|Born||July 22, 1991|
Manchester, United Kingdom
|Other names||The Miracle|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Manchester, UK|
|Team||All Powers MMA (2013–2019) |
Manchester Top Team (2019–present)
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Murphy, born and raised in Old Trafford, went to St Edward's Primary School in Rusholme and St Anne's High Catholic High School in Heaton Chapel, Stockport. He had been a promising footballer, who went on trials for Liverpool and had trained with both Stockport County and FC United as a teenager, until at the age of 16 he suffered a serious knee injury that prematurely ended his football dreams. Being the nephew of Manchester boxing trainer, the late Oliver Harrison, who had trained the likes of Amir Khan and Rocky Fielding, Murphy had done some boxing training, but started his MMA training when he walked into the All Powers gym.
On Saturday May 25, 2013, Lerone having just left a barber shop on Lloyd Street South in the Manchester suburb of Fallowfield, was shot by a gunman. Lerone was hit by three bullets, being hit on the face and neck twice. Due to the injuries, Murphy had to get a set of prosthetic teeth and has a tiny shard of bullet, permanently embedded in his tongue.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Making his MMA debut at FCC 15, he faced Martin Fouda and went on to defeat him via unanimous decision. Murphy would go on to defeat Tyler Thomas at Tanko FC 3, Jamie Lee at FCC 18, Nathan Thompson at FCC 19, Terry Doyle at FightStar Championship 14, all via first round TKO. He would go on to defeat his next two opponents via unanimous decision; James McErlean at Evolution Of Combat Fight Night 2 and Anton De Paepe at Celtic Gladiator 22. For his final appearance on the UK regional scene, Murphy won the FCC Featherweight Championship at FCC 23 against Manolo Schianna via TKO in the first round.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Murphy made his UFC debut against Zubaira Tukhugov, who was returning after a three-year lay-off, on September 7, 2019 at UFC 242. The back-and-forth fight ended in a split draw with one judge assigning each fighter a 29-28 win and the third seeing it as a 28-28 draw.
After his second fight in the promotion, Murphy re-signed with the UFC.
Murphy was scheduled to face Nate Landwehr on March 26, 2022 at UFC on ESPN: Blaydes vs. Daukaus. However, Murphy withdrew from the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by David Onama.
Murphy has a son.
Championships and achievementsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||11 wins||0 losses|
|Win||11–0–1||Makwan Amirkhani||KO (knee)||UFC 267||October 30, 2021||2||0:14||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||10–0–1||Douglas Silva de Andrade||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Chiesa vs. Magny||January 20, 2021||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||9–0–1||Ricardo Ramos||TKO (punches)||UFC on ESPN: Kattar vs. Ige||July 16, 2020||1||4:18||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Performance of the Night.|
|Draw||8–0–1||Zubaira Tukhugov||Draw (split)||UFC 242||September 7, 2019||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||8–0||Manolo Scianna||TKO (punches)||Full Contact Contender 23||May 18, 2019||1||2:22||Bolton, England||Won the FCC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Ayton De Paepe||Decision (unanimous)||Celtic Gladiator 22||November 30, 2018||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Win||6–0||James McErlean||Decision (unanimous)||Evolution Of Combat: Fight Night 2||September 1, 2018||3||5:00||Morecambe, England|
|Win||5–0||Terry Doyle||TKO (punches)||FightStar Championship 14||April 14, 2018||1||0:42||London, England||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||4–0||Nathan Thompson||TKO (punches)||Full Contact Contender 19||September 30, 2017||1||0:48||Bolton, England|
|Win||3–0||Jamie Lee||TKO (punches)||Full Contact Contender 18||April 15, 2017||1||3:55||Bolton, England|
|Win||2–0||Tyler John Thomas||TKO (punches)||Tanko Fighting Championships 3||February 11, 2017||1||1:55||Manchester, England|
|Win||1–0||Martin Fouda Afana Bipouna||Decision (unanimous)||Full Contact Contender 15||March 5, 2016||3||5:00||Bolton, England||Lightweight debut.|
- "Stats | UFC". ufcstats.com. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Chris Slater (27 July 2020). "How Lerone Murphy survived being shot in the face in Manchester to become UFC's fast-rising star". anchestereveningnews.co.uk. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Harry Williams (21 February 2020). "Seizing the moment: Lerone Murphy talks opportunity, debut; London return". severemma.com.
- "Lerone Murphy | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- Myles Painter (7 September 2020). "Across the Pond Profile: UFC fighter Lerone Murphy". mmauk.net. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Marcel Dorff. "Zubaira Tukhugov treft ongeslagen debutant Lerone Murphy tijdens UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi" (in Dutch). Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- Anderson, Jay (7 September 2019). "UFC 242 Results: Zubaira Tukhugov Returns from Suspension, Battles Lerone Murphy to Draw". Cageside Press. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- Marcel Dorff. "Ricardo Ramos vs. Lerone Murphy toegevoegd aan UFC evenement op 15 juli in Abu Dhabi" (in Dutch). Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- Doherty, Dan (15 July 2020). "UFC Fight Island 1 Results: Lerone Murphy Stops Ricardo Ramos After Slow Start". Cageside Press. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- Dave Doyle (16 July 2020). "UFC on ESPN 13 bonuses: Weight miss costs Abdul Razak Alhassan $50K for 'Fight of the Night'". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- Raj Sarkar (7 September 2020). "You Haven't Seen My Full Potential Yet- Lerone Murphy". essentiallysports.com. Retrieved 20 October 2020.
- Marcel Dorff (3 December 2020). "Lerone Murphy vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade tijdens midweeks evenement op 20 januari 2021". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 3 December 2020.
- Jay Anderson (20 January 2021). "UFC Fight Island 8 Results: Lerone Murphy Passes Test Against Douglas Silva de Andrade". cagesidepress. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- Marcel Dorff (24 May 2021). "Frans-Canadezen krijgen gevechten tijdens UFC evenement op 14 augustus". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 24 May 2021.
- DNA, MMA (24 August 2021). "BREAKING: Julian Erosa nieuwe tegenstander van Charles Jourdain op 4 september". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 25 August 2021.
- "With Tristan Connelly out, Lerone Murphy steps in to face Makwan Amirkhani at UFC 267". MMA Junkie. 28 September 2021. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Evanoff, Josh (30 October 2021). "UFC 267 Results: Lerone Murphy KO's Makwan Amirkhani". Cageside Press. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- "Nate Landwehr vs. Lerone Murphy added to UFC Fight Night on March 26". MMA Junkie. 12 January 2022. Retrieved 12 January 2022.
- Dorff Marcel (5 March 2022). "UFC Columbus Onama replaces Murphy against Landwehr on March 26". Eurosport (in Dutch). Retrieved 5 March 2022.
- Mike Bohn (31 October 2021). "MMA Junkie's 'Knockout of the Month' for October: A perfect knee". MMAjunkie.com.
- Sherdog.com. "Lerone Murphy". Sherdog. Retrieved 7 August 2020.