Leopold II, Prince of Lippe
Leopold II of Lippe (Paul Alexander Leopold; 6 November 1796 – 1 January 1851) was the sovereign of the Principality of Lippe. He succeeded to the throne in 1802, and in 1820 he assumed control of the government from his mother who had been acting as regent due to his youth at accession.
|Prince of Lippe|
|Reign||5 November 1802 – 1 January 1851|
|Born||6 November 1796|
|Died||1 January 1851 (aged 54)|
|Issue||Leopold III, Prince of Lippe|
Woldemar, Prince of Lippe
Alexander, Prince of Lippe
|Father||Leopold I, Prince of Lippe|
|Mother||Pauline of Anhalt-Bernburg|
Leopold II was born in Detmold, the eldest child of Leopold I, the reigning prince of Lippe and his consort Princess Pauline of Anhalt-Bernburg (1769–1820). He succeeded as Prince of Lippe on his father's death on 5 November 1802. As he was just six years old his mother Princess Pauline acted as regent until 3 July 1820 when he assumed control of the government. During the regency, his mother had introduced a constitution in 1819 which created an assembly which at the time had more executive powers than any other assembly in Germany.
Marriage and childrenEdit
- Leopold III, Prince of Lippe (1821–1875), married to princess Elisabeth of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (1833–1896) on 17 April 1852.
- Princess Luise of Lippe (1822–1887)
- Woldemar, Prince of Lippe (1824–1895), married to princess Sophie of Baden (7 August 1834 – 6 April 1904) on 9 November 1858.
- Princess Friederike of Lippe (1825–1897)
- Prince Friedrich of Lippe (1827–1854)
- Prince Hermann of Lippe (1829–1884)
- Alexander, Prince of Lippe (1831–1905)
- Prince Karl of Lippe (1832–1834)
- Princess Pauline of Lippe (1834–1906)
- Almanach de Gotha (87th ed.). Justus Perthes. 1850. p. 38.
- Knight, Charles (1839). Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. p. 37.
- Gadberry, Glen W (1995). Theatre in the Third Reich, the Prewar Years: Essays on Theatre in Nazi Germany. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 33, 34. ISBN 0-313-29516-6.
- "The Gentleman's Magazine". 1851. p. 335.
Leopold II, Prince of LippeBorn: 6 November 1796 Died: 1 January 1851
| Prince of Lippe