tringa flavipes|
- Lesser yellowlegs species account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Lesser yellowlegs - Tringa flavipes - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- "Tringa flavipes". Avibase.
- "Lesser yellowlegs media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Lesser yellowlegs photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Tringa flavipes at IUCN Red List maps