|Comune di Lercara Friddi|
|Metropolitan city||Palermo (PA)|
|Frazioni||Malpasso, Passo Putiaro|
|• Mayor||Luciano Marino|
|• Total||37.49 km2 (14.47 sq mi)|
|Elevation||675 m (2,215 ft)|
(1 January 2021)
|• Density||170/km2 (440/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Holy Mary of Constantinople|
|Saint day||20 August|
Founded in 1595 by local feudataries, it is on the slopes of Madore Hill, between the valleys of Fiumetorto and Platani rivers. In the past it was an important mining centre, the only one in the province of Palermo where sulphur was excavated.
On December 25, 1893, eleven people were killed in the Lercara Friddi massacre during the Fasci Siciliani uprising after a rally of peasants and sulphur miners that asked for the abolition of taxes and better working conditions.
- Andrea Finocchiaro Aprile (1878–1964), politician
- Mauro Picone (1885–1977), mathematician
- Anthony Martin Sinatra (1892–1969), professional boxer and father of singer, Frank Sinatra (1915–1998)
- Lucky Luciano (1897–1962), crime boss
- Pietro Scaglione (1906–1971), magistrate
- Nicolò Nicolosi (1912–1986), football player and manager
- Pietro Lo Forte (1920–2004), musician
- Frédéric François (b. 1950), singer-songwriter
- Daniel Bellino-Zwicke (b. 1958), cookbook author
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- (in Italian) Natale 1893, la strage di Lercara Archived 2013-12-11 at the Wayback Machine, La Sicilia, December 31, 2010
GRANDMA BELLINO'S COOKBOOK by Daniel Bellin Z ..