Leonel Suárez Fajardo (born September 1, 1987 in Santiago de Cuba) is a decathlete from Cuba. He was bronze medalist in the event at the 2012 Summer Olympics, 2008 Summer Olympics and silver medalist at the 2009 World Championships. He won a third consecutive global medal at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics, taking bronze.
|Full name||Leonel Suárez Fajardo|
|Born||1 September 1987|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||78 kg (172 lb)|
|Event(s)||Decathlon / Heptathlon|
|Updated on 4 July 2013.|
His personal best for the decathlon is 8654 points (which set in Havana, winning the 2009 Central American and Caribbean Championships).
Suárez was fourth at the 2007 Pan American Games. In 2008, he was also fourth at Hypo-Meeting (setting a national record of 8366 pts) and finished as runner-up in the IAAF World Combined Events Challenge that year. He scored a gold medal at the 2009 Central American and Caribbean Championships in Athletics.
He competed at the 2010 IAAF World Indoor Championships, but only managed seventh place. In the outdoor season, he was runner-up at the 2010 Multistars meeting in Desenzano del Garda, finishing with 8112 points behind American Jake Arnold. He was third at the Hypo-Meeting at the end of May, but he reached the top of the podium at the Décastar competition in Talence with a total of 8328 points.
At the 2011 Hypo Meeting he threw a meeting record of 75.49 m in the javelin, although his final score of 8440 points for second place was some distance behind the winner Trey Hardee. After a modest start at the 2011 TNT - Fortuna Meeting, he began the second day in ninth place but he pulled himself back into contention and, helped by a pole vault best of 5.00 m, he took the men's title with a total of 8231 points. At the 2011 World Championships in Athletics in August, Suárez won the bronze medal in decathlon with a final points tally of 8501. Although he had not won all of is outings, his consistent high scores over the three meetings earned him the IAAF Combined Events Challenge title that year.
- Decathlon: 8654 pts – Havana, 4 July 2009
- Leonel Suarez's profile at the IAAF site
- Sampaolo, Diego (2010-05-10). Arnold and Goncharova prevail in Desenzano del Garda – IAAF Combined Events Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-04.
- van Kuijen, Hans (2010-09-19). Suarez and Chernova prevail in Talence - IAAF World Combined Events Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-19.
- Sampaolo, Diego (2011-05-29). World champions Hardee and Ennis set world season leads in Götzis - IAAF Combined Events Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-06-18.
- Procházka, Michal (2011-06-17). Chernova impresses with 6773pts tally in Kladno – IAAF Combined Events Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-06-18.
- Hart, Simon (August 28, 2011). "World Athletics Championships 2011: American Trey Hardee retains decathlon title as Ashton Eaton fades". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Suárez and Chernova are the overall winners of the 2011 IAAF Combined Events Challenge. IAAF (2011-09-22). Retrieved on 2011-10-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leonel Suárez.|